Thread: Greta Thumberg

Default Greta Thumberg

Any think that Time willing name her "Man of the Year"? Well maybe teens of the year.

On way to Alberta next. Drew a crowd of half a million in Montreal last week.
    basil

Default Re: Greta Thumberg

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    Any think that Time willing name her "Man of the Year"? Well maybe teens of the year.

That would be so cool! Do you think she has a team of advisers?

She'll certainly need an efficient team of some sort, including security. She's a motivator, but with the numbers she draws she needs a coordinator, and someone to ensure that the parasites don't attempt to profit from her popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    That would be so cool! Do you think she has a team of advisers?
    There are a number of scientists that provide her with the information she needs. Her father is with her but she must have a team of some sort.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

I'm thinking Nobel peace prize.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    She'll certainly need an efficient team of some sort, including security. She's a motivator, but with the numbers she draws she needs a coordinator, and someone to ensure that the parasites don't attempt to profit from her popularity.
    Like her parents and the marketing team that got her started. Children like Greta that far on the spectrum rarely are able to manage social situations, human connections and complex communications.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/100594...ernman-svante/

interesting to note her father, Svante Thunberg an actor had his own wiki page before being wiped off and his links replaced by his daughter’s. A sign of marketing and strategy to be sure.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-14-2019 at 04:50 PM.

I usually avoid The Sun as it tends to be the UK version of our National Enquirer only there are boobies on page 3.
    This, however was an informative articke.
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I'm thinking Nobel peace prize.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Not this year. IIRC, the committee pointed out that there is no link between climate change and armed conflict.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Like her parents and the marketing team that got her started. Children like Greta that far on the spectrum rarely are able to manage social situations, human connections and complex communications.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/100594...ernman-svante/

interesting to note her father, Svante Thunberg an actor had his own wiki page before being wiped off and his links replaced by his daughter’s. A sign of marketing and strategy to be sure.
    Still pushing that wonky barrow I see.
    He still has his own wikipage.
    https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svante_Thunberg

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Not this year. IIRC, the committee pointed out that there is no link between climate change and armed conflict.
    No direct link as yet.
    Though why Obama got one is a puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Is a “link” an effective term for an event with multiple factors? In other words if that link is a 20% contributor to holding stasis preventing armed conflict and other factors strengthened or weakened to variations in that link can you really say there is no link? Let’s say a region experiences a severe drought related to climate change. In country A the social contract is strong and gov’t provides aid so people don’t have to move. In country B the migration leaves a vacuum filled by militant groups and stresses support for the gov’t. You could say, see what’s needed is a social system and gov’t that can help it’s people in times of drought. But not every country is so blessed.

In other words human activities like armed conflict don’t happen independent of environmental factors.

Though why Obama got one is a puzzle.
    For giving the world relief from W.

He got one on the hope of better times. He was too polite, the Republicans rejected the idea of a black president, especially an intelligent one. They always have, there's a derogatory term for that.
    They still are rejecting him.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Still pushing that wonky barrow I see.
    He still has his own wikipage.
    https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svante_Thunberg
    You missed they pulled the English one. The link you included that is the brand new Swedish language one. It is not the English one, it no longer exists. In the Swedish one the last 1/4 is a marketing piece regarding his daughter.

You like like others want to believe in a modern Joan of ark. It took a prince and vested nobles to make her, and a more powerful religious sect to burn her in public. It is no coincidence that the formula of creating aa female celebrity is the same now as then.

On Friday Oct.25 Greta will speak in Vancouver.
    She drew a crowd of 100,000 in Edmonton. Pretty impressive fo a city that size.
    basil

Not sure what you're suggesting, here. The English Wikipedia page was started in March of this year, and nominated for deletion on the grounds that Svante is mainly notable because of his daughter. The AFD discussion is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...nd_nomination) I didn't participate in the discussion, but I would have supported it. Wikipedia guidelines remind users that "notability is not inherited," and discourage people from starting pages for people who known mostly for being related to "notable" persons.

Svante's Swedish pages was created in Sept. 2018, a month after his famous daughter's strike. I don't know why Swedish Wikipedians haven't nominated it for deletion. Maybe it just hasn't attracted any notice within that community. Or perhaps his work as an actor is considered sufficiently notable in his own country? Regardless, I see no evidence that English Wikipedians chose to delete Svante's page for "marketing" reasons (whatever that might mean).

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Taylor View Post
    Not sure what you're suggesting, here. The English Wikipedia page was started in March of this year, and nominated for deletion on the grounds that Svante is mainly notable because of his daughter. The AFD discussion is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...nd_nomination) I didn't participate in the discussion, but I would have supported it. Wikipedia guidelines remind users that "notability is not inherited," and discourage people from starting pages for people who known mostly for being related to "notable" persons.

Svante's Swedish pages was created in Sept. 2018, a month after his famous daughter's strike. I don't know why Swedish Wikipedians haven't nominated it for deletion. Maybe it just hasn't attracted any notice within that community. Or perhaps his work as an actor is considered sufficiently notable in his own country? Regardless, I see no evidence that English Wikipedians chose to delete Svante's page for "marketing" reasons (whatever that might mean).
    wikipedia is a digital format as you well know. It can be easily altered and deleted at any time. It is not pen to paper format. if you would like I can create a wiki for you, make you the man you’d want to be, enable others to add to it, then delete that which does not fit the current narrative. You then can submit a retraction of the site do to such errors, your privacy and start all over to better reflect the new you.

there are many hands now which have taken to promote the girl and supporting her group think movement. Wiki is one as is many others. To suggest that Greta, a 16 year old girl (and younger child) of no means can travel, attend and speak at numerous international train whistle stops without a marketing team and self promotion agenda would be quite the modern messiah move. It may belong to within the Navy-UFO thread of the unexplainable in view of verifiable.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-22-2019 at 12:08 PM.

wikipedia is a digital format as you well know can be altered and deleted at any time. It is not pen to paper format. if you would like I can create a wiki for you, make you the man you’d want to be, enable others to add to it, i then delete that which does not fit the narrative. You then can submit a retraction of the site do to such errors, your privacy and start all over to better reflect the new you.
    It's hard to follow your thinking, here. Sure it's a "digital format." Anyone can create a page, or nominate one for deletion. Every editorial act is preserved forever, and available for scrutiny (with a few small exceptions). Questions about things like "notability" are settled by discussion among editors. Here, for instance, is the last version of Svante's English Wikipedia page, before it was deleted: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...ldid=918437281 After a long discussion (linked above), Wikipedians concluded (reasonably, in my opinion) that the subject doesn't meet the criteria for an entry in an encyclopedia, and the page was merged to Greta's. Seems like business as usual at Wikipedia. If it would help, here are the (user-created) policy guidelines for notability: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability

You missed they pulled the English one. The link you included that is the brand new Swedish language one. It is not the English one, it no longer exists. In the Swedish one the last 1/4 is a marketing piece regarding his daughter.

You like like others want to believe in a modern Joan of ark. It took a prince and vested nobles to make her, and a more powerful religious sect to burn her in public. It is no coincidence that the formula of creating aa female celebrity is the same now as then.
    Are you saying she is wrong about climate change?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Are you saying she is wrong about climate change?
    Global warming is real. Climate change is happening. It didn’t take a child to tell me that something needs to change or that it maybe too late. I also know people are incapable of stopping conspicuous consumption. Members who support Greta here prove everyday that they wish for bigger, better, faster, louder, and more comfortable. Without a doubt they would rather have others do without so they could have more.

That is quite a conclusion, Ted.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    That is quite a conclusion, Ted.
    I wish I was wrong.

"Members who support Greta here prove everyday that they wish for bigger, better, faster, louder, and more comfortable. Without a doubt they would rather have others do without so they could have more. "

"I wish I was wrong."

I think that you are, at least about the part that I have quoted above.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    "Members who support Greta here prove everyday that they wish for bigger, better, faster, louder, and more comfortable. Without a doubt they would rather have others do without so they could have more. "

"I wish I was wrong."

I think that you are, at least about the part that I have quoted above.
    please list one member that does not speak how cool and much better their life is or would be to have different, bigger, better, cooler, newer, faster, more comfortable. It is posted in every single section of the forum and praise upon with each boasted post. It is the ugly fact of conspicuous consumption. Consumption gives status and power. Private property supersedes all other rights. Every single human action has a monetary value. Nobody freely and openly gives up wealth which would make them less comfortable or capable. Capitalism as everyone knows is not compassionate endeavor.

According to Forbes magazine

Unless It Changes, Capitalism Will Starve Humanity By 2050

Capitalism has generated massive wealth for some, but it’s devastated the planet and has failed to improve human well-being at scale.
    • Species are going extinct at a rate 1,000 times faster than that of the natural rate over the previous 65 million years (see Center for Health and the Global Environment at Harvard Medical School).
    • Since 2000, 6 million hectares of primary forest have been lost each year. That’s 14,826,322 acres, or just less than the entire state of West Virginia (see the 2010 assessment by the Food and Agricultural Organization of the UN).
    • Even in the U.S., 15% of the population lives below the poverty line. For children under the age of 18, that number increases to 20% (see U.S. Census).

Human activities are behind the extinction crisis. Commercial agriculture, timber extraction, and infrastructure development are causing habitat loss and our reliance on fossil fuels is a major contributor to climate change.
    Public corporations are responding to consumer demand and pressure from Wall Street. Professors Christopher Wright and Daniel Nyberg published Climate Change, Capitalism and Corporations last fall, arguing that businesses are locked in a cycle of exploiting the world's resources in ever more creative ways.

"Our book shows how large corporations are able to continue engaging in increasingly environmentally exploitative behaviour by obscuring the link between endless economic growth and worsening environmental destruction," they wrote.

Yale sociologist Justin Farrell studied 20 years of corporate funding and found that "corporations have used their wealth to amplify contrarian views [of climate change] and create an impression of greater scientific uncertainty than actually exists."

Corporate capitalism is committed to the relentless pursuit of growth, even if it ravages the planet and threatens human health.

"...please list one member that does not speak how cool and much better their life is or would be to have different, bigger, better, cooler, newer, faster, more comfortable."

Amish Rob

Flying Orca

..oh hell; I'm not going to argue with you Ted. It is highly unlikely that I will change your mind, or even give you cause to ponder your position. I'm going to go have my supper - it will be much more productive, and pleasant, too.

G'nite.

You are a good man defending the indefensible. . Enjoy your dinner.

please list one member that does not speak how cool and much better their life is or would be to have different, bigger, better, cooler, newer, faster, more comfortable. It is posted in every single section of the forum and praise upon with each boasted post. It is the ugly fact of conspicuous consumption. Consumption gives status and power. Private property supersedes all other rights. Every single human action has a monetary value. Nobody freely and openly gives up wealth which would make them less comfortable or capable. Capitalism as everyone knows is not compassionate endeavor. According to Forbes magazine. Unless It Changes, Capitalism Will Starve Humanity By 2050

Capitalism has generated massive wealth for some, but it’s devastated the planet and has failed to improve human well-being at scale. • Species are going extinct at a rate 1,000 times faster than that of the natural rate over the previous 65 million years (see Center for Health and the Global Environment at Harvard Medical School). • Since 2000, 6 million hectares of primary forest have been lost each year. That’s 14,826,322 acres, or just less than the entire state of West Virginia (see the 2010 assessment by the Food and Agricultural Organization of the UN). • Even in the U.S., 15% of the population lives below the poverty line. For children under the age of 18, that number increases to 20% (see U.S. Census). Human activities are behind the extinction crisis. Commercial agriculture, timber extraction, and infrastructure development are causing habitat loss and our reliance on fossil fuels is a major contributor to climate change. Public corporations are responding to consumer demand and pressure from Wall Street. Professors Christopher Wright and Daniel Nyberg published Climate Change, Capitalism and Corporations last fall, arguing that businesses are locked in a cycle of exploiting the world's resources in ever more creative ways. "Our book shows how large corporations are able to continue engaging in increasingly environmentally exploitative behaviour by obscuring the link between endless economic growth and worsening environmental destruction," they wrote. Yale sociologist Justin Farrell studied 20 years of corporate funding and found that "corporations have used their wealth to amplify contrarian views [of climate change] and create an impression of greater scientific uncertainty than actually exists." Corporate capitalism is committed to the relentless pursuit of growth, even if it ravages the planet and threatens human health.
    Wanting to have a better car or a bigger boat or whatever else is just human, if we didn't the advertising industry wouldn't exist? I would like more solar panels, water storage and a Tesla car but I make do with what I have. Greta is just one person who has looked around her and said this is wrong and done something about it. Who cares if scientists are helping her, good for them and all the other people who are helping her spread the message and inspire other people to raise their voices as well. People are helping her, stop looking for sinister plots.

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    I don't think she'll be as popular in Alberta. Could be wrong, but isn't it the center of a move to secede from Canada?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_separatism
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I don't think she'll be as popular in Alberta. Could be wrong, but isn't it the center of a move to secede from Canada?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_separatism
    There is a lot of anger in Alberta. Personally, I'm more of a cascadia proponent.

I am of the school of "Not with a bang, but with a whimper".

I doubt the human animal is capable of disciplining itself. The dopamine fix of food, alcohol and other drugs, a faster car, a bigger boat, sex and porn, TV voyerism and this forum for that matter will never be given up willingly or voluntarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    There is a lot of anger in Alberta. Personally, I'm more of a cascadia proponent.
    Is that the same thing as the 'Western Canada' movement, of the 'State of Jefferson' movement in Northern California/Oregon?
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

please list one member that does not speak how cool and much better their life is or would be to have different, bigger, better, cooler, newer, faster, more comfortable. It is posted in every single section of the forum and praise upon with each boasted post. It is the ugly fact of conspicuous consumption. Consumption gives status and power. Private property supersedes all other rights. Every single human action has a monetary value. Nobody freely and openly gives up wealth which would make them less comfortable or capable. Capitalism as everyone knows is not compassionate endeavor.
    I drive a 2008 Tacoma with 308,000 miles on it. I also have a 1993 Ford F-150 with about 293,000 miles. I sometimes need the Ford for the 4WD, but it gets very few miles put on it. I am in a house that my parents built in about 1954 in one of the poorest parts of the USA, where I as a white person am a minority. You can not show any way that I am interested in status or power. We really might not get along in person.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Is that the same thing as the 'Western Canada' movement, of the 'State of Jefferson' movement in Northern California/Oregon?
    I've not heard of those.
    The cascadia movement is the unification of the states and provinces west of the Rockies (or continental divide) and separation of them from their parent countries. The reasoning being that California, Washington, Oregon, BC, and Alaska have more in common with each other than with the states/provinces on the "wrong side" of the mountains.

I thought the Cascadi movement was this..

https://www.livescience.com/62608-ca...-frequent.html