Page 748 of 762 FirstFirst ... 248648698738747748749758 ... LastLast
Results 26,146 to 26,180 of 26661

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I did Gary, which is why I asked if you’d read the one that I had posted - which I thought had (perhaps wrongly) had clarified the makeup of school funding

I don’t know anything about Knox grammar and clearly I’m missing something here, but it seems to me that the the general thought through this discussion is that anyone who sends their children to a Catholic or other religious based school or anything other than a State school (Government sector school), must be wealthy. And that anyone who sends their children to a State school must be poor...????
    I know a number of people who sent their kids to catholic schools who were not rich but found the money. I believe because the class sizes are smaller. I should ask some of them why.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    We have a married couple friends, both who teach in the Catholic sector. They are having a sleep in in our spare room as I type. One at a top fee paying school, the other in a struggling one. Part of the problem, if you accept the principle of subsidising a church based school is that the money to the Catholic sector (and maybe other religious sectors) is paid into the Education Office and it's up to them to distribute it. Aleegations are that most goes to the big profit making schools, and not to where it's needed most. There is no independent audit of the subsidy so who knows.
    It's been so for a long time.

Frankly I'm more disgusted at our Government's behaviour in Tuvalu. But then that's been going on for a while too, Australian governments' disgusting behaviours.
    Comments by Michael McCormack have been at best disrespectful but the man is just another coal loving climate denier. He stated we just gave $500 million to our Pacific Islands friends. What he didn’t point out is that it’s not new funding but rather aid money that has been taken from somewhere else. These idiots have no idea of the damage they are doing.
    As for Alan Jones comments about NZs PM which he will no doubt get away with...what an execrable bit of low life he is.

BTW, re my comments about the Catholic Education office and Audits, the banking RC has shown us that the myth of the Independent Auditor may be just that, a myth.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Comments by Michael McCormack have been at best disrespectful but the man is just another coal loving climate denier. He stated we just gave $500 million to our Pacific Islands friends. What he didn’t point out is that it’s not new funding but rather aid money that has been taken from somewhere else. These idiots have no idea of the damage they are doing.
    As for Alan Jones comments about NZs PM which he will no doubt get away with...what an execrable bit of low life he is.
    You ought to hear what the Kiwis living here say about her. She's featherweight, at best... just mouthing populist sentiments. Look at what she stood for at the election. Look at how she got power. Look at her Deputy.

BTW... aid money isn't an entitlement. We are free to give it, or not, as we please. Maybe we should stop giving it for a while.....
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    You ought to hear what the Kiwis living here say about her. She's featherweight, at best... just mouthing populist sentiments. Look at what she stood for at the election. Look at how she got power. Look at her Deputy.

BTW... aid money isn't an entitlement. We are free to give it, or not, as we please. Maybe we should stop giving it for a while.....
    Who’s talking about entitlement? Scomo has given the impression that it’s new funding when all he has done is stripped it from somewhere else. Anyway it’s an insulting sop...here’s half a billion now shut up about our coal.
    As for Jacinda, if you don’t like her she must be doing something right.

600 jobs on a temporary basis against preservation of rainforest with millions of years of history and species development.
    The protesters were correct, and the police, though wedged, were the instruments of private profit and destruction.
    And Ian commenting about Jacinta and his kiwi mates opinions? phfft…...

Who’s talking about entitlement? Scomo has given the impression that it’s new funding when all he has done is stripped it from somewhere else. Anyway it’s an insulting sop...here’s half a billion now shut up about our coal.
    As for Jacinda, if you don’t like her she must be doing something right.
    Spoken like a true leftie. None of it is new money. It's OUR money. Those of us who pay tax, that is. You should try it sometime... it might give you a new appreciation of the political playground.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Spoken like a true leftie. None of it is new money. It's OUR money. Those of us who pay tax, that is. You should try it sometime... it might give you a new appreciation of the political playground.
    You need to brush up on your comprehension skills again and once again you resort to attempted insult...because it doesn’t work anymore. Good for getting women banned but not me.

You need to brush up on your comprehension skills again and once again you resort to attempted insult...because it doesn’t work anymore. Good for getting women banned but not me.
    Attempted insult? Where's the insult? If I wanted to insult, I'd do it.... but I'm a nice chap.

It's not about money for Tuvalu, a million truckloads won't help there, except I suppose with a million truckloads of money they could buy their way into almost anywhere. There's not many of them, less than a footy crowd at a minor oval.

I expect we have a lousy, and deservedly so, reputation round the pacific. After the Timor spying matter I would not be surprised at all. We have long since missed that boat.

Attempted insult? Where's the insult? If I wanted to insult, I'd do it.... but I'm a nice chap.
    Your social skills leave much to be desired then.

Your social skills leave much to be desired then.
    I'm sure I can find a lady or two to speak for my social skills...........

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

China?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Jones gets one more chance. I would have shown him the door.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...n-2gb/11424876

This is a time when I really miss Peter as the China/US issue comes to the fore. And just as it's playing out as we had discussed for quite a few years. I frankly don't think this Government, or the Opposition know what to do or even how to start, having had their head in the US sand bucket for far too many years. Both would have been badly split by the issue. China is well on the way to surrounding us with influence and personnel in the Pacific islands and PNG for that matter. They sent a gunboat a couple of monts ago just to show the flag. Add in the influence of China in our universities and schools caused by the reliance of fees to finance their operations. Uni. funding being cut back by the Libs over some years.
    We have well and truly missed the Pacific relationship boat and that has been obvious for quite some time. Naru and Manus do not help. I doubt we can resist being corralled into the Chinese version of the Greater Co-prosperity Sphere in the quite medium run. Money talks and the Chinese have scads of it. Aus. with this government has made a choice and it will have consequences. The US OTOH only has debts caused by their hubris, lies to their own citizens and OS adventurism on behalf of private business. donald has likely changed the course of what can risibly be called US foreign policy irrevocably but it always has weather vaned back and forth with changing admin's.
    We arte living in interesting times eh?
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-17-2019 at 06:19 PM.

We have well and truly missed the Pacific relationship ......
    The way we are treating our neighbours is as an act of extraordinary arrogance.
    Scomo and his pacific 'family' - are we even acquaintances now? Are our neighbours even prepared to look us in the eye? Could we have insulted them more than dismissing the very real existential threat they face?

He's taking a lot for granted.

A scared population votes conservative…………..

I note a call for a change in our military priorities, more concentration on defence in our own northern areas and less on cooperation with the US. The writer assumes that the US will be to an extent be replaced by China, given the proliferation of new Chinese medium range missiles, the vulnerability of US capital assets to such weaponry, and the likely time lag of at least a week as the US fights it's way into our area to begin the fight. Allowing China to take over those atolls, their loans and investments, and the ongoing establishment of friendly ports in the area like Cambodia, and Darwin have changed the game………..

A scared population votes conservative…………..

I note a call for a change in our military priorities, more concentration on defence in our own northern areas and less on cooperation with the US. The writer assumes that the US will be to an extent be replaced by China, given the proliferation of new Chinese medium range missiles, the vulnerability of US capital assets to such weaponry, and the likely time lag of at least a week as the US fights it's way into our area to begin the fight. Allowing China to take over those atolls, their loans and investments, and the ongoing establishment of friendly ports in the area like Cambodia, and Darwin have changed the game………..
    I have to admit I agree, it would be sad irony if we find ourselves in a 1942 situation in 2042.

I’m not holding my breath but I am hoping that poor excuse for a government down in Canberra says no to Trump. Trump caused the problem with Iran, let him solve it.

I have no doubt at all that one day soon we will have to make a decision. And that our political setup is not in any condition to be open enough to allow the voters to take part in the decision. Some PM with far too much power will follow his prejudice, or his pocket, or his invisible friend.

It seems donald wants out of Afghanistan. Needs an electoral boost. The Iran dispute is all of donald's making as he hates anything a black man did in the white house. We should not encourage him, he can reinstate the previous agreement…..if Iran allows of course. An d then China is Iran's biggest oil customer…..
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-19-2019 at 01:42 AM.

And I see that the government is backing away at speed from any commitment to Aboriginal recognition. Wyatt has been white anted by his own side. Predictable of course..

Quote Originally Posted by stevebaby View Post
    I'm just warming the engine. Wait till the light turns green.
    I was looking through the thread and found this from Stevebaby…..
    The light has turned green alright, don't let the rubes off the hook, or the Government get away with anything.

So I have the impression that London and Hong Kong have traditionally been the great financial centres of the world. Both are falling apart very quickly. Theoretically offices can move and life goes on, but in reality, a financial melt down? Waddya think?

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

I've thought things might get sticky for a while. The world will be very fortunate to dodge a recession if your scenarion becomes a reality.
    Honkers is the financial window into China for most of the worlds large companies because of it's comparative freedom, it's reliable commercial legal system and the least likelyhood of being banged up on spurious charges because someone in the Chinese hierarchy wants their fingers in your pie.
    Short term at least China would loose in a takeover but I reckon that will not stop them. Logic does not apply.
    If a unconditional Brexit goes through so, likely, is London.
    Singapore is the obvious alternative at present, but Paris, Bonn, and the US will likely put their oar in. If donald gets another term that may rule the US out. I doubt Aus will get a look in.

Brussels seems to be where most of the City firms are relocating to, but a lot of people with careers, friends and family in London don't want to move to Brussels. Going to lose a lot of smart people.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    So I have the impression that London and Hong Kong have traditionally been the great financial centres of the world. Both are falling apart very quickly. Theoretically offices can move and life goes on, but in reality, a financial melt down? Waddya think?

Ever heard of some place called New York?

Of course, but will loose cannon donald make the US somewhat suspect as to reliability?

Some sensible advice to our lefties

Joe Hildebrand: A message to the lost tribes of the left wing

AUGUST 11, 2019 9:15AM

The Raheem Kassam visa dispute has developed into a free speech versus hate speech debate on the international stage.

This time last week I wrote a long, considered piece arguing that free speech, even that considered offensive or “hate speech”, should not be banned — with the obvious and explicit exception of any incitement to violence.

I put forward a number of reasons both principled and practical but chief among them was that allowing freedom of expression is an invaluable way of identifying extremist sentiments in society and hopefully, through reason and open discourse, turning those sentiments around.

The piece was written in response to calls to ban a right-wing UK activist from entering Australia and as it turned out, the reaction to the piece overwhelmingly proved its point.

The only irony is that the extremists it identified were all on the Left.

RELATED: We need to hear hate speech, not ban it
    RELATED: The sexist scandal we all missed
    RELATED: ‘Trump’s a racist, but who cares’

Indeed, the reactions themselves were also crippled by their own internal irony. It was, as anyone who witnessed the response on social media will know, a volcanic eruption of abuse all exploding in the name of peace and tolerance.

Now before anyone shrieks hypocrisy — even if certain people struggle to tell the difference between free speech and abuse — I’m not going to complain or name and shame individuals. But to illustrate the point, here are just a few examples.

One respondent opened by calling me a “c**t” and then, in the very same tweet, bemoaned the lack of civil discourse in public debate.

Another began their first tweet with the words, “get f***ed Joe” and then in their second, complained that I wouldn’t have a polite discussion with them.

A third quipped: “Nothing good ever comes out of Dandenong” — a reference to my home town, one of the poorest, most multicultural and working-class Labor suburbs in the country. She was also, apparently, a Labor supporter.

Joe Hildebrand wrote an article about free speech and how right wing activists like Raheem Kassam should not be banned from Australia. And boy, did he cop it. Picture: Dan Kitwood/Getty Images Source: Getty Images

There were also the obligatory pictures of dead bodies in Nazi concentration camps — according to the new hard Left narrative, history’s most infamous book-burners were in fact diehard free speech advocates.

And of course the more vicious the abuse, the more voiceless and victimised the abusers claimed to be. They also appeared to be mostly white and university educated, both statistically unusual indicators of oppression.

You honestly could not make this stuff up and it is a sad reflection of where we are at that we don’t have to.

The reason for this is probably not so much a rise in extreme Left sentiment in the community but the advent of platforms that allow it to be spread so effortlessly and widely. In order to return to Russia to start the October Revolution, Vladimir Lenin had to travel 2000 miles over eight days by train. These days you only have to literally hit return.

To get an idea of just how extreme Lenin was, this was someone who described a fellow socialist as a “detestable centrist”, accepted the patronage of the despicable autocratic German Kaiser (who was using him as a pawn to sabotage the Russian front in World War I), and then returned to Russia to overthrow a revolution that had already taken place because the first revolution wasn’t extreme enough.

Russia was thus turned from a miserable imperialist slaughterhouse to a miserable socialist slaughterhouse. And so imagine my lack of surprise when one of my more vociferous anti-free speech Twitter critics proudly described themselves as “Left of Lenin”.

And they are far from alone in doing so.

Of course, I was a student socialist back in the day but at least my influence was limited to whoever I was chanting at on the steps of Parliament House or having a bucket bong with in my lounge room. And at least, unlike Lenin and many of my then-comrades, I had the good grace to actually be poor.

These days, as then, socialism is the domain of the disaffected, upper middle-class so-called intellectual. The only difference is that these days such insufferable twats can bang on about it 24 hours a day, creating the impression that it is a growing movement rather than just a spreading disease.

And of course because it is the domain of the over-privileged, the causes du jour have shifted from elevating the poor — or the “dictatorship of the proletariat” as Lenin so progressively proclaimed — to the niche obsessions of identity politics that have so dominated public debate.

Say what you like about Vlad, at least he wouldn’t have slagged off Dandenong.

But just like Vlad, they see anyone on the right as a fascist and even centrists as fascist enablers.

And while the brutally oppressed and impoverished people of 1917 Russia can be forgiven for embracing such an ideology, no one with even a passing understanding of history or complex thought could hold such a view in the information age. These are people less interested in backstories than backs against the wall.

‘At least, unlike Lenin (pictured) … I had the good grace to actually be poor,’ writes Joe Hildebrand. Source: News Limited

This brings us to the most profound response to left-wing extremism, which is the number of sensible, compassionate and thoughtful people who once considered themselves progressive but now feel abandoned and isolated, as the movement has been hijacked by hardcore ideologues. And little wonder.

As one former fellow traveller mournfully said: “ALP/Greens/lefty social democrat my entire life … and I am really starting to detest the left. De. Test.”

Another: “My upbringing and instinct too but increasingly embarrassed at the level of self-bull****, hysteria, hate/division and gesture politics in Left circles.”

Another: “I’m feeling you man. Their hysterical application of ‘fascism’, their antagonism to free speech, their often violent disruption of legitimate political meetings, their inability to see the contradiction between open borders and a welfare state and the hierarchy of victimhood.”

And another: “It’s becoming a mass exodus. But where to go? Not Lib that’s for sure. The politics of group identity and emotions over facts however, leave a lot of us feeling homeless … In a political sense.”

These are the lost tribes of the left. Needless to say, I know how they feel.

And of course not only do hardcore socialists and hand-wringing identity ideologues turn anyone with a brain or a sense of humour away from their cause, they also play into the hands of the right by making the whole Left side of politics look ridiculous. Donald Trump might appear crazy compared to a centrist but he looks sensible compared to a Stalinist.

(concluding words)

Populist right-wing governments are indisputably taking over: case in point. Picture: AP/Evan Vucci Source: AP

Little wonder major left-wing parties are fracturing and struggling to win government in liberal democracies all over the world while populist right-wing movements are on the rise.

Likewise in Australia, the ALP lost the unlosable election just a couple of months ago after a cynical attempt to harness what it thought was a neo-Marxist resurgence. For next time, it’s probably a good rule of thumb to remember that when Australia’s only celebrity communist endorses your campaign, you’re probably on the wrong track.

The good news is that the Labor Party has learned from this and is in the process of recovering and recalibrating under the sensible stewardship of Anthony Albanese.

Cynics might point to the post-election dip in the polls, but it is pretty obvious to any seasoned observer that this is almost certainly a result of the party having to quietly jettison all of the toxic policies and rhetoric that cost it victory and start from scratch.

And greater cynics might point to the fact that all the polls got it wrong in the first place.

And so the message to the sensible Left is don’t give up hope. Don’t let dead-eyed socialist extremists or elitist ideological dilettantes trick you into thinking that they are the future of the Left or the champions of working Australians. They are the shackles on their feet, the ones who would rather go down spitting and shrieking than work for meaningful and achievable change.

Society progresses through evolution, not revolution. And it is the extremists who have yet to evolve. The centre will survive. The centre will hold. And the centre will eventually bring us together.

Joe Hildebrand co-hosts Studio 10, 8.30am weekdays, on Network Ten.

Of course, but will loose cannon donald make the US somewhat suspect as to reliability?
    Reliable or not, and probably not, if the US goes too far down the isolationist, high tarrif, buy US, MAGA path it will be less relevant as an economic hub anyway. Wall St will be a minor side show.

The center will hold...
    Hildebrands optimism that the center 'is' is admirable.

Its a race to the right in the Libs. For some reason the only voters they seem to want to attract are One Nations.
    The right wing brain washed who feel on the ascendant can only respond in one line insults, and their idea of the center is some kind of utopia of indentured labour and superyachts.

Meanwhile the offer of the extreme right has become so normalised through f-wits like Trump and Le Pen that to talk of health care is to be branded a screaming Stalinist and have pictures of Lenin posted.
    On the other end everytime Trump is rolled out he's called a nazi (but maybe thats because he called nazi's good people.... still not helpful).

The Center is the common ground. Its the middle compromise that everyone doesn't like but everyone can live with. It's ultimately the manifestation of your fundamental respect for your fellow citizen, who you happen to disagree with.

It will hold?
    It's f#@king gone. It needs to be rebuilt.