Thread: Rebuild the 283 or go with a 350?

Default Rebuild the 283 or go with a 350?

The engine in my '62 CC Holiday has seen better days. We've owned the boat for over 10 years, and have done a ton of work on it, including a new bottom 3 years ago.
    But back to my problem. The 283 that came with the boat has been losing power for the last few years, and this summer it got to the point where I need to rebuild. Or should I?
    I'm considering swapping the 283 for a 350. I think more horsepower would be a very good thing. We use the boat to wakeboard and ski, and it's never been really good about pulling people up when the boat has more than 4 passengers.
    I've heard varying opinions, and scoured the forums and came up with very little on this subject. Thoughts?

How could it hurt? You don't have to open up the throttle all the way all the time.
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com

Default Re: Rebuild the 283 or go with a 350?

Quote Originally Posted by mcdenny View Post
    How could it hurt? You don't have to open up the throttle all the way all the time.
    That's exactly the thing I'm worried about, though. When you wakeboard or ski, you basically go WOT until the person is up, and the boat planes, then you settle down into a very moderate speed for wake boarding, which is mostly what we do. I'm not really worried about maxing out to full speed, it's more the torque generated to pull up a rider at WOT. Wondering if the boat can handle the additional torque. Thoughts?

Guessing the 350 might have 300 lb ft max torque, that would be like two people standing on one of the engine bearers. The boat would tilt a bit in the water from their offset weight. Don't see how that would be a problem.

Nearly doubling the hp would drive the boat about 40% faster. Pounding through waves at 55 mph instead of 40 could be a problem.
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com

Quote Originally Posted by mcdenny View Post
    Guessing the 350 might have 300 lb ft max torque, that would be like two people standing on one of the engine bearers. The boat would tilt a bit in the water from their offset weight. Don't see how that would be a problem.

Nearly doubling the hp would drive the boat about 40% faster. Pounding through waves at 55 mph instead of 40 could be a problem.
    Good point about the 300 lb torque, I hadn't thought about the tilt. And I agree, it wouldn't be much of a problem, as it'll come to plane pretty quickly. It's kind of like my '86 GLH-S Shelby. Ungodly torque at launch in such a small, light car, you have to literally muscle the wheel to the right or you'll go off the road. But, it's totally manageable.

The 55 mph instead of 40 shouldn't be a problem with the Holiday. You can rarely go even 40, only when the water is nearly dead calm, or little ripples. Because of the flat hull for skiing, it doesn't handle any type of wave well at all. We're very used to keeping it low speed when wavy, you really have no choice, or you'll destroy the boat in no time.

I have rebuilt a lot of engines and in my opinion GM never built a smoother running engine than the 283, the bore and stroke combination was perfect. But with that being said I am more partial to the 350, 62 was the middle production time for those motors and they were producing around 250hp a non fuel injected bone stock 350 will produce 290 to 320hp depending on the year and cam specs and the parts for it are so easy to come by making more economical to fix or to upgrade. Thank god you didn't mention a 305 because that would be better suited for something that you throw off the bow. I think the power increase will be good for you but I don't think the top speed will increase all that much unless you change the prop, you'll just get out of the hole a little faster.

Quote Originally Posted by heydon View Post
    I have rebuilt a lot of engines and in my opinion GM never built a smoother running engine than the 283, the bore and stroke combination was perfect. But with that being said I am more partial to the 350, 62 was the middle production time for those motors and they were producing around 250hp a non fuel injected bone stock 350 will produce 290 to 320hp depending on the year and cam specs and the parts for it are so easy to come by making more economical to fix or to upgrade. Thank god you didn't mention a 305 because that would be better suited for something that you throw off the bow. I think the power increase will be good for you but I don't think the top speed will increase all that much unless you change the prop, you'll just get out of the hole a little faster.
    That's music to my ears. I actually don't want or need anymore top speed (though it would be fun, for sure), I really need to get out of the hole faster, and the prop I choose will be designed to help that as well, which will also reduce top speed. With wake boarding it's all about how quickly you can get the rider up, and maintain a very, very constant speed for long periods of time. And I agree, much easier to maintain and upgrade. Once my kids were all grown and I didn't have to worry about them killing themselves in my '72 El Camino with a down tuned 350, I made a few easy mods (better cam, headers, a few other things, even nitrous) and the difference was astounding. And I also agree, the 305 is complete crap.

Any thoughts on the increased HP and torque on the hull?

There is no replacement for displacement!

Seriously, given your stated use and typical crew load, the 350 makes more sense to me.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post

Seriously, given your stated use and typical crew load, the 350 makes more sense to me.

Kevin
    Agreed, though I suppose I could put a blower on it. Not interested.

Any thoughts on any problems I might run into?

Thanks.

The 350's are flywheel aft, the 283 in your boat is likely flywheel forward, very different engines - I was involved in this swap once, and the 350 in that configuration would not fit under the sole

I'd go 350, and maybe detune it a bit. A big(ger) motor that doesn't have to work hard will last a long time. And the 350 is probably the most common block in the world. Parts available anywhere:
    Ben Sebens, LPN

I have rebuilt a lot of engines and in my opinion GM never built a smoother running engine than the 283, the bore and stroke combination was perfect.
    the big 472 and 500 caddy motors were pretty smooth, mostly due to the no 'lump' cam profile and that giant cast crank and flywheel. . .

the ubiquitously marinized chevy 250/292straight six is also a pretty smooth engine
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I had a 283 in a 63 Impala, great little engine.

What would be best in this instance, I have no clue.

Rick

350s are a common replacement engine in runabouts.

One thing you should consider is the 283s were flywheel forward; a 350 is flywheel aft. Thus, the 283 has a lower profile. One needs to be sure that there is plenty of clearance under the engine room hatch.

Yep. My dad got tired of rebuilding the 283 in our old Luhrs 25, so he went 305 and eventually 350.

That raised-deck engine box modification was a thing of beauty.
    We must go too far in order to know how far to go. Yeah.

Originally Posted by Breakaway

Kevin

Agreed, though I suppose I could put a blower on it. Not interested.

Any thoughts on any problems I might run into?

Thanks.
    Well, other the clearances and such that have been mentioned, you ay have to re-prop to take advantage of the extra torque being put out. Either more pitch or more blade area ( via blade shape or number, probably not diameter.) so you can deliver that extra power and torque to the water.

I am in the camp who says you wont be all that much faster. But you will have dramatically different hole shot, and a more confident feel at the helm, regardless of load and sea conditions.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    350s are a common replacement engine in runabouts.

One thing you should consider is the 283s were flywheel forward; a 350 is flywheel aft. Thus, the 283 has a lower profile. One needs to be sure that there is plenty of clearance under the engine room hatch.
    Yes, but if you use the conversion parts from the 283, you can make the 350 flywheel forward. At first glance, it will be hard to tell it isn't the original engine. There was a couple instances where I had to grind the 283 cast aluminum pan to allow for the longer stroke crank of the 350.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Well, other the clearances and such that have been mentioned, you ay have to re-prop to take advantage of the extra torque being put out. Either more pitch or more blade area ( via blade shape or number, probably not diameter.) so you can deliver that extra power and torque to the water.

I am in the camp who says you wont be all that much faster. But you will have dramatically different hole shot, and a more confident feel at the helm, regardless of load and sea conditions.

Kevin
    This post reminded me that we did go to a much steeper 4-blade prop with the 350, and that the propwalk was HUGE. At better-than-cruising speed, if a lobster pot or other floating debris appeared on short notice, a quick-turn to starboard was the only option, port wasn't happening. My younger brother had all he could do just to hold a straight course. We talked about going with hydraulic steering for a while, but sold the boat before getting around to it.

Good times.
    We must go too far in order to know how far to go. Yeah.

Nice hearin a man who knows what hes talkin about.

The only things I would worry about are the base engine stringers - are they in good shape and soundly connected to the rest of the boat structure - you will be transmitting a bit more twisting force to the entire hull structure, and as mentioned before, you might need to have some trim tabs if you don't currently run them. I had a 25 ft boat we converted to cummins diesel power, and then propped to take advantage of the increased torque and power available. When the boat was running at high engine rpm, it almost wanted to lay on its right side. We had to have some trim tabs installed to handle this. Not a big deal, but it was odd the first few times it happened. Probably depends on hull shape also, as this was a deep V hull forward, less V but some aft.