Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a new clinker dinghy over the winter months

Default Re: Building a new clinker dinghy over the winter months

To fight gravity when building right side up, one can put together some sort of helper constructions.

I only use the one to the right at the moment since I find it easiest.
    Also, with these kinds of supports it is possible to remove the garboard and slide it away a little, still resting on the support, do some trimming, and slide it back and clamp to position.
    I am studying boatbuilding and my teacher says, with a rather mocking tone, that "in USA they build their boats upside down, haha", but I'd say yeah, do it the way you enjoy doing it.

/Mats

Hi, I use whatever is easy to use at the time, but my personal favour is peg cramps I made myself as to adjust these you only a small wedge to adjust the grip.

Hi ARW123, Over the 30+years as a wooden boat builder I have got a varied collection of cramps and I have much of my time by myself and I can see the advantage of the bungee, The f cramps have been a life saver as you can adjust tem single handed and have a varied collection of hem too. As an old boat builder once said to me when I first started as a boat builder "you will never have enough cramps so the more the merrier"

Hi ARW123, As a young boat builder I worked on one of your boats sister ships, Buccaneer is still around and sailing because I remember she was a very graceful yacht and I knew her owners in the late 1970's. I would be good to know she is still sailing to this day. Regards Simon P

Hi ARW123, I did my apprenticeship at Billy May at Potter Hiegham from 1977 to 1983. As for buccaneer she was during the time I knew about her she was fairly original but anything could have happened in the following years. It is good to hear that they are still all around. I know while I lived and sailed/raced on the Boards that there was a crazy idea going around to put bigger rigs on the cruiser fleet. Some person said he wanted to put the original size rig on Madie and put it back to gaff rig. I was the boat builder who made that mast and it was a feature on Look East about her being re-rigged back to it original sail plan. The only problem was she was over powered as the original sails were cotton sails not ones made out of modern material. So when one person started this thread most of the owners followed and a number of rigs came crashing down. Good for business but not good for the boats. I could tell you a good number of stories about my time Sailing on the Broads and the fun and things these owners got up too making their boats go faster. but that for another time. Regards Simon P

The week ended with six planks aside on, so on the home run now.

This photo shows the firth plank on and fitted and getting ready to make and fit the sixth plank

This photo ready shows the hull taking shape and becoming a boat.
    The final photo shows the peg cramps which help fit the planks easier when shorthanded.

The dinghy is now getting towards it final few planks and will shortly be time to fit the ribs in.

The new Mai- Star Class of dinghy is now getting towards it final few planks on the building of the hull and then it will be time to start to cut and then fit the ribs into the boat. Then will come the fitting out of the inside with the fitting of the floor bearers and the mast step and thwart and the rest of the thwarts and seats and also the centreboard case. So this should be exciting times ahead over the coming months as we head towards the spring and the new sailing season.

The boat is on hold while other jobs are done.

Work on the dinghy is on hold while the bigger boat are worked on and it will be started again when the those boats are finished and back with their owners

Only Three more planks aside and the hull will be finished.

This photo is of the hull with seven planks aside and with just three miore planks aside and the hull will be finished and then then hull can have the moulds removed and the hull can have the ribs fitted.

The hull taking shape

This photo shows how the hull is filling out.

Once the hull planking is done then the nails that were not able to be fitted because the moulds were in the way can be fitted and then the gunwales and ribs and thwart stringers can be fitted and the rest of the fitting out can be done.

Now there is eight planks aside just one more larch plank and then the hardwood plank to finish.

Now that the hull is almost finished it is time to turn our attention to getting the ribs made and getting the steam box ready and into position to put them in. Also sourcing the wood for the gunwales and thwart stringers and also the thwarts and seats and the floorboards and the centreboard case. Once are sourced then the fitting out can begin and the boat can then be rubbed down and painted and varnished.

Eight planks up and the spoilt board cramped in place to mark out the final larch plank

A view of the starboard side of the boat.
    Last edited by jstarboats; 08-23-2015 at 03:18 AM.

Just waiting for the plank of Mahogany get cut to finish off hull of dinghy.

Work on the dinghy has come to a halt for the moment has waiting for the mahogany plank to be cut so that I can finish off the dinghy hull. Then I can get the ribs made and start to fit out the dinghy.

Should be able to finish off the planking soon as other jobs are coming to an end.

Now that other jobs are drawing to a close, I will be able to get on with getting the dinghy planking finished and start to get the inside sorted and the boat ready to fit the ribs and then get on with the fitting out of the hull. Although the finished boat is going to take a while to complete it is taking shape. It is just a matter of time and a little bit more money and I should be on my way again shortly.

Not a lot was done to this boat this week as a number of little jobs on other boat got in the way, but hopefully next week should be able to get on with the planking on this boat.

Just found this thread. Very beautiful! This is the type of build I hope to attempt someday. In the meantime I'll watch this thread.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

This boat is on hold while I get my Old Gaffer sorted and finished off and back in the water again, so I can go cruising this summer. I will hopefully start again on it in about a months' time. When the work on the Gaffer is done and afloat.

Not having attempted to build a proper clinker dinghy ever before I'm in not position to judge which way up to build it, but I'd think it would be awfully difficult to peen the rivet tops with the boat upside down. OTOH I couldn't think that building an epoxy ply clinker boat right way up would be at all easy since gravity would make glue applications difficult.

This is such a lovely build! Thanks for posting it!
    Last edited by Duncan Gibbs; 04-20-2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Bloody auto correct!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Hi jstar,

It's a coincidence, but I just finished a drawing based upon one of your photos. Hope you don't mind. Can't wait to see more, and good luck getting your Gaffer ready!

"near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Hi Falcon 1, Thank you very much for the drawing, I do not mind at all. It is a very good likeness of the boat. Just got to get back to the Gaffer and get it done. Regards J-Star

Quote Originally Posted by jstarboats View Post

Red lead primer on the edges that fit to the keel rebate and the stem and the transom to ensure it is well protected.
    Is the function of the red lead primer only to protect the wood or do it also having some property to keep the boat watertight?

What is the space between the rivets eventually when the ribs are fixed?

Interesting project!

Hi Faering,
    The red lead is to protect the edges of the planks and also to seal them. The space between the rivets is for the ribs. The ribs will be spaced at one rib every two rivets. The boat is being over built as it is going to be a work boat no a pleasure boat.

Quote Originally Posted by jstarboats View Post
    Hi Faering,
    The red lead is to protect the edges of the planks and also to seal them. The space between the rivets is for the ribs. The ribs will be spaced at one rib every two rivets. The boat is being over built as it is going to be a work boat no a pleasure boat.
    Thanks!
    I was thinking of the rivet spacing in inches. And another question: what is the plank thickness?

The ribs will be 10 inches centres and the bottom planks are 12mm and the side planking is 10mm. It is going to be sailing dinghy when it is finished as well as a rowing/motor dinghy so it is going to be used for a number of different uses.

Soon be back in the workshop ready to finish off the last of the planking before starting the fit out of the hull.

Now that I am back at home base for a while I can make a start on getting this project underway again and get the hull finished off and get the ribs made and steamed in place, then get the inside fitted out and get the boat on the water. But getting it on the water is a while coming as there is a few more jobs to be done before this can and will happen. Just got to get a bit of spare time from my other projects so I can get on and get this one finished off.

Looking forward to it.
    Let us know if you're showing it anywhere. I'd love to pop out and see it.
    St.John

This project has been on the back burner as other work as other work as come in so I have not had the time to get on with it. However, since I was last working on the Dinghy I have been able to take on an apprentice to help with the increased workload and to get on with this project.

One of the job I have to get on with is to finish off getting the last two larch planks on the boat and then go to the timber merchant to get the mahogany board to make the top plank with. Then got to phone up my other timber merchant to get some green oak for the ribs and gunwales.

So over the next few weeks the apprentice and myself should be able to get on with this project and get on with the fitting out of the inside.

At long last I have been able to get the Mai-Star Class dinghy back beside the workshop and have got it back in position to make a start on the boat again.

Just had to get the bracing back into position to ensure the dinghy was all set to again so the last four planks can get fitted and the dinghy can then get its ribs fitted and the rest of the fit out can get underway.

So at last it is back beside the workshop and ready to get worked on, just four more planks to fit and then it will be ready to start the painting out of the inside and then get on with the fit out of the inside.. Still toying with whether to leave as a rowing/ outboard dinghy or make it into a sailing dinghy. It is just going to be down to a matter of time and money. However if a customer was to come along for it. I would do it either way, but that is in the future, just got to get it finished off as a boat first.

At long last I have been able to get the Mai-Star Class dinghy back beside the workshop and have got it back in position to make a start on the boat again.

Just had to get the bracing back into position to ensure the dinghy was all set to again so the last four planks can get fitted and the dinghy can then get its ribs fitted and the rest of the fit out can get underway.

Now that I have an next pair of hands to help me with the jobs on the dinghy. I should be able to get on and get a few of the jobs on the dinghy done, so that the hull can be finished off and the ribs can be fitted and the fitting out can start. It is going to be a steep learning curve for both the new apprentice and myself as will tackle the jobs ahead on the dinghy.I have high hopes that his will be up to the job and that he will learn the job and enjoy working with wood and creating new boats and see what can be achieved.

The inside of the dinghy is now primer ready for the next stage on the inside. The apprentice and myself have got to do some planking over the next week and then it will be all hands to doing the ribbing of the hull over the coming week. So it going to be fun as the new apprentice gets to grips with his new job.

After the sad news last week of the passing of my father, I have now gone back to work and made a renewed start on getting the dinghy hull finished off. Today saw one of the last larch planks fitted on the boat and the other larch plank being started to be fitted after a bit of reshaping. So over the next few days we should have the last of larch planks fitted and the mahogany ordered for the top strake and then the frames can come out and the ribs can be steamed into place.

Getting the final larch planks in place

Dry fitting the last starboard side larch plank

My young apprentice nailing the plank into position with copper nails and roves

Finally getting need to the top of the boat.

With just one plank to go on the sides it is almost time to get the green oak cut ready for the next stage

Got three steamboxs to use for the different length ribs, but which one.

Not much longer and the planking will be finished and the next stage can begin and the inside can take shape and look more like a dinghy

Marking out the top plank spoilt board after offering the piece of plywood on to the boat.

Marking out the bottom edge of the top plank spoilt board

Having cut out the spoilt board planing it down to the witness marks

Having planned down the bottom edge, now its the turn of the bottom edge to get the same

treatment

All done now ready to go on the boat to make final adjustments