Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Some drawings

Default Re: Some drawings

Yay, Snow Day! With work called off on accounta' the weather, I glued up the blank for my boat's skeg in the basement this A.M.
    I also tried my hand at a watercolor. For inspiration, I printed a photo of Ted Cody's D-18 Myst from DK Tyson's build thread. It's a Don Kurylko design. Photo by Frank K. Hope I gave everyone credit. A beautiful photo of a great boat!

[IMG] D-18Myst "Rachel"097 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

From a photo in one of EyeinHand's threads. He seems to be a great photographer!

[IMG] still water124 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Downingtown Pa (S/V UTOPIA down in Somer's Point, NJ)

outstanding!
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

I'm glad I clicked on this thread... very nice artwork... I made up a composite of a few of my favs...

Post more please...

RodB

Great work! It reminds me of the 19th century illustrations of spars, rigging, and other features. Are you aware of the U. S. Coast Guard's artist program?

Thanks folks! Bill, I had no idea. I'll investigate. I know Off Center Harbor has an artist's section of their site, but last time I checked, there was only one artist. Think I'll try to contact them, too.

Cheers,
    Mike

The Link to the program

http://www.uscg.mil/art/

During WWII, the Coast Guard enlisted some great artists. Hunter Wood is one I remember. I've been told some 10,000 pieces of Coast Guard Art is missing. The story I got was that many of works where on tour at the end of the war and when the war ended there was no one to collect them back. Of course, I am sure there are some officers with some in their homes. In 1977, we were assigned to recommission a cutter at Baltimore. The Chief Quarter Master noted someone had stolen the very nice wood spoke helm. Later we saw it, it was given to a retiring officer and someone had put engraved plates of his career on it. A new one had to be made from scratch.

Here's one based on a lovely photo by the mighty Jim Ledger. I couldn't think of a good title for this one. For now, "Boat Shop" will do.
    Suggestions?

[IMG] boat shop130 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is one of the view from the Darius Inn, where we stayed on Block Island last summer. The Blue Dory is across the street.

[IMG] block island135 by michaelowen3, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here are two new ones. The first is a square-rigged ship. It may be the one that doubled as the H.M.S. Surprise in the film "Master and Commander," I'm not sure, since I downloaded the pic a while ago. Then some ship's rigging. Is it properly called a block and tackle? Or just a block?

[IMG] square-rig147 by michaelowen3, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] block+tackle148 by michaelowen3, on Flickr[/IMG]

Very cool! I hope you got to show something like this to the 38th Voyager people. Makes me want to go re-read Treasure Island.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Nothing really new. Maybe later today. But last night I added watercolor to my tall-ship.

[IMG] watercolor ship150 by michaelowen3, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here's a quick one from tonight. It's rough, but I like it.

[IMG] surf dory151 by michaelowen3, on Flickr[/IMG]

I don't see much in that drawing that I couldn't do--pick any one line or mark and I'm physically capable of doing them all. Except when I do it, it doesn't look like a boat on a beach, it looks like a bunch of stuff that doesn't look at all like whatever it's trying to look like. I'm fascinated by how little it takes for a good artist to capture a scene and a mood. I'm really enjoying this thread--thanks!

I need to learn how to draw. Maybe someday I will invest the time to see what it's all about.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Thanks, Tom
    I guess I've had a bit of practice. I'm really enjoying making these, and this is such a nice place to show them. I had become quite jaded, cynical and unhappy with the "fine art" world and the work that I was doing to be in it. Building something that will carry me over the water, and making direct, uncomplicated drawings has been a welcome life-change for me.

As for learning to draw, maybe just try a coffee cup or your favorite plane or something. As my wife often tells me (and herself) "Don't focus on the outcome. Just showing up to the easel and making SOMETHING is your job."

Since you are a writer, maybe you are familiar with that critical voice that can stop you from doing anything. I'm learning that trying new things and failing is preferable to not trying.

One more quote from my better half, which she borrowed from Beckett. "Fail Better!"

Cheers,
    Mike

Here are a couple from my lunch-hours at work this week. I like dories.

[IMG] sailin dory155 by michaelowen3, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] big river dory156 by michaelowen3, on Flickr[/IMG]

A quick sketch before supper. This is a Whilly Boat sailing somewhere in Scotland, I think. The gent at the tiller was bald, but I gave him a little hair so it would look like my son and me in the boat. Gotta get your inspiration where you can.

[IMG] Whilly sailing160 by michaelowen3, on Flickr[/IMG]

Drew a Coquina Yawl built by the forum's own Reynard 38 today. It's a beautiful boat, and a great build thread. Can't wait for warmer weather so I can go out and draw from life instead of stealing folks' photos all the time.

[IMG] CoquinaYawl170 by michaelowen3, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is a new watercolor drawing. It's a little bigger (11x14 inches) Still having fun with these!

[IMG] bowsprit by michaelowen3, on Flickr[/IMG]

For Friday morning a pretty motorlaunch (correct term?)

[IMG] Motorlaunch182 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]

Had the day off from work, and still got a head cold, but had time to draw one of my favorite boats, OTTER. These folks are living the dream! It's even got a little stove. (Note smokestack.) As most of you know, she's a Wm. Garden EEL design. On my list.

[IMG] Otter2 by michaelowen3, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here are a couple from this week. The fist is the Tug that is parked on the lawn at Mystic Seaport. I took the liberty of putting her back in the water. The second is the foretopmast (I think) of the Charles W. Morgan, which I hope to get a closer look at this summer!

[IMG] Tugboat186 by michaelowen3, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG] Lubber's hole187 by michaelowen3, on Flickr[/IMG]

Beautiful...............thankyou for sharing your talent with us.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Here's one from last night/today. I'm finding it a little visually confusing, which is too bad, since it's a nice photo of a lovely boat.
    Loosely based on the Caledonia Yawl "Sparrow" owned by forumite Jim. Here...for your consideration...

[IMG] SparrowCY by michaelowen3, on Flickr[/IMG]

Looked up images of one of my favorite small boats, Francois Vivier's "Stir-ven." Found this lucky fella sailing along happily.

[IMG] stir-ven212 by michaelowen3, on Flickr[/IMG]

Haven't commented in a while, just letting you know that I admire your work and am enjoying it. I hope you keep posting.

[IMG][/IMG]

That was me trying to figure out posting images from photobucket. Thanks, Gib, for the kind words. I'll keep posting if the crazy internet overlords stop changing things round all the time. That image was HUGE. I'll see if I can get better. It's a friend to post # 70.

This is a mast on a reproduction of the Susan Constant, a merchant vessel form the 17th century. From a book called "Wooden Ship, the Art, History and Revival of Wooden Boatbuilding." A gift from my Mom. Thanks Mom!

Always a good day when there's a new picture on this thread--thanks for posting.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

I just discovered this thread and went through it thinking "if only i had a bit of that talent...." Very beautiful work! Thanks for sharing.
    Proud but humble member of the LPBC

Whoa. This was a lot of work. From a cool picture that came up when I searched for "Tancook Whaler." I love those boats and these two guys! (Second guy hidden in foreground.) Thanks for looking.
    Mike

I love seeing all of your drawings. The closest I can get to artistic ability is editing photos.

Here's one I just created from a creative commons picture found here.

This only took me maybe 10 minutes including using Google's advanced image search to find a photo to edit. Not the same as a real drawing but doesn't take as much skill.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    Whoa. This was a lot of work. From a cool picture that came up when I searched for "Tancook Whaler." I love those boats and these two guys! (Second guy hidden in foreground.) Thanks for looking.
    Mike

This is cool--great work!

I sent you a couple of private messages, just in case you haven't seen them. (The first one disappeared from my "Sent" box, which is why I sent the second--and now they're both in my "Sent" box so I've pestered you twice--sorry about that!)

Tom

www.tompamperin.com