Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heydon
    • Oct 2013

Dunham and Timkin 26' Wooden Sailboat Needing Some Help

This is my first time posting on this forum so please go easy on me, I am a rookie here. I have some experience with wooden boats I have built a 15' CLC Skerry and my previous boat was a 35' Sea Skiff. But now I am venturing into uncharted waters for myself. I just picked up a 1951 26' Dunham and Timkin Sailboat. She came with everything I you need to sail her with and some stuff you don't need like some rot on her keel. She arrived yesterday and I unpacked everything and today I figured I would get to work on her. I started on the port side at the bottom of the keel and removed two planks because they were loose and wouldn't sit correct on the stem. And it is also the only part of the boat that needs any kind of work, the decks and everything above the water line is almost like the day she was built, no rot or anything. So I have removed the two lowest planks and I'm a little concerned for what I have found. The boat has had the planks re-secured a couple of times in her life. I'm thinking that the frames will need to be replaced? I know you guys love pictures but it says my file size is too large but I have them on photo bucket and I can't make the file size any smaller. So there will be a link to the photo album at the end here. If someone could please take a look at the pictures in the album and have some ideas or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to make her seaworthy again, she was built not too far from me in Mystic, CT and she has sailed to the Virgin Islands and to Bermuda, she has a unique design being a hollow keel with the massive deadweight on the bottom of the keel. Thanks for any help you might be able to give. I have learned a lot from all of you over the years enough to make me want to venture and give this project a try.

• DavidC
    • Nov 2007

Re: Dunham and Timkin 26' Wooden Sailboat Needing Some Help

Comment

• DavidC
      • Nov 2007

Comment

• wizbang 13
        • Oct 2009

Comment

• wizbang 13
          • Oct 2009

Looks like she has a fastening corrosion issue.
          Is that 5200 or sika goo on the gbd?

Comment

• wizbang 13
            • Oct 2009

Comment

• wizbang 13
              • Oct 2009

Electrolysis / corrosion
              The iron keel is very rusty . It is fairly easy to keep an iron keel clean , rust free , so , to see this much thick rust....
              Those keel bolts are going to need checking . At least a few should come out to check them . They may be "hour glassed" at the seam , in which case they will need re newing .
              I do not see any "rot" per se , but corroded wood . Fuzzy, dry, cracked. This wood may respond well to cpes and epoxy .
              The screws look red, fuzzy , broken , and corroded . They may all be like that under the water.
              You have her in a great spot , on a nice cradle.
              This is the kind of job / boat that I enjoy fixing .If she were mine , I might consider strip planking her .It will add mucho strength to the hollow keel , which would make me nervous at sea.
              bruce

Comment

• wizbang 13
                • Oct 2009

How are the hollow keel frames attached to the main frames?

Comment

• heydon
                  • Oct 2013

I'll be darned!!! How did you post those pictures like that?!?!?!? I tried for a half hour and finally gave up.

The previous owner said he sealed everything with 3M 101 Marine Sealer. Is there anyway around replacing the frames that are there? Because it does have some fastener corrosion and there are a lot of holes in there from where the planks have been refastened over the years. Are there any epoxies that are available that would make those frames strong enough to accept new fasteners? The frames are made out of White Oak.

Comment

• heydon
                    • Oct 2013

Bruce, I like the idea of strip planking her all the way down the keel. Right now she is strip planked from the water line on up. It looks as though the keel frames attach to the main frames with some gussets. Are there any epoxies that you would recommend to strengthen the frames? I see West Systems are used a lot on this forum, maybe a 105 epoxy? I am definitely going to replace the studs and nuts that are in the keel weight, I'm still trying to figure out how to lift the boat off of the weight. I was thinking some zinc plates might have helped prevent the rust on the keel weight but I'm not too sure. I have yet to find any zinc anywhere on this boat, do you think it would be wise to put a couple on it?

Comment

• wizbang 13
                      • Oct 2009

At the end of the pic posting process , there is a little check in a little box that needs to be "un checked" .
                      Sure , there are epoxies that can do most anything .But I think you need to find the extent of the damage before you get ahead of yourself with buttoning her back up .
                      My guess is she will be coming further apart, which will make frame replacement easier .
                      I feel the 3m product was a mistake from the git go .

Comment

• wizbang 13
                        • Oct 2009

Well , I'll be darned, the boat is strip planked from the wl up?!!
                        A single thick layer of strip planking on the hollow keel part will be so strong that the frames will be less important .
                        picture the first plank (in the rabbet) epoxied and fastened to the keel vertically and straight in . The connection would be stronger than the frames bolted to the floors.
                        aLSO , iF THE BOAT IS "LOCKED UP " WITH EPOXY LATER , THE CORROSION POTENTIAL GOES way DOWN . ( damn cap lock)
                        But , anyway , the bigger job here MAY be the keel/or bolts.

Comment

• heydon
                          • Oct 2013

So if I'm not mistaken you would run the strip planking vertically instead of how the current planks are arranged on there which is horizontally?

Comment

• wizbang 13
                            • Oct 2009

Oh no , same as they are now. Strip planking is much stronger than carvel , It needs less framing . I am not suggesting eliminating the framing , only that it is not a big deal , now.
                            I can't quite see how the transition from carvel to strip is done . I have never seen a boat built quite like this . Can you get s'more snaps of the rest of the inside?

Comment

• heydon
                              • Oct 2013

She is a little different lol, it seems as though it is planked all the way up until the were the hull starts to curve so only the vertical is planked and the rest is strip planked and the last plank before it curves is a big piece of Oak that was shaped. Here are some more pictures of it. I think I will strip plank it.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]I don't like how the bottom piece of wood is cracked, I think when the keel weight is off it might need to be replaced?
                              [IMG][/IMG]
                              [IMG][/IMG] This is the final piece before it switches to strip planking it is really hard to tell, I will have to remove some of the paint so it can be seen better.

Comment

Working...