Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a new clinker dinghy over the winter months

Default Building a new clinker dinghy over the winter months

Building a new class of dinghy for the modern world.

As other jobs are finishing or being put on hold because of the weather and other reasons, it has given me chance to get on with making a start on the new build.

Since this photo was taken, I have taken down the moulds and got it back to the base keel on the building stocks

The next job is to take the keel off the building stocks and turn it over and cut a scarf joint on the front end and fit the stem / apron to the front end and the refit it to the building stocks and then fit the transom once this is made up and cut to shape.
    Last edited by jstarboats; 08-23-2015 at 03:16 AM.

Default Re: Building a new clinker dinghy over the winter months

Awesome! What design? We want particulars!

It is based on a Andrew Wolstenholme designed Coot Clinker dinghy but a different length than the standard length one. This one is going to be build using larch on oak not plywood.

This photo shows the stem being fitted to the front end of the keel and before the apron is fitted onto the inside edge of the stem and on top of the front end of the keel.
    The keel and stem now back upright and before the apron is fitted.
    T

This photo shows the apron now fitted

This photo is a side on view of the front of the keel and stem/apron now fixed in place and the keel rebate being shaped to line up with the stem rebate.

This photo shows the first two mould stations being fitted to the keel.

This photo shows all the mould stations in place ready to start building the hull of the new dinghy.

Wonderful! Keep it coming!

Today it will be the turn of the Transom to be glued together and other small jobs sorted while the weather is wet outside and work needs doing in the workshop.

This photo is of the three piece that are going to make up the transom of the new dinghy

This photo is of the three pieces of the transom now all glued together with biscuits in the joints to keep it in the correct position.

Once the glue has set and after a couple of days it will be sanded down and then the transom template will be put on it and the marks taken off the template and it will then be set up on the end of the keel supported by the stern knee.
    Last edited by jstarboats; 11-20-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Now the planks are starting to go on the moulds and its the birth of a new boat.

This photo shows the spoil board being put in place ready to mark the starboard side garboard plank.
    This photo shows the spoil board being position on the stem and final trimming of the stem to fit the spoil board.
    This photo shows the first garboard plank being cramped in place.

This photo shows the front end of the garboard plank being placed in the steam box to make it possible to cramp it easier to the stem given the tight angle it has to turn to fit the stem.
    The steamed garboard plank cramped in place on the stem and left to cool down over the weekend before starting to final fit the garboard next week.

A great looking build, but I'm wondering why you're building it right side up. I build all mine up-side down and it would seem so much easier.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Hi Rich,

I was apprenticed to a boat builder who always build his boats the right way up and after all it cuts down on the possible damage that may be caused by turning the boat over. Also it is good to see the boat grow from the keel up and be able to look at it without having to stand on your head to look at the shape.

Regards

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by jstarboats View Post
    Hi Rich,

I was apprenticed to a boat builder who always build his boats the right way up and after all it cuts down on the possible damage that may be caused by turning the boat over. Also it is good to see the boat grow from the keel up and be able to look at it without having to stand on your head to look at the shape.

Regards

Simon
    Well, there is that. I've spent a lot of time "standing on my head" trying to see how things will look right-side up!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Watching intently!

Rick

Hi Rick & Rich,

I have been building & repairing boats for over 30 years and I have done my fair share of standing on my head looking at boats and after all these years I have had enough of having a headache from blood rushing to my head. so it is easier to stand up or sit down on chair to look at the boat.

Hi Rick & Rich,

I have been building & repairing boats for over 30 years and I have done my fair share of standing on my head looking at boats and after all these years I have had enough of having a headache from blood rushing to my head. so it is easier to stand up or sit down on chair to look at the boat.
    It sounds and looks like you know what you're doing, so I'm just watching and absorbing, since I've got a clinker build coming up.

Keep up the good work!

Rick

Hi rick,

I think after 30+years I have learn a bit about how it is done and it would be good to create one more clinker boat before I stop working on wooden boats.

Hi if you don't mind me asking which country are you in? UK?
    Looks like your having fun. what wood are you planking with?

James

Hi rick,

I think after 30+years I have learn a bit about how it is done and it would be good to create one more clinker boat before I stop working on wooden boats.
    Good luck with the build.

Rick

Hi James,

I live in the Uk in the county of Essex on the East coast and the dinghy is going to be build out of larch and have oak ribs and mahogany seats and thwarts and have a standing lug sail.

hi Rick,

Thanks for your comment, will keep post photos as the build progresses over the next few months.

Regards
    Simon

This photo shows the stern knee getting fitted ready for the transon to be fixed to it.[IMG]http://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-Cl-nzuCQPrE%2FUp2A9NjDsYI%2FAAAAAAAACKI%2FtR1zt-zCNuU%2Fs1600%2F20131202_100928.jpg&container=blog ger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*[/IMG]This photo shows the transom before it is cut to size,but after it is thickness to size.[IMG]http://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-aKgmB6EbxjM%2FUp2BCxAAq7I%2FAAAAAAAACKQ%2FEE_vxw4K sWs%2Fs1600%2F20131202_100939.jpg&container=blogge r&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*[/IMG]This photo shows the transom now being fixed to the stern knee.[IMG]http://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-f3Zh6-wb88A%2FUp2BIafXSxI%2FAAAAAAAACKY%2FGIkDw2n-4l8%2Fs1600%2F20131202_151754.jpg&container=blogge r&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*[/IMG]This photo shows the start of fitting the garboard plank to the stem[IMG]http://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-PtgX8spGc5Q%2FUp2BWZhPupI%2FAAAAAAAACKg%2FvC8bPWxE uY0%2Fs1600%2F20131202_151811.jpg&container=blogge r&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*[/IMG]This photo shows the starboard garboard plank being steamed into place. [IMG]http://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-Wk892AWGCRI%2FUp2Be9RtGzI%2FAAAAAAAACKo%2F7HDVk-xYjCw%2Fs1600%2F20131202_151825.jpg&container=blog ger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*[/IMG]

Just a question out of curiosity. Is it easier, harder or about the same to build one right side up vs. upside down?
    "You must believe it will happen, or it won't. Believe me, you gotta believe first" Tim Goad

Looking good, Simon.

Rick

Hi greetings from yorkshire! My dad was from Essex - romfold!
    I love trad builds. i was about to build a 10ft dinghy but the ply i brought was rubbish. will have to buy some more! That's the benefit of solid wood what you see is what you get!
    How heavy do you expect it to be?
    James

Hi James,
    I am from West Yorkshire and now living in Essex so the roles are reversed. The dinghy is going to be a little heavier than a ply boat, as it is going to be used at sea as well as inland. I have not really put mind to how much more it is going to weight as it is not a major reason for building as the client want a dinghy that will last a long time and stand up to being used heavily.

It is easier once you have fitted the garboard planks and once you get underway there is not the problen of turning the boat over to put the ribs in and the fitting out.

Another photo of the final fitting of the garboard planks on to the stem.
    A photo of the curve of the plank has it goes along the boat and over the mould stations from being upright at the stem to laying down along the length of the boat.
    Red lead primer on the edges that fit to the keel rebate and the stem and the transom to ensure it is well protected.
    This photo shows the keel rebate matching up with the transom angle.
    The stem and keel ready to final fixing of the garboard plank after it has been painted with primer.
    This photo is of the starboard side ready to fix the garboard plank.
    This photo shows the secong plank being offer up to mark off and cut to shape.
    This photo show the second plank being bend round the first mould station

Time to make a fresh start on the clinker dinghy building once more, now that we have the Christmas period out of the way. It is time to go back down the workshop and start build the dinghy and get some more planks on the moulds and get the hull finished off. This should not be to long as I already got three planks on one side and two on the other side. Seeing has there are only ten planks aside it should not be too long before the hull planking is finished and I can start to put the ribs in. Then it will be time to get the gunwales fitted and the thwart stringers fitted and then start on the hull fit out and the fitting of the centreboard case.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyBCool View Post
    Just a question out of curiosity. Is it easier, harder or about the same to build one right side up vs. upside down?
    There's certainly more than one way to do it, Wily, but I've built small boats both ways and I find planking up while the boat is upside down is enormously more convenient for me, especially when working shorthanded. With the keel upwards, gravity is working on your side instead of against you, especially noticeable when it comes to planing your bevels, wrapping planks around the molds and hammering in clench nails, not to mention painting. If jstarboats prefers to build it the way he was taught, then of course he should do it that way, but as for me, I find the ergonomic advantages of building a hull upside down and then flipping are well worth it at least until the hull exceeds 25-30'. And if you're doing one of the modern methods that involves epoxy or glass sheathing, then there's simply no question. Far, far simpler and quicker to set up your stations too, using a strongback instead of hanging them in space.

But of course you should build your own boat in the ways that will afford you the most pleasure.

Hi James,

I have always build boats that way up and I find it good to see it grow upwards, Seeing as I am shorthanded, that is to say working by my self I find doing it the way I do it a good way and after 30+ years I am set a bit in my ways to do it any other way.

Looking nice.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I think if you start boat building with strip or glued plywood methods, the upside down method just feels comfortable for all the reasons James mentioned. But if you are trying to copper fasten single handed, it is very difficult to see what you are doing when riveting or clenching with the boat upside down, so you really need a helper inside the boat. But with the boat right way up, you can reach inside a small boat to rivet, you can see what you are doing, get a better swing with the hammer and hold the dolly outside. John Gardner suggests that, if you feel uncomfortable fitting the garboard right way up, you can start with the boat upside down, fit the garboard, and maybe the first broadstrake, then turn it over to fit the remaining planks. Whatever floats your boat as they say.
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Hi Fellow wooden boats,

I have had my hands full with trying to keep going through this appalling weather. I have been busy keeping going with the new clinker dinghy and I am now in the final few planks stage of the hull. Then will be starting to cut and make the ribs and gunwales and thwart stringers.

Pictures????! James

Hi Folks, Had a difficult time lately and have not been able to get on with the last two planks on the new dinghy, but now that other jobs are now coming to a close then will be able to get back to finishing off the hull and start to fit out the hull. Firstly get the centreboard slot cut and the centreboard made and then get the ribs in and then get the thwarts and seats made and fitted. Then get the mast and spars made and the sail ordered.