Thread: Looking for workshop in north central Vermont

Default Looking for workshop in north central Vermont

Hi,

Having recently retired to the Stowe/Morrisville area of Vermont, I plan to build a St. Lawrence Skiff and am looking for a workshop that would rent time and space. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    E. Fortin

Default Re: Looking for workshop in north central Vermont

Welcome to the Forum! Can't help you out with shop space, but can welcome you to the Vermont forumites. I'm just below Rutland, there's another guy over by Fairlee and another one, John Hartmann, just above rutland. He just returned from the Small Reach Regatta where he had a great time sailing the St. Lawrence Skiff that he built. You might want to PM him about his boat (strip built). What construction method are you going to use?
    If you have the room, buy a portable garage, put the car in there and use your real garage (if you have one) as a workshop.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Hi and welcome. I'm the guy in Fairlee that Rich mentioned. I am just embarking on my own build of an Oughtred boat.

Rich's suggestion is good to reallocate existing space if you have it. Have you already browsed through Craigslist? It's rather Burlington-centric, but there are a lot of listings for barn/warehouse space. However, most are listed for storage, so I'm not sure how many of the listers would be open to active work being conducted there. Also, I would imagine that a lot's going to depend on what facilities you require. Are you looking for an equipped shop, an unoccupied shop with light and power, or an empty void and you can bring a generator and/or portable lighting?

The other thing I'd suggest is to see if there is a community email listserv up that way. Down here there are some that get quite a lot of traffic and are frequently used to find exactly this sort of thing. I'd suggest asking around at your local library or something and see if they know of such a list that you could join.

Best,

Dave
    Sooty Tern Build Thread: Another Tern in the Works!
    Sooty Tern Blog: http://xflow7.wordpress.com

I Like how Rich said move the car out ! Erik NY/VT area

Quote Originally Posted by dragonwyck121 View Post
    I Like how Rich said move the car out ! Erik NY/VT area
    That's how I solved the problem before I had a workshop of my own! My wife's car didn't melt in the rain.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    That's how I solved the problem before I had a workshop of my own! My wife's car didn't melt in the rain.
    Although in central Vt you may need to volunteer for the snow removal/windshield defrosting duty in mid-winter, unless you take Rich's advice and set up one of the temporary garages to keep the worst of the snow and ice off.
    Having the workshop/boat shop in the garage also lets you earn a merit badge for not generating sawdust
    in a home based workspace......
    Tell us more about how you see yourself using the skiff......will it be a pulling boat only, or rigged for sail as well? There are a number of plans/kits available for St Lawrence skiffs running from 16 to 20 feet. I believe most are set up strictly as pulling boats. How you intend to use the boat will guide you to the design which will best fit your needs.
    I would be happy to talk with you about my experiences and experiments, and you are welcome to come give her a row or sail while we still have some boating season left, if it would be helpful in your planning.

I'm in the Northeast Kingdom, and my garage becomes the boat shop every spring, but returns to being a garage in November (it's not heated, so I couldn't get much done out there in the winter anyway). The one project I've done that took over one summer was stored at a storage rental place over the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Welcome to the Forum! Can't help you out with shop space, but can welcome you to the Vermont forumites. I'm just below Rutland, there's another guy over by Fairlee and another one, John Hartmann, just above rutland.
    So - Oldad & I are chopped liver? There are a few others as well.

I would think that there would be a number of older buildings in Morrisville & possibly barn space in Wolcott. There's a nice woodworking shop for sale in Huntington, but it comes with 200 acres, so it ain't cheap....

I'd ask contractors in the area about space in their shops. VT has a lot of cabinetmakers tucked away where one would least expect them & some of them might have space. I'd also talk to Geoff Kerr in Westford (2 Daughters Boatworks) - he may know of something - even though he is a ways away from you.

Welcome to the forum!

I will be buying a tent garage (10x20) for a sleigh I have to restore. Once the project is done......?... Would a small boat fit in there!? Just thinking. Erik

What's wrong with the living room?

Welcome to Vermont and the Forum. I am in Essex and have built my boat shop right next to the house. You really don't want a temporary shop because, in case you didn't know it, you wont be able to stop with just one. What ever you do, make sure it is big enough. You might want to check out the various builders who have built bow sheds and have found them to be excellent workshops. If you find yourself having to drive any distance to your shop you will get much less done than if it is nearby. If you can get up from the dinner table, walk into the shop and do a half hour here and there (usually turns into longer) you will get more done. When I am in the middle of a build I often go out to the shop just to admire what will be and plan for the next session. So, long story short, find a way to do it at home, and give us more details on your build.
    Oldad

Welcome to Vermont. I have a shop in the two car garage that became a stable and then a boatshop. So many additions to it my wife calls it the "garage mahal" I am currently renovating a 16' Henry lapstrake runabout. I agree that shops should be next to the house or part of it.

Sorry for having disappeared from this forum and thanks to all who responded to my request. I fell through the hayloft and broke my back in September. All healed now.

The boat will be built in the garage in the spring because we now have goats in the barn.

The St. Lawrence Skiff was the workhorse of the area where I grew up, on the river shore in Ontario, near Massena NY. It had disappeared from the river before my time, but I managed to find an original built in 1910 in Lancaster Ontario and have taken the lines from it. It has been patched several times and modified, so the plan I will use is the design by LE Fry, a 15 ft. boat. http://www.tecws.com/digital-keepsak...pid=1582687520
    It will not have a sailing rig.

This winter, I will source the materials and build the support frame. My brother will assist me and has moved most of his tools into the garage. I am still looking for clamps however.

I built an Amesbury Skiff at the Lowell Boat Shop in Amesbury MA this spring, with 3 other women. It was the first ever 'women-only' class and we are very proud of our accomplishment, which now lives in Maine.

Thanks for your support!
    Elaine

Wow! A broken back is mighty serious - but I don't have to tell you that.... Here's hoping that it is completely healed & that things go more smoothly for you.

Good luck with the build & I hope you'll post some pics.

I hope you come along well. I live near Bennington Vt well actualy Argyle NY. sort of Vermont. Let me know when you get to working. I would like to see it.Erik

Quote Originally Posted by dragonwyck121 View Post
    I hope you come along well. I live near Bennington Vt well actualy Argyle NY. sort of Vermont.
    Hey the "Battle of Bennington" was fought in Hoosick, NY - so why not?

In Vermont the most essential tool is a really great pair of boots. Put up a tarp and work when the temps are above 15. (A bit more if you like epoxy.)
    And welcome.

We need to have a Vermont VWBBA (Vermont WoodenBoat Builders Association) meeting before the holidays, somewhere in Burlington?
    Oldad

I would be up for that! Let's see...

Essex
    Buel's Gore (though in Essex a lot)
    Mt. Holly
    Pittsford/Chittenden (don't remember offhand where John lives)
    Starksboro
    Fairlee
    Stowe/Morrisville
    Burlington (though I haven't seen Noah here in quite a while)
    "Almost Bennington"
    "Somewhere in the NEK" (DavidC)

Have I missed any?

Burlington would certainly work for me - but it's a bit of a drive from Mt. Holly & Fairlee. A ways from Hardwick/NEK too.

Maybe Montpelier would be more central?

Montpelier is fine for me, lets see if anyone else bites. Be nice to put a face with some of the names. There is a hotel in Mountpeculiar that offers a great Sunday brunch.
    Oldad

I don't come around much anymore...amazed at how many woodchucks we got here (OK most of us don't have the 6-7 generation required for the title)...I even know a few of you
    this flatlander is in huntington

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    I don't come around much anymore...amazed at how many woodchucks we got here (OK most of us don't have the 6-7 generation required for the title)...I even know a few of you
    this flatlander is in huntington
    In Huntington as in the nice powerboat where you've been working on the after end of the cockpit lately, next to the barn & new (not yet finished, but looking good) house just down the road from Beaudry's?

No. That is the tenant of a friend. He lets him store the boat there and shed it up to work on over the winter...all glass.

I am up the hill toward the Hump. My shop (windfall woodworks) has been mostly shut down for the past 4 years while I get 2 little girls ready for school. I still do a bit here and there to keep things interesting, mostly with the maritime museum and maintenance for past clients. Bunch of work on the tug Churchill last spring, helping with their (LCMM's) whaleboat for the Morgan this fall/winter, trying to dodge repairs on the McLure with her haulout on the railway this coming spring.
    The Mashnee rebuild (1902 Buzzards Bay 30) at George Darling's was the last really big project before the kids were born....that was fun.

But I am lucky if I can get 20 hrs a week in the shop these days so mostly just small jobs. Hoping to gear back up to fulltime soon.

Gotcha. Mashnee is mighty nice.

Elaine, sorry to hear about your forced delay, but glad to hear you'll be getting started soon. Sounds like a great project.

I think a get together is a great idea. I enjoyed meeting Rich and John Hartmann several weeks ago and I'd love to meet some others of you. I'd certainly be up for something in Montpelier (or in Burlington, for that matter). As far as times prior to the holidays, this weekend is probably out for me as I'll be in Boston most of the weekend, but I'm free the 21st and 22nd as far as I know. After the holidays things are pretty open for me.

Dave
    Sooty Tern Build Thread: Another Tern in the Works!
    Sooty Tern Blog: http://xflow7.wordpress.com

My landlocked hill is in Barre. I'll gladly hoist a mug with anyone who loves wooden boats.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    My landlocked hill is in Barre. I'll gladly hoist a mug with anyone who loves wooden boats.
    All we need is a time and place... Montpelier is pretty central
    I'm adding Barre to Garret's list

Barre
    Essex
    Buel's Gore (though in Essex a lot)
    Mt. Holly
    Pittsford/Chittenden (don't remember offhand where John lives)
    Starksboro
    Fairlee
    Stowe/Morrisville
    Burlington (though I haven't seen Noah here in quite a while)
    "Almost Bennington"
    "Somewhere in the NEK" (DavidC)

I will be away all next week for work & then we're into the holidays.

I'm thinking that this may need to happen in January. I also think this might be seen more more folks if we put something in People & Places about a VT EBS/get-together. Anyone mind if I do that?

Sounds like a good idea and January is fine for me as well

I SO look forward to meeting you folks! January is better than December for me. Montpelier would be central to more of us than Burlington. Burlington would be great though, especially if we could get a special tour through the Maritime Museum. Possible?

The museum is closed for the winter, http://www.lcmm.org, lets get together in January and then again in warm weather for a tour of the museum. The new building is fantastic.
    Goats, Elaine? Milkers I imagine, are you planning on becoming a cheese maker as well as boat builder?

January has arrived and I hope that you all had a happy and safe celebration. Shall we decide on a place and date for our get-together? I think the consensus is Montpelier. Would a Sunday evening work for everyone? Are restaurants in Montpelier open on Sunday nights? How about the 12th or 19th?

Our 3 goats are pets and producers of cashmere. No plans to breed them at the moment.

Please see my post in People & Places. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...S-Get-together

I'm thinking evening might be tougher for folks coming from further away, but by all means bring it up there!

PS: As long as you don't milk them - as we all know, real Vermonters don't milk goats