Thread: Typhoon Hagibis could break records in Japan

Default Typhoon Hagibis could break records in Japan

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20191011_58/

The agency says Hagibis is packing winds of 180 kilometers per hour near its center and gusts of up to 252 kilometers per hour.
    It says the typhoon is likely to maintain its large storm zone and extreme strength as it approaches the Tokai and Kanto regions on Saturday, between late afternoon and night.
    Heavy rain is likely in wide parts of Honshu, especially in Tokai and Kanto where downpours may reach record levels. Weather officials say they may issue emergency warnings.
    They say Hagibis could bring rainfall on the same level as the "Kanogawa Typhoon" of 1958 that left more than 1,200 people dead or missing in Shizuoka and the Kanto region.
    Strong winds are expected to buffet wide areas from western to northern Japan on Saturday. Caution is advised for possible record-breaking gusts in Tokai and Kanto.
    Wind speeds may reach up to 162 kilometers per hour in Tokai and 144 kilometers per hour in Kanto-Koshin. Maximum gusts of 216 kilometers per hour may hit both regions.
    Waves may reach 13 meters off Tokai, Kanto and the Izu Islands, and 10 meters off Tohoku and Kinki regions. Storm surges are expected in eastern Japan and the Kinki region between Saturday afternoon and evening.
    Weather officials are urging people to keep track of the latest weather bulletins and local evacuation advisories, and to flee to safety before conditions deteriorate.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Default Re: Typhoon Hagibis could break records in Japan

Nowhere near the speeds recorded in Typhoon Nancy in 1961. Look it up
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Nowhere near the speeds recorded in Typhoon Nancy in 1961. Look it up
    300+ kms is a lot of wind. I imagine there is a speed that above it it becomes academic. Bit like -40 degrees, Fahrenheit or Celsius it's all the same...effing cold!

I have an old friend and one time colleague who runs the English pub in Yokohama.

Itís not so much the violence of the wind as the size of the storm, and those the amount of water it is dumping on Japan, that is the issue with this one.

Storm centre passing over their house (fortunately up a hill!) now. David sent me this:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20191012_40/
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I have an old friend and one time colleague who runs the English pub in Yokohama.

It’s not so much the violence of the wind as the size of the storm, and those the amount of water it is dumping on Japan, that is the issue with this one.

Storm centre passing over their house (fortunately up a hill!) now. David sent me this:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20191012_40/
    i know that pub! I used to go there on layovers! He and I weren't on a first-name basis, but say hello to him for me, and tell him thanks for the nachos -- which he used to rustle-up even though they were not on the menu.

Dave

The storm, which the government warned could be the strongest to hit Tokyo since 1958, brought record-breaking rainfall in many areas, including the popular hot spring resort town of Hakone, with a whopping 939.5mm of rain over 24 hours.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-13/typhoon-hagibis-hits-tokyo-japan/11597542

I have experienced 300mm in 24 hours, I can't imagine 939.5mm.

That much water cannot run away fast enough, it becomes a question of where to?