Thread: Raptor composite brads

Default Raptor composite brads

Please comment on your experiences in using the Raptor composite fasteners: Are you successfully using them in a non Raptor branded nail gun? Who or where is your favorite source for these fasteners?

Default Re: Raptor composite brads

Hard to purchase them...dont run out halfway thru a project

My experience is that you either have to purchase the proprietary gun... or be randomly lucky. I had an old Senco brad nailer that WOULD shoot them. It was stolen... and the replacement WON'T. Just crumples 'em up. I've even seen same-model guns where one would, and one wouldn't. Maybe one of them needed a tune-up? Dunno. I'd contact one of the suppliers...

like http://www.duckworksbbs.com/tools/raptor.htm... or... http://ancofastenersales.com/our-pro...lastic-staples, and have them ship you a sample to try in your gun.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Raptor NAILS will only work in a Raptor nail gun due to their odd size is my understanding.

Raptor BRADS have worked flawlessly in both my Black and Decker and Ryobi 18 v brad guns.

I have bought all of my brads from Raptor, but Duckworks is now selling them.

When I bought my last batch of brads, I asked raptor for some nails to try in my nailer and they sent me some free samples
    to try. They did not work but the Raptor people were very friendly.

For a boat???

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    For a boat???

Dave
    Cold molding... never pull a staple again.
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Ahhh, gotcha...

Dave

I have used a palm nailer with the composite nails from Raptor. It works well and the inevitable nail that pierces the strip is easy to deal with. The gun is no big advantage since you will have to drill for the nails. For applying veneer, the plastic Raptor staples are really great. They do require the proprietary gun; I found one on EBAY. Not having to pull staples makes one drive a lot more staples. I put 5000 in a 23 foot boat (two layers of veneer over cedar strips). The staples sand and take finish beautifully.

I took David's advice and asked for a sample which they were happy to send me. The folks I spoke with told me right up front that in their experience, that any non Omer gun will not have long-term success in shooting the Raptor brads due to tolerance issues. They told me that the Omer gun is built to a tighter tolerance specifically to the dimensional tolerances of the Raptor brads. They said that while some folks have been able to use their own brad nailer for a short term, that they will have definitely have some issues later on down-the-road with jamming as build-up occurs in the gun from brad residue from thousands of shots through it. This build-up issue supposedly does not happen with the Omer gun.

After pulling out way to many thousands of staples,

I tried to modify a 1/2 inch stapler to shoot the raptor staples. I got it to kinda work but it would fail 1 out of 10 times, and require dis-assembly to clear the jam.

Bought the Omer staple gun, and it has single handedly made cold molding a pleasure. And I'm not sure it has jammed once in the thousands of staples shot since.

I have shot over 100 thousand staples with my Raptor gun. Occasionally need to clean up some inevitable epoxy and plastic build-up, but normally work flawlessly. I found if you spray a little wd-40 on the moving parts of the gun it almost never jamss.

ARW123
    those raptor plastic staples are really great stuff, contact them directly , they very helpfull even for small quantity and sell also suitable gun (I don't remain cost, so, for sure this was not too expensive !!)
    cheer's
    bertho
    www.fusionschooner.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by CundysHarbor View Post
    I have used a palm nailer with the composite nails from Raptor. It works well and the inevitable nail that pierces the strip is easy to deal with.
    I'm thinking of using Raptor nails for some glue-up applications where I won't be putting in large numbers, so the cost of the special nail gun is prohibitive. A palm nailer would be great, but I don't get it. A palm nailer holds the nail in with a magnet. Raptor nails are non-magnetic. How does the nail stay in place while you get the nailer into position?
    I will beg you for advice, your reply will be concise, and I will listen very nicely and then go out and do exactly what I want! (Apologies to Lerner and Lowe.)

I doubt that you could ever sink a Raptor nail with a palm nailer. Part of what makes the plastic nail work is that it is supported by the gun. You might get them to work in a Bostich or similar 15ga. nailer. I think I read somewhere about someone having some success with a nailer other than the Raptor.

They work in my Senco brad nailgun and I use them when gluing pieces to keep them from slipping. Plywood worked fine. Oak just shattered the nails.
    Definitely wear safety glasses, sometimes there are pieces nail flying around. Had a few pieces hit my face without damage.

Egbert

When I nailed strips on my Joel White, I drilled snug holes through the pieces through which the nail would pass. Next, I placed nail in hole by hand and drove it with the palm nailer. The first half inch of the nails are undersized. I used plywood pieces to align and hold the strips in place. A most, I drilled and drove 5 at a time, spaced every six inches or so. The nail just holds the strips together until the epoxy kicks. PM if this is not clear. Like the puffy sleeves?

[IMG][/IMG]

I get mine from Duckworksmagazine, link above, use them in a Ryobi cordless finish nailer. Great.
    I often use two or three, pop pop pop, no time wasted, where strength is an issue. They sand off, can be planed down when running along a plank or whatever, but where I am holding something that requires more strength than the plastic nails are likely to give me I use stainless brads. Changing them over only takes a moment.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by eflanders View Post
    Please comment on your experiences in using the Raptor composite fasteners: Are you successfully using them in a non Raptor branded nail gun? Who or where is your favorite source for these fasteners?
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

CundysHarbor ... I like the puffy sleeves ! A great idea as my forearms are the only place I seem to smear epoxy.

Re the Raptor nails, could you tap them into a close fitting hole with a hammer or would they shatter ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    CundysHarbor ... I like the puffy sleeves ! A great idea as my forearms are the only place I seem to smear epoxy.

Re the Raptor nails, could you tap them into a close fitting hole with a hammer or would they shatter ?
    I've used the nails with an hammer without any problem. I pre-drilled through the strip and the wood was rather soft. Would use it again.

/F

Thanks, they look like the prefect nail to align strips.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post

The puffy sleeves, I got them just before the picture was taken. I don't think I ever put them on again; they're hot (thermally speaking). Yes, hammering is an option, in fact, that his how I started. It just took too long, and especially when hammering sideways or up it was all too easy to bruise the wood. I should mention that by putting a couple of washers in the guts of the palm nailer the stroke can be reduced resulting in less chance of overdriving the nails.

All I've read on Raptor and other composite brads and nails is about using them as temporary fastenings while glue dries.

Can they be used for permanent fastenings? Anyone have any experience with that?
    I will beg you for advice, your reply will be concise, and I will listen very nicely and then go out and do exactly what I want! (Apologies to Lerner and Lowe.)

Quote Originally Posted by alkorn View Post
    All I've read on Raptor and other composite brads and nails is about using them as temporary fastenings while glue dries.

Can they be used for permanent fastenings? Anyone have any experience with that?
    Well, they are left in permanently, but have little withdrawal or shear strength. It is the glue (epoxy) that supplies the necessary strength.

Are the plastic nails strong enough to go through thicker planks?

Quote Originally Posted by Wckoek View Post
    Are the plastic nails strong enough to go through thicker planks?
    I'm using both composite nails and staples for the build of my Beg-Meil. I can drive the nails thru 3/4" plywood and into mahogany or fir lumber. The opposite direction works as well. I have not had need to use thicker or harder species, so don't know how they would work in those applications. The staples are going thru (soft) Western Red Cedar and into plywood. They easily perform this task. I found about 90 psi on the compressor works well. As another poster already mentioned, they don't provide any real strength but provide fast/easy clamping pressure while the adhesive cures. All the hardware I'm installing is installed for the life of the boat. You can see some photos here:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...eil+for+boston

Good luck,

18mm or 3/4" is very good, any thicker would better off done in layers.
    Which gauge size did you use?

I used their common nails about 2 inches long for securing cedar strips while the epoxy cured. I drilled tight holes for the nails and used a modified palm nailer to drive them home. The advantages of low cost and ease of fixing when a nail goes wonky made me a believer. If a bronze nail breaks through the planking surface it is very hard to conceal.