Thread: Enterprise Restoration

Default Enterprise Restoration

The deck is finally going back after a long battle with the hull, but we are in the final stage of getting this old Enterprise back in a sailing condition once more.
    This photo shows off her nice clean plywood hull and the first stages of fitting the new fore deck on the port side

This photo is of the view over the starboard fore deck
    This photo shows the port side deck on in place and work starting on the starboard one
    Then finally the starboard side deck is in place, just the two pieces to go across the transom to finish off the decks. Once they are finished the fore deck and the other deck pieces will be marked and the underside will be varnished before they are fitted down. This will be after the new bow buoyant tank bulkhead is made and fixed in place
    Last edited by jstarboats; 03-03-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Default Re: Enterprise Restoration

The Enterprise is now out of the workshop so that the deck can harden off and to make room for other projects the company is doing at the moment. There are other work to be done on the other parts of the boat with the thwarts and seats to be varnished. The front buoyant tank bulkhead to have its inspection hatch fitted and the drain bungs fitted to the bottom of the tank to let any water that finds its way into the tank a chance to get out. The rubbing stakes have to be cut down to size and fitted to the boat and the side seat and thwart stringers have to be fitted as well. As does the front spray rail and the other deck fittings after the final coats of varnish have been applied.

It started with getting the new rubbing strakes screwed in place

Then the inside was varnished and the floor was sanded down and non-slip paint was painted on the lower part of the floor to help grip when make quick tacks of gybes.

Also a lot of varnishing of the other bits of the inside were being done and after they have bee finished off then the refitting of the inside can begin and the the deck can be rubbed down and the deck fittings can be started to be fitted.

Now that we have got the mast up and the rig set up it is time to finish off the refitting of the inside of the dinghy and get the side benches refitted and the front inspection hatch fitted to the bulkhead and then sort out the number and size of the buoyant bags we will need to fit before we can go sailing again. Also we will need to sort out the control lines for the kicker and and the lines for the transom flaps and jib pole and the bracket for the pole on the mast. So we have a few jobs to be getting on with over the next few weeks in between other jobs and the weather.

Making a start on the deck of the Enterprise with getting the spray rail back in place.

Once that done then I can get on with getting the rest of the deck fittings on and start to refit the seats and the buoyancy bags. Then just give the deck a good rub down and a few more coats of varnish.

Starting to put the deck fittings back on and it is starting to look more like a racing dinghy again getting ready for the new spring racing season.

Sorting out the new spray rails

Refitting the jib sheet jam cleats, as they are still in good working order

Refitting mainsail track control lines

Refitting jam cleat for transom flaps

Making up base plate for kicker adjuster which this classic type enterprise never had, but it will help with mainsail trim.

A lot of time as gone by since I worked on the Enterprise as there just not been time to have spare while other projects were higher up the poritry list. However, now that I have my son onboard so to speak, he wants to be more hands on with the restoration of the dinghy.

So with a bit of guidance from me on a few points we should be well away with the Enterprise over the coming months as he does the work while he is home from school at weekends and holidays.

Getting one of the company's apprentices to make a new paddle to replace the one lost when the Enterprise last when out sailing. It also gives the apprentice a chance to learn new skills to use later when making a mast for another dinghy we are building.

First the apprentice had to mark out the piece of ash he was going to use for the shaft for the paddle

Then cut out the paddle blades

Once all the pieces with cut they had to be put through the planner thicknesser to get them to the correct size

The make a start on making the shaft round by using the same method you use to make a round mast from a square piece of wood

Having cut the blades for the paddle leaving on a bit for cramping up which once the glue as set can then be cut to close to correct size to plane and shape the paddle.
    Last edited by jstarboats; 12-04-2016 at 03:31 AM.

The second apprentice learning to use hand tools as chisels to shape the shaft of his paddle

Carefully using a paring chisel to continue to shape the shaft of the paddle near to where the blades are going to be glued on to the shaft to continue the next stage of the making of the paddle.

How the shaft of the paddle started

Now getting closer to the finished shape

Now sanding the the final high spots off the shaft

As a company we employ disable young people to help them achieve their goals of becoming boat builders as we find they practical talents which would otherwise be lost.

Hi Simon,

it`s good to see the old Enterprise fresh and gleeming like a new one!

Great to hear (read) you are giving those young folks a chance to learn and do something really worthwhile, they`ll be able to look back at the things they made with a feeling of pride! well done!

Greetings from Germany,

Alan.

Nice to see an enterprise shape again.
    i sailed them a lot when I was a teenager, always timber and never in as good nick as yours.
    keep up the good work.
    Why is 'Politically Approved' speech better than 'Politically Correct' speech?

An Enterprise in need of a good bit of restoration and a good drying out before it can get re-varnishing on the decks and inside before it can get refitted

The decks need a good rubbing down and re-varnishing

The port front spray rail needs to befitted and the deck fittings will be complete

Now that it is in the workshop and out of the weather then work can re-start on the Enterprise

One of the main jobs on the inside was to clean down the painted bottom panels and wash down the varnish work so the work can start on getting the inside sorted.

A bit of elbow grease and some washing up liquid and a scrubbing brush and it is a whole lot cleaner and ready to be worked on when it as dried out over the weekend

The varnishing on the decks is coming along well with the surface now building up the layers

Rubbing down between coats and then applying more varnish

A long job, however, the end result will be worth the hours of rubbing down and varnishing when it is finished

It's looking great!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

The Enterprise restoration is coming along well with the deck now finished off apart from the final coats of varnish towards the end of the restoration. Now we have made a start on the inside of the Enterprise scraping and sanding down the inside and fitting the inspection hatch in the front buoyancy tank and now have the two drain holes in the bottom and then fit the drain plugs. The seats and aft thwart have come out to be sanded down and re-varnished, when finished put to one side to be stored until the rest of the varnishing is finished in the dinghy, when it will be refitted in position.That is going to be sometime as the inside needs a lot of sanding and re-varnishing. There are a few items to go back on the deck especially the front spray rails and the mainsheet traveller and the jig sheet fairleads and the front handles.

The mast and sails will need some work as well. Mainly the mast as this needs a complete overhaul with standing and running rigging needing to be replaced, the pulleys need to be removed, freed up and replaced if need be to ensure when we go sailing it all works correctly and there are no breakages.

So although we have come a long way so far there is a long road ahead to get the enterprise back on the water.

We have to find some new buoyancy bags to go under the seats and behind the aft thwart, so going to be a trawl through the internet for these as well as the rigging. So happy hunting on the internet for these items.

Scraping the old varnish off the centreboard case

The front bulkhead inspection hatch

Front bulkhead inspection hatch fitted just got to drill the holes for the lower drains

The inside of the hull sanded down ready for it to get the bare patches touched up

The apprentice hard at work rubbing down the centreboard case

Getting on with the job

The centreboard almost finished

D'oh! And here I was eagerly looking forward to sourcing dilithium crystals!

Hi Bill,

Sorry but I have not got Warp drive just yet, however, working on it with Chief Engineer Scott.

Regards
    Simon J-Star

The Enterprise thwarts getting the first coats of thinned varnish as they get the same treatment as the decks of the dinghy

The transom getting touched up as well

The inside getting its first coats as well

Its along way to go, however it is going to be worth it in the end

The rubbing stakes getting the same treatment

The rubbing stakes and the inside ready to rub down and start the varnishing process once more

The colour of the teak rubbing stake starting to look good against the mahogany deck

The inside starting to look better with the bare wood getting several coats of thinned varnish

The inside is getting coated at a pace to get as many coats on as possible over the next few weeks to get the dinghy ready for the May day bank holiday when the owner wants to use it

The varnishing is coming along well and now the non slip paint is in need of some attention in the places where it is loose or worn away

One of the apprentices working on the varnish work

The deck and interior getting its final sanding down before giving the Enterprise its final coat of varnish

A lot of work, however the end result will be worth it in the end

The seats and thwarts getting their final sanding down before being refitted to the inside along with the side benches

The deck now as a good gloss finish on it

The inside is now looking good and is also ready to get the anti slip paint applied to it after the bare patches are primed with yacht Primer

The thwarts are shining well and are just in need of screwing back in position

The next job on the enterprise restoration is going to be the re-finishing of the foils Getting the old varnish off the centreboard and the paint off the rudder and reworking the surface

The centreboard is in a poor condition on the upper edge where it was exposed to the weather and the varnish as degraded and the whole lot will have to be removed to get back to bare wood, so the whole blade can be coated with epoxy and then sanded and polished.
    The the same treatment to be given to the rudder blade so the foils can then be the best they can be when we go racing on the Enterprise when it is finished.
    Last edited by jstarboats; 04-17-2017 at 03:07 AM.

I understand your desire for good foils.I wouldn't have the patience to sand and polish epoxy though.I find it simpler and at least as durable to use epoxy as a sealer and white 2 pack as the finish as it sands well and you stand a chance of seeing the odd frond of weed that may be picked up against a white background.

Hi John.
    I understand where you are coming from. I will take onboard your suggestion and see how it comes out. I was going to epoxy the foils and then paint them a different colour and then sand it back until the paint was all gone to ensure a smooth surface. It may be a long process but I have a few hours to play about with on this project as it is for myself not a client.

Regards
    Simon

This is another of my projects that as been on the back burner for a while. However, my son, who is also my apprentice boat builder is going with help form me start to refit the fittings and finish off the painting and varnishing on the Enterprise and get her ready to go for a sail. This is so he and I can go for a sail after work and teach him how to sail. So on Tuesday he will start to put the fittings back on the Enterprise, the job should take about a week or so depending on how he gets on. Then it will be ready to go for a sail and have some fun after a hard day working on other client's boats.

Hi Folks,
    Not a lot got done this week as the weather as been too humid and other projects that needed to be finished this last week got sorted. The Halcyon dinghy as all but finished off this week with just a few jobs left to do on the deck. Once these are done then my apprentice and I can and will get back onto the enterprise and get her finished off and but on the water. So he and I can go for a well earned sail. As the last time we when for a sail on the Enterprise was about four years ago. So we are in need of some sailing time again. As jack said all work and no play makes for a stressed person and boss.

At the start of the day she looked like this

Then I started to fix in the inflatable buoyancy bags

Then it was time to get round to putting on the jib fairleads, rudder fittings

Next week I will be getting the rest of the fittings on and then get it rigged and back afloat for a sail next weekend weather permitting

The enterprise is in the workshop and the fitting out of the inside is coming along a pace