Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Francois Vivier Creizic, sail and oar 15' lightweight construction 110kg

Default Francois Vivier Creizic, sail and oar 15' lightweight construction 110kg

Another new design the Creizic a sail and oar boat

Note oar storage for those long oars

Note stitch and tape, lightweight simple build jig.

Default Re: Francois Vivier Creizic, sail and oar 15' lightweight construction 110kg

I think that this design looks the duck's nut's! I've been corresponding with Francois re this, he's working on it at the moment and I believe Icarai are making the prototype. Good to see that they're making progress. In the original design proposal the forward thwart was removable, I hope he retains that idea in the final version. I also asked him if it would take a small outboard and he replied that while not particularly designed for that, it would, so that ticks all the boxes for me....

Brian where did you get the pictures from, they're more up to date than the ones I have.

Cheers,

Adrian
    Last edited by Adrian Valley; 12-05-2013 at 06:32 PM.

Default Re: Francois Vivier Creizic, sail and oar 15' lightweight construction 110kg

Reminds me of the Selway-Fisher Stornoway. Vivier has a real flair for beautiful designs.

Reminds me more of a fuller version of Phoenix 111, yup he can certainly draw a good boat!

Looks quite promising. Got any specs? LOA, LWL, beam, displacement, etc?

Some information here James, if you can read French:

Longueur de coque 4.6m
    Longueur flottaison 4.34
    Largeur hors bordé 1.6m
    Largeur flottaison 1.32m
    Tirant d'eau dérive haute 0.16m
    Tirant d'eau dérive basse 0.89m
    Creux sous sole 0.55m
    Déplacement eau de mer 400kg
    Coefficient prismatique 0.575
    Espacement des lignes d'eau 50/100 mm
    Espacement des longitudinales 150mm
    Espacement des couples 300mm

This stuff and more including the lines is in the original design proposal in Chasse-marree:
    http://www.chasse-maree.com/images/s...er/CREIZIC.pdf

James, you will notice that it started as a Lug Yawl.........

Cheers,

Adrian
    Last edited by Adrian Valley; 12-06-2013 at 01:19 AM.

From a posting on Francois Vivier's Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/francois.vi...ref=ts&fref=ts

Brian

Looks groovy. I was also reminded a bit of Ross Lillistone's Phoenix III, probably the general layout of the interior and the rig more than anything else.

Hard to tell from a quick look, but it seems the mast might not store inside the boat if that's an issue for anyone. If not, I'd be curious to know if it can be dropped and set inside the cockpit in such a way that you can still row from the forward station.

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 12-06-2013 at 06:48 AM.
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.

Nice!

But for boats with balanced lugs it can be better to dont have a foredeck since stowing the sail-boom bundle is easyer
    Ragnar B.

If you click on the chasse-mare link above one of the drawings shows the mast stowed to the side when rowing and the yawl rig version.

Brian
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 12-06-2013 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Valley View Post
    Reminds me more of a fuller version of Phoenix 111 [sic], yup he can certainly draw a good boat!
    If Lillistone's glued-lap Phoenix III and the stitch-and-glue First Mate had a daughter, she would look like the Vivier Creizig. I wonder if one could avoid having to tape each and every one of those chines. Could one spot weld with bog, pull the stitches, add nice strong fillets reinforced with MGF or lighter cotton fibers, and then just glass her inside and out?
    Last edited by capefox; 12-06-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by capefox View Post
    If Lillistone's glued-lap Phoenix III and the stitch-and-glue First Mate had a daughter, she would look like the Vivier Creizig. I wonder if one could avoid having to tape each and every one of those chines. Could one spot weld with bog, pull the stitches, add nice strong fillets reinforced with MGF or lighter cotton fibers, and then just glass her inside and out?
    I was thinking along the same lines. Taping that many seems would not be an enjoyable experience. Seems it would be a lot easier your way.

I want to dig around and see how people built the Stornoway - a multi-chine design with a lot of panels.

This is giving me all sorts of ideas of what to do with the old hot molded I-14 hull in the rafters of my wood shed. Lines from an Uffa Fox design. Dimensions are similar.

Those thole pins and their blocks (pardon me for not knowing their proper name) will be a literal pain in the ass when hiking out. Flush mounted sockets and taller than normal locks are the way to go.

I like the high aspect standing lug rig. Still not sure about whether to go with a mizzen (or jigger, as my father used to call it) or not.

Also needs flotation on either side amidships. As drawn she will be very unstable when flooded, as in after a capsize. It's one thing to have to drop the sail after a capsize, it's a real pain to have to unstep the mast.

Allan
    And the Binnacle-bats wore water-proof hats
    As they danced in the sounding sea.

Capefox,

That is the way that CLC build their Sassafrass Canoes, except they use lapstitch construction at the joints.

Anyone know what happened with this new design. No sign of it on Vivier's website?

Brian

I posted on Mr Vivier's Facebook page if there was any news and the news is good. The first boat will be launched soon.

Brian

Interior

Mast raising arrangement

http://www.francois.vivier.info/albu...zic/index.html

Ed

Apparently this was a design project for a contest in France. Not sure how he did.

But it is a very nice boat, optimized for two. Love the simplicity of the mast partner...the centerboard trunk with notches for bungee...adjustable foot rest, all cool features.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Pretty boat,but looks like it needs another person forward to keep the bow in the water.I can't say the bungee excites me-it seems clumsy and could be replaced by one of these;

Cheap,easy to adjust.lightweight and apparently unknown in much of the world.

He's sat too far back, as a lot of people do. He needs to be positioned over the theoretical longitudinal centre of buoyancy, which for a sail and oar boat is naturally further forward than say a planing type. The narrow WL and wetted area and low weight makes sail and oar boats less tolerant of poor position. Its a first launch pictures session so it doesn't matter, but fundamentally more broadly in general there is no point carefully designing then building a boat to a perfect theory and then distorting the waterlines, centre of buoyancy position or ability to turn etc by sitting in the wrong place at the wrong speed and distorting all the good work.

On a sail and oar boat its quite significant whether its two man or one man as to thwart positions thus, so that weight is correctly distributed with respect to the lcb and might mean adjustable thwart position if its to cover both. One person sat to far forward on a two man boat will find the skeg less submersed and it won't track etc for example without supplementary trim ballast or a more central thwart. All has to to be factored in by the designers as to its projected specific user(s) and still make it ergonomically work with regard to oarlock beams, thwart heights, sail and tiller controls etc.
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 10-02-2014 at 03:49 PM.

On creizic, its noticeable if you look inside that structurally she has no internal keelson. I don't know how much outer keel is stuck on, but apart from materials cost this also would save time with that ply plank bottom only. No internal floors or floorboards, clearly structurally its not needed. Vivier knows his structural engineering more than anyone. Bethwaite found a chined hull faster than a lapped one. She would be a good one for commercial building in grp with no laps maybe: though likely heavier and less stiff.

Absolutely LOVE the adjustable foot rests mounted on the CB case! I wonder what the notches in the CB case top are for? To loosely hold the CB in various positions, I guess -- never seen anything like it.

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Pretty boat,but looks like it needs another person forward to keep the bow in the water.I can't say the bungee excites me-it seems clumsy and could be replaced by one of these;

Certainly unknown in this one horse New Hampshire hill town. Would you care to explain to us ignorant colonials how this device works (we can see that it's a bit of heater hose, two woodscrews and and a bit of metal plate).

Allan
    And the Binnacle-bats wore water-proof hats
    As they danced in the sounding sea.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post

Looks pretty much like a hack job! I know how its used to hold the CB inside the case...the hose presses inside the trunk against the sides with friction. I'll take the bungee.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Absolutely LOVE the adjustable foot rests mounted on the CB case! I wonder what the notches in the CB case top are for? To loosely hold the CB in various positions, I guess -- never seen anything like it.

I think you are right about the notches. The corners could use a round-over before they splinter off. My best guess on the "internal" notch is that is captures the CB pin.

What's up with the back-to-back knots on the oars?
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Those sticks with the spike knots in the top of that picture are oar shafts?!? <horrified shock!>

Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post

Ed
    Yes
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Magnificent

Just about every centreboard dinghy in the UK has the same centreboard brake fitted. Using a long screwdriver, one simply tightens the screws slightly to increase the brake force or ease the screws to make it looser. Although it might seems a bit basic and crude, it must be a case of simple works and keeps working and no one has come up with a better solution for such little cost.

just about every dinghy chandler sells them.
    http://www.sailboats.co.uk/centreboard-brake

Easy to make using a bit of brass keel strip with two holes drilled, two screws and a short length of car radiator hose. Quite fun seeing the reaction at the local car parts shop when you request 3" of the correct width radiator hose!

The pictures with the helm sat too far back did my head in. There is even a tiller extension already fitted. Probably a very fist sail with the new owner very excited just to be out in her.

The he oars look interesting. Very long narrow blade. http://www.francois.vivier.info/albu...2014-08-21.JPG See how nicely she is sitting on her lines when the weight is in the correct place.

Brian
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 10-03-2014 at 12:56 AM.

Very well executed as per usual. Glad to see some real knots in some of that timber.Owner looks happy.

We had some oars similar to this on the Teifi skiff we had. They were very light, relatively narrow (easy) square section looms and the blade was a laminated thin plywood in a spoon blade shape. Maybe crude compared to a more typical affair, but they looked very easy to make and they were very good in practice. I think in the sections oars are, hollow square looms might be easier to fabricate too if going the full monty. Uses material efficiently like the rest of the boat and the blade section I thought was easily replaced or changed for a different size if you wanted to change the blade gearing. They like the pins through a hole in Brittany so the oars can be left in place or don't pop out if it rolls on the pull - plenty of inshore lobstering and Atlantic swell. Bare boat must be very light and must be very quick to build if you had finger joint cnc panels to just stitch n tape.
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 10-03-2014 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post

We had some oars similar to this on the Teifi skiff we had. They were very light, relatively narrow (easy) square section looms and the blade was a laminated thin plywood in a spoon blade shape. Maybe crude compared to a more typical affair, but they looked very easy to make and they were very good in practice. I think in the sections oars are, hollow square looms might be easier to fabricate too if going the full monty. Uses material efficiently like the rest of the boat and the blade section I thought was easily replaced or changed for a different size if you wanted to change the blade gearing. They like the pins through a hole in Brittany so the oars can be left in place or don't pop out if it rolls on the pull - plenty of inshore lobstering and Atlantic swell. Bare boat must be very light and must be very quick to build if you had finger joint cnc panels to just stitch n tape.
    Sorta the Greenland Kayak Paddle of the Sail & Oar world, eh? Interesting.

I'm still unclear on how the rubber-baby-centerboard-brake thingie works, however. How do you remove it if the CB gets jammed with gravel or weeds?
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Just a comment about the lightweight idea. My Oughtred Whilly Tern, at the same length, is 75kg for the hull with CB and fittings. The rig, rudder and bits MIGHT be 35kg, but I doubt it. So what is lightweight about this design?... Not to run it down, I really admire FV's work. just... It might be a bit lighter than some of his other designs, as they are usually very robustly built.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton B Chase View Post
    Looks pretty much like a hack job! I know how its used to hold the CB inside the case...the hose presses inside the trunk against the sides with friction. I'll take the bungee.
    I might be the only the only person wondering why you would make such a choice and would welcome a more extensive explanation.As Brian explains they are pretty much ubiquitous here and they work well.Certainly up to the sort of speed that this boat is doing http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/pho...yandy70652.jpg .