Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Francois Vivier Creizic, sail and oar 15' lightweight construction 110kg

Default Re: Francois Vivier Creizic, sail and oar 15' lightweight construction 110kg

Surprisingly close to Lillistones Phoneix 3....

But the lower bow on Creizic may help in maintaing course while rowing in a strong breeze?

Default Re: Francois Vivier Creizic, sail and oar 15' lightweight construction 110kg

Phoneix 4'9" beam , Ēreizic 5'3" so a bit bigger.
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 01-15-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    Phoneix 4'9" , Ēreizic 5'3" so a bit bigger.
    I didnt check the specs as i was thinking about visually alike, in some form shapes. Both cracking boats, would be happy with either.

I had very nearly decided on Phoenix III, and then I discover Vivier“s Creizic (I already own a Vivier Jewell). Now, what to do.........?
    Has anybody built a Creizic?

the chap who bought her from vivier sails with this group

http://www.arwenmarine.com/NewsCNL2016JYP.html

lots of pics

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    But the lower bow on Creizic may help in maintaing course while rowing in a strong breeze?
    Of course, if there's a strong breeze a lazy man would be sailing...

Looking at the photos, I agree Creizic is in the same class as the Phoenix III, but I really love the Phoenix III layout (removable side benches, a little longer cockpit with the centerboard a bit farther forward), which looks like it offers a touch more room. You can get farther forward on the benches, or take the benches out and get your weight farther outboard by sitting on the keel with your back against the side deck. Creizic looks a tiny bit cramped, possibly, in comparison (see photo in post # 64).

Similar enough that I wouldn't complain if someday a completed Creizic showed up under my Christmas tree, though!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.

Agree - however, the Creizic adjustable foot-rests is an attractive feature. Ross told me that he has an updated hull for the Phoenix III which I would like to try out (I will not build myself, but have a professional builder to do the job). I am also considering Vendia, possibly 5 mm to make it very lightweight.

Hopefully, I shall start this spring, and have the boat ready by this summer.

Erik
    Last edited by kleppar; 02-01-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Had a brief chat on the phone with Mr Vivier today - I will put my Jewell up for sale on his website; not to get rid of the boat, but to make available in the market a ready built Vivier sailboat; I shall have another centreboard sailboat 20-22 ft. built after completed sale of Jewell No. 6; another Jewell, or a variation on the same theme, also by Vivier. I mentioned my interest in Creizic to him, and the similarity to Phoenix III - he says he was inspired by the Aussie craft! So there...Anyway, should I want to have a Creizic built, he can update the drawings and make them ready for me on short notice.

Hmm... what to decide? Phoenix cockpit layout, practicability, weight, its ability to accomodate an outboard - all excellent features; also the size of its community. I also prefer clinker to stitch and glue. However, Creizic has two rowing stations, I like the rower foot rests, and you cannot beat Vivier on hull aestetics; his boats are all good looking!

What shall I go for?
    Last edited by kleppar; 02-09-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Just to let you know - I just bought the plans for Phoenix III!

First Mate, I presume?

my mistake, yes. the stitch and tape version. same hull? great video

Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    my mistake, yes. the stitch and tape version. same hull? great video
    A bit beamier (an inch, maybe?) but essentially the same boat. The designer speculated it might be a touch faster than the Phoenix III but I would guess nearly identical performance myself.

Man, I love the Phoenix III--a perfect boat for my kind of sailing!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.

Interior framing is slightly different on First mate as the glued lap hull is stiffer than the stitched panels. First Mate is an inch or so beamier and flat bottomed. Boats are similar enough that aesthetics and building method are the major thing to consider.

Can anyone compare the 16' Melonseed to the Phoenix III or the Creizic?
    I'm wondering what to expect for sailing qualities.