Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Idea's about gardner's flatiron skiff

Default Idea's about gardner's flatiron skiff

I BUILD A SMALL DORY WITH 36" BOT, BUT THIS BOAT WITH TROLLING MOTOR ON BACK NO ROWING. IT IS OK FOR FISHING AS LONG AS I'M ALONE IT IS 14ft LG. WITH ONLY ME IN BOAT IT HANDLES VERY WELL SMOOTH ON THE WATER.
    NOW I NEED A BOAT TO HANDLE 2 PEOPLE AND BE STABLE NOT TIPPY.
    I LIKE THE FLATIRON SKIFF BY GARDNER BUT WANT IDEA'S FROM SOMEBODY WHO KNOWS MORE THAN ME. THE DORY WAS MY FIRST BUILD, I ENJOYED THE BUILD.

Default Re: Idea's about gardner's flatiron skiff

The Gardner flatiron should work well for 2. If you like the classic designs, the beamier Atkin skiffs are also worth considering. What size outboard and what type of boating are you thinking of?

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I will only use trolling motor on slow rivers or lakes for fishing. I just want a stable boat so i can move around.

Quote Originally Posted by FARMS100 View Post
    I will only use trolling motor on slow rivers or lakes for fishing. I just want a stable boat so i can move around.
    You may want to research "stability". "primary and secondary" Most people only want, demand, gotta have, primary = flat bottom boats, dry and stable enough to walk around in.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

I'd ask myself whether I wanted a traditional build or not? Gardner's flatiron is planked, not plywood.I'd also ask how much I'd be rowing,since the boat has a lot of rocker ( curvature)to the bottom. If not rowing I'd want a straighter run ( less rocker).

You might consider one of the Brockway skiffs.

http://www.soundschool.com/Sound%20S...ockwayfull.pdf

But I would love to watch a build of the Gardner come together!
    Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Stability at small angles does not come from the shape of the bottom, it comes from the waterplane and the part of the hull near; of a flat bottom and round bottom wall sided hull of the same beam, they have nearly identical stability.

Karl

I built the one on p.266 of " The Dory Book" by Gardner. It is 14'4", I'm about 175 lbs. and can sit on the gunnel causing the boat to heel about 4-5" . The plans show both planked and plywood versions. Mine is planked. With one person on board and a 3 hp motor 6-7 mph, 18 hp 20+ mph. I've had it about 5 years, lives on a trailer, very happy with it.
    It's a little crowded with more than 3 average sized people on board. Handy for two to fish.

Kevin
    the gardner flatiron is built with plywood maybe the orginal was planked but the one in dory book page 266 is drawn using plywood. I will only use a small trolling motor i have 2
    1--24# minn kota 1-- 30# minn kota so my speed maybe just above rowing not very fast at all.
    The dory i built had rocker too i liked yhe way it turned.

SEAB THAT IS THE KIND OF BOAT I WANT AND THAT IS WAY I WILL USE IT THANKS

Ahh ...^

He has a chapter on for a plank on frame boat in Building Classic Small Craft. I cant find a pic on the web, but its in the book.

I always thought he referred to the boats you fellas are referring to as " semi dories."

Anyway, sounds like a great build!

SEAB--How about a pic or two?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Be careful when choosing a boat designed for two.
    Often the design is for two 130 pound people.
    Like one adult and one child etc.,.

If you have two adults with ice chest, oars, jackets,anchor & anchor rode,
    and other stuff the boat will not be large enough.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Donald, its fine for 2 people with all the stuff you mention, unless they are over say 500 lbs. combined. *Then it might be a little crowded. The bottom is not not really wide, but good flare to the gunnels.

Breakaway, I'm having probs trying to pull my photos off Photobucket, since they changed it. *If you would be willing to PM me with an email I could send them to you. *Its white pine on English Oak, bronze fastened, as I wanted to do dory lap for the topsides. Phil

KEVIN
    THAT BOOK SHOWS ALMOST ALL PLANKED BOATS. I'M NOT REAL SURE BUT IT SEAMS THAT HE CALLS THEM BOTH
    SEMI-DORYS AND SKIFFS, THIS ONE HE NAMES IN THE DORY BOOK HE CALLS THIS A FLATIRON SKIFF 14 1/2ft.
    SO I DON'T KNOW.

It looks like a semi-dory to me. I was very pleasantly surprised by how much better it looked built, than in the drawings.

SeaB--check your PMs.

kevin

Quote Originally Posted by karl kirkman View Post
    Stability at small angles does not come from the shape of the bottom, it comes from the waterplane and the part of the hull near; of a flat bottom and round bottom wall sided hull of the same beam, they have nearly identical stability.

Karl
    Volumes have been written on the topic. and allot of mis-information is out there too. I'm not an expert, only suggesting the OP research it before building.

I Own 30ft keel boat coastal cruiser solid as it is, I still have re-assure some friends it's not going "over" so primal is the fear of "going over"

MOST people; most people are not boating oriented, even though on forums like this we tend to forget that; want to feel they are on rock solid surfaces when standing.. anything less invokes something from within the psyche.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

SeaB's boat. Very nice!

One more of SeaB's boat

Thanks, it was an easy build as well. Although several times the estimated 40 hr. build time that Gardner spoke of for a well experienced builder, if built in plywood.
    By the way I can't see the photos they show as blue boxes with question marks inside.

Bottom of 7/8" white pine, framing English oak, hackmatack stem, bronze screws, copper clenched dory lap of 1/2" white pine. It gets lots of nice comments.
    It was built for fishing and running my antique outboards. I'm a sailor at heart, but finding it quicker and easier to get out on the water more frequently with this boat. It lives on a trailer when not on the water. One soak up at season start, combined with rainand the odd hose out seems to be sufficient at present.
    Last edited by SeaB; 12-19-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Cant see em? How about now?

These are all images of a boat SeaB built. ( second attempt at posting)
    Kevin

Does the dory lap joints get glued?

Donald, just some paint in the laps before fastening. Screws from garboards into side of bottom, with Sikaflex 291. The laps are still nice and tight after 5+ years.

Sikaflex 291, planks to transom and stem, and between butted bottom planks.

Farms100, if it is windy the bow may be a little hard to control with a trolling motor. It does have that dory upturn at the bow. I notice it mostly if it's windy while anchoring.

It has twin skegs and tracks very nicely as mentioned in the build article. Some of the places I fish have a steep chop and shallow water, I do not run it at anywhere close to full speed in those conditions. It seems to me that a 15 hp 2 stroke is about right for motor power and weight for one person, perhaps 20 hp with two people. It works fine with a 2-3 hp as well. I use 2 strokes because that is what I have and can easily lift. A 15 hp 4 stroke might be a little on the heavy side with one person sitting in the back holding the tiller. I would like to see a self bailing well (slop well?) just ahead of the transom with a heavier motor. The best place to sit for max speed with one person is about 3-3 1/2 ' forward of the stern, on the rear bench seat. I use a tiller extension on my 18 hp motor. The max. weight advisable for motor,person and gear right in the stern would be about 300 lbs, in my opinion. I have a starboard side seat only in the stern.
    Last edited by SeaB; 12-20-2013 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seab View Post
    donald, just some paint in the laps before fastening. Sikaflex 291, planks to transom and stem, and between butted bottom planks.
    kevin
    i like that ! It will do the job i want nicely, mine will be in plywood
    i will need a little practice before doing as good as your job. Also i
    want a boat that is not very heavy because i'm most always alone.
    I retired and go fishing 2-3 times a week or maybe say i go boat riding
    i don't always catch anything, but i have a good time.
    I didn,t know my question would get so much attendation. I'm on a couple other forums and they are not so fast as you folks, they fish all the time. Later today i will post a picture of my dory built.
    I WAS WRITING AT SAME TIME AS YOU THIS MORNING POSTED MINE AND THERE YOU ARE THANKS FOR PICTURES
    Last edited by FARMS100; 12-20-2013 at 07:45 AM.

Gardner's Flat Iron Skiff is designed to plane with like a 10 HP motor. What Gardner really liked about it was that the completely flat bottom kept the bow down and helped eliminate much of the pounding that flat-bottomed skiffs are famous for. Seems kind of a waste to push that particular boat through the water at semi-displacement speeds as it was designed for planing and not very efficient at displacement speeds. But hey, if it makes you happy, go for it!

I can't get my pictures in here they are to big I TRYED POSTING PICTURES BUT DON'T KNOW HOW WILL HAVE TO LEARN HOW.
    I WILL BUILT SEATS ON BOTH SIDE OF STERN TO USE WHILE FISHING.
    Last edited by FARMS100; 12-20-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenjamin View Post
    gardner's flat iron skiff is designed to plane with like a 10 hp motor. What gardner really liked about it was that the completely flat bottom kept the bow down and helped eliminate much of the pounding that flat-bottomed skiffs are famous for. Seems kind of a waste to push that particular boat through the water at semi-displacement speeds as it was designed for planing and not very efficient at displacement speeds. But hey, if it makes you happy, go for it!
    when i saw your post i had to think of a reply. The flatiron skiff will be big enough have a friend go with me. I might in the future find a small
    motor for it. The boat i built a small dory is too small for 2 people with supplies. I learned a lesson with this built that is the reason for this thread i'm asking for help with my next boat. I like j gardner's boats. Al

I can't get my pictures in here they are to big I TRYED POSTING PICTURES BUT DON'T KNOW HOW WILL HAVE TO LEARN HOW.
    I WILL BUILT SEATS ON BOTH SIDE OF STERN TO USE WHILE FISHING.
    Farms this will help I use photobucket. most of the sites using Vbulletin format don't have the tools set up for uploads from Harddrives.

when i saw your post i had to think of a reply. The flatiron skiff will be big enough have a friend go with me. I might in the future find a small
    motor for it. The boat i built a small dory is too small for 2 people with supplies. I learned a lesson with this built that is the reason for this thread i'm asking for help with my next boat. I like j gardner's boats. Al
    Al, here's a boat that is very efficient at displacement speeds and can certainly take a couple of guys fishing. It can be sailed, rowed, and will take a very small motor. It's also easily built with stitch and glue construction, has plenty of built-in flotation and is easily righted in case you do happen to flip it over. Gardner's Flat Iron Skiff will certainly have better initial stability but it won't be near as efficient at slow speeds as boats like Ross Lillistone's Flint pictured here.

If you want a boat that planes then the Flat Iron Skiff would be a better choice but it's going to want at least an 8 HP or 10 HP motor to do that with two guys and their fishing gear. The Flint will move nicely at displacement speeds with a 2 or 3 horse.
    Last edited by kenjamin; 12-20-2013 at 07:00 PM.

kevin
    i like that ! It will do the job i want nicely, mine will be in plywood
    i will need a little practice before doing as good as your job. Also i
    want a boat that is not very heavy because i'm most always alone.
    Just to be clear I am repeating: That is SeaB's boat. I just posted the pictures for him.

Kevin

Ok i got the wrong guy i still like the boat al
    SEAB : HOW WIDE ARE THE SIDE BOARDS AND ARE THEY STRAIGHT OR HAVE TO BE TRIMED TO FIT, ALSO LOOKS THEY ARE LAPED? ALSO HOW THICK WAS THE BOARDS SIDES AND BOT AL
    Last edited by FARMS100; 12-23-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Well i have done a lot of studing of boat plans this week since i started this thread. Today i made a model of the flatiron skiff by j. Gardner. I changed the back a little made the transom not as wide, i cut it down from 39 1/2" to 30" and i like that design in back.
    I still have not learned how to tell how much rocker a design will have in it, if i read plans right the rocker will be in the front
    of this boat let me know the answer to this, al

Quote Originally Posted by kenjamin View Post
    Al, here's a boat that is very efficient at displacement speeds and can certainly take a couple of guys fishing. It can be sailed, rowed, and will take a very small motor. It's also easily built with stitch and glue construction, has plenty of built-in flotation and is easily righted in case you do happen to flip it over. Gardner's Flat Iron Skiff will certainly have better initial stability but it won't be near as efficient at slow speeds as boats like Ross Lillistone's Flint pictured here.

If you want a boat that planes then the Flat Iron Skiff would be a better choice but it's going to want at least an 8 HP or 10 HP motor to do that with two guys and their fishing gear. The Flint will move nicely at displacement speeds with a 2 or 3 horse.
    That boat in the photo looks overloaded to me.

Yep, overloaded but holding up pretty well. Good thing this particular boat is easily righted with its built-in flotation in place. In pleasant conditions like this I guess they are all adults and can make their own choices in the matter, but yeah, I agree that it would have been safer if someone had stayed home. I think that's kind of what the guys are smiling about. They know they are maxing out this little 14 footer.

Well i have done a lot of studing of boat plans this week since i started this thread. Today i made a model of the flatiron skiff by j. Gardner. I changed the back a little made the transom not as wide, i cut it down from 39 1/2" to 30" and i like that design in back.
    I still have not learned how to tell how much rocker a design will have in it, if i read plans right the rocker will be in the front
    of this boat let me know the answer to this, al
    Gardner's Flat Iron Skiff that I'm familiar with doesn't have any rocker. It literally is flat as an iron. Not a good thing at all for rowing or other displacement speeds but great for skipping along on a plane with a seven to ten horse motor and keeping pounding to a minimum because the bottom doesn't curve up at all kind of like this boat,...ah.. er... table.

Thanks kenjamin for the answer. You have the right boat in mind. I'm not ready to build yet but made model to see the shape with the changes to back i like. I found all kinds of skiffs to chose from the wide ones are too wide i 'll have a 30# minn kota to push it with so i need aboat that is not that big, they were from 30" t0 48" and i wanted something in the middle 40" is a good size without being too big.