• Show
Clear All
  • upchurchmr
    • May 2009

Re: Making a birdsmouth catboat mast

lagspiller,

What is a "lamell"?

Originally posted by lagspiller
    I see you have a Dragon... would you consider a birdsmouth mast for that?
    I have also considered splitting my present solid wood mast and glueing in a lamell the entire length of the mast. That would certainly stiffen it and may be the best option. But I'd consider beginning from scratch and keeping the present mast intact if this birdsmouth construction can be made strong enough in the diameter I need.

But at present, I'll just continue to follow Jim Ledgers progress and enjoy the thread.

Comment

• lagspiller
      Northern Loon
      • Mar 2003

Oh, sorry. I thought that worked in English. Google translate says - Lamell: Lamella, slat, louver, spline....
      A flat wooden slat the bredth and length of the mast... Like when you laminate something.

Comment

• upchurchmr
        • May 2009

Thanks, I didn't notice Norway, but I wouldn't have known anyway!

Comment

• Jim Ledger
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by lagspiller
          I see you have a Dragon... would you consider a birdsmouth mast for that?
          I have also considered splitting my present solid wood mast and glueing in a lamell the entire length of the mast. That would certainly stiffen it and may be the best option. But I'd consider beginning from scratch and keeping the present mast intact if this birdsmouth construction can be made strong enough in the diameter I need.

But at present, I'll just continue to follow Jim Ledgers progress and enjoy the thread.
          Duncan Gibbs is the one restoring the Dragon, Lagspiller, Mickey Lake has one as well, but he just sails his.

From what I've observed from the builders here you should well be able to make a suitable mast to the dimensions you gave. One unusual thing about a catboat mast it is that is essentially free-standing. The only standing rigging is a forestay, which hangs slack unless you're sailing upwind. My point is that your mast is probably supported by standing rigging, which would take a lot of the load off the mast itself, giving you a margin of safety that I don't anticipate in my boat.

Making more shavings...

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 01-19-2014, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• lagspiller
            Northern Loon
            • Mar 2003

Yes, Thanks. That was supposed to be a reply to Duncan's post - #78. I don't seem to have the hang of the hybrid posting thing yet...

Comment

• LongIslandBoy
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Matti
              This is only mast building picture; http://www.freewebs.com/maryii/apps/...otoid=43532452 , my computer get down and...
              There are, in post one, on launching pics of ready mast; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...5-Gartside-109
              and post 49 are pair of pics when mast was taken of to winter storage ( note huge amount of people in pics, crane man haven't come yet and I took pics, )
              In service the mast have worked well, only two and half season this far. Mast is quite slender 170mm diameter, 70mm on top, the top length is for topsail. http://www.freewebs.com/maryii/apps/...toid=140093172

I had 7 m long, 2" through sawn spruce "on shelf "(one time I had a idea to build strip plank sailing boat, but I made plank on frame instead.) so I needed only two scarfs to each stave.
              Matti, I just looked at the boat from the third link above. Very pretty!
              Last edited by LongIslandBoy; 01-19-2014, 02:21 PM. Reason: Cited the wrong link.
              "Simplicity, Clarisse! First principles..."

Comment

• WX
                Uki NSW Australia
                • Feb 2002

Jim, was my PDF any help?
                Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• Jim Ledger
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by WX
                  Jim, was my PDF any help?
                  You're darn right it was, Gary, I've been following your instructions to the letter. Thanks!

Is there some way you could post it here? Judging from the amount of interest shown here I'm sure it would be a welcome addition to our fund of information.

For the rest of you, Gary has published an article in Junk Rig Magazine detailing his mast build. It's well written, informative and has a nice set of accompanying photos.

Comment

• blindbrook
                    • Apr 2010

Jim,
                    Thx for posting this and organizing the additional information. A great resource which I will need in the future, I only hope I can first complete the platform on which it will rest.
                    Best,
                    Jon

Comment

• WX
                      Uki NSW Australia
                      • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Jim Ledger
                      You're darn right it was, Gary, I've been following your instructions to the letter. Thanks!

Is there some way you could post it here? Judging from the amount of interest shown here I'm sure it would be a welcome addition to our fund of information.

For the rest of you, Gary has published an article in Junk Rig Magazine detailing his mast build. It's well written, informative and has a nice set of accompanying photos.
                      I could do it as a separate thread, which is what I am assuming you mean.

Comment

• WX
                        Uki NSW Australia
                        • Feb 2002

I've had a think about it and I've submitted it to Wooden Boat as a possible magazine article. If they were to publish it then I would have the $$ for the safety gear i still need to sail the sea.

Comment

• Bill Perkins
                          • Mar 2002

Hello Jim ; what's the length of the mast's bury ?

Comment

• Tom Robb
                            • May 2004

"Did you drive around to see if there were any more?"
                            It pays to marry well. Good choice Jim.

Comment

• WX
                              Uki NSW Australia
                              • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Bill Perkins
                              Hello Jim ; what's the length of the mast's bury ?
                              I'm not Jim but it should be around 10% of the mast length.

Comment

• Jim Ledger
                                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by WX
                                I've had a think about it and I've submitted it to Wooden Boat as a possible magazine article. If they were to publish it then I would have the $$ for the safety gear i still need to sail the sea.
                                That's a great idea, Gary. I was going to suggest a thread of its own, because it would be easier to find in the future, but a published article would get the most exposure. Good luck with it!

Comment

Working...