Thread: MALEO 32' Wittholz tug - info. opinions?

Default MALEO 32' Wittholz tug - info. opinions?

Hoping Ron Williamson will jump in here. Does anyone have any pics. or experience with these Wittholz trawler tugs?

Default Re: MALEO 32' Wittholz tug - info. opinions?

How can I help?
    I have quite a few photos that include the boat,but generally as background.
    I could still get access for better ones of the interior,but since she's been sold,I would need to get permission.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Hi Ron,

Photos of any kind would be great. No rush as this is only musing at this time. I'm interested in your general impression of this boat. What you like, don't like, what you'd change if you were going to build one. Wittholz mentions in his catalog that these were stretched to 34' and 36' on some boats. Care to take a guess where thing were placed in the longer boats. They were built from Maleo's plans so there were no drawings for the changes.

Thanks,
    Roger

Posted these some-where's.......

More length would allow a few more inches in the head and the galley, which could make a huge difference in livability.....

http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com

Maleo's a great boat.
    She could definitely use a few more inches in the head.Anyone over about 200lb.,or who isn't too agile, will need to leave the door open.
    The V-berth is pretty decent, even if one of the pair is 6'3".
    The hanging locker is smallish,but alright,if you aren't a pack rat.
    The wheelhouse is really good, with plenty of space for four to stand and a couple to sit.
    The engine access is pretty good because the most of the wheelhouse floor is made up of three hatches which lift out completely.
    The galley isn't bad,but the addition of shelves and drawers along the portside cabin wall has been a great help.
    I built the fiddle on those shelves to the same height as the tabletop so that the fold down table could be slid fore and aft,but the table stayed ashore.I'm not sure why not,but it wasn't my boat,if you know what I mean.
    If the sidedecks were raised like on a Penbo, there would be quite a bit more space for systems and a tolerable double berth instead of the settee/single with a swing up back that makes a minimal top bunk.
    The aft companionway is a headbanger partly because you look down to step up over the sill.
    I built two large raised hatches that mostly fill the cockpit.The space around them acts as a gutter to keep them water resistant.I don't know of anytime that we took waves aboard that went into the cockpit.
    I also built a stern seat that fits between the benches in the cockpit and doubles as a swim platform when hung from a few pieces of line.
    The Volvo MD30 provides plenty of power especially when you consider that we cruised at about 2000 RPM and get 7kn at 1.3 GPH.
    I suppose that it's technically overpropped because it would start to make black smoke at about 2500 and only spin up to 2700,when the redline is supposed to be 3800.
    This graphs in this brochure
    http://vppneuapps.volvo.com/ww/PIE/V...338&lang=en-GB
    show that the efficiency and torque are still pretty good and the engine is only making 30-some hp where we used it,so we didn't bugger with it,figuring that it would last longer.
    At full speed,she starts to leave the stern wave behind,but doesn't ever make much wake.We met a guy who had the same design in steel and had added a 4' fantail, claiming that it was better,somehow.
    I would add a bit more flare in the bow or widen the spray rails a bit,just to keep things a bit drier when the chop is square and 4'-5'.
    That said,she doesn't slap or root in the bottom of the wave troughs.
    In a beam sea, the steadying sail does nothing,but the motion isn't bad anyway.We'd just head into it and hang on.
    When the waves are on the quarter, the motion is normal,ie.hard to take on the first day, especially with beer, diesel fumes and fish guts in the mix.

The construction and materials were top notch, except that I would have made sure that she had full width deckbeams under the wheelhouse with supports down to the longitudinal stringers or one piece engine room bulkheads.
    We retrofitted a deckbeam and support posts bolted to the engine beds as she was starting lose her shape.The hump in the middle of the galley floor was the big clue,but it took a while to figure it out because the keel wasn't hogged.

R
    Sleep with one eye open.

My father owned "Maleo" from the late 60`s - mid 70`s. I have been looking for this boat for quite a few years. Father kept the vessel in the Chesapeake (Annapolis and Oxford). I learned a lot being onboard her and to this day miss the boat. My 1st experience with a diesel motor, dead reckoning, docking...The childhood experience on Maleo lead me to the wooden boat club in Oslo Norway when I lived there in the 1990`s. There I acquired a converted wooden fishing trawler and toured the Swedish and Norwegian coasts.

Father and I visited Wittholz in Silver Springs Md. They were working on plans for a larger vessel. I also remember Maleo as being a "registered" boat with Lloyds of London. Father received a letter from Lloyds asking for his side of the story concerning an accident at sea that was obviously a mix up. The original owner, Stetler, was a naval submariner and had acquired the wheel from a naval destroyer upon his retirement from the navy. This was Maleo`s wheel.

I would love to see some current photos of Maleo and to know where she lays.

CJ

Cool.
    My father in law bought her as a retirement project in 1998 and kept her until 2013 when she was sold to another guy who is close to retirement.
    We gnawed away at various bits of deferred maintenance every winter and toured around northern Lake Huron in the summer.
    She is berthed in Tobermory Ontario an well cared for by Tobermory Marine.
    We were curious about her history,with no real way to find any info. We assumed the Pete Stetler had held onto her for quite a while.
    The OP's photo is from a 2012 classified ad.
    My FIL still has the destroyer wheel. When he changed the hydraulic helm steering pump the old wheel wouldn't fit the new hub.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

When Pop bought Maleo, she came with a spare screw which was stored in the anchor rope locker. Pop mounted a fire axe in the forward V berth cabin on the inside of the deck house bulkhead.

CJ

I never saw a spare screw,but the fire ax was in place and intact.
    There had been some sad butchery done on the sides of the wheelhouse and the cockpit floor with ply- glop, but the rest of our work was due to neglect.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

How does a boat of this size, but of not so great draft and displacement actually handle in rough water? Someone was recently looking at Beuhlers "captain Eddy" which is around the same displacement, but has a low chine at the bow which i understand may not be a good thing heading down sea? Sorry for thread drift.