Thread: Span Farm#2. Karin 3 and Sir Thomas L.

Following on with my Span Farm sojourn,.....Karin 3 ( or 2, I've seen it both ways) has been in the media quite a bit here over the last 2 years. I’ve been loosely following events and have come across this boat and heard of it in a few different locations around town.

Without referring to paper… from memory that is , a man bought the boat a few years ago and has sunk a lot of money and effort into the rebuild because of it’s past owners.
    It’s apparently a Colin Archer of the general north sea rescue boat type. I didn’t pace it out but it must be about 40- 45 ft long and she is massive.
    There has been a lot of hype about it being built for Lipton. I don’t know what the proof of this is, but this is what is being said. At one stage it was even being sponsored by Lipton Tea here.
    The other famous owner claimed was Alan Buchanan, and I have seen plans by him for changes to rig and accomodation.
    The most recent media stuff about the boat was just before the Americas cup jubilee in the UK. The boat was invited to race apparently.
    This, plus the sponsorship by Liptons goes a way to establishing provenence to my mind.
    She was on the TV and in the local papers but each time I saw her I thought, “she can’t make it”.And, she didn’t.

Anyway, this is the state of her now. She’s had students and carpenters working on her sistering or replacing frames.

The workmanship is what you would expect.

[ 07-22-2002, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: John B ]

Does not look at all the sort of boat that Tommy Lipton would have gone in for! I cannot see what he would possibly want with such a vessel.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Exactly!

Sir Thomas Lipton was essentially a racer, though he also owned a large steam yacht, which he cruised with, used as tender to his racers, and entertained his friends, notably including Edward VII, aboard.

I don't see why he would want anything to do with an Archer redningskoite type boat - and it is worth remembering that Archer, when asked for a yacht, designed a yacht, not a redningskoite - Erskine Childers's wedding present, Asgard is a good example of Archer's cruising yacht style. The redinigskoites were all hard at work patrolling the coast of Norway in Lipton's day, they were not sold off and turned into yachts until later.

Crossed wires, methinks - but she does look like a redningskoite and there is an active preservation society in Norway....

....and I fancy that the Royal Ulster YC will have records, and probably models, as I recall, of all yachts owned by Lipton.

[ 07-22-2002, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Craig-Bennett ]
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Andrew,I have to admit that I've been very skeptical about the claims because of the reasons you have put.
    The whole Am cup jubilee invitation thing had me puzzeled.
    I did see those drawings with Buchanans name on them though.
    There was something to do with Hong Kong too. The boat supposedly came from there to NZ .

This history thing has telephone number valuations being bandied around.

Alan Buchanan is alive and well and still in business, in Jersey, and takes a close interest in his boats (he is still designing) so that side of things could be rund down fast enough - he will have records of any design work done on her.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I went searching for this old post of mine because I discovered this picture of Karin 3 when looking at Dyarchys.

http://www.yalumba.co.uk/Framesets/Boats%20and%20Yachts .htm

She was still a wreck last time I saw her, with workmanship of the most atrocious standard in her "new" frames.

this site is worth looking at too.
    http://karin3.orcon.net.nz/images/
    It's the spin.

[ 03-31-2004, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: John B ]

Default Re: Span Farm#2. Karin 3 and Sir Thomas L.

I worked on the Karin 3 at Span Farm Glendene. She was moved there from Pine Harbour where she was sitting uncovered on a steel cradle with her hull full of pine offcuts, the remains of poorly cut ribs doubled to the original oak. I spent six months filling and fairing having removed so much rot I doubted her structure was sound enough to support her own weight. There was some hogging to the keel. I refinished the rudder which was laminated oak and must have weighed over 120kg alone. The cabin top had been reconstructed to a very good standard by a gentleman in Whitianga. The rig, many fittings were accounted for and were in either excellent original condition or new reproductions. The owner lost possession for a time and everything passed into the hands of a finance company.
    Many years later I was told that the owner had regained ownership and then sold her to a film company. I was told that she was used as a film prop and burned.
    I was never able to verify the connection with Sir Thomas Lipton after extensive research on the Internet as well as at Auckland Maritime Museum. The registry has her constructed in Norway around 1908. She was clearly a Colin Archer. I read the account of her crossing the Atlantic and participating in racing at Bermuda I believe although I read that twenty years ago so don't quote me
    If anyone else is able to shed more light on her fate I would greatly appreciate it.