Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: The second restoration of Mai-Star II

Default Re: The second restoration of Mai-Star II

The Ship's Mascot Sasha keeping a weather eye on the work on the boat

Rubbing down loose paint work on bulkheads and touching up the bare wood areas after masking up edges.
    r
    It a just few places on the bulkhead

A whole lot more on the side of the hull and under the foredeck on the starboard side

most of the touching up was on the new ribs on the port side.

After these areas were dry I was able to get a second coat of varnish on the cabin sides. Also fitted was the end blocks for the bunk backrests, once the painting is completed then the blocks and the backrests will be varnished like the cabin sides.

First job was to mask up the cabin sides after they had been rubbed down ready for their next coat of varnish.

All the cabin sides masked ready and so it begins

The start of a long job, panting the roof with primer which will have two coats before starting on the undercoat

All finished on the first coat of primer

The cabin side having had two coats of varnish and before it was rubbing down ready for the masking up to paint the roof.

The transformation of the inside of the cabin and cockpit over the space of a week from no paint to first coat of gloss on the cabin roof and the cockpit from bare wood to undercoat, now just waiting for some green oak to finish off the cockpit ribs and the paint them and finish off the cockpit with a few coats of white gloss before rebuilding the cockpit area.

The cabin roof before starting to paint
    After the first coat of primer of which it had two coatsAfter two coats of undercoat and finally to its first coat of white gloss

First of two coats of primer

Then after two coats of undercoat now ready for the gloss after the last three ribs are steamed in

At long last the green oak has arrived and so we can get the ribs in the boat. then I can get on with the painting of the hull. So over the next few days it will be spent in the workshop sawing the oak planks down to the size of the ribs, then putting them through the thicknesser/planner and then finally taking them to the boatyard to steam them in the boat. Once that is done can turn my attention to painting and varnishing the hull and cabin sides.

At the same time can get on with varnishing and painting the inside of the cabin especially the varnish work on the cabin sides and the bare patches of white paint work which needs touching up and priming. then the whole of the inside needs a coat of fresh undercoat and white gloss and the trims need fitting and varnishing once they are in place.

These three ribs now cliched up and fixed in place, just need painting from top to bottom with primer and then grey bilge pain
    t

Good to start getting the ribs finished off and so the refit work can start again.

Need to dampen the inside of the boat to get the planking to swell up and close the gaps that have appeared over the two years the boat has been out of the water.

At the the portholes are sealed in place, so now the cabin is getting more watertight by the day, so it is just the deckhead to cover with epoxy resin and matting to finish it off now to complete the job.

Good to get that job out of the way and get on with other jobs around the cabin and get the boat a step closer to the water.

The final port side rib in the cabin, just got to get some more copper nails and this job will be finished and another milestone will have been reached.

One job that will be needed to be sorted, a broken frame, one of the jobs I am not looking forward to doing as it could be a little headache, but we will see how it turns out.

The last three ribs in the starboard side in the cabin now fitted in place, just need cliching up and that will be a milestone met and can move on to the next job on the refit list.

Looks good jstar,

I'm surpised so little people seem to follow your work. I have a similar project on my hands but have to do it in smaller steps. How do you glue the scarphed edges in? I have trouble clamping them to the old planks. Especially if it is the last one in a row.

Keep the posts coming.

Hi Lutine,
    the main way I do it especially on bow planks is to steam them in place one at a time and fit them dry. Once this is done make up sures to push them into place and screw and then nail the scarph joints together while the glue goes off. Use this method and it appears to work well, just the last plank is fun as you have to make up some fun bracing to get the job done.

Hi Lutine,
    I am surprised that more people do not follow my blog? But it is just a small restoration project not a new build which people find more interesting I think, could be wrong,
    Regards
    jstarboats

Yes, one of the things I skipped is steaming. As my bend radius is not too big, i can wrestle them in place without. I just have trouble to fit the scarph end. At hte moment i use a beam hinged to the rail and a rope with spanish windlass under the keel, but it is hard to get it aligned properly. I'm afraid nail s won'tdo the job. Maybe i shoud invest in a steambox.

Hi Lutine,

My steam boxes I made myself to do the main different steaming jobs I have done over the years. The one I use for plank ends is made out of marine plywood and is a three feet long about one foot wide and two inches deep. Blocked off at one end and open at the other with a hole towards the back to put the steam pipe in. I put the plank in and if it is an inch thick, left it in for an hour. just making sure the open end as rags around the plank to keep the steam in the box. My other steam box is about eight feet long and I use this one for steaming ribs in and that one is made out of twelve by one pine screwed together and is now thirty plus years old and still going strong. They cheap to make and last for years and saves a lot of headaches along the way.

Regards

Jstarboats

Just got one rib to finish clinching up and then the cabin furniture can start to go back in place and the inside can start to look more like a boat again. Then the water tank and battery boxes can be put back in place after the whole of the bilge area is repainted with grey bilge paint and the cabin sides are primed and undercoated and glossed and then the cabin side battens can be refitted. The battens will be fitted after they have been varnished and the cabin hull sids have been glossed. The the locker have to have their new bases fitted where they are missing, so that the lockers can be used for storage while the boat is underway on passage.

Once the main cabin is finished the forepeak will get sorted out with the remaining nails that need clinching up. Then whole of the forward end of the boat can get primed and undercoated where necessary and glossed whole over to finish it off.

Then the team will turn its attention to the galley and cooking areas to get these up to spec and sort out the lockers underneath these areas to make best use of them.

You look nearly done, and then you make a list of what's left to do... Wooden boats!

H,

The nearly done is the best you can do with wooden boats as there is always a left to do list just round the corner. But at least this time might be able to get the boat back in the water and go for a sail this year. That depends on whether the weather gods are on my side over the next few weeks and I can get the last remaining jobs on the outside done.

After the last of the ribs are steamed in place it will have to be painted and the bottom stems cleared out and resealed and the boat can go back a float and start to take up as there a number of dried out planks that really need to swell up as the weather as been very dry over the past 2 and half years. But last time she was in the water the planks swelled up in a matter of a couple of days, so I expect the same will happen this time with a little help from a few bits of cotton sheets and sacking and a bit of water on the inside of the boat in the days leading up to the re-launch. Time will tell.

Today saw the last of the main ribs fitted in the boat with the ones in the cockpit steamed in place. All that is left to do is clench them up and that will be one of the major jobs completed. then will be the small ribs in the bow and the lower ribs in the stern to finish off.

In the cabin the bunk tops have been refitted and the water tank and the battery box and battery have been refitted and the electrics have been tested to make sure they are up and running, with these jobs done it is really looking like the boat is starting to come back together again and get one step closer to being re-launched.

The next job on the come after the ribs are finished off will be the couple of plank repairs that need doing, where old seacocks have been removed and pieces of wood are being let in to cover where these fittings have been and to sort out a split plank which was damage when old of the old ribs was being removed.

The apprentice is at present rubbing down the hull and cabin sides have to start painting and varnish the boat early next week.

So the work on the boat is coming on a pace and the boat is finally showing signs of getting finished.

One of the jobs the apprentice is going to be doing is re-varnishing the mast after it has been redress of its standing rigging, so he can get to all the parts of the mast to remove the old varnish and sand it down ready to re-varnish over the next couple of weeks.

This week has been a good week in the progress of the restoration of Mai-Star II with the last of the main ribs steamed into place. Just got to get some more copper nails over the weekend to finish off the job. Now it will be time to turn the teams attention to getting the hull sorted and watertight as well as the cabin roof and fitting the trims to the cabin sides top and bottom.

After that is done then I might tackle the forehatch that needs replacing and make one that is watertight when I get a green one over the bow when going to windward in a blow.

Another job I have got is to let in a piece of plank on the plank above the garboard which my last apprentice broke off the plank and did not think it a problem. He is no longer with me as he find out boat building was not for him and he walked away. Thats in the past, now on to the future, So now that the ribs are in and all the planks that were going to be replaced this time round, it is on to the more enjoyable parts of the restoration which after you do a few of them, the boat starts to come more back to life and look more like a vessel than a wreck with bits hanging off it in different places.

So next week it is out with the paint brushes and get some paint on the hull and get the boat a bit wet as this dry weather is playing hell on the planking as being larch it is drying out a great deal. So it a race to get her back in the water so she can take up.

Today saw the end of the last of the new ribs being clinched up and finished. That was one of the biggest jobs on the refit list and one that is finally finished. There are a few odd nails to clinch up around the boat, however the mass numbers of nails that needing doing is now at an end. So now the attention is on the smaller jobs on the refit list which will take time to sort out. However, these are smaller and easier jobs to do. The other major job that is being done, is being done by my apprentice, which is stripping and re-varnishing the mast.

One of the easier jobs to do is the cabin roof which needs recovering with epoxy resin and matting and then the new wooden trims fitted after the covering is done. One job that I will be looking forward too is the new cockpit design and the better use of space and use of under cockpit storage.

But before any of that can be done the bilge as to be painted out and then the bilge pumps and their pipes fitted. Then the new cockpit sole can be made and fitted.

While this is being done the outside and inside of the boat will be painted and varnished and then hopefully the boat will be re-launched.

The starboard side seams have been opening up with the dry weather and the length of time the boat as been out of the wat
    er.

The port side forward showing the seams starting to get refilled putty ready for the get coat of undercoat to go over the putty to stop it from drying out before the boat goes back in the water and the boat has a can to take up.

A forward facing shot of the port side with the puttying finished off with the seams between the rubbing skrate and the waterline being done.

The side on view showing the size of the job. Just got to sort out the underwater seams and get them ready to re-caulk and re-filled with putty once more.

Lot of work! No advice to give, just wanted to say I'm following, and that you're doing a great and thorough job. Well done!

Now that the major jobs are do, apart from the odd nail or two in a few places. It is now time to get on with some of the smaller jobs which have been on the back burner fro a while. One being the painting of the inside of the boat from deckhead to keel and every place in between.

One of the last big jobs to do is the rebuilding of the cockpit, but after the other major jobs on the boat it is a much smaller job to do. However, no less a challenge to do as to make the best use of the space available it which to put all the equipment needed in the cockpit and make the storage work well.

Next week it will time to continue to fill the topside hull seams and repaint the hull with more primer to go over the newly filled seams before painting the hull with its undercoat and fill and fair the hull before glossing it.

Then it will be time to make a start on caulking and filling the seams in the bottom also fitting the rest of the hardwood plugs in the old nail holes from the sister ribs that were taken out when the new ribs were fitted to replace the original broken ribs and there was no need to have the sister ribs there anymore.

At the same time the apprentice will be varnishing the toe rails and cabin sides and helping me with some of the two man jobs that I need a extra pair of hands to do. So all in all a busy week ahead,

Over the past few days, work has been coming along well with the hull seams from the waterline to deck level being refilled with linseed putty and the hull being painted with the first two coats of undercoat before a further two coats are applied over the freshly filled seams. Then a further two coats to applied before starting to do a spot of fine filling and fairing.

Also being done is the mast which has been stripped back to bare wood and sanded and re-varnished.

At last it is getting back more to its old self with a new coat of white paint

At the same time the cabin sides are getting a new fresh coat of varnish.

At last the front two port holes are refitted and sealed in place

So all in all it as been a busy week with the list of jobs getting shorter by the day.

Quite an improvement with the new topside paint. It's almost a different boat. Thanks for sharing your project with us!

Jim
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Now that the jobs on the boat are coming along as a pace the jobs are getting ticked off the refit list at a speed. however, The team has to take onboard that speed is not everything. Every so often you need to draw breath and take a minute to make sure you have not missed a small item that could trip you up later, if you have overlooked it along the way.

So at the beginning of this next week, it will be taking stock time and checking that there are no jobs that have been overlooked and double checking the jobs that have been done to ensure that nothing has been missed.

Then it will be full steam ahead to get on with the next jobs on the refit list and get the boat a few more steps closer to being launched and once again afloat where she should be.

One of the first jobs this week, will be checking that all the nails are in the new ribs and that there are no holes in the bottom that should not be there by design, Now there are a couple of bit of rib that need steaming into place around a sharp turn in the bilge where an old rib broken and is in need of replacing which as been left until now as did not have access to this part of the boat until now.

One of the team is getting on well with the painting out of the cabin and is making it look a whole lot better than it has for years. Once he has finished that he is going to turn his attention to the varnish work around the cabin and being that up to spec as well.

While he is doing that I will be getting on with repairing a spilt plank in the bottom and sorting out the caulking seams in the bottom and getting the bottom fairly watertight without over filling the seams so that when the boat goes back in the water it does not break the new ribs as the very dry planks swell up to their normal size.

Once these couple of jobs are done then we can turn attention to more of the jobs on the refit list and get every closer to the water.

Today, it was the turn of the main cabin to get its last coat of undercoat before getting its first coat of white gloss to finish off the main cabin, then it will be the turn of the fore cabin area to get the same make over. This as been done by my new apprentice, while he as been doing this work I have been working on getting the bottom of the hull sorted out and working on the caulking seams and clearing off the old anti fouling paint and getting bottom squared away. Also getting the mast drubbed down ready for its next coat of varnish, just about ten more coats to go before it is had enough to see it through to next year refit. While all this work has been going on the cockpit has been painted and it will be soon that the new cockpit sole will be made and fitted and the seats and coaming will be made and the cockpit design can fitted and the best use of the available space can be realised.

Finally got the front of the boat emptied of the bits that have been needed while the main part of the refit has been going on. Now that the main part is do or almost done the front of the boat can have the repainting it needs without anything being in the way

Cleaning out the bilge area so that it can get a fresh coat of bilge paint and the last of the copper nails can be clinched up and the rib job can be finally tick off the refit list.

A great of bilge paint needed here to cover up the bare patch and give it at least three coats of bilge paint before the new ballast is fitted later after the boat is re-launched to being it down to its lines.

Another job that needed doing was to paint the floorboards with bilge paint on the bottoms of the boards and then anti-slip paint on the top.

The cabin floorboards after three coats of anti-slip paint ready for them going back into the boat when the painting of the cabin is complete.

Last edited by jstarboats; 07-10-2015 at 03:24 AM.

A start as been made on painting the bilge area of the cockpit so that the new cockpit sole can be made and fitted so that the new cockpit seats can be made and the cockpit coamings can be made and fitted.

A bit of painting to be done in the cockpit, but once done it will be lighter in the cockpit and the lockers that will build into the areas under the seats and the decks for storage of items needed in the cockpit and on deck.

Aft looking view of the cockpit sides showing in a better shape after a fresh coat of paint as been applied.

First coat of Mediterranean White gloss on the hull just two more to go before this is finished and the toe rails and rubbing strakes can be varnished and the cabin sides are varnished and the cabin roof is sealed under a layer of epoxy resin and matting and a coat of anti-slip paint.

In the back ground is the boat's mast getting its second coat of varnish, so that job is coming along well along side the work in the boat.
    Last edited by jstarboats; 07-10-2015 at 03:26 AM.

The cabin/cockpit bulkheads getting a fresh coat of undercoat ready for its final two coats of white gloss.

Hi folks,
    work as come to a stop for a while I recover from a major leg injury while working on the boat. So now I will have to do some bench work for making some of the interior fittings which I was leave to a later date which now I can get on with while the apprentice gets on with the work I was planning to do.

Sorry to hear about you injury...what happened? Hope you heal up ok.
    Good to know you'll keep at it in some way.

You take care, don't over do it till you mend.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Hi Folks,
    i took a fall off my boat ladder and badly injured my calf muscule so not climbing any ladders for a while. So a lot of bench wood work for a while. So I will be able to make some boat toys and other bits for the boat. While am in recovery, so there will not be much downtime on the boat front as when the boat is done it will be good to get out on her for a sail.

Hi Simon,

sorry to hear about your fall, wishing you a speedy recovery.

I`m very much looking forward to seeing Mai-StarII and the Enterprise back in the water, you`re doing a great job!

Greetings from Germany,

Alan.

Hi Alan ,
    thanks for your best wishes for my speedy recovery. The Enterprise will get some work done on it as it is just outside the work and the work on it is straightforward and I can supervise my apprentice to do the main part of the work. The surgeon stays I will out of commission on getting up and down ladders for about 8 to 10 weeks but much of the work on Mai-Star II inside is just painting apart from cockpit which with a bit of guidance the apprentice can do. But at least I am out of bed and on the road to recovery.

Hi Folks,
    Back on my feet at last, however, only for short periods at the moment has my leg muscles get stronger which will take time. But I am back and I can give out order to my worker so he can do the work while I can not stand up for long at the moment. This will be good practice for me to let go from doing too much work myself when you have someone younger who can do the work for you and in some cases better and quicker than you can do it yourself. At least I am back and can start to plan for the future and start to make start on the boat soon.

Starting my first part time working day tomorrow to see how I get on with stepping up gear back to work. So it going to be god to get back to work and get through the to do lists that have growing by the day. If all goes well, I will be back on the road to full time working by the end of next week..