Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The second restoration of Mai-Star II

Default The second restoration of Mai-Star II

In 2007 I find my latest boat in the back garden of an old gentleman on the banks of the River Thames in Sunbury in Middlesex UK. The yacht was in a poorly state and in need of a lot of TLC and a fair amount of money to once more get her back on the water and sailing again.

So the major work was done on it then, New main deck new bulkheads, Bunk fronts and tops new floorboards throughout, caulk the whole hull from stem to stern on every plank, remove the keel and remove the old keelbolts and have new ones made and refit the keel. Then get new sails made and new running and standing rigging. There are a lot more and the list goes on for ever. But after five years the first restoraton was finished and my family and I could start to enjoy the fruits of our labours and go sailing in our yacht.

Now it as now come round to doing the second phase of the restoration that of the cabin sides and cabin roof which were not done during the first restoration as funds were a little short, and the cabin sides and roof were not in to bad a condition at the time, but have now become a problem with a few leaks that when inspected could not sorted out without a lot of work.

So it was decided that the best course of action was to bite the bullet and remove the old 70+ years cabin side and roof and replace it anew. This is where I am at present sorting out the new timber to make the new cabin sides and roof between other jobs I have on the go at present. One being the restoration old an old 1960 Enterprise dinghy that is in need of a new hull and deck panels.

So all in all a busy winter head for me and my family and my new apprentice boat builder Tom.

Default Re: The second restoration of Mai-Star II

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I will post a few pictures later on when I have a little spare from family work.

Can anyone let me know how to post pictures on this post, as I have photos but they will not up load.

Thanks

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by jstarboats View Post
    Can anyone let me know how to post pictures on this post, as I have photos but they will not up load.

Thanks

Simon
    uh, try the FAQ?

One of the tricks is to remember to uncheck that little 'retrieve' box in the 'from URL' area where you paste your photo.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Attachment 2416
    A photo of the inside while under going the refit

When refitting or restorating old classic yachts the main hurdle is getting into the mindset of the person or people who build your classic yacht in the first place. Especially the tools and methods they employed to construct it. With Mai-Star II or as she was called when she was first launched in 1946 Gadfly II, having been started to be built in 1939. Then she was put to one side during the hostiles and once work on boat got back into full swing she was finished off. Trying to trace her history has been a bit of a minefield as many of the records from the boatyard where she was build have either been lost or destoryed at a fire at the boatyard or burned when the boatyard was closed. Either way I have been able to patch much of it from fromer owners or boatyard staff that are still a live today. This winter the second major refit is taking place with the removing of a large number of ribs on the port side from midships to the transom and a few from the starboard side in the cockpit where a number of them were doubled or even had three ribs set side by side.

Also there are a couple of planks that need replacing as these are damaged.

This is the task of this yacht restoration I have ahead of me this winter.

This photo shows that the two doubling ribs are removed as well as making a start on removing the first of a number of broken ribs down the port side a midships
    This photo shows the lower end of the ribs where there was a short doubling rib fitted where the old rib was missing.
    the doubling rib will not be renewed but a full length rib from deck to keel will be fitted.

This photo shows the two damaged planks removed with the planks edge cleaned up and just waiting for the wood to come from the timber man to get the planks and ribs back in.
    There is now a start made on the refit of Mai-Star II again and once the timber as arrived then the hull can get sorted out and the rest of the boat can be sorted and the boat got back into commission once more.

This photo is of the back of the cockpit showing how over built Mai-Star II was built in 1939 and why it as been able to last as long as it as.
    This photo shows the old nail holes plugged with hardwood plugs, which have been epoxy glued in place, also shows the two planks that have to be renewed as they have damage to the planks and shows the stern post with the putty and caulking removed and this joint will be filled with a spline as this is too large to caulk and keep sealed.
    This photo show the same problem on the starboard side and will get the same treatment
    This photo shows the port side of the cockpit with the cockpit seats removed and the aft samson posts removed, now it will be possible to get to work on the damaged planking and to renew the broken ribs.
    This photo shows another rib that as broken while the boat is out of the water, due in part to the dry weather and the boat moving.

So the work starts on putting the planks and ribs back in place.

This photo shows the first of the new planks having been steamed for about an hour is bend into position so that fitting it will be easier once it as cooled off and holds it shape.

This photo some damage to the garboard plank which happened when the apprentice was being a bit heavy handed when removing the plank above.
    This photo show the condition of the cockpit prior to it being stripped of paint and the old broken ribs are removed and the new ones fitted
    The port side is like a pin cushion with so many old nail holes from the old doubling ribs that have been removed. The outside of these holes have been plugged with hardwood plugs and it is now time to clean up the cockpit and fill the inside part of the holes and repaint the cockpit.
    This photo is of the area amidships on the port side that is getting ready to fit the new ribs once they are made and steamed and then fitted in the boat once the shape of the boat is pushed back into position.

Also today have been to the timber merchants to collect the wood for the cabin side that over the next few days will be getting them ready to gle together.

The major job of this winter's refit is the making and fitting of the new cabin sides and roof.

After many years of service the cabin sides and roof started to leak and it was seen as the best way to sort out the problem was to remove the deck and investigate the cause of the problem and see if it could be a simple job.

However, upon investigation it was found that the problem was to large to get away with a simple repair job.

So it was decided that the cabin and then the cabin sides would get removed and the whole lot would be renewed.
    This photo shows the boat with the roof and cabin sides removed, in the end it was easier than I was expecting it to be and found out why it had started to leak in the first place.
    This photo shows the port side looking aft towards the sink/galley area and shows the carlin, which the cabin side was sitting on? this is something that will not be repeated this time. as the cabin side joint was moving as it was found not to be fixed to the carlin apart from by a covering board that screwed the cabin side to the carlin.
    The same photo of the starboard side looking aft showing the same problem as the port side not real fixing between the cabin side and the carlin so making any sort of good sealing joint between to the two halfs.
    It looks like it going to be a large job, but we now have the new wood for the cabin sides and it is now a matter of gluing them together and getting them fixed in place.
    This photo is of the plywood templates that have been made to act as patterns to make the new cabvin sides.

So the next job now is to machine the egdes of the new mahogany boards and glue them together so that we can start to rebuild the cabin sides and get the new roof on and get the cabin sealed up.

Major reairs to the port side of the boat from the cockpit to the front of the main cabin.

The major repairs that are neeeded to be done on the port side of the yacht are the replacement of the two planks up aft and the ten or so ribs, of which seven of them are on the port side and three on the starboard side in the cockpit.
    This photo is of the area of the bottom where the planks need replacing and also one of the ribs as well.
    The major problem with the planking on the port side as come about because of the number of broken ribs the yacht as got down the port side especially amidships where some time in the past she took a heavy grounding and broke a number of ribs which were doubled up without pushing the boat back into shape and vleaving her with a step in the turn of the bilge. As seen in the next three photos .

On the outside of the hull will start by raking out the seams and pushing the planks back into position.

This could be a bit of a job and the seams are tight at the moment and will need the seams to be made larger to get the shape back in the turn of the bilge.

I would make those ribs twice as thick.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

The first ribs have lasted 70+ years and only broke because of old age and poor shoreing up over the years and one bad grounding she had before I became her owner. As you can see from the photos there was a pair of doubling ribs put in beside the two ribs amidships. apart from that her hull is in good condition given her age.

Hi Folks,
    Been busy in the workshop with making up the cabin sides. A long job with the router and thicknesser making the splines and the slot to glue the spline into and then finding enough sash clamps and other cramps to glue them together with. Having done that finding enough space to set them out and leave them to go off over a couple of days. Once that was done then belt sand the joints and generally make them ready to trim and fit them on the boat. At the same time in the other small varnish shed getting the other varnish work done. In the main workshop get the boom, gaff and the bowspirt varnished. Once they have enough varnish on them, say about 8 coats of varnish, then leather up the areas were there is going to bwe contact with items such as standing and running rigging. Another job I an doing is to make up a pair of outboard reefing blocks to fit to the outboard end of the boom to put the reefing lines through when reefing the main.

Once the cabin sides are back in place then it will be the turn of getting the cabin roof deck beams back into position and the fitting the new deck, which will be made up of thin T&G on the inside and a 4mm marine plywood outer skin which in turn will have a epoxy resin & cloth skin to make it water and weather tight.

Then turn my attention to the cockpit and sorting out the design of this to make best use of the available space.
    Last edited by jstarboats; 02-23-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Hi Folks, Not a lot has happened for a while as other jobs have been getting done on client's boats and so have had to put Mai-Star II on the back burner for a while. However, now that a few of the jobs on my client's boats are finished I can turn my attention to Mai-Star II again and get some work done on her. I have been doing a little work on her over the past few months, like cutting and steaming some new ribs in her and also starting to make a start on putting the cabin sides back in place. The first bit I have started to put back in place is the cabin front and this is now dry fitted in place and now just needs to be cut to size and the two cabin sides need to be fitted as well and the cabin will look more like its old self. At this time it is going to be watertight.

Just discovered you post and read also the old one. Nice honest looking boat to work on. What are her dimensions?

Hi Lutine, The boat is 22.6 feet over the deck and with its bowsprit set it is 28.6 feet overall and she is 7.6 feet in the beam and as a draft of 4 feet. She is now as she was originally build without an inboard engine. Although she as a outboard to use for moving around marinas and alike. Because of her rig she goes well in light airs, but have to reef early to keep her sailing well. At the moment she is out of the water having some major work done. 12 ribs, new cabin sides and roof and two new lengths of planking. So she is keeping me busy getting this done for the new season which is almost upon us. Regards Simon P

Hi folks, now that weather is a bit drier its time to get the varnish brush out and get some more varnish on the spars and then get the new leather fitted to the wear areas. Then get down to the boatyard and get on with the cabin sides and get them back in place and so make the boat weather and water tight from above and then get the new ribs steamed into the boat. Got a few to do about 12 in total and then two lengths of planking. Then the fun starts with hours of painting and varnishing.

The boat is 75 years old this year and this is the second major refit she as had in my ownership the first being getting her afloat three years ago after she had been out of the water for over 12 years. The first refit got her into a semi sailing condition and gave her a chance to settle down before getting her out of the water and finishing off the work on the hull and get the cabin side replaced as these had seen better days and leaked. Now comes the job of putting her back together once more and getting into a good condition so that I can cruise and racing her round the local area once more.

Regards

Simon P

Quote Originally Posted by jstarboats View Post
    Hi Lutine, The boat is 22.6 feet over the deck and with its bowsprit set it is 28.6 feet overall and she is 7.6 feet in the beam and as a draft of 4 feet.
    That's interesting! My boat comes quite close to yours in hull shape, length and beam, only mine has a draft of 5 ft 6in. Allthough its history is cladded in mist, it cannot be a sistership, as the inside shows mine used to be an open boat with a mizzen on an outrigger. I'm interested to know how you found the original builder. Was there any indication on the boat itself?

Hi Lutine, The way I found out about the original builder of the boat was to put a letter in the Classic boat magazine and on the wooden boat forum and also contact the old gaffer association. Thankfully out three had parts of its history. As to any indication of the builder, that is a little more difficult. But the many bit of general building methods was that all the ones like mine boat have is that they are build with two ribs in between a grown frame. They have an offset fore hatch to starboard on the foredeck. All the gadfly's were build between 1930 and 1950 I hope this helps.

Getting the cabin sides back in place and other jobs.

Yesterday I started to get the new cabin sides back into position and start to make the boat look more like its old self. The only difference this time is that the cabin sides are made out of mahogany and not larch like the first set. Also they are going to be put in by screwing them to the carlins and not like before fitted on top of the side decks. So that now the cabin sides have a fighting chance of sealing and not leaking this time, also the cabin sides and the roof beams are going to be fixed in a way so they stay fixed together and not come apart as has happened in the past. Once the cabin sides are back in place the deck beams will be fitted and the roof will be made up. this time it will be a T&G on the inside face and then covered with a sheet of 4 mm marine plywood which in turn will be covered with epoxy matting. This way there should be little or chance for any leaks from the cabin roof in the future.

Another job at the moment is getting the planks back in the bottom as well as getting the new ribs put back in the boat and then be able to sort out the interior refit of the boat and get on with the outside paint work and varnishing the toe rails and rubbing skates.

The first of jobs are underway on the boat.

Last week was a bit of a hit and miss affair, got some jobs done and other got partly done as the oak spilt along the grain and would not bend into the correct shape, so that job was a bit problematic. However, the first part of the cabin sides was first fitted into position and was marked to be trimmed later and then machined at the ends ready to have the other cabin sides fitted to it. So at least some work got done on the boat before I got a bad cold that knocked me for six and laid me up for the rest of the week. Over the next few days I should be able to get back on with sorting out the jobs on the boat and first to make in roads into getting some of the jobs sorted on the refit list namely the cabin sides and the two planks in the bottom on the port side and also getting rid of the corner that appeared on the port side amidships with the broken ribs. So it is going to be a bit of pushing the boat back into position with blocks of wood and jacks and wedges and then refitting the new ribs back in the boat and so the boat takes up its correct shape once more.

This next week should see the cabin sides back in place after a few repairs to the decks and then a lot of work cutting joints on the ends of the cabin sides to make them fit and the start to fit the deck beams while at the same time get the rest of the new ribs in place and the two planks put back in the bottom.

Busy week ahead

This week's job list includes getting the hull of Mai-Star II cleaned back to bare wood and then the ribs fitted and then the hull can be faired up. The cabin sides will get fitted and glued together after fixing to the carlins.

Once they are in fixed in place the cabin roof deck beams can be refitted and the cabin roof can be fitted which this time will be made up out of two lays. One of T& G and then covered in 4mm marine plywood and the covered in epoxy matting and then painted with anti slip deck paint.

Another job to this week is to get the new deck on the Enterprise Little Mai and get her back on the water for the summer so I can go sailing with my son at the weekends.

Busy day on Mai-Star II

A large gap between the stern post and the inner knee, most of this will go when the boat is back in the water and a couple of through bolts are put in the stern post and the two are bolted together.

The new two bilge pump outlets dry fitted.

The two outlets from the outside

The port side all back to bare wood and the started to be sanded down ready to have work done on the hull.

A head on photo before and after and showing the waterline being change as the weight in the boat is now changed.

The hull now started to be sanded back ready to have the work done on the hull.

Another busy day ahead with work to be done on the planking, namely the refastening of a number of nails on a few old ribs and a few fixing on a few of the grown frames where the planks have moved off the frames. These have made steps in the planking so it looks more like a clinker than a carvel planked hull. So with a bit of careful jacking up back into place and re-fastening it should be a lot better.
    With the help from my wife, she will be doing some burning off of the old paint on the starboard side and then some sanding on the inside. The list of jobs will soon be got through.
    Another job to be done today will be moving the filler cap for the water tank and the making of some locker bases for the cabin lockers so that more of them can be used for storage, as on any small boat this is of a short supply at the best of times and Mai-Star II is no different to any other boat.

Yesterday was a busy day with a lot done

This photo is of the first of the new planks finally in place and ready for painting and fixing in place and then starting to fix the last one in place.

This photo is of the first of the cabin sides in place and ready to be removed and the sealant put on and then fixed in place. The other side is done as well and so once they are fixed in place the front cabin side can be fitted in place and the deck beams can then be fitted and the deck can go back on.

The new cabinsides are now back in place and ready to start work on the deck beams.

This photo show the last part of the cabinsides now in place and ready to be fixed in place.

This photo shows the starboard side jointed into the cabin front.

and the port side too. Now it is a matter of getting the corner pieces cut to length and fitted to try the whole lot together.

This is a major step forward to getting the new cabin roof / deck back in place. Now that the cabin sides are back in place. It will be a matter of cutting down the cabin sides to the level of the cabin front and then fitting the deck beams back into the top of the cabin sides as they were before. But before this is done the four corner pieces have to be made up and fitted and then the whole lot will have to come out and be given a thin coat of varnish and then the corners glued together and the cabin sides will be set on sealant where it is fixed to the carlins.

This has been a busy week with a number of jobs done on Mai-Star II, namely the new cabin sides going back in place and better than before. The front ends are to have teak rubbing strips fitted to cut down on the wear caused by the staysail and jib sheets rubbing against them when the boat tacks as this was always a problem with the old cabin sides. Also the deck beams are going to be fixed into the cabin sides with half dovetails which was not done before as well. The four corners of the cabin will have corner posts fitted so that the whole structure will be tried together and make it stronger than before. Next week it will be the ribs and planking to be done and then get on with the new cabin roof after the ribs are fitted in the cabin.

This next week after Easter is going to be busy again with getting the last plank in the port side and getting the ribs in the cockpit and the cabin on both the port and starboard sides. eight in the port side and five in the starboard side and then the painting will start after the last of the paint is removed off the starboard side and it is rubbed down. So all in all a busy time ahead.

Yesterday was a productive day in that it got the new cabin sides in place and finally glued and sealed in place. Also the hull on the starboard side was finally had all the paint removed and the hull sanded back to bare wood and one of the original scribed waterlines was find two and half inched below what was the one that was found before.

Having found this waterline the paint was stripped down to this mark, The one I was using appears to be one the was marked into the boats' hull when the engine was fitted and seeing as this is no longer going to be there the waterline is now being lowered to its original position.

The new cabin sides are this time fixed in a way that the original one should have been fitted. That is to say fixed to the carlins and not sitting on the side decks and then screwed to a covering board which itself was fixed to the carlin. The problem with the first way was when people moved down the side deck the joint between the side deck and the cabin side would move and the whole joint would leak. At least time the chances are it will not happen.

The next job on the list of boat jobs is to put back the ribs that are missing and put the final plank in the bottom on the port side. Then fit the deck beams on to the cabin sides and then fit the cabin roof so it to will appear as a old fashion roof from the inside , however from the outside it will be a modern roof made from a sheet of marine plywood which will be sheaved in epoxy matting and epoxy making a very strong roof.

So all in all it as been a good weeks' work on the boat and now there is a light at the end of the tunnel and a finishing line that appears to be sight.