Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The second restoration of Mai-Star II

Sounds like a lot of fun! Do you have pictures?

Default Re: The second restoration of Mai-Star II

All in a days' work down at the boatyard Shoring up the planking to get it back and keep it in place while refitting the new ribs in the port side where the ribs were all broken on the turn of the bilge.
    [IMG]https://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-6JiZlTioxfs%2FU2CROJn_sbI%2FAAAAAAAADNQ%2F4GlZjHsn 4qQ%2Fs1600%2F20140429_143809.jpg&container=blogge r&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*[/IMG]

Burned the paint off the transom to find there is a lot of work to be carried out at the edges of the transom and along the top.

[IMG]https://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-5Luw-sqG1t0%2FU2CRVulx7PI%2FAAAAAAAADNY%2FpB3ti829DlI%2 Fs1600%2F20140429_143842.jpg&container=blogger&gad get=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*[/IMG]Finally got the second plank steamed on to the boat after the first one was found to be faulty and having to wait for a new piece of wood and the time to steam in on the boat.

[IMG]https://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-V6mOfjEkT_s%2FU2CRbriH41I%2FAAAAAAAADNg%2FGrGvNDKr PCg%2Fs1600%2F20140429_160113.jpg&container=blogge r&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*[/IMG]

The cabin sides are finally in place and glued and screwed in place and putting a few homely pieces on the cabinsides.

[IMG]https://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-59ZkBNB6LoQ%2FU2CRgynVsiI%2FAAAAAAAADNo%2FsUwk_L4L Reo%2Fs1600%2F20140429_144106.jpg&container=blogge r&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*[/IMG]

The front of the boat is now the tool store while doing the work on the boat.

[IMG]https://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-zY7RYsGt3SM%2FU2CRmDZdSLI%2FAAAAAAAADNw%2FpYJ0gnOX x6U%2Fs1600%2F20140429_144132.jpg&container=blogge r&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*[/IMG]

The steambox in position ready to steam both the plank in place and also the new ribs as well.

[IMG]https://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-f00snEmnbAY%2FU2CRscqImFI%2FAAAAAAAADN4%2FFz1zpyHI Cn8%2Fs1600%2Ffoursquare_photo_tmp.jpg&container=b logger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*[/IMG]

Getting to grips with putting the new roof on the cabin.

After a week of other work needing to be done and the weather getting unsettled. It is now time to get to grips with putting the new roof on the cabin and fixing the new two layer cabin roof. The first part will be made up of 5/8" T & G which will be glued and screwed to the deck beams and then the upper side of this will be filled and faired. Then the outer layer of marine plywood will be then glued and fixed to the inner layer and then this will be then covered in matting which will be fixed/glued in place by epoxy resin which will in turn be painted with anti-slip paint. While this is getting underway the cabin interior will be sorted out to make space to put the forecabin pipecot in for my son.

Also other jobs underway are the sorting out of the galley and sink areas and the making of a small navigation area to do the navigation work while underway.

The present galley area with the non gimballed stove

The present sink area

The start of the new navigation area with the 12 volts sockets in place

The ship's mascot Sasha keeping a weather eye on the refit .

Nice work you've got going there.
    Looking at the photos, I see that Sasha the mascot is leaning on what appears to be a steel mast tabernacle. Another shot shows it and also a compression post underneath. Do you know what the original mast configuration was and, also, what rig does the boat have? I had a tabernacle on one of my boats and it was great.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Nice work you've got going there.
    Looking at the photos, I see that Sasha the mascot is leaning on what appears to be a steel mast tabernacle. Another shot shows it and also a compression post underneath. Do you know what the original mast configuration was and, also, what rig does the boat have? I had a tabernacle on one of my boats and it was great.
    Hi Rich,
    The boat originally had a keel stepped mast in the past, sometime in the 1980's it was changed to a deck stepped mast, I am not a where of when exactly as Gadfly II when off the OGA database at about this time. But having been in contact with two of her former owners from the 1960's she still had her keel stepped mast in this time. The is a Gaff cutter with a topsail for use in light airs. I hope to sail to Holland later in the year and it will come in useful for going through the canal system.

Regards
    Simon P

It looks a lot like my mast tabernacle. And yes it will come in handy in Holland,, that's why I bought mine and kept the Tabernacle. You'll need some shears to lower the mast too.

if you happen to go cross the channel, I fould love to have a look at your beautiful ship.

Hi Lutine,
    When I do come across the channel where about are you, so I can contact you to arrange a time and place to meet up and show you my fine vessel. This weekend I was able to make up the first layer of the cabin roof, so that my family and I were able to spent our first night back onboard our yacht for the first time in over 2 years and it felt good to be able to do it again.

The first part of the roof now made just got to get the other part made up.

The first part of the roof made up on the cabin, just got to buy the T&G to put under this marine plywood outer layer, so the inside looks like did originally but without the problems of leaking as it expands and contracts in the heat and moisture.

View out over the transom of the boat. In the distance it is Ipswich.

Another photo with a view forward Ipswich Docks.

The Mai-Star II's tender now back in the water so at least can go out on the river for short trips again after working on Mai-Star II

The Blue boat in the middle of this photo is a sister ship to the one I did my first Bay of Biscay crossing back in the early 1990's and there as been a lot of adventures since and more to come I hope.

Hi Folks, Had a bit of work to do on other people's boats over the past week, however I did get some work done on Mai-Star II this week. Mainly the inner roof is now in place and the outer roof is now glued to the inner roof. Just got to get a dry couple of days and then will be able to cover and seal the outer roof with matting and epoxy resin and once and for all seal the cabin roof.

One of the problem that comes with old age on old wooden boats is when either the screws break off in the stem or the nails which fix the planks on to the stem come loose. Investigating this problem on the plank ends on both the port and starboard sides of the stem.

One of the first jobs to do is to rake out the old putty and caulking cotton in the seams and then expose the fixings in the plank ends where they are fixed to the stem and see which the boat has got and then decide which course of action to take.

The job is to get all the effected planks back into position and stop the leak on the stem at the same time.

Making a start on the starboard side

Port side about to make a start on

The new section of cabin sole is now fitted in place after someone lost the old one when the boat was being stripped out for its refit. However, it did give me a chance to change the way it was made up and made it possible to change the number of sections it was made up from, and made it easier to lift when inspecting the bilge area and clearing around the bilge pumps.
    The piece in behind the Porta loo is going to be fixed down with the section under the loo and ahead of the step into the cabin being lifting sections. The front one is for the log/ echo-sounder to make it possible to remove the transducer and the back one to check the manual and electric bilge pumps.

The seams are now all cleaned out and let the fun begin getting the old screws and nails out of the plank ends

The port side is not as bad as the starboard side, but there are a few nails that need to come out as well as a few screws that need replacing with new bronze screws.

The starboard side is in need of some serious work as the plank ends are in a poor condition and will need some work to make them good.

Here is a close up photo of the problem, the screws and nails have either broken off in the planks or sub standard one have been fitted and in some cases a mixture of iron nails and brass screws.

An even more close up photo showing the problem

Also some work needed at the other end with a few small cracks in the transom

both on the starboard and port sides.

Making a new box for the New switch panel for the boat.

The new switch panel ready to go in the box once it is finished and shaped up to fit and then take to the boat to fit to bulkhead.

The first two port holes dry fitted on the starboard side

The two on the port side done as well and now just the two front ones to do.

The stem is now cleaned out and the fixing are removed and it is a matter of cleaning out the inside behind the plank ends from inside and the refitting them to the stem with fresh screws and sealant to make it watertight again.

Those plank ends look salvageable except for the worst one. How about a very small scarfed piece just at the end. You would have to countersink the screws very very slightly in order to not go through, but it would hold the end in tight.

Do you have any pictures of the entire boat? It looks interesting.
    Fish and ships or is that chips

Hi Shade,

I am about to start on sorting out the plank end. In the end I have decided to scarf a number of short planks in and that way keep the strength in the planking. It has been a source of a leak for a number of years and I am going to sort out the rest by refixing the other planks on the hood ends. That way it will be safer in the long term.

Regards

Simon P

Hi folks and fellow boaters,

Yesterday was a productive day as I was able to get the streaming box set up and was able to stream some more ribs on the boat. I did in a different way to most people as working by myself I could not stream them in place on the inside of the boat. So I stream them round the outside of the boat in the position they would be on the inside. It worked reasonable well with just a couple breaking and the rest of them. Six of them work and when they are cooled off I will be able to fit them in position. Just need someone to help nail them in place when they are fitted in position in the boat. Another job that got sorted out was the last two wooden dowels were glued in the cabin sides so now I can sand the sides down and start varnishing the cabin sides and start getting the side looking more like it should do.

It as got to that time of year again when the weather turns for the worse, but may stop the outside work for a while, however, it will give me time to sort much of the inside jobs. Such as the new ribs to be fitted in the cabin and get the electrics sorted out. Getting the painting done in the cockpit and in the bilges and finish off the cabin sides which need varnishing and the four corner posts fitted and the roof that needs finishing off to keep the weather out.

if we do get a few good days may be able to get a few of the outside jobs done, but we will see how the winter goes

The three planks on the starboard side that were causing a number of problems with leaking water passed the stem joint

The main problem being that the fixings on the stem had given way and the ends of the planks were damaged by repeated attempts to refix the planks .

The three planks have all got scarf joints cut on them so it is just a matter of making up the new short lengths of planking and refixing them in place after the old fixing holes are plugged with wooden dowels

The first two ribs refitted in place now have to nail them and the rove them.

The third rib in place and just got one left to do on that side in the cabin.

The electric circuit panel powered up and ready to fit the rest of the instrument wiring to it

Re-fixing the ends of the planks where the fixing have come loose with age or have broken

Using the small stream box to stream the short planks so that they can be twisted into shape

The of the planks to be streamed and cramped to the boat with the twist bend into it and now left to cool off.

The second plank having the same treatment and also left to cool off for a day or so and then worked on and fitted to the boat/

This side of the stem, the front of the planks were splined but it is need of sorting out as planks have moved off the stem.

This photo shows that it was not splined all the way down the stem so as put stress on some areas and not others.

Not a lot has happened to the boat over the past few weeks, but there is a bit of movement before I have to go back to work on other projects.

Because of other boat project around the country, it has not been possible to get any work done on Mai-Star II, However, now I have a couple of weeks spare time before starting back on my other projects it is time to make a start on Mai-Star II refit and get the starboard bow planks finished off and refitted and the port side planks refixed and get the bow leak stopped for good.
    Once these two jobs are finished then it will be the turn of getting the ribs cliched up and the other ribs made up and then streamed in place. Also finish off the cabin roof and get it epoxy coated with matting and then finished off with anti slip deck paint before refixing handrails and sliding cabin hatch.
    Once this jobs are done the the team can get on and sort out the cabin side port holes and finish these off and start to fit the deck trims and cabin roof trims to finish off the cabin, before starting to sort out the cockpit and re-design the layout to make better use of it.

It has been just over a month since I have able to get back to Mai-Star II, but the time has come so that I can make a fresh start on the boat and get some meaningful work done on the boat and make a good start on get some of the more pressing jobs finished off and get the boat watertight from above and below the waterline.

The main push is going to be on getting the bow planking sorted out and then the ribs on both sides and then getting the planking re-fixed to the frames where the old fastenings have gone past their sell by date and need replacing with fresh fixings. This is especially true amidships where the boat as laid on its side from time to time over the past 75 years, true when she lose her beaching legs wish she as no longer got and which I will have to make new one over the next few months.

Once the planking is sorted, then get the cabin roof finished off and sealed and covered with epoxy matting and resin before re-fixing the deck fittings and the edging trims both around the top of the cabin sides and around the bottom. and then finally get the sliding hatch reinstated. At the same time cut out the last two portholes in the front of the cabin.

So time is going to be busy down at the boatyard getting these jobs done so that the boat can get afloat this year.

I am making a start on getting back to work on the boat, however, it is a slow process at the moment as school holidays and other jobs keep getting in the way, but as you can see I am making a start with getting the last of the bow planks shaped and thicknessed to size so I can get on with it later in the week.

Starting to cut out the last of the bow planks

Planing it down to size before putting through the thicknesser

Now it is time to go back to the boat and fit it in position and then paint and caulk it and putty the seams ready to antifoul it when the rest of the boat is finished and ready to launch.

Starting to cut out one of the reefing brackets out of a piece of seasoned oak.

Starting to shape the first of the curves

The shaping all done, just got to drill the holes for the lines to go through and the fixing holes then they can go on the boom and be varnished.

Steaming the last of the bow planks on to the boat to give it a bit of perbend to make it easier to fit in the space below.

Making the parallel ruler holder and the pencil holder for the navigation area on the boat

At last a day with some sunshine so that I can get on with work on the outside of the boat. This will be a chance to get the roof of the cabin sorted out and get ready to cover the roof with matting and epoxy resin once the temperature gets high enough to make the resin go off. So It will be time to fit the last two planks of the inner roof and then fit the outer marine plywood skin.

May be able to fit the last two portholes in the front of the cabin and then that job will be finished off.

Also with a clear dry day I will be able to finish off the bow planks and get them glued and screwed and nailed in place and painted and caulked. Then go round the boat sorting out the old fixing that need replacing and propping up the planks that have moved and fix them back on to the frames where they have come away from over the years.

Nice job you`re doing, thanks for keeping us updated.

I`m really looking forward to seeing this old girl go back in her intended element...the water... and sailing again.

Greetings from Germany,

Alan.

Hi Alan,

Ihave a deadline of the 28th of May this year so I have to get my running shoes on to get there.
    Regards
    Simon

Having mark round the piece of larch final trimming up on the bandsaw

Planning down to the near to the lines ready to take to the boat

Just a matter of trimming with a plane and easing it into place and then cutting the scarph on the trailing edge and then gluing and screwing and nailing in place.

Cutting the scraph on the trailing edge
    final fitting of the final plank in the bow

All finished and primed ready to be caulked up and sealed with linseed putty.

Re-fixing the port side, so that the bow repairs are now finished off.

Put the bunk backrests in place to help break up the white hull sides a bit

Just got to put blocks at the front and aft ends to fix the ends in place.

Just got to cut out circles where the beaching legs bolts come through the hull on both sides

The new chain locker lid made up and ready to have its final fit in the boat
    Chain locker lid now in position just needs a bit of final trimming and then painting and it will be set to go.

After months of not being able to get out on the water, got the chance for a short trip on the local river.

Just got to get Mai-Star II finished off and she can be doing this as well.

The hull of Mai-Star II is started to be re-painted with its first coat of Yacht primer

Half way down the first side just another few feet to go.

first side done just the transom and then on to the another side

doing the same as the other side starting at the bow and working our way to the stern.

First coat done, just another 5 coats of primer to go before the under coat can start to be done.

The last piece of T&G fitted to the new cabin roof just a quick sanding before the upper marine plywood covering panel put in place

The final marine plywood panel screwed down in place just a bit of filling to be done on the screw holes and putting a radius around the top edge of the cabin roof to ensure the matting go over the edges fair and true and stick down without any air pockets in the material.

A good day's work and more tomorrow when I make a start cleaning the inside paint work and starting the wood work down to paint and varnish it all.

Today we got a number of the smaller jobs out of the way, jobs such as making and painting the small floorboards ahead of the sea toilet which had not been done during the last refit and painting the chain locker lid and cutting the hole for the chain to run through when hauling and lowering the chain when anchoring. Also done was the edge of the cabin roof and screwing down the joint between the two sheets of marine plywood which makes up the outer layer of the cabin side.

The cockpit inside of the hull as now got its first coat of primer and is looking a whole lot better than before, just a few more coats of primer before starting to paint the undercoat and white gloss of the inside of the hull of the cockpit.

Another job that was done was to make up the cleats to fix the ends of the cabin bunk backrests in position.

The next job in the inside of the yacht is to fix the cleats for the backrest in position and paint the floorboards in the front of the yacht as well as the chain locker lid and then get on with the nailing up of the ribs that are already in position and get on with the jobs under the bunks and make the new floorboards in the area under the bunk tops.

A good clean in the forward part of the yacht and now a lot cleaner and time to let it dry out before sanding down the hull and deck head before repainting and in places touch up bare wood.[IMG]https://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-3gNuf3P_g9o%2FVRHiKl4dRDI%2FAAAAAAAAM_k%2FqWGbBGHQ VII%2Fs1600%2F20150324_113223.jpg&container=blogge r&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*[/IMG]Ship's mascot Sasha keeping a weather eye out on the work underway.[IMG]https://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-lwTdSzbySIw%2FVRHiPr8MsrI%2FAAAAAAAAM_s%2Fp1vhOrv_ t4I%2Fs1600%2F20150324_124839.jpg&container=blogge r&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*[/IMG]The first coat of varnish on the cabin sides just a few more to go, actually a lot more to come about 12 more at least.[IMG]https://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-LyUSysomrCc%2FVRHiTLVD31I%2FAAAAAAAAM_0%2FPL_IXjM4 Igc%2Fs1600%2F20150324_160658.jpg&container=blogge r&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*[/IMG]

Starting to clean the paintwork down with washing liquid and then a bit of beach to get rid of the dirt.

A lot cleaner and time to let it dry out before sanding down the hull and deck head before repainting and in places touch up bare wood.

The first coat of varnish on the cabin sides just a few more to go, actually a lot more to come about 12 more at least.