Page 590 of 661 FirstFirst ... 90490540580589590591600640 ... LastLast
Results 20,616 to 20,650 of 23109

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Much the same thing happened in Victoria when they retired the 1880's red rattlers, that long ago.

And politicians misleading parliament, not to mention the voters? Who'd a thunk it.

And Rob, I knew Marysville well, and parts of it were a death trap, but mostly because of where people were allowed to build houses. A steep dead end valley with one road in and out on a seep slope, and leading to another steep dirt road that was an upgraded logging track. My cousin and I had been talking about it for at least 20 years when going skiing.
    And then there was the weather. Similar conditions now would produce the same results.
    I think you are a bit hard on the pollies, it's the art of the possible.
    I live an a heavily treed block, they volunteer for firewood with regularity. Our fire plan is not to be here, there is no safe exit, the CFA have said they can't defend the street. But if I wanted to live in a paddock I'd have bought a paddock.
    The whole town is a bit like Dunalley, there is a safe place if the tide is out.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Much the same thing happened in Victoria when they retired the 1880's red rattlers, that long ago.

And politicians misleading parliament, not to mention the voters? Who'd a thunk it.

And Rob, I knew Marysville well, and parts of it were a death trap, but mostly because of where people were allowed to build houses. A steep dead end valley with one road in and out on a seep slope, and leading to another steep dirt road that was an upgraded logging track. My cousin and I had been talking about it for at least 20 years when going skiing.
    And then there was the weather. Similar conditions now would produce the same results.
    I live an a heavily treed block, they volunteer for firewood with regularity. Our fire plan is not to be here, there is no safe exit, the CFA have said they can't defend the street. But if I wanted to live in a paddock I'd have bought a paddock.
    The whole town is a bit like Dunalley, there is a safe place if the tide is out.
    A good place to own a shallow draft boat .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Go easy on the POLLIES !!!, the bastards are guilty of Murder !!!.
    They were warned by the very experts they employed to keep them informed on the situation , that they were sitting on a time bomb.
    Repeatedly warned , publicly and privately.
    They chose to do nothing , they wanted the f/ing greenie vote.
    The greenie councils COMPELLED the houses to be unsighted from the road , that is they had to be completely surrounded by trees.
    A F/ing death trap.
    And then they told them (all Victorians) they would be safe defending their houses.
    Yes , people with an ounce of brain can and do and will defend their houses successfully.
    But those poor bastards in those greeny suburbs were not amongst those people , they had no f/ing hope.
    David Packham did a detailed study , paid for by a concerned ratepayer of one of the doomed suburbs.
    Those suburbs were not defendable , no matter how many firetucks you had. The report was handed to the Government , they did nothing.
    The f/ing greenies set up the death suburbs , and labor did nothing about it , until after the Royal Commission.
    They ARE ALL GUILTY of MURDER !.
    How else can you view it ?.
    It is more than incompetence , it is criminal negligence.
    More interested in staying in power , than the people they are supposed to serve.
    As to what to do in a fire , well I'm set up to fight , I am well prepared , and don't see any problem defending my place , as I have since 1973.
    I saved our house in Ash Wednesday , and have set up all of my places to be defendable.
    And I have NEVER lived in a f/ing paddock !.
    And yes , I know now the government wants the sheeple to run away well before a fire , if the place burns down , then insurance will pay for it.
    Yes , the people with half a brain , and a defendable property will foot the bill for those who have taken no responsibility for defending their property, and are happy to sponge off those who do.
    If the house is not defendable , it should not be insurable.
    And when it burns down , it should not be rebuildable .
    Rob J.
    w

Partially addressing some long standing issues of theft ....

Only after
    Court of Arbitration in The Hague , of course.

Better late than never.
    If you are the smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room.

No spies this time.
    Grateful Dead

Malcolm Turnbull needs all the time he can get. He and his government can only survive if they stage a political recovery unlike anything Australia has seen in recent times.

This government’s long slump in the opinion polls means it would have to defy history to stay in power. Turnbull leads a Coalition with a primary vote of 37 per cent, a dangerous low even though it is better than the dismal results of 34 or 35 per cent last year.

Others have survived bad polls, of course. Paul Keating saw Labor’s primary vote fall to 34 per cent in 1992 and he still won the next election, while Howard held on after the Coalition’s primary vote fell to 35 per cent in early 2001.The key difference is that neither suffered the sustained rejection we see today. The sheer length of this trough is the story. Faced with this history, Turnbull has no reason to gamble on an early election.

The Prime Minister says that he loves his job. Strangely, perhaps, his political plight does not seem to weigh him down.

“The election will be next year, I can assure you,” he said on Wednesday.

Turnbull’s remarks concede there will be no quick turnaround in the government’s fortunes. Ministers also know this. They believe their leader will do everything to buy time.

Turnbull’s wording this week used the classic formulation of “no plan” for an early election, but he will be tempted to go early if conditions change and he has a chance at winning. Tony Abbott will keep working toward an outcome where Turnbull has to be removed, most likely with Peter Dutton as the conservative champion to take his place. Discontented Liberals will try to repeat last year, only this time with the spill they thought they could engineer last December.

https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/turnb...08-p4z3ey.html

What a bastard , then being governed by a treacherous traitorous lying boofhead !.
    Still , that union scum minority will be happy again.
    Rob J.

Grateful Dead

Here's something the Coalition don't want to know or talk about.

MEDIA
    New data: Australia fails on emissions, yet again

BY CLIMATE COUNCIL

AUSTRALIA’S greenhouse gas pollution levels have jumped yet again, increasing for the third consecutive year, following the release of the latest national data.

The Department of the Environment and Energy’s National Greenhouse Gas Inventory report shows Australia’s greenhouse gas pollution levels increased by 0.8% (without land use change and forestry) over the year to September 2017.
    Climate Councillor and international climate scientist Professor Will Steffen said the latest data shows Australia’s pollution levels continue to reach disappointing new heights.
    “This is an abject failure and Australia can do better than this. We are now becoming complacent, as the nation’s greenhouse gas pollution levels consistently rise, every quarter since March 2013,” he said.
    “The window of opportunity to tackle climate change is rapidly closing. We cannot sit on our hands and allow another year to go by, when more than 554 million tonnes of carbon dioxide (in 12 months to September 2017) is pumped into the atmosphere.”
    “All of this data should serve as yet another serious warning signal for the Federal Government to act swiftly to cut our rising pollution levels and to tackle climate change."
    “We must continue the transition to clean, affordable and reliable renewable energy and storage technologies through strong and credible climate and energy policy. The proposed National Energy Guarantee will do nothing but guarantee failure when it comes to tackling climate change.”
    “Renewables have proven themselves time and time again, our state’s and territories have embraced their necessity in Australia’s future, now the Federal Government should do the same.”

Grateful Dead

It`s not really on the agenda , is it ?

“All of this data should serve as yet another serious warning signal for the Federal Government to act swiftly to cut our rising pollution levels and to tackle climate change."
    The proposed National Energy Guarantee will do nothing but guarantee failure when it comes to tackling climate change.Renewables have proven themselves time and time again, our state’s and territories have embraced their necessity in Australia’s future, now the Federal Government should do the same.”
    Complacent idiots.

Australia will be hurt badly by AGW but they just don't care. An inconvenient truth.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Australia will be hurt badly by AGW but they just don't care. An inconvenient truth.
    Fart in your own space suit " logic. "

What use logic when there are "donations" to harvest. If only the solar industry could ''donate'' like coal.
    Grateful Dead

I've got no doubt , that we almost certainly will have that slimey boofhead for our next prime minister.
    The parasites and bludgers will vote for him , for sure.
    "Money for nothing".
    Unless they see through him , for the treacherous bastard he is.
    Look at his performance now , with the greenies in Melbourne , and the councils and miners in QLD.
    That bastard couldn't lie straight in bed (especially in bed).
    The Government have some good people , but some self destructing dickheads as well.
    Not much of a choice.
    But I wouldn't peez on that treacherous boofhead , even if he was on fire.
    Rob J.
    d

What use logic when there are "donations" to harvest. If only the solar industry could ''donate'' like coal.

I think it will one day Peter , its one of the new emerging market economies.

As their thinking is at least 50 years behind the times , it will likely be too late in OZ .
    They will settle for the bribes , and hang the cost. Children don`t matter.

They really have to go .
    NOW !

Yes , lets have that treacherous traiterous slimey boofhead now .
    And watch the country go down the gurgler.
    That A/Hole couldn't run a chook raffle.
    Me , I couldn't give a stuff anymore.
    But if any of those union a/holes approach me for a vote , I'll tell them what I think , UFU thugs behind them or not.
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Yes , lets have that treacherous traiterous slimey boofhead now .
    And watch the country go down the gurgler.
    That A/Hole couldn't run a chook raffle.
    Me , I couldn't give a stuff anymore.
    But if any of those union a/holes approach me for a vote , I'll tell them what I think , UFU thugs behind them or not.
    Rob J.
    Geez Rob , the union bashing is getting a bit old mate .....

Is there anything wrong in this country today that , according to you , the unions are not responsible for ?

Go easy on the POLLIES !!!, the bastards are guilty of Murder !!!.
    They were warned by the very experts they employed to keep them informed on the situation , that they were sitting on a time bomb.
    Repeatedly warned , publicly and privately.
    They chose to do nothing , they wanted the f/ing greenie vote.
    The greenie councils COMPELLED the houses to be unsighted from the road , that is they had to be completely surrounded by trees.
    A F/ing death trap.
    And then they told them (all Victorians) they would be safe defending their houses.
    Yes , people with an ounce of brain can and do and will defend their houses successfully.
    But those poor bastards in those greeny suburbs were not amongst those people , they had no f/ing hope.
    David Packham did a detailed study , paid for by a concerned ratepayer of one of the doomed suburbs.
    Those suburbs were not defendable , no matter how many firetucks you had. The report was handed to the Government , they did nothing.
    The f/ing greenies set up the death suburbs , and labor did nothing about it , until after the Royal Commission.
    They ARE ALL GUILTY of MURDER !.
    How else can you view it ?.
    It is more than incompetence , it is criminal negligence.
    More interested in staying in power , than the people they are supposed to serve.
    As to what to do in a fire , well I'm set up to fight , I am well prepared , and don't see any problem defending my place , as I have since 1973.
    I saved our house in Ash Wednesday , and have set up all of my places to be defendable.
    And I have NEVER lived in a f/ing paddock !.
    And yes , I know now the government wants the sheeple to run away well before a fire , if the place burns down , then insurance will pay for it.
    Yes , the people with half a brain , and a defendable property will foot the bill for those who have taken no responsibility for defending their property, and are happy to sponge off those who do.
    If the house is not defendable , it should not be insurable.
    And when it burns down , it should not be rebuildable .
    Rob J.
    w
    Rob, it seems that according to you, everyone you don't agree with is a scumbag moron.

Are you sure that's right? Is it impossible that intelligent and honest people could hold different views to you? Or are you the truth, the only truth and nothing but the truth?

These are not all simple questions with a right answer (one that you like) and an incorrect answer, are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Wet Feet View Post
    Its been covered before Rob , too much to go back over. It wasn`t Wayne Swan`s brilliance or genius either. It was dumb luck timing.
    Or was it just that Australia followed a path that Keynes etc had laid out pretty clearly?

And what is your opinion mr smartarse PS.
    You are familiar with what I'm talking about of course ?.
    Rob J.
    D
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Rob, it seems that according to you, everyone you don't agree with is a scumbag moron.

Are you sure that's right? Is it impossible that intelligent and honest people could hold different views to you? Or are you the truth, the only truth and nothing but the truth?

These are not all simple questions with a right answer (one that you like) and an incorrect answer, are they?

I should get out of these Aussie politics threads. There's just too much hate, too much contempt, and too much belief that running a country so that nothing ever goes wrong is so easy that anyone could do it.

Sure, we all get annoyed at times. But we also live in an incredibly lucky country, and not just because of the environment. Lots of other countries are blessed with natural wealth. While I get annoyed with the way our governments run, it's got to be recognised that they face an impossible task if we expect them to do everything perfectly, and that Australia's success is partly down to the fact that our government gets it right more often than most others.

In a way it's bloody arrogant to sit back and abuse government all day when we cannot prove that we could do it better, or that any other human could do it better. It's a bit like the fat old guys who sit at football matches screaming at the pros about what they should do, when the FOBs could never make it past local D grade when they were playing footy.

Sure, we can discuss things, but maybe we should also respect the difficulties government faces? I know in my time (less than 2 years total) in the federal bureaucracy I found lots of things intensely frustrating, but there's also a lot of things that are done well. Blanket abuse and insults won't help anyone.

I just hate unions.
    I was under the shadow of a corrupt union and lying organisers for 27 1/2 years.
    And I have first hand experience in what the UFU are doing to the fire service NOW.
    It is completely outrageous.
    Go though the history of the UFU debacles , both in the MFB and the CFA , and tell me if they are not way out of line , by the UFU , and DH Dan.
    But further to that , they are destroying the CFA.
    If there were a big fire this year , the numbers and units available would be very much depleted.
    The 2 sub units I was in have had to disband , because the members walked out , because of the UFU treatment.
    Of course I'm angry.
    Rob J.
    QUOTE=Wet Feet;5501201]Geez Rob , the union bashing is getting a bit old mate .....

Is there anything wrong in this country today that , according to you , the unions are not responsible for ?[/QUOTE]

Or was it just that Australia followed a path that Keynes etc had laid out pretty clearly?
    I am quite sure you are smart enough to make a good case for Keynesian economics Chris , I am dubious about you inserting that little word just into your sentence.

And what is your opinion mr smartarse PS.
    You are familiar with what I'm talking about of course ?.
    Rob J.
    D
    Well, what a reasonable response - insults and abuse. Is there anyone you don't hate? Is there anyone you don't feel yourself to be better than? Where is your evidence that you are some sort of superman who can p*ss all over people the way you do?

Yes, I've only fought a couple of fires - I have one inherited health issue and one injury that means I shouldn't do it. Only once has my crew and the unit who drove their truck through the undergrowth to help us save the last houses in a street sat back exhausted after beating off a crowning fire, to hear the crews north of us being told to pull out to save themselves and to let the houses burn.

However, to abuse governments, unions AND many of the poor people who died in those fires is completely over the top. There are people here, like Sku, who have other opinions and who know those areas. There are people who have other opinions about who is responsible when people choose of their own free will to move into bushfire areas.

I've seen unions doing damage. I've also seen selfless union workers sacrifice themselves for others. I've seen bastardry among the firies, and I've seen heroes amongst the firies. Same with public servants. To throw them all, good and bad, into one bag and p*ss all over them with insults is way over the top.
    Last edited by Chris249; 03-09-2018 at 05:29 AM.

Rob Governments lose elections rather than their opposition winning. If Bill get's the job it will be the LibNats doing. Not the policies, brilliant or apalling, that they offer. And it's because there is no 3rd party alternative, just the Greens ginger group and a mixed bag of special interests, and likely a few plants.
    Every government has it's day, and the party concerned needs to be out of office to cancel old debts and clear out the rubbish. Problem for Labour is Rudd's rules, otherwise Bill would not be there. And shouldn't have been anyhow, the parliamentary party over ruled the membership in the ballots for leader. Factions, factions, factions, and of course the stink of NSW corruption effected Albanese.
    But that's what we've got to work with and frankly I cannot see a change coming. Of course these days 20+ effectively do not vote anyhow, and given the reputation of politicians that may increase.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 03-09-2018 at 05:41 AM.

Rob Governments lose elections rather than their opposition winning. If Bill get's the job it will be the LibNats doing. Not the polidies, brilliant or apalling, that they offer. And it's because there is no 3rd party alternative, just the Greens ginger group and a mixed bag of special interests, and likely a few plants.
    Every government has it's day, and the party concerned needs to be out of office to cancel old debts and clear out the rubbish. Problem for Labour is Rudd's rules, otherwise Bill would not be there. And shouldn't have been anyhow, the parliamentary party over ruled the membership in the ballots for leader. Factions, factions, factions, and of course the stink of NSW corruption effected Albanese.
    But that's what we've got to work with and frankly I cannot see a change coming. Of course these days 20+ effectively do not vote anyhow, and given the reputastion of politicians that may increase.

And it ain`t much people.

Chris , yes I'm angry.
    But in the post you quoted , I spoke with authority , I know what I'm talking about.
    Have you ever had to scrape out incinerated people , from a car ?.
    I have.
    And when that person is an old mate I was hoping to save from a fire that SHOULD NOT have happened , it hurt even more.
    In the Ash Wednesday fires almost all of the casualties in Macedon I knew well , I actually worked part time for them (mowing lawns and odd jobs).
    That fire should not have happened either.
    Our CFA captain , a good friend and work colleague put an article in the local paper about a week before Ash Wednesday , describing his misgivings , due to a lack of government action over the preceding 10 years.The Macedon Ranges was going to burn.
    Part of his article came from David Packham , who was a forensic scientist at the ACDC.
    The Captain was right.
    The place burnt down , a lot of people were killed.
    I survived , because I was prepared.
    We should have learnt from the enquiry then , we obviously didn't.
    The State government was in a state of denial , they tried to tell us that Ash Wednesday wouldn't happen again.
    Of course they were wrong , we had Black Saturday , when 3 times as many people were incinerated , in a bushfire that should not have had anything like that effect.
    THIS TIME , we have learnt some , thanks to the Royal Commission.
    But we can't pussy foot around.
    Some areas deemed to risky to rebuid on had , or have , the owners suing the government , they want to have the right to build on their land.
    If they build , do the brigades respond to fires there ?.
    Are the places insurable ?insured ?.
    If the are burnt down , uninsured , do that put their hand out for government/people support ?.
    Yes , I'm angry , and I'm saying it as it is.
    If you think I'm wrong , then correct me.
    Rob J.
    th
    I should get out of these Aussie politics threads. There's just too much hate, too much contempt, and too much belief that running a country so that nothing ever goes wrong is so easy that anyone could do it.

Sure, we all get annoyed at times. But we also live in an incredibly lucky country, and not just because of the environment. Lots of other countries are blessed with natural wealth. While I get annoyed with the way our governments run, it's got to be recognised that they face an impossible task if we expect them to do everything perfectly, and that Australia's success is partly down to the fact that our government gets it right more often than most others.

In a way it's bloody arrogant to sit back and abuse government all day when we cannot prove that we could do it better, or that any other human could do it better. It's a bit like the fat old guys who sit at football matches screaming at the pros about what they should do, when the FOBs could never make it past local D grade when they were playing footy.

Sure, we can discuss things, but maybe we should also respect the difficulties government faces? I know in my time (less than 2 years total) in the federal bureaucracy I found lots of things intensely frustrating, but there's also a lot of things that are done well. Blanket abuse and insults won't help anyone.

Yes , I'll agree with you there.
    Not much to look forward to !.
    Rob J.
    Rob Governments lose elections rather than their opposition winning. If Bill get's the job it will be the LibNats doing. Not the policies, brilliant or apalling, that they offer. And it's because there is no 3rd party alternative, just the Greens ginger group and a mixed bag of special interests, and likely a few plants.
    But that's what we've got to work with and frankly I cannot see a change coming. Of course these days 20+ effectively do not vote anyhow, and given the reputation of politicians that may increase.

and a wee bit of praise for South Australia and their energy policies, policies that take on board that AGW is real, probably irreversible and the biggest threat our country faces.

http://www.climatecouncil.org.au/battery-storage-2018

• The cost of lithium-ion batteries has fallen by 80% since 2010. Costs are expected to halve again by 2025 (under 7 years).
    • 6,750 new household batteries were installed in 2016. The market is predicted to have tripled in size in 2017, with over 20,000 new installations.
    • Renewable energy now represents 16% of Australia’s electricity generation.
    • VIC, QLD and the NT are also investing in grid scale battery storage technology.
    • Federal, QLD and TAS governments are also considering developing pumped hydro projects.
    • The Australian electricity grid (NEM) and old fossil fuelled power stations are increasingly vulnerable to worsening extreme weather events, particularly as these power stations age.
    • More than 50% of Australia’s coal fleet will be over 40 years old by 2030.
    • Australia could reach 50% renewables by 2030 without significant new energy storage.
    • Australia must reach zero carbon pollution well before 2050 to effectively tackle climate change.
    Grateful Dead

I reckon we are about 150 years too late to have much effect on a 3-4 degrees increase myself. But no government could admit to that yet. It will become apparent anyhow soon enough.
    I do note that every time figures re sea level rise are revised it's always sooner than before. The insurance industry are a bit like the bookies as a bell weather on that.

Possibly Jeff but I think we should at least try.

http://www.climatecouncil.org.au/sa-...n-energy-combo

SOUTH AUSTRALIA remains ahead of the pack when it comes to the nation’s clean energy race, with plans to increase the state’s renewables target, while also rolling out a new storage target, in what would be an Australian first.
    Climate Councillor and energy expert Professor Andrew Stock said the South Australian Government’s proposals mean the state would increase its Renewable Energy Target to 75 percent by 2025, making it one of the highest in the country, while also introducing a new storage target.
    “South Australia is really raising the stakes when it comes to Australia’s renewables and energy storage race,” he said.
    “The state is already on track to reach its original target of 50 per cent renewable sources 7 years ahead of schedule and is now increasing this target even further. This is another step in the right direction towards tackling climate change.”
    “This means that South Australia will receive around three quarters of its electricity from clean, affordable and reliable renewable energy, such as wind and solar by 2025.”
    The announcements include plans for South Australia to create a Renewable Storage Target of 25 per cent by 2025.
    “The proposal to rollout Australia’s first energy storage target forms a significant clean energy combination.
    “This is a natural step for South Australia, following the switch-on of the world’s most powerful battery and the construction of the nation’s first solar thermal plant and virtual power station.”
    Stock called on the rest of the nation to continue to follow South Australia’s leadership when it comes to embracing Australia’s transition to a 21st century electricity grid.
    “South Australia is among states and territories leading the charge in the nation’s clean energy race, but unfortunately the Federal Government remains stuck in the stalls with an inadequate National Energy Guarantee.”
    “The Federal Government must move to implement strong and credible climate and energy policy to encourage Australia’s transition to renewable energy and storage technology, in a bid to cut our rising pollution levels and tackle climate change.”

Grateful Dead

Vested interests , ( heck , lets call it what it really is ) , CORRUPTION is endemic in this country , at local , state , and federal level.
    It has been for some time.
    The contempt of the voter is justifiable , and then some.

“The Federal Government must move to implement strong and credible climate and energy policy to encourage Australia’s transition to renewable energy and storage technology, in a bid to cut our rising pollution levels and tackle climate change.”

Oh yes?

Oh yes?
    The world must move.

Everyone here ignored this when i posted it , but, I believe its actually our only hope.

https://impact.vice.com/en_us/articl...haring-economy

Good luck Millennials !

Here's some infrastructure for the Infrastructure PM to build .

MEDIA RELEASE: CSIRO report shows cheap renewables solution to gas crisis

BY CLIMATE COUNCIL

Renewable technology is the cleanest, cheapest and fastest solution to Australia’s energy price crisis, according to the latest CSIRO report released today.

The ‘Electricity Transformation Roadmap’ finds that Australia can generate electricity with zero carbon emissions by 2050 by embracing more large-scale renewable technologies such as wind, solar and storage.

Climate Council CEO Amanda McKenzie said the report further proves that Australians have the chance to access clean, affordable and secure electricity within a short timeframe, compared to the Federal Government’s proposed national gas expansion.

“It’s clear what needs to be done. Australia doesn’t have years and years to wait for the construction of multi-billion dollar gas pipelines or polluting gas stations,” she said.

“The solution to the gas crisis is cheap renewables, not locking in expensive gas for the future. Investing in gas dependence locks in expensive, polluting energy. Unfortunately ideology is getting in the way of smart policy.”

“This roadmap recommends the rollout of 25 large-scale renewable energy plants in the next 5 years to secure Australia’s energy supply. We know that this is possible within even shorter timeframes, with the Australian Capital Territory bringing three large-scale solar PV farms online in just 15 months.”

McKenzie said a stable national energy plan and strong political leadership was essential in a bid to continue Australia’s transition to a net zero carbon emission grid by 2050.

“Any gas expansion or increasing reliance on gas is simply a band-aid solution. We need consistent and strong political support to ensure our energy future remains affordable, secure and cuts Australia’s rising greenhouse gas emissions.”

Grateful Dead