Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paul Gartside / Watercraft plans

Default Re: Paul Gartside / Watercraft plans

Anyone in the UK looking to buy the second book..Plans and Dreams Vol2, will have seen P&P is alot on Paul's site. It can be bought from Dalton Young booksellers in the UK. Mine came next day well packaged...

http://www.daltonyoung.co.uk/PBSCPro...ItmID=15742591

You get a discount code for any of his plans in the book too.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    I have the plans to "basher" His 16' Gaff Sloop that kicked off the plans in Watercraft. I have found Paul to be very open to questions, comments, and even changes to his plans. When I asked about turning Basher into a yawl, he was not the least bit offended and even seemed curious. I hope to begin construction next year.

His book "Plans and dreams" is worth getting

Attachment 9744
    I agree. We have one of the sailboats he designed and built. When I mentioned that we'd like a larger rig he sent plains for one right back (which he'd designed for another owner).

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    I have the plans to "basher" His 16' Gaff Sloop that kicked off the plans in Watercraft. I have found Paul to be very open to questions, comments, and even changes to his plans. When I asked about turning Basher into a yawl, he was not the least bit offended and even seemed curious. I hope to begin construction next year.

His book "Plans and dreams" is worth getting

Attachment 9744
    And he is honest to :-) When I asked turning Bashers new version Ditch Witch, to a yawl, he just could not understand how it would make life easyer :-)

Fred

In next months Watercraft...

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    In next months Watercraft...

Doh!

Peace,
    Rigoberto

Oh, that's nice. She even has the proper number of pointy ends. And 16' with an inboard? That's the sort of internal ballast I like. Ok, now I'm off to spend the morning day dreaming....
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Francois Vivier has a design based on the same lineage: Gabian.
    Remarkably similar in profile, but a clinker ply trailer sailer. 80% of the beam, 65% of the displacement, 160kg water ballast and of course fully CNC ready, whereas Gartside's is old school pen and paper.

Should make for a great comparison.

For those of us that also follow the facebookgroup "wooden boat forum" we have a member sharing a lot of videos of a boat with a similar rig. What is the origin of these boats?

https://www.facebook.com/nenad.bokov...epa=SEARCH_BOX

Quote Originally Posted by MoritzSchwarzer View Post
    Francois Vivier has a design based on the same lineage: Gabian.
    Remarkably similar in profile, but a clinker ply trailer sailer. 80% of the beam, 65% of the displacement, 160kg water ballast and of course fully CNC ready, whereas Gartside's is old school pen and paper.

Should make for a great comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    For those of us that also follow the facebookgroup "wooden boat forum" we have a member sharing a lot of videos of a boat with a similar rig. What is the origin of these boats?

https://www.facebook.com/nenad.bokov...epa=SEARCH_BOX
    Gozo is a term for small boat all round the Adriatic, Italian coast and Malta. The lateen rig does back two milennia at least
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Mediterranean Feluccas...inshore double ended fishing boats eastern med especially Greece. Some were built in San Francisco when migrants left for the USA. The 'Gozzo's/ Gozzi are Italian ones.

Thread

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...74214-Feluccas

Will look like this, just a bit smaller (it will fit in a garage a bit easier!)

Sub zero on the WBF 'cool wall'.

The Gartside one is shown cold molded or carvel.

A guy here knows the names of the different ones in different regions...

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/gozzo-boats.35772/
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 06-04-2019 at 05:24 AM.

I can't believe our own WoodenBoat missed out on this opportunity. They have nothing approaching the quality of these designs in the magazine. It is a serious deficiency. Gartside is the best living designer of wooden boats in my opinion, and this is exactly the type of content I want in a magazine. Perhaps I should divert my subscription to Watercraft.

I did not renew my subscription this year, but for what you get for little money, is well worth it, certainly with the Gartside plan content itself. I still have the plans for the Spitfire pram dinghy hanging in the workshop.....im waiting for a long winter when i know i will have time......

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    I can't believe our own WoodenBoat missed out on this opportunity. They have nothing approaching the quality of these designs in the magazine. It is a serious deficiency. Gartside is the best living designer of wooden boats in my opinion, and this is exactly the type of content I want in a magazine. Perhaps I should divert my subscription to Watercraft.
    I'm subscribed to both, and I find they do compliment each other quite well. The SketchBook obviously has a different level of completness and a different, more contemporary design sense, but it's nothing to sneeze at. And Paul Gartside and Pete Greenfield go back ways, if I recall correctly, so it's not something you can lay at WBs feet.