Page 602 of 647 FirstFirst ... 102502552592601602603612 ... LastLast
Results 21,036 to 21,070 of 22614

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

"everything old is new again youtube"

"Terry McCrann says there's only one hope for the Liberals if they won't replace the dud Malcolm Turnbull with Tony Abbott.
    Bring back former Treasurer Peter Costello. No other candidates can save the Liberals:
    "

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/an...91b819b5b64dc2

I think they'd prefer Howard but he's nearly 80……….

Well purri if our 'leaders' behave the way they do then why should we be surprised. The best sledging you'll ever hear is in question time.

Re Turnbull's $1.7 mill. purchase of the PM'ship, maybe they can get a higher bid. Gina mayhap, or one of these new Chinese migrants with access to any amount of money?
    Last edited by skuthorp; 04-05-2018 at 12:49 AM.

The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Never you fear, ole' Rupert will still support them.

But I note BHP has left the World Coal Association and is threatening to drop out of the Minerals Council. Coal will continue to be part of the mix for some time of course. But political redundancies are in the air.

It will be a long slow fight but the market seems to be falling out of love with coal.
    Grateful Dead

Not so much a fight but economics, technological advances and a demographic change in the voting public.
    I note that households with battery storage are being accused of profiteering in that at peak times when their solar generated power is in most demand they switch to the battery and sell it all. I thought that was private enterprise, good business. But of course with the big drop in house ownership renters get the rough end of this tech. change.

No, definitely profiteering if a big corporation isn't doing it..... then it becomes normal business practice.
    Grateful Dead

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-0...ction=politics
    ANALYSISAs the dreaded 30th Newspoll loss looms, Malcolm Turnbull waits for a sign from above

By political editor Andrew Probyn
    Posted about 11 hours ago
    PHOTO: It's a dangerous time for Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull. (ABC News: Matt Roberts)

Such is Malcolm Turnbull's magnificent, monolithic self-confidence he would never, ever have entertained matching Tony Abbott's sorry record of 30 consecutive negative Newspolls.
    But match it he will, chalking up an ignominy of his own design on Monday.
    It will provoke questions of where it all went wrong and what next, as chatter inevitably turns to political mortality.
    When Mr Turnbull strode into a parliamentary courtyard on September 14, 2015, to confirm he would challenge Mr Abbott for the Liberal leadership — and therefore the prime ministership — he catalogued various metrics of failure.
    As a critique of the Abbott era, it was brutal and scathing. In large part it was pretty accurate.
    Economic leadership was missing, he said, economic confidence was low, positing that a new style of leadership was needed: one that explained the challenges and seized the opportunity; one that respected the intelligence of people.
    "We need advocacy, not slogans," came his sly condemnation of Mr Abbott's renowned capacity to synthesise political messages like the best of Fleet St headline writers.
    He stood for restoring "traditional cabinet government", ending policy on-the-run and "captain's calls".
    "The one thing that is clear about our current situation is the trajectory. We have lost 30 Newspolls in a row. It is clear that the people have made up their mind about Mr Abbott's leadership," Mr Turnbull said, seemingly assured in the grand knowledge that he was so very different, destined for greatness.
    Grateful Dead

I noted a poll result that said that the Libs should not change leaders again, despite the expected news poll results.
    "Take it on the chin" was one comment I saw but I can't find a link to the article.

The Oz. is talking about "Two deeply unpopular leaders" but I can't look at that due to a paywall.

Malcolm is a serious disappointment, the Lib right have spoiled their own future too........ they'll go down with Mal.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I noted a poll result that said that the Libs should not change leaders again, despite the expected news poll results.
    "Take it on the chin" was one comment I saw but I can't find a link to the article.

The Oz. is talking about "Two deeply unpopular leaders" but I can't look at that due to a paywall.

Liberals are telling Malcolm Turnbull to cop his expected 30th Newspoll loss in a row "on the chin" but say there is no threat to his leadership.

https://www.araratadvertiser.com.au/...-on-chin/?cs=7
    If you are the smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room.

Because the Libs have no one else who may be acceptable to the public, it has to be the nobbled Malcolm.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Wet Feet View Post
    I suppose there is a chance that some last few bucks can be extracted before the game is finally and totally over.
    Perhaps that is the ultimate aim of the Monash Forum and those who share its goals. Renewable energy may win in the end, but it will win slowly enough that coal can earn one last payday.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/f...05-p4z7wh.html

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Arbetz Macht Frei indeed!
    Excellent !
    Grateful Dead

Perhaps that is the ultimate aim of the Monash Forum and those who share its goals. Renewable energy may win in the end, but it will win slowly enough that coal can earn one last payday.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/f...05-p4z7wh.html
    A gallery of rogues if ever I saw one.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Happy birthday Steve. You'll be glad to know your thread is still going strong. Thanks to the participants.

….and thank you for reminding us Hwyl…. Thanks to Steve for the legacy.

I would not however be so sanguine as to be certain that the LibNats will actually lose badly enough to give Labour any more control than the present lot has. There are likely a couple of forced by-elections in the pipeline before the general and I do not think Labour can win them all. I doubt that Mal will call an early election this time.

30The country seemsto have woken up to the Libs and poor old Mal. The poor bugger has nothing to lose, why doesn't he just stand up to the right wing and call them what they are and do it publicly.
    Grateful Dead

….and thank you for reminding us Hwyl…. Thanks to Steve for the legacy.
    Indeed.

Thanks Steve.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    30The country seems to have woken up to the Libs and poor old Mal. The poor bugger has nothing to lose, why doesn't he just stand up to the right wing and call them what they are and do it publicly.
    Give our old friend Tony some recognition Mr. S ....that would make it ......60 !

I would not however be so sanguine as to be certain that the LibNats will actually lose badly enough to give Labour any more control than the present lot has. There are likely a couple of forced by-elections in the pipeline before the general and I do not think Labour can win them all. I doubt that Mal will call an early election this time.

I think your`e on the money.

True, the LibNats are disappointing coal lovers but not disastrous, sufficient for the likes of me to walk away but many dontgiveadamn.
    Grateful Dead

For personal ratings, Malcolm Turnbull is steady on 32% approval and up one on disapproval to 57%; Bill Shorten is down two to 32% and up three to 57%. On preferred prime minister, Turnbull is down a point to 38%, while Shorten is steady on 36%. The poll was conducted Thursday to Sunday from a sample of 1597.

https://www.pollbludger.net/

Last edited by PeterSibley; 04-08-2018 at 05:49 PM. Reason: add text
    Grateful Dead

Documents Shed Light on BP’s Failures in the Great Australian Bight

BP’s plans to drill for oil in the Great Australian Bight were controversial from the outset. The regulator twice rejected its environmental safety plan.For the first time, Climate Home News can reveal why. Government documents have been released under freedom of information laws, nearly two years after they were requested. BP had tried to suppress the information.A major oil spill in the sensitive seascape would pollute up to 750km of beaches and shoreline.

http://desmog.uk/2018/04/05/document...stralian-bight

BP document says an oil spill would be a 'welcomed boost' to local communities

https://t.co/ZWieSW6fwQ

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

BP document says an oil spill would be a 'welcomed boost' to local communities
    That is pretty extraordinary.
    There's spin and then there's that.

Surely after writing something like a person would have a moment of reflection and realise they are being eaten alive from the inside by capitalista pigs?
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Mainstream economics and the GDP mantra ? It's like saying Syria has a wonderful housing boom ahead .... as soon as the current BOOMing stops.
    Grateful Dead

A pristine Australian bight has no economic value as measured. OTOH a very expensive clean up operation aftert a major oil spill does.
    Much the same was as a mum looking after her own kids at home has no value, but if she swaps kids with another mum for 'child care' the it has.

Curiouser and curiouser, and another pineapple up the tax systems clacker.

A pristine Australian bight has no economic value as measured. OTOH a very expensive clean up operation aftert a major oil spill does.
    Much the same was as a mum looking after her own kids at home has no value, but if she swaps kids with another mum for 'child care' the it has.

Curiouser and curiouser, and another pineapple up the tax systems clacker.
    Wife and I were just discussing that very topic ......it`s a strange world indeed.....

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I heard of two guys who bought 2 houses, they own one each.
    Each rents their house to the other, hence they are investments, and they can claim the tax deduction.

Net result, each has a house and each has a tax deduction.

It actually sounds like it's perfectly legal - but at the same time could it be...?
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

One of Queensland's largest irrigators expected to be charged with fraud

Fraud charges are expected to be laid against one of Queensland’s biggest cotton irrigators, John Norman, within a matter of weeks.
    If the trial of the owner-operator of Norman Farming, and former cotton farmer of the year goes ahead, it is likely to draw attention to the links between the irrigator’s family and that of the federal minister for agriculture and water resources, David Littleproud.

If the charges are laid, they will also throw the spotlight on the Queenslandgovernment’s failure in administering a key plank of the $13bn Murray-Darling basin plan, how it withheld critical information about the alleged crimes, and how it raises queries as to whether it lied about its own investigation.

For the past 18 months, an expanding team of undercover detectives, cybercrime experts and forensic accountants have been investigating Norman’s business on the Queensland/New South Wales border, an irrigated cotton aggregate stretching 45km north from the McIntyre river.The investigation has focused on whether Norman Farming misused upwards of $25m in Murray-Darling basin infrastructure funds that were supposed to make the irrigator more efficient and deliver water back to the ailing river system downstream.

The plan for the basin is funded by the commonwealth and administered by state governments. But allegations that the $150m Healthy Headwaters Water Use Efficiency projects in Queensland, part of the MDB plan, lacked any genuinely independent checks on projects, means it may have been left open to corruption.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...e-charged-with

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I heard of two guys who bought 2 houses, they own one each.
    Each rents their house to the other, hence they are investments, and they can claim the tax deduction.

Net result, each has a house and each has a tax deduction.

It actually sounds like it's perfectly legal - but at the same time could it be...?
    Fraud of Commonwealth funds ?
    Grateful Dead

and Dutton wants to be PM.
    As leader he could keep the Libs out of power for decades.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Calling Barnaby.

We call him the country member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book