Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some drawings

Default Re: Some drawings

Here is a slightly larger one. About 12"x15"

[IMG] cockpitaft by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    To Gib E. Sorry not to have replied sooner. That's alovely boat and an amazing photo! Did you build her? Got any close ups of interior details?
    Designed and built it for my son in '94. Here's the only other picture I have, scanned and a bit blurry. This picture means so much to me in so many ways. I didn't notice that you draw any people.

Nice work sir. Reminds me of Eric Sloane's work in his Museum of Early American Tools.

Hello. Well, I made a drawing based on your photo Mr. Etheridge. A gorgeous boat and a handsome young man. Not sure I did justice to either, but...

[IMG] canoe-boy040 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogKid View Post
    Latest work in progress:
    This I like.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Hey, that's really nice! Thank you for that. You da man Falcoon!

I see a nice wooden boat themed calendar here, thanks for sharing.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

A drawing of my Christmas present from my wife and son. Have a good day!

[IMG] anchor050 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Here is one based on Mr. McMullen's boat, which I quite admire. Not sure I got the hardware right. My photo was a little pixelated. I did, however, leave in the painty footy-prints.

[IMG] catspaws052 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Fantastic Falc.

Wonderful.

Thank you for sharing your work.

Last drawing of 2013. I don't know who this gentleman is, but he seems to be enjoying sailing his lovely boat. Maybe a Caledonia Yawl?
    Happy New Year everyone!

[IMG] pushpulltiller by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]

A wicked fast sketch from this AM before my son and I head down to Mystic Seaport.

[IMG] push pull053 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]

A drawing for a cold morning. Another Vertue.

[IMG] vertue055 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]

Great drawings!

I'm really enjoying your drawings, Falcon, keep them coming!

Thanks, Jim! Here's one I made today based on a photo I took New Year's day at Mystic Seaport.
    Boy was it cold out!

[IMG] anchor056 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]

Nice! The shading and perspective are excellent!

Have you ever seen this guys work...

http://www.noblemaritime.org/john_a_noble.html

From a photo I found online.

[IMG] mast hoops060 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]

A couple more to begin the weekend! It's warming up here, so I may work o the boat tomorrow.

[IMG] cleat067 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] St Ayles065 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]

Nice!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Nice work, Falcon!

Came across these looking for some drafting instruments myself this morning. I use them pretty extensively. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Staedtler-Dr...item3a89e0356f

They are the modern equivalent of the old Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph technical pens. Staedler has gone Rapidograph one better in my opinion. They have a silicone double sealing feature on the point inside the cap, so they don't dry out like the early ones did. I'm partial to metal tip pens. I think they give the line more "snap." I use "felt" tips, but find them not to be quite the same. Given the quality of your work, I'm presuming you've got your own favorites, of course. Nine bucks for a full set of seven Marsmatics is a hell of a deal, though. (They run about $25 for each pen, retail, IIRC.)

BTW, are you using a camera lucida for your drawings?

What a nice set! I remember using marsmatic and rapidograph in school. These days, I'm using Micron pens which I think are felt tip. These drawings started as very loose, almost throw-aways. I'd been somewhat blocked in my painting work, and my wife saw this sketch that I was using as a bookmark, and said "that's really cool," so I did a few more.

I'm flattered that one might think I'm using a C.L., but these are freehand. Have you read Hockney's book about the camera lucida, called "Secret Knowledge?" As someone who has made paintings using projections, I found it pretty persuasive.

Thanks for the tip about metal tips, no pun intended!

Mike

[IMG] 1st drawing070 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]

Reminds me of Eric Sloane's work in his Museum of Early American Tools.
    Thanks, and thanks for the reference. I just bought Sloane's "A Reverence for Wood." I love it!

Oh! You gotta get Sloane's A Museum of Early American Tools too! That is my favorite out of all of his books, each and every one of which is also my favorite! Also Jan Adkin's Moving Heavy Things. Masterpieces both of pen and ink illustration and of explanation of low-tech engineering.

I haven't read Hockney's book, but I have read reviews of it and I saw him recently on Bill Moyers show on PBS. I'm convinced of his theory without reading the book, actually. You obviously have a "good eye" and academic training and the old masters were a quantum leap from there, but still, the perspective is just too good all the time and you can only get subject to sit still for so long. I'm guessing a lot of them used camera lucidas for roughing out. Why not?

And it's about 33" by 24" which is sort of a CL give-away. Not that it takes anything away from it at all in my book. Apparently, a lot of academics got all bent out of shape that Hockney would even suggest such a thing!

Here is one I drew today of a Coquina Yawl, I believe. From what I could tell from my source photo, there is no rudder/tiller. Is this something one can do with the yawl rig and weight-shifting, etc.?

[IMG] coquina071 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]

The Coquina has rope steering, the rope goes through the transom to the rudder head. And it goes all around the inside of the boat so you can steer from anywhere in the boat.
    I've been enjoying your drawings, too. Thanks.

Steven

Rope steering can be set up on a lot of different boats. I have it on my Chamberlain Dory Skiff (your first drawing in this thread) and love it, but it certainly takes some getting used to.

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

This one shows the aft end of the boat in post 23. I think I found the pix on a yacht sales web page.

[IMG] aft end081 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is a drawing of a chilly New Year's Day at Mystic Seaport.

Bob C., if you're reading this, I think I figured out why some of the drawings look like they were made with the help of a camera lucida or other type of tracing. For some of them I do a preliminary pencil drawing, which I then erase. This leads to a strangely confident and accurate line maybe? Most of the early drawings in this thread are just going for it with pen on page. Sometimes though, it really goes pretty well, like the bird below. No pencil, just a skeleton, pen and paper.

Thanks for looking!

[IMG] whale boats082 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] bird bones083 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]

The Mystic drawing might be my favorite one yet--these are very cool. The bird, too, for that matter. Any word on how your 38th Voyagers application is going?

I was going to apply but decided not to at the last minute--too much else going on this summer for me. But good luck--I hope you get chosen so you can do lots more drawings!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.

Thanks Tom,
    No word yet. They'll let the finalists know by the end of the month, then choose from them by March.
    I just read the sample of your book. Love it! Is the boat's name from Pooh? I'll look forward to reading more. Hope you make it to shore!

Thanks--I appreciate the kind words about my writing. Indeed, Jagular is very much from A. A. Milne's The House at Pooh Corner. I've always thought this might be the funniest sentence ever written in the English language:

'What do Jagulars do?' asked Piglet, hoping that they wouldn't.

Seems to fit my boat perfectly...
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.

Here is an attempt to document the beginning of my Whilly Boat build, which is still in progress, and a link to that thread.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ild-in-Prov-RI

[IMG] building frame1084 by Lazyjack3, on Flickr[/IMG]