Thread: Paul Gartside / Watercraft plans

Default Paul Gartside / Watercraft plans

Hi all,
    I have a question regarding the Gartside plans that appear in Watercraft magazine.

I don't want to bother the esteem-able gentleman with a question so uncouth, so I thought I'd see if anyone here knew the answer to my query, to potentially not look like a cheapskate who doesn't appreciate the work of others - which really isn't the case. I genuinely just don't wanna bother him with trivialities. So.

Does anyone know whether there is a substantive difference between plans bought from Gartside direct (Via his shopify page), and the published plans in Watercraft, beyond the fact that the Gartside plans will likely be 36" x 24", and the Watercraft plans are shrunk to a standard letter size? They're readable, I'd guess enlargeable, and just fine to loft from....so...

Furthermore, Watercraft advertises digital downloads of Gartside plans at significantly less cost than paper plans (lets say I wanted to get and print myself)- does this offer expire a certain time after publishing, or do you just let him know?

Cheers for any info!

P.s. I know the cost difference is minimal, and I should just buy the paper big ones anyway, and that the % cost of Plans V Boat makes this a quibble....but I I have a curious mind!

Default Re: Paul Gartside / Watercraft plans

Get a yearly digital subscription to Watercraft, you will have access to all back issues with no time limits. Pages can be enlarged/ zoomed and printed. Plans are free to use, though im sure many will buy the full size plans from Paul.

I have the particular issue of Watercraft I'm interested in already, so I have a hard-copy of the sheets. I can also quickly do a high-res scan and enlarge if I need to at my workplace, though I'll need to ship out for an enlargement if needed.

I guess one thing I'm wondering is whether it'd be advisable to toss in for full plans so the "Drawn full size"/"Drawn half size" stuff is as accurate as possible?

Paul is quick to reply to queries like yours and prefers to clear up misunderstandings.
    "When I was a boy with never a crack in my heart."

-W. B. Yeats

The plans we've bought from Paul (Flashboat and his 16ft sail and oar boat) are basically the same style/ quantity as printed in Watercraft: 5/6 sheets or so. I got mine digitally from Paul, comes in an email same day. You can download them to file, I think its upto 5 times, but you should only really need to do so once. Then you can obviously get them printed full size on paper from a memory stick. Most of his boats you have to loft up, only a very few I think have full size mold patterns, so essentially if you can blow up or read the watercraft pages, then your reading the same numbers/ looking at what you will download. The free bigger projects I'd buy from him, as its a relatively small cost overall and I'd see it as polite if I was to need to ask him any questions. Arguably possibly the greatest living yacht designer currently looking at his ability to draw uniformally great looking boats in every different construction method, from tenders, dinghies, yachts and motorboats. He won't glue a boat though, or at least likes to show a non glued method of construction. Cornish genes come thorough most of his work. Similar to Gardner's book, beyond the design, the series is a small tutorial in boat building as each one looks at a specific point.

Oh, I tend to agree with you both, and a previous question was answered promptly and with great tact and honesty.

I would intend to buy the plans from him anyway I do think, as I'll definitely find myself stuck along the way and want to ask questions - and I think it'd be polite. I guess I just didn't want to do that while also asking "are these any different to those ones" of the good man?

Thanks for your feedback.

Just to add, usually Paul has a promotional offer on his site for *heavily* discounted purchase of the plans (electronic delivery only) for whatever is current in Watercraft.

For instance, the current offer:

http://www.gartsideboats.com/home/special-offer.html

Dave
    Sooty Tern Build Thread: Another Tern in the Works!
    Sooty Tern Blog: http://xflow7.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    He won't glue a boat though, or at least likes to show a non glued method of construction. Cornish genes come thorough most of his work. Similar to Gardner's book, beyond the design, the series is a small tutorial in boat building as each one looks at a specific point.
    If you mean he doesn't build epoxy-composite construction that isn't true. He built our boat that way, or at least he did in 2005. Maybe he's getting away from it as he becomes more focused on designing?

-W. B. Yeats

Yep, Paul is very quick to answer questions, even trivial ones. Google Exact Editions and see if you like what you see. I bought a year subscription, digital of course, of watercraft at a substantial discount and it is delivered promptly to my computer and got all of the years included in my subscription and not only that but got every single previous editions of said magazine and all of the plans that Mr. Gartside has contributed making that one of the best deals Ive ever gotten.
    I was born at a very young age. As I grew up, I got older.

That's a great offer. Around 80% discount!

Quote Originally Posted by xflow7 View Post
    Just to add, usually Paul has a promotional offer on his site for *heavily* discounted purchase of the plans (electronic delivery only) for whatever is current in Watercraft.

For instance, the current offer:

http://www.gartsideboats.com/home/special-offer.html

Dave

I've got a half dozen Gartside study plans. I bought them digital download and took them to OfficeMax and had them sized up to 24"x36". I've had email correspondence and snail mail correspondence and have always been surprised with the positive response I've gotten with one of the designing greats. All responses have been prompt, courteous, helpful, and in my case, supportive.

One order came wrong and was fixed within a 24 hours of an email.

I first bought Watercraft extraeditions, when I considered the 6m lugger design. The plans in the magazine is good as study plans and I guess you will be able to build from them, but the resolution is not in full size. I bought the full size digital version from Gartside, and it is easyer to read from and there is some full scale pattenrs for t.ex stem profile. Gartside also gave me a good offer, and he respond wery quickly. The lines plan is in scale 1/10 and I am using it to make a scale model of the boat before I start the real build.

Fred

Off topic, but today a couple stopped for fuel at the petrol station where I work. They were towing a boat which was wrapped in plastic- I had to ask A ten foot (or was in ten and a half) Gartside boat, huon pine, lug rigged. The couple had driven from Brisbane to Hobart to collect it and were on their way home. A round trip of around three thousand miles. OK- carry on gentlemen JayInOz

Yep, that'll be her -- 10'-0" long and 4'-2" beam. Built by Andrew Denman at Kettering. More photos here.

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

You can talk to Mr. Gartside, at least that's what the late William Garden told me once when I was talking to him by telephone.
    basil

Interesting in the next edition of Watercraft May/ June 2016, Paul has a 24ft 'trailerable houseboat' design. Good for your ICW?

His designs and plans are great but it takes a Jim Ledger type skill to build them.

Reading the article in this months Watercraft, the one above is very do-able, being single chine 12mm plywood on sawn frames.

Looks lovely.
    Might be ok with a 25hp high thrust outboard?
    Also the rear deck is rather small. If I were building then moving the saloon back would give a larger pilothouse. It would work in cooler climates like here in UK.
    Makes you want to start estimating number of plywood sheets!
    Cheers James

Been thinking a lot about his latest design in watercraft the 24' houseboat. Any reason why it could not be built with outboard power say 20-25hp. Outboard would only cost as much as the rudder shoe and p braket conbined!
    Would also mean the deadwood could be reduced somewhat in size?
    Just a thought.
    Would love to build it with some unemployed lads. Neets as they are called here. Not in education employment or training.
    James

Next months Watercraft: a 30ft 4ton double ended Schooner!

Paul has built a pair of 'childs rowboats' to the plans he published in Watercraft for his family.

Beautifull.

They're 8ft long. Designed specifically for children 5-10 years.

http://store.gartsideboats.com/colle...oat-design-211

https://www.facebook.com/gartsideboats/
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 09-07-2016 at 05:13 AM.

Next Watercraft...17 ft Lug Yawl 5'4" beam by the looks of it, so sail and oar, though he has drawn an outboard well. Decked with a transom. One for close perusal...cut away keel aft to help launching.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    Next Watercraft...17 ft Lug Yawl 5'4" beam by the looks of it, so sail and oar, though he has drawn an outboard well. Decked with a transom. One for close perusal...cut away keel aft to help launching.
    Building method?

The mag's not out untill 22 June, so I can't say exactly, but it's glued construction by the looks of it.
    http://watercraft-magazine.com/

Does anyone have an idea what Paul charges for a custom design? Say on a 17ft sail and oar type boat? Anybody asked?

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

The mag's not out untill 22 June, so I can't say exactly, but it's glued construction by the looks of it.

Does anyone have an idea what Paul charges for a custom design? Say on a 17ft sail and oar type boat? Anybody asked?
    I'm sure he'll tell you! A group of us here on the Forum had him draw plans for Sjogin. I think were 12 of us @$75 apiece. That could give you a ballpark figure.
    Steve B
    TraditionalSmallCraftAssociation
    DowneastTSCA.org

TraditionalSmallCraft.com
    RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

About 12 months ago he quoted me 2 1/2 k for a 30ft. Gaffer. Not much help i know but maybe 1200 ?? At a guess.

Thanks for those numbers...

Looking at the 17ft'er it's strip and glass.

Beam is 6'4" so a full on sail boat.

https://store.gartsideboats.com/coll...ser-desing-226

One for Dan...

Building a Gartside #175: Shelburne Picnic Dory...in Shelburne.

Something old....something new...

Sequence:

http://www.shelburnemuseums.com/picnic-dory-pics

Building a Gartside #175: Shelburne Picnic Dory...in Shelburne.
    Interestingly, a client of Paul's built that design FOR Paul and gave it to him as a gift for his children.

-W. B. Yeats