X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P.I. Stazzer-Newt
    obnoxiously persistent.
    • Jan 2005

Re: recommendation for kitchen knife steel

The stainless V carbon steel argument is old hat - either can do the job and a bad knife can be made from any steel.

The only carbon steel knife left in my kitchen is a Chinese cleaver - which I've had since 1983 - fine tool but many find them intimidating.

Latest addition is a ceramic blade - my christmas pressie - which I'm looking forward to trying.

Giant PITA - any knife which will balance on its back with the edge facing upwards - anything that does that trick goes in the bin
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

• pipefitter
      • Mar 2005

Specifying "Stainless" is kind of a misnomer in modern times. One of the most underrated being 440c. Many knives use 440 A or B, which is inferior to C and ends up giving stainless a bad rep. Some use 420, which is worse yet. If it is not marked 440"c", it will indeed be the lesser quality versions outside of exotic alloys, which I don't find really being worth the extra high cost.

I have a 14 dollar stainless Faberware santoku pattern that I bought because I had teenage sons at home. Every knife is a utility knife in that environment. Oddly enough, once sharpened properly, it lasts through quite a few meals before needing touched up and will cut through a loaf of fresh baked bread without distorting the loaf.

I currently own kitchen knives from Henkels, Dexter-Russel, Forschner and Kershaw and they all work rather well as maintained.

I just ordered some o1 tool steel to make a chef knife, and a skinning knife for someone else, which as of late, I am getting rid of them as fast as I can make them once people find out how tough they are. That was not my plan to perpetually make knives in my off time, but I reckon there is worse things one could do.

Here's two in the works from o1 steel. The top one I am keeping. The bottom one just came out of heat treating/tempering and I have just started sanding on it for someone who wanted a zero (that bevel is the actual edge) edge bevel utility knife with fancy file work on the tang that will be sandwiched between buckeye burl scales. After working it from an annealed state, to it's hardened, and then having put an edge on it, it is my favorite of the carbon steels I have used. It's a relatively cheap (files and sandpaper) hobby and I may eventually end up with a really nice set of kitchen knives, which is what I initially set out to do.

Sorry for the thread drift, but if you want carbon steel knives, they can be made for pennies on the dollar, as nice, or nicer than you can buy, and certainly not out of skill range for someone who could build a nice sharpie sailboat.

Comment

• Gerarddm
        #RESIST
        • Feb 2010

Always liked the Global design, but how is the balance?
        Gerard>
        Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• Thorne
          Like my hat?
          • Aug 2005

I like the Warther knives, but am not a pro chef or sharpener -

Warther Cutlery is one of the premier knife companies in the United States. Our handmade kitchen cutlery is made from premium-grade S45VN steel.
          "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
          Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Comment

• seedy
            • Nov 2001

Years ago, I bought a santuko (?) -shaped $25 knife at an Asian grocery with nice wood handle, not too heavy or blunt so it can be used to poke into veggies and fruits and extract certain things, I no longer bother with paring knives. The blade is supposed to be HC steel inside stainless layers. I keep sheets of automotive wet/dry in a kitchen drawer, and when it needs sharpening I wet a sheet of 600 and sharpen it right on the countertop. I then do 1000 or jump to some very fine machinist's cloth if it feels like it came along nicely with the 600. I use this same method with a Cuisinart stainless blade, t just takes longer and is fussier. I strop on whatever rag is handy. Hand-wash and dry carefully and it stays good for a while.

If I was going to spend on a kitchen knife I'd get artisan-made folded steel from Japan. The equivalent of a wooden boat, knife-wise.

Comment

• Bob Cleek
              • Feb 2000

Originally posted by Mrleft8
              Stainless steel knives are for..............
              Get good carbon steel knives and dry them after you wash them. Like good cast iron frying pans or a good carbon steel or cast iron wok, once you season them, they are almost maintenance free.
              And any stainless knife that's easy to sharpen will go dull cutting a grape. I have a set of stainless steel knives I keep in the kitchen so other people won't use my good knives.
              Double ditto to this and Jay's comment. I have a beautiful collection of old high carbon steel chef's knives and a cleaver, all razor sharp and easy to keep that way. They are a joy to use. Nobody else touches them. The "lady of the house" will only use her dull, abused, stainless Heinkels crap "because I don't like sharp knives... they're dangerous." Fine by me!

Comment

• PeterSibley
                • Dec 2001

My best knife was found as a blade under an old house I was repairing . It got a new rosewood handle and copper rivets .

It can be sharpened to a razor's edge and it will hold that edge too..
                '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
                Grateful Dead

Comment

• Paul Pless
                  pinko commie tree hugger
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by seedy

If I was going to spend on a kitchen knife I'd get artisan-made folded steel from Japan. The equivalent of a wooden boat, knife-wise.
                  you don't have to go to japan. . .

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• seanz
                    Resilient?
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Gerarddm
                    Always liked the Global design, but how is the balance?
                    Weird, I've been using it for so long I had to go and check. It feels handle heavy.....but it isn't.....and it has a curved blade so it 'rockers' really well.
                    We don't know how lucky we are....

Comment

• seanz
                      Resilient?
                      • Nov 2006

Paul, your video isn't available in my country.

Aussie chicks, they always embrace the local culture.

Comment

• seanz
                        Resilient?
                        • Nov 2006

Comment

• seanz
                          Resilient?
                          • Nov 2006

Feel like shouting this bloke some new filters for his mask but it's a good little vid.

I believe sitting outside in the snow staring into the campfire is optional.

Comment

• seanz
                            Resilient?
                            • Nov 2006

What every kitchen needs, a waterstone.

Comment

• seanz
                              Resilient?
                              • Nov 2006

I'm just getting carried away now..........

Comment

• PeterSibley
                                • Dec 2001

Originally posted by seanz
                                I love that trip hammer !
                                '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
                                Grateful Dead

Comment

Working...