Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: My Rhoubo bench project

Default My Rhoubo bench project

oops on the spelling.. ROUBO

I realized I was posting pics of the actual project on other threads I have on the forum. I'll bring the photos over this thread so it's not scattered (like my shop)

Anyway... this is the split top halves sitting on saw horses. Clamp holding the tailvise up for now. the slot is a tool holder bench stop. that can flip and be flush with the top if desired. Still not sure I like it. I know for a fact though.. the split top halves are heavy enough separately. Can't even think of the weight if they were "one" Omph!

Still need to build the legs and leg vise for the bench. I'm torn about height.. high for working with bad eyes and long legs.. Low for short legs and good eyes.. I have short legs and bad eyes LOL

Over all size is about 6'6" x 24 without insert about 27 wide with it in place. Not sure about the ends, don't think I want to cap em with a bread board edge. I do have a fear of all that beech exploding one day... but it was free and fairly dry. As the sections are 12" wide, I can easily through bolt if it tries to self destruct. It is a work table! Yes I have remind myself of that too!

So. I'll be working on redoing the shop set up for furniture, turning, and small projects and house projects instead of small boats.

Last edited by DeniseO30; 11-27-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: oops
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Default Re: My Rhoubo bench project

Very nice. I've got to build a couple of workbenches soon. They're not going to look as cool as that one.

Is that a lathe I see in the background?
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Denise, the top looks great! I'm just giddy to see a thread formed on this build of yours!

May I ask: Was there any planning involved in this; or did you just inherit a bunch of beech and start gluing it up and then, next thing you knew, a bench begged itself into the form before you?

BTW, am I wrong that beech is not as unusual to come by as I previously thought?

Interesting.

I like Chris Schwarz's Roubo workbench. Your split top variation is interesting.

Schawarz would undoubtedly approve as he believes one's workbench should fit one's needs.

Deja Moo: The feeling that you have heard this bull before.

Seanz Thank you! yes, Lathe, jointer, bandsaw, planer, table saw. etc. Stuff was sitting for a few years after my son left. I finally got back my interest in woodworking again, but had to give up boat building.

Thanks Kelso! The beech was free from a friend's friend and they are retired from the RR. I think this wood was from Heavy duty pallets and also used for cribbing. there was some ash and white oak in there too. More of it may be coming my way too.. (not so sure I want more beech LOL)

Tom thanks! Yes there many many variations of it out there.

The bench is something I've always wanted, especially the Scandinavian type but who is going to buy one? not me! Since there so many variations of the theme out there on the web I went for it. didn't buy a plan but it's not rocket science either. Love the tail vise! Lesson learned, don't use square timbers, use boards. something like 1.5 X 3 or 4 inches. I had to go with random length since so much of it was badly split, checked and twisted. 3 table saw rip blades (cheap) 2, 4 tpi band saw blades, 2 sets of planer blades, 3 sharpenings of the jointer blades, so free isn't really, all that free.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Lovely work, Ms. D.! May I ask, did you build from a specific set of plans? I've been thinking of starting a project like this.
    "Simplicity, Clarisse! First principles..."

I guess, more pointedly, Denise, I'm curious as to what you -generally- hope to accomplish with this bench. Have you sized it according to historical data or for your own use?

Just read post #5! this internets thing is really fast!

Here are the links to my other threads.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Beech-it-s-a

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...tails-botched!

No plans, just a sketch. I studied the many types of benches, really loved "bench crafters" builds, watched a few dozen you tube bench builders.. even saw the historical photos on a web site. Took my trusty 1/4" square lines note book and came up with my own "version" As mentioned above, in my 1st post, the use will be for smaller projects, around the house projects, woodworking items for my sailboat, don't think I'll be going back to boat building. Size was my own choice. 24" ish by 6 ft ish. I do like the split top idea.

This gent's bench was inspiring to me. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CEIQ9QEwAw
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 11-27-2013 at 09:53 PM.

to solve the height issue, build a 'flip-up' cleat under the top. A pair of cross supports hinged together that is pegged into the underside of the top. This would require the top not be mechanically fastened to the legs, of course.

The support might be 3"; lift one end of the top, flip down the hinged support, and lower the top onto the lower support brace.

I've seen versions that have the height adjustment at the feet, but that means you need to lift more weight to change height.
    Hey! It's MY Hughniverse!

Quote Originally Posted by Hughman View Post
    to solve the height issue, build a 'flip-up' cleat under the top. A pair of cross supports hinged together that is pegged into the underside of the top. This would require the top not be mechanically fastened to the legs, of course.

The support might be 3"; lift one end of the top, flip down the hinged support, and lower the top onto the lower support brace.

I've seen versions that have the height adjustment at the feet, but that means you need to lift more weight to change height.
    I like that Idea Hugh! thank you! I saw the one with a complex lift mechanism but .. eh.. too much hardware.

Photos of the tail vise build.. it was difficult. wood and steel..

Works well too!

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    I like that Idea Hugh! thank you! I saw the one with a complex lift mechanism but .. eh.. too much hardware.
    Oh, a detail...hinge the left and right supports opposite each other....prevents a push on the top from rolling both supports over.
    Hey! It's MY Hughniverse!

Tommy Mac ("rough cut" woodworking show on pbs) uses a particle board mini bench he clamps to the bench top for more height. It's not a big issue, but with it on the lower saw horses the tops are about 32" from the floor and it actually feels very comfortable for me. My old bench was made even with the table saw top. something like 35" (too high)

update. I love the tail vise! I'm using the vise and bench top while it's sitting on the saw horses. I'm making the base. Using Lowe's "premium" lumber. Basically it's the center boards of "white fir" the pith is still there in some of the boards. 2 X 8 legs in 3 layers after planing I'll have 7 X 4 for the legs. More photos soon!

My first thought was to congratulate you on the cleaniness and beauty of your work! It is really well done and a pleasure just to look at. Every craftsman has their own likes for bench height. My own is 35 & 3/4". Every flat surface in my shop is set to that height with the exception of the drill press and band saw. I am just under six feet in height and the setting of bench height has been a process of trial and error over the years. I wedged, raised and lowered surface heights until I found what worked for me.
    If you have concern about delamination of the bench ends, you might consider through bolting them using a buried nut and a large plug over them. One end needs only to be a washer with the rod peened over. Large plugs can be made using a lathe or drill press. In addition to insuring the integrity of the lamination, the plugs add visual interest to the structure. My own bench sits on a heavy frame made of 4x4 posts that are mortised and lagged into the top. In your case I see only one side set in that manner if you intend to continue with the split center. Nice job!
    Jay

Thank you Jay! I'm 5'6" and my old bench was just too high. As I'm working at 32" with the tops on saw horses I'm finding that is a comfortable height for me. Just the weight of the tops without being secure has already made surface planing boards easier! I'm not keen of mortising through the bench top. Will just use lags and metal or counter bored holes with screws to hold the tops to the new base. Gluing up the 4th leg later today. Heavy looking but "light" since it's fir instead of hardwoods. Leg vise will be ash or white oak.

underside of the tail vise. the "bolt" is all that needs to be taken out to remove that whole massive thing off the slide
    plate

Last edited by DeniseO30; 12-02-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Couple of the legs... making em pretty 3/8" round nose bit center, then center of each side. Thinking of a 45 degree chamfer on each corner.

More;

Thinking of maybe cutting a shallow arch in bottom of all the stringers. Maybe even the leg bottoms so there's not a whole 4X7 Leg end wicking moisture from the floor. To keep it all tight and "portable" 3/8 all thread rod will be imbedded in the side stringers that may or may not have a shallow mortise and tenon. Left front leg doesn't have grooves but the leg vise will carry the theme on it's front. Tops of legs and bottom of the table slabs, I may use a "block" tenon. make a plywood jig to rout 2 X 5 mortises in the leg tops and table bottom. I don't want to go through the table top with mortises even though the traditional benches use them.
    So... it's coming along!

I did not use through mortices on my own bench. I only went a third of the thickness of the top and then used a lag down the center with a plug in the hole.
    The plugs are not glued which allows them to be easily removed in order to separate the top if needed. I did build storage drawers into the frame and store my chisels and block planes in them. The added weight helps to make the bench more solid.
    You are doing a great job!
    Jay

Thanks again Jay.. just plugging along with it. Friend helping me replace a window tomorrow. Will be back on the bench project later in the week. OMG .. the tailvise is incredible! We used it to push the legs onto the stringer. they are so heavy it was hard with a hammer and block of wood so we just used the dogs and blocks of wood to protect the softwood of the legs and chirp, chirp, squeak, little by little the board did slide all the way in and out the other side.

Legs up!

She's on her feet! err legs. ready for woodworking! Now the real project looms, re-doing the whole basement into my wood working "environment"

that's my trusty old record vise laying on the stringer, not sure about mounting it for use until I make the leg vise.

Still a few things to do on the legs. Plug the bolt rod holes, stain? the legs, leg vise, sliding deadman, and not sure about shelf, it will just get full of shavings and dust. ROCK SOLID! Angle iron is holding the legs to the tops. I just could not get into big mortises. This way I can always re-purpose the tops into a dining room table! More dog holes coming soon!

Talk to me about the reasoning behind the split top?

Nice work, BTW-
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Thanks Gerard!
    Each "slab" is lighter then the 2 as 1. Also, they fit through a standard thickness planer. The tool holder spacer can flip and be flush or bench dog height as a middle of the bench stop. I think one of the traditional builds was split top also. For me take apart or reassemble was my main reason.

amazing work Denise....mindboggling...my guess is:you're a highly trained woodworker...either that, or you were blessed with a nsurplus of talent....
    ...thanx for introducing me to your site/thread.
    KEEP UP THE SUPERB WORK!!!!
    martin

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    leg vice

I would be interested to see how you do this, Denise, as I have one to mount in the near future. I seem to recall that Lefty had an innovative way of installing a leg vice 6 months or so ago (but time flies and it could have been longer), hopefully he is reading this and can chime in, it would save me from having to search for it....
    Steve Martinsen

There are dozens of leg vise innovations on youtube Steve. all because it's too much trouble to move the pin on the lower pivot? other then being wood it's just a bench screw through a leg and a long heavy board.

This guy Jord .. I like his work.

Quote Originally Posted by olecaplinface View Post
    amazing work Denise....mindboggling...my guess is:you're a highly trained woodworker...either that, or you were blessed with a nsurplus of talent....
    ...thanx for introducing me to your site/thread.
    KEEP UP THE SUPERB WORK!!!!
    martin
    I've been in the trades all my life Martin. I've self taught myself most everything in wood working. Thanks for the compliment!

My special gift is being able to "see" something before it's built, made or installed.

Everything now takes longer and longer to do.. with running the house ,, not having energy, being retired and trying to make ends meet by having housemates it's all wearing me down.

...LOL...sounds like a good time for some R&R Denise, where the sands are white (and not with snow..lol).....maybe just kick back for awhile and do absolutely zilch...
    ...sorry to hear that things are a lil rough but <<<<<<sure can relate.
    Been in here looking at your latest project again and that certainly "is" a 'piece of work"!!!.. geepers,I could never see myself ever putting' that much' into a work bench...lolo...I'm a wood and stonecarver and I don't even use a vice !!!! I just hold the chunk of wood in my lap and hack away.....Darn,..I'm pretty lax & lazy when it comes to proper devices to hold my work in place<<<<beginnin' to feel more prehistoric by the minute...lol
    ...some say I possess such a gift also....I guess we'll see...

..you're doin' just fine Denise...

(Point to Ponder)....'I once felt bad 'cause I had no boots.....then I met a man with no feet..'

as always, martin

Hi, Denise; Beautiful work! I see you've been looking into Jord's website/ You Tube vids. I watched the whole series just a few nights ago.
    Regards, Wes

Thanks Martin, Wes! Yes. some people really get into those bench builds! I'm taking it easy now. things to do .. even baking cookies, wrapping gifts for the grand kids. "normal" stuff for an old broad LOL.
    happy Holidays!

YW Denise....Happy Holidays to you and yours too.Really like the job you're doing on your bench.Keep up the wonderful work!
    Things are pretty hectic here too....mad dash to the finish line right now....lol
    ...chat with ya soon..

Thanks Martin. I'm not doing anything with the project until after the holidays. I'm just now thinking what to use for the leg vise. I have one board of ash left, a couple of maple, one of cherry. and 2 of butternut. Guess I could do a lamination too.

Happy Holidays to you !

Beautiful work! I think a project like that could occupy a winter for me.
    Thanks for sharing.
    PaulF