Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Building a new clinker dinghy over the winter months

Default Re: Building a new clinker dinghy over the winter months

It is time dust off the winter cover and get on and carry on the fitting out of the new dinghy. The most important part is to get the hull ribs sorted and the split plank to replace.

Finish off the ribs

Making the patterns for the floor bearers

Then get to grips with the fitting out of the inside with seat stringers and bilge runners and the seats and thwarts and finally the mast and spars.

This dinghy will soon be back underway as the space in the yard is needed for other boats and it will be good to get it on the water and sailing on the rivers near the yard. Also should get time to get Mai Star II refit back underway as well. As both boats have been on the back burner for some 6 months as other jobs and projects have needed to be done.

Good to hear it.

The top sheer strake back in position ready to start putting the new planking back on the dinghy

After taking off the broken and split planks, it is now time to start the rebuilding of the side of the dinghy. First put back on the sheer strake plank so there is guide to work to when putting the planks back in position

First dry fitting of the first of the planks that need renewing

Got my every faithful bandsaw back up and running and in position to use it to cut long lengths of planking

Hi Folks,
    I know it has been a long time coming, however, may be this winter the dinghy may well be finished and put in the water and go for a sail in her with life being its normal self. Put problems of a boating type and people doing different things. It has been hard to keep an even keel on life and my boating projects, however, now that things have settled down a bit and I can see the way forward better. Jobs and projects can start to take shape and get done in a timely manner, that is to say things will get done as quickly as is possible with the resources available to me and my apprentices. Just got to get the boats in the workshop finished off and get the next set of boats in to get sorted and repaired or restored. So it is a matter of watching this space for up dates as they come along.

Sometimes it is surprising how life slows down what we want to get to. Glad to hear your dingy is back in the schedule. I look forward to updates.

Having cut to shape it was time to plane the rebates on the top and bottom edge front and rear before dry fitting the plaqnk

Steaming the gunwales on the opposite side top plank while working on the replacement plank

Fitting the new replacement plank using traditional clamps

final positioning of the plank before nailing and clinching in position

Starting to fit the second Replacement plank after planning it down to the correct thickness with the thicknesser / Planner

The Plank getting its first dry fitting after planning on the rebates at each end

Using a mixture of old fashion peg clamps and modern G Clamps

The young apprentice watching his father fit a plank so he can help fit the next plank on the dinghy

The top strake being refitted, so the gunwales can be fitted next and the then the rest of the fitting out can being

Finally the top strake is nailed into position and the rest of the fitting out can go ahead.

Dry fitting the gunwales

At last the dinghy is coming on a pace and with time and patience will come together for the winter when I will be able to take it for a trip on the local rivers.

At the moment a open space, however, not for long.

The Mai-Star Class is cleared out ready for a coat of primer before the coating system is applied

First complete coat of primer on all the bare wood on the inside now it is ready

Looking forward over the transom, just one small job in the bow a few short ribs to steam into position

Pretty!!!!!! I is nice to see her getting back on track.

Hi Ned,
    I
    t is good to finally get her back on track and underway again, this time I may even get her finished off and on the water and sailing this winter. Just got to keep repairing clients boats to fund the work. I will keep giving up dates on her
    progress over the coming months until her launch.

Regards

Simon j-Start

Time to get the plans out to check the position of the seat rails and the centreboard case and the mast step and thwarts

Now it is all primered ready to start the fitting out of the inside

On The Mai-Star Class dinghy starting to coat the inside with white undercoat

One side done

The whole of the inside done, just a few more coats of paint and the inside will be finished

Got the rubbing strakes and seat stringers planned down to size ready to finish off the edges before fixing them on the dinghy top strake when the hull as been finish being painted and varnished.

The hull finally turned over and ready paint and fix the bilge keels and cut the centreboard case slot.

Giving the Hull a quick sanding and cleaning up ready to paint its first coat of primer

First coat of yacht primer on the hull now it is time to cut the centreboard slot and fit the bilge keels and then continue the painting of the hull

Very pretty!