Thread: Building Spira's Carolinian Dory

Default Building Spira's Carolinian Dory

First time boat builder. I just started on Sunday. 18'-1" Length & 6'-4" beam. I look forward to sharing my progress and hopefully getting direction when needed. I think I got the picture posting thing down so here goes.

Default Re: Building Spira's Carolinian Dory

Good luck on the build, i considered that boat but have decided to build a Tolman instead.

Pleas keep up with the pics!

Jerry

Eastern shore

I know youre probably following plans and I dont know what your plans are like but to me that appears to be a mighty rickety buildign jig - I much prefer a ladder type- how are you going to stabilize those frames from teeter tottering once you put any weight on them?

I'm in the process of building the same boat. Just recently flipped it and now finishing the inside. I used "jack stands" to stabilize the frame. See pic below.

Here it is a little further down the road. Hope to have it finished by the spring.

Good luck and have fun.

Doug

Raleigh, NC

Looks good doug!

I wondered the same thing. The plans say to tack the frames to the jig but that does not seam like it would stop much movement. I might add a another 2x8 on either side to stabalize it. The frame plans are kind of hard to get used to. It took me awhile to lay out thef irst couple because they don't give you the angles. I figured it out but it would just seem simpler to me to put the angles on the plans.

After the frames are built and attached to the keel, you'll probably have little need for the plans .... or even a tape measure. You'll find yourself using your eyeballs to make sure things just look "right". I took an afternoon to make a 1/12 scale model, which has really helped me visualize things.

These are the two options I'm looking at for the interior.

One tool you'll want to buy is a power planer. I bought a cheap Ryobi planer and it has worked great. Plan on using more epoxy, tape, cloth, fillers, etc .... than you expected. I've been getting my supplies from J-Greer. They seem to have the best prices and are pretty quick getting things to your door.

I've rebuilt my Dad's 1969 25HP Evinrude for power, .... but now that I've added a 3/4" ply floor, I think I may need more power. I've got my eye on a used 2008 40HP Honda (tiller).

Also, this forum has been a great help, and has given me lots of good ideas, although they can often be hard on newbies like us.

Good luck and have fun,

Doug

I forgot to respond about the angles. At first I thought the same thing, but if you layout all the frames on one piece of cheap luan plywood, just using the measurements, everything will work out quick and easy. The one place where you'll want to calculate the angle will be the transom. I think it was somewhere around 14 degrees ... ??? You'll also want to pick up one of those adjustable angle squares. It will help if you have a compound chop saw for the transom also. Since the transom is at ~14 degrees, make sure you make all the other cuts at the same angle so water will naturally shed, instead of pool.

See pic.

Also, clamps will come in handy.

This picture reminds me of another mistake I made. Before you attach the plywood, make sure you plane away the bottom chine log so water won't pool. This cost me lost of time ... and more epoxy.

Doug,
    I may be way off but I sent Jeff a question about the transom and he said they where all butt joints (one fulsh piece). Did you puposely change the design?

I found this thread via Google. Just wondering how your builds went and if you have more photos or video to share. I'd love to see this boat up on a plane to get a feel for how she rides, especially in a chop.

Jeff Spira