Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones is Carp!

Default Game of Thrones is Carp!

Unspeakably stupid, cliched, stereotypical and unmitigated carp!

SWIMPAL and I couldn't make it through the first episode. To say the acting was wooden is to insult wood.

Here's a review I can agree with:
    http://partialobjects.com/2013/08/ga...od-one-part-1/

GoT isn't even B grade. I'd rather watch a hundred actual B grade sword and sandal epics from the 60s ten times over than watch the remainder of the first episode, let alone a whole series, let alone four series. It's just so completely awful. Whilst one might say many of the deaths and breasts are gratuitous, I say the whole thing is gratuitous on the same why Myly Cyrus is gratuitous.

Why anyone would subject themselves willingly to such wasteful twaddle is beyond me.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Default Re: Game of Thrones is Carp!

I hope you didn't get a box set for Christmas.

You can hear the sigh of relief that far away can you?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

boobies and beheadings
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

i actually like the hbo series, but dislike the books
    i will admit its a bit formulaic, typical of the genre
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I haven't seen the movie(s) because I thought the books were so bad. Gratuitous violence, so-so plot. I never have understood the hoopla. Note that I am a Sci-Fi & Fantasy fan, so it's not the genre I'm objecting to.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i actually like the hbo series, but dislike the books
    i will admit its a bit formulaic, typical of the genre
    A bit? It's the formula stripped of all flesh! I gotta git you some culture young man! Even culture from a Petrie dish has more substance than GoT.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I gave up after the second book. As at least one person mentioned in the comments, if you want real epic, read my friend Steve's Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    boobies and beheadings
    I like it!

Thanks to the boxed set you gave me, and then told me to share with the troops. Has season 4 started yet? It will hit the Afghan pirated video stores within days.

Sometimes at the end of a long work day, all I want is beheadings and boobies.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

But it's such a good primer for politics . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post

SWIMPAL and I couldn't make it through the first episode. To say the acting was wooden is to insult wood.

GoT isn't even B grade. I'd rather watch a hundred actual B grade sword and sandal epics from the 60s ten times over than watch the remainder of the first episode, let alone a whole series, let alone four series. It's just so completely awful. Whilst one might say many of the deaths and breasts are gratuitous, I say the whole thing is gratuitous on the same why Myly Cyrus is gratuitous.

Why anyone would subject themselves willingly to such wasteful twaddle is beyond me.
    Any series you would suggest that is more up to date than the 60s?
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    Any series you would suggest that is more up to date than the 60s?
    We can always start here...

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Game of Thrones can be dumb, perverse, grotesque. But it also has vivid characters and great settings. I enjoy it in the same way I enjoy trash classics such as The Road Warrior and Repo Man.

A newer series that I started watching on DVD years after it ended was the Battlestar Galactica remix, which was similar in many ways to Game of Thrones.

I can't wait to hear your review of Spartacus, Duncan.

Steven

I've seen a few episodes and it really didn't hook me on the series, and I'm a fan of the genre too.

In fact no fictional series has really stood out for me since the reboot of BSG, though I'm hopeful that the upcoming Helix will cure that.
    Nosce te ipsum

I agree with Mr. Gibbs. There's a big difference between fables and juvenile male fantasies. See also LOTR and The Hobbit.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    This week, it is Robert E. Lee and this week, Stonewall Jackson. Is it George Washington next? You have to ask yourself, where does it stop?

I've never bothered, but then I bother less and less with TV and with luck I'll dodge films completely this year. In fact I'll make that my only New Year's resolution.
    From my occasional glimpses of SWMBo's viewing regime it's mostly rubbish with a few reasonable documentaries tossed in.

Without doubt!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    We can always start here...

Xanthorrea

http://youtu.be/FVY0Hy-D7XE
    For those who've come across the seas
    We've boundless plains to share;

I refer you to the reply given in the matter of Arkell v. Pressdram.

Eh, I liked it, taken for what it is, light entertainment with boobies and beheadings, you won't be disappointed. There are some awesome moments and characters. Take the good with the bad but if you're looking for perfect I doubt you'll find much out there.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Game of Thrones can be dumb, perverse, grotesque. But it also has vivid characters and great settings. I enjoy it in the same way I enjoy trash classics such as The Road Warrior and Repo Man.
    Mad Max and Repo Man are infinitely better squared than this pile of trash. The only thing rich about the characters is the fact that the so-called actors are prolly paid a motza. I agree wholeheartedly with that review I posted in the OP: each character is valent and only capable of being in that type. They are only one dimensional. The dialogue is completely awful, dead and uninspired. There is no actual storyline to speak of and nothing happens: just boobies and beheadings.

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    There are some awesome moments and characters. Take the good with the bad but if you're looking for perfect I doubt you'll find much out there.
    I'm not looking for perfection, but the way a whole bunch of people were going on about it, I was expecting something that was actually good. But there is no good, and if there was any by the time it rolls around I'd probably want to be smashing the tv screen in. The settings are dreadful as well. Doctor Who does CGI settings eleventy million times better.

From the several examples of HBO productions I've seen, with the exception of Boardwalk Empire which was great TV, they've all been pretty disappointing. That one about the carnies was the same: nothing happened. It's all bad TV masquerading as "quality" just because it looks like it was shot on 35mm.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Duncan one of the HBO offerings that thoroughly impressed me was Rome. If you haven't seen it's worth watching.
    Nosce te ipsum

From the several examples of HBO productions I've seen, with the exception of Boardwalk Empire which was great TV, they've all been pretty disappointing. That one about the carnies was the same: nothing happened. It's all bad TV masquerading as "quality" just because it looks like it was shot on 35mm.
    I'm beginning to think you didn't like it Dunc.

Back to the Ring Cycle for you .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I'm beginning to think you didn't like it.
    A sweeping judgement, based on a partial viewing of one episode?

You have enormous faith in yourself, Duncan, and no modesty in expression.

True, but fortunately that's not the entirety of Duncan....

We don't know how lucky we are....

Plus a random opening of pages from ALL the books on my niece's bookshelf. The prose is barely worthy of Dick and Jane, or Mills and Boon. When there is sooooo much brilliant literature and television about that actually has complexity and depth and things actually happen why waste time on GoT?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Game of Thrones? The books I found incredibly boring, and honestly, the dvd's aren't a whole lot better, but they are (imo) better than almost anything else there is to watch on television. The problem with these HBO shows is that as soon as you begin getting interested in a character they kill them off. It is almost like they (the writers) know that they really have nothing to work with, and if they keep killing off the old characters and introducing new ones it'll keep the stories interesting.

I agree about 'Rome'. Probably my favorite television series ever, but if you recall, they were smart enough to only do two series. I don't know how much longer it could have gone on.

I have read every book by Bernard Cornwell that has been released in North America, and in every book I could almost tell you the whole story just by picking it up and seeing what the characters were named. They are essentially the same story told over and over again in different settings. My favorites are the 'Lord Uhtred' stories, because I think that in those books Cornwell is able to bring all of the things he writes best about to the table in one place. That being said, these are not books to learn anything from and he doesn't pretend to try and teach. He is just writing stories to sell and make a living. Now, they aren't bad (obviously I don't think so, since I must have read 50 of them, most several times). He understands his market and he works with it. I believe that HBO does the same thing with their television programs. 'beheadings and boobies' are a lot of what HBO does. They did the same with 'Rome', with 'Deadwood', with 'the Sopranos', and it worked. I just wonder how much longer 'GoT' can go before people get really bored with it?

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    True, but fortunately that's not the entirety of Duncan...
    I am content to discount him in this instance as a bag of wind, without addressing his enormity.

I see you two have met .

Go Brunhilda !
    Grateful Dead

Duncan is no bag of wind, and he is just voicing his opinion. Why is that any different than any other post of this forum?

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Duncan is an excellent fellow and I see him in full shining reality quite often. We disagree on the arts and music.
    Grateful Dead

How about HBO's "Curb Your Enthusiasm"? Now that's some seriously funny television.

Steven

?

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Duncan is no bag of wind, and he is just voicing his opinion. Why is that any different than any other post of this forum?
    The combination of limited exposure and unlimited vehemence suggests that some aspect of the first episode (which he didn't get through) flipped his Presbyterian Granny switch.

I didn't say he was different, did I?

Chip, I can open up any page on the six volumes on my niece's shelf by this Martin chappy and find only filler and not a shred of actual literature. It's all 'Lord Suchnsuch opened the door to the bedroom only to find his wife humping the Prince/King/Dwarf. "M'lady you are a whore!" he exclaimed. "Well you are a dishonourable coward my lord. Did you pick up the milk on the way home?"' And then it segues into something else of no relevance to any particular storyline, or does anything to expound any of the characters in any way, shape or form. It's all just so much drivel. This all gets translated into film very well, when it takes 45 minutes to get through a trio of fellas getting ambushed in the snow, to the king arriving (what killed his right hand dude isn't explained at all), to a wedding where the women get humped and the blokes rip each other apart for kicks.

The only redeeming feature is that it provided economic activity for a bunch of people. If it looks like carp, and pans out pretty quickly to be carp, then I can only presume the rest of it to be carp. I could read a paragraph of Rush and tell you about the quality of the rest of the article and I bet you could do the same.

Bag of wind, my arse! Well.... Only after I eat a tin of beans!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93