Thread: Restoring Helena

Default Restoring Helena

Helena is a 100 year old 45' Lawley built cruiser., power not sail. I sold it in 1985 after about ten years of owning and cruising in it. Then I bought it back last year and have begun the restoration work. I alternate between enthusiasm in laminating in new oak frames and looking for the box of matches to end my pain. I'll try to post some photos

Default Re: Restoring Helena

I'll be looking forward to the pictures. A lot of cruising on the Great South Bay? I've never restored anything that big, but I feel your pain. Restoration can be tedious and full of unwanted surprises.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by shellback View Post
    Helena is a 100 year old 45' Lawley built cruiser., power not sail. I sold it in 1985 after about ten years of owning and cruising in it. Then I bought it back last year and have begun the restoration work. I alternate between enthusiasm in laminating in new oak frames and looking for the box of matches to end my pain. I'll try to post some photos
    It sounds like there's a lot more to the story than you've been able to fit into two lines here......what inspired you to buy her back??? I'm looking forward to seeing the photos.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

You, Sir, are a nasty tease. For the love of God get some pictures posted...and walk away from the matches. Be patient with her and lean on us for motivation, or at least encouragement to drink your pain away. You can do it...

I keep a pack of strike anywhere matches on the boat.. just in case!

Looking forward to this thread!

S
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

You're not helping Scott. I can't allow him to burn it before I've seen enough pictures!

I will have some photos to post as soon as I get to my daughter's house where she can help me. I still have challenges with computer stuff. I have replaced 20 of the 80 or so rotted / broken frames with laminated white oak glued up with G-flex. More to the history to come.

Ah--a fellow oak/G-Flex man. Welcome!
    Last edited by chuckt; 12-15-2013 at 06:18 PM.
    Chuck Thompson

Still hoping for pictures!

Default Photos of the Helena project

It's taken a while to get photos together, and I've found that it's easier to post them on my website.

I owned Helena in the late 70s to mid-80s. We cruised parts of New England, Hudson River, Great Lakes, and Canada during several wonderful summers.
    I sold it for a song to someone here on Long Island. He had great intentions, poor repair techniques, and never launched the boat.
    I bought it back because of my emotional attachment to it, and knew it needed another home and a proper restoration.
    It was designed and built by George Lawley in the South Boston yard in 1913.
    There is an unsubstantiated story that it was originally built for Harold Wesson of Smith & Wesson firearms. It's been repowered several times (original a Sterling engine) but it's never had a name change.

Particulars are: 46' x 9' x 2'9", steamed white oak frames, long-leaf yellow pine planking, copper rivets

I have several copies of the original prints from the MIT Hart Museum Collection- it was probably built without the cabin top, more like an open launch.
    Check the link below for some photos and brief descriptions of the ongoing restoration that will include frames, butt blocks, floors, engine beds, and probably more.
    I'd like to install an electric power plant similar to what was described in a recent Wooden Boat Magazine issue.
    I'll post more photos as the work continues.

http://northernlightboatworks.com/helena.html

Very interesting project.

I know it is a long way out, but do you plan to put an aft canopy over the back? Seems like that would make the aft cockpit area more livable.

Nice work on the sternpost!

S
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

I have thought about that. I would much prefer bronze pipe/tube frame but oh the cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogeniac View Post
    Very interesting project.

I know it is a long way out, but do you plan to put an aft canopy over the back? Seems like that would make the aft cockpit area more livable.

Nice work on the sternpost!

S

How are you scarfing the frames together? Looks like you are getting a nice fit. I've done some of the same thing and have used a Festool grinder to make the scarphs. But mine don't look as tight as yours.
    Chuck Thompson