Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunham and Timkin 26' Wooden Sailboat Needing Some Help

Default Dunham and Timkin 26' Wooden Sailboat Needing Some Help

This is my first time posting on this forum so please go easy on me, I am a rookie here. I have some experience with wooden boats I have built a 15' CLC Skerry and my previous boat was a 35' Sea Skiff. But now I am venturing into uncharted waters for myself. I just picked up a 1951 26' Dunham and Timkin Sailboat. She came with everything I you need to sail her with and some stuff you don't need like some rot on her keel. She arrived yesterday and I unpacked everything and today I figured I would get to work on her. I started on the port side at the bottom of the keel and removed two planks because they were loose and wouldn't sit correct on the stem. And it is also the only part of the boat that needs any kind of work, the decks and everything above the water line is almost like the day she was built, no rot or anything. So I have removed the two lowest planks and I'm a little concerned for what I have found. The boat has had the planks re-secured a couple of times in her life. I'm thinking that the frames will need to be replaced? I know you guys love pictures but it says my file size is too large but I have them on photo bucket and I can't make the file size any smaller. So there will be a link to the photo album at the end here. If someone could please take a look at the pictures in the album and have some ideas or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to make her seaworthy again, she was built not too far from me in Mystic, CT and she has sailed to the Virgin Islands and to Bermuda, she has a unique design being a hollow keel with the massive deadweight on the bottom of the keel. Thanks for any help you might be able to give. I have learned a lot from all of you over the years enough to make me want to venture and give this project a try.

http://s813.photobucket.com/user/Donny_Hayden/library/

Default Re: Dunham and Timkin 26' Wooden Sailboat Needing Some Help

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Looks like she has a fastening corrosion issue.
    Is that 5200 or sika goo on the gbd?

Electrolysis / corrosion
    The iron keel is very rusty . It is fairly easy to keep an iron keel clean , rust free , so , to see this much thick rust....
    Those keel bolts are going to need checking . At least a few should come out to check them . They may be "hour glassed" at the seam , in which case they will need re newing .
    I do not see any "rot" per se , but corroded wood . Fuzzy, dry, cracked. This wood may respond well to cpes and epoxy .
    The screws look red, fuzzy , broken , and corroded . They may all be like that under the water.
    You have her in a great spot , on a nice cradle.
    This is the kind of job / boat that I enjoy fixing .If she were mine , I might consider strip planking her .It will add mucho strength to the hollow keel , which would make me nervous at sea.
    bruce

How are the hollow keel frames attached to the main frames?

I'll be darned!!! How did you post those pictures like that?!?!?!? I tried for a half hour and finally gave up.

The previous owner said he sealed everything with 3M 101 Marine Sealer. Is there anyway around replacing the frames that are there? Because it does have some fastener corrosion and there are a lot of holes in there from where the planks have been refastened over the years. Are there any epoxies that are available that would make those frames strong enough to accept new fasteners? The frames are made out of White Oak.

Bruce, I like the idea of strip planking her all the way down the keel. Right now she is strip planked from the water line on up. It looks as though the keel frames attach to the main frames with some gussets. Are there any epoxies that you would recommend to strengthen the frames? I see West Systems are used a lot on this forum, maybe a 105 epoxy? I am definitely going to replace the studs and nuts that are in the keel weight, I'm still trying to figure out how to lift the boat off of the weight. I was thinking some zinc plates might have helped prevent the rust on the keel weight but I'm not too sure. I have yet to find any zinc anywhere on this boat, do you think it would be wise to put a couple on it?

At the end of the pic posting process , there is a little check in a little box that needs to be "un checked" .
    Sure , there are epoxies that can do most anything .But I think you need to find the extent of the damage before you get ahead of yourself with buttoning her back up .
    My guess is she will be coming further apart, which will make frame replacement easier .
    I feel the 3m product was a mistake from the git go .

Well , I'll be darned, the boat is strip planked from the wl up?!!
    A single thick layer of strip planking on the hollow keel part will be so strong that the frames will be less important .
    picture the first plank (in the rabbet) epoxied and fastened to the keel vertically and straight in . The connection would be stronger than the frames bolted to the floors.
    aLSO , iF THE BOAT IS "LOCKED UP " WITH EPOXY LATER , THE CORROSION POTENTIAL GOES way DOWN . ( damn cap lock)
    But , anyway , the bigger job here MAY be the keel/or bolts.

So if I'm not mistaken you would run the strip planking vertically instead of how the current planks are arranged on there which is horizontally?

Oh no , same as they are now. Strip planking is much stronger than carvel , It needs less framing . I am not suggesting eliminating the framing , only that it is not a big deal , now.
    I can't quite see how the transition from carvel to strip is done . I have never seen a boat built quite like this . Can you get s'more snaps of the rest of the inside?

She is a little different lol, it seems as though it is planked all the way up until the were the hull starts to curve so only the vertical is planked and the rest is strip planked and the last plank before it curves is a big piece of Oak that was shaped. Here are some more pictures of it. I think I will strip plank it.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]I don't like how the bottom piece of wood is cracked, I think when the keel weight is off it might need to be replaced?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG] This is the final piece before it switches to strip planking it is really hard to tell, I will have to remove some of the paint so it can be seen better.

Heydon, Have you determined the wood species of the planking? She looks way way worse then she is imho. Just very very dry. If she were re-fastened and missing rotted planks replaced and all new caulking seems to me would take less time then strip planking and epoxy sheathing. Was there an engine?
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...58#post3996158

Hi Denise, the planking looks to be White Cedar and the frames are White Oak(in two weeks when I get a week day off from work I will be going to Mystic Seaport to get the original boat plans for the boat). I removed those planks today and it's a good thing I went a little farther with it than I planned on I was only going to go up two planks but Bruce convinced me to check for more damage and sure enough the third plank I removed came out in a couple of pieces, I could see where it was cracked. I don't think I will be able to strip plank it upon further inspection, the very bottom plank is an integral piece to the whole boat. I'm not an engineer and don't know much about that kind of stuff but that bottom plank actually holds the bottom piece of wood that the keel weight is bolted to, to the frames. If you look at some of the pictures you can see that there is nothing holding the frames to the keel weight wood besides that plank. I'm going to do something that might help but sure won't hurt and that is to put in some wooden elbows from the frames to the keel weight wood, it will just make me feel a little better that is being held on by more than just that bottom plank, it is bolted at the stern stem and bow stem but still that is a lot of weight hanging down there.

I do have an engine that came with it and that is another problem, it is a 6 or 7hp Palmer BHW or BWH engine that does run, but it doesn't produce enough electricity to power an electric fuel pump and water pump, the previous owner said that there was something wrong with the original water pump so he put an electric pump on it and it and now the battery goes dead pretty fast. So I might try to find an original water pump for it or maybe find a newer more powerful engine for it but as you can see from the pictures there is very little room back there for anything.

What do you think about the frames? Do you think epoxy would be able to fix them?

Hi Donny! Pretty boat! Sadly, carvel plank boats need to be kept wet lest they dry out like this one. Lifting the boat off the keel 4 -6 " should not be that difficult Donny. Cutting the nuts off the bolts or splitting them needs to happen though hope you get lucky there. The keel shoe must be white oak also. no limber holes, I wonder if in some strange way it was expected to hold water in the bilge.. kinda like water ballast LOL

Plywood gussets, sister the ribs, I'm sure others with chime in too. White oak is like steel imo, the stuff is strong! Hope you find lots of bronze bolts in there.

Are you going to power wash the crud out? Bleach and or tsp too?

the more I look the more sound the "bones" look to me. unless.. are they mushy down at the bottom? The stem is bad but that's a given.

Assuming this is where the engine was?
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 10-27-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...58#post3996158

That "bottom plank" IS the keel . It is about 3 inches thick? Boats with iron or cement ballast keels do not need massive wood keels , cuz the boat is bolted TO the ballast . With lead, the wood keel needs to be stronger/ thicker/bigger , because the lead is soft, it would bend the boat . One bolts lead TO the boat .

The ballast forces are transmitted through the floor timbers and up through the frames .
    The keel bolts on your boat are between the floor timbers , not through them .
    If you decide to stay with the same construction , I would advise you to put in new frames there , they are mostly straight , and they carry a lot of strain and load of the ballast , not just hanging , but of swinging back and forth when heeled. They do much more than just hold the screws.
    If it was strip planked , the load can actually go through the planking , not so with carvel.
    I do not see why it could not be strip planked . I think you may not be understanding it yet .
    That's ok , there is a lotta stuff going on here in a short amount of time.

Denise-The frames aren't mushy at all surprisingly, just that have a lot of holes in them from previous people refastening the planks. Yes that is the picture of where the engine goes, not much in the way of room there lol. I am going to power wash it and clean it with TSP. I was wondering if sistering the frames would be a good repair, if it is I think I might do that. And I think plywood gussets would be better than wood elbows in there too. I was wondering what the correct terminology was for the wooden keel piece, the keel shoe sounds much better

Bruce-I think my misunderstanding comes from not understanding how the keel shoe attaches to the boat itself, it is about 3" or 4" thick and it goes the length of the keel and the beam of the keel. The keel weight bolts go through that keel shoe and the bolts at either end of the keel actually go thru the stems and it seems like that is the only spot where it really does bolt to the main structure of the boat. It looks like when I remove the starboard side planks and I cut the bolts that keel shoe will be left behind with the keel weight? Or I might be imagining that whole thing wrong because there is so much goop and junk in there that I can't really tell what is going on. This is why I like this forum so much because I admit I don't know much about wooden sailboats but learning from all of you who have experience is great.

this it Donny? http://www.oldmarineengine.com/histo...r/PalmerBH.htm

A small beta or yanmar may fit! I love this stuff! Wish I were there back in the day LOL
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 10-27-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Denise that is the engine! It's the Baby Husky 25 with gear. I will have to do some research on the beta and yanmar engines.

Haydon,

I too am a Dunham and Timkin owner. Like yours, my thirty six foot FLAME is carvel up to the garboards then strip planked above. She is Honduras Mahogany planked. I posted her in "Save A Classic" July and August Issue. I have put cedar strips in the carvel seams, then added a layer of plywood in a glass and epoxy matrix to the waterline. If you want a CD of her, send me a mailing address to mikewick55@yahoo.com.

Michael Wick , Can you put some pics of your boat here?
    I am fascinated by this boat and her construction.

Michael,

I can't believe there is another Dunham and Timkin owner out there! I believe the FLAME was the racing boat used by Timkin, he had one built every year or so and is the reason why he teamed up with Dunham who was the designer of the boats and Timkin bought the Mystic boat yard to have them built, at least that is the story that the owner of my boat had told me when I bought it. I will be sending you my mailing address very shortly. Does your boat have a large keel weight on it too?

Quote Originally Posted by heydon View Post
    Bruce-I think my misunderstanding comes from not understanding how the keel shoe attaches to the boat itself, it is about 3" or 4" thick and it goes the length of the keel and the beam of the keel. The keel weight bolts go through that keel shoe and the bolts at either end of the keel actually go thru the stems and it seems like that is the only spot where it really does bolt to the main structure of the boat. It looks like when I remove the starboard side planks and I cut the bolts that keel shoe will be left behind with the keel weight? Or I might be imagining that whole thing wrong because there is so much goop and junk in there that I can't really tell what is going on. This is why I like this forum so much because I admit I don't know much about wooden sailboats but learning from all of you who have experience is great.

The pieces of wood going across the keel to which the frames are bolted each have two bolts down through the keel, it is they (the floors) that attach the keel to the rest of the boat. The ballast keel is, as you say bolted to the wood keel with two bolts in each frame bay.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Nick, would they have used a tar like fabric between the iron and wood?

Nick, I think I'm begining to understand how it is being held together. That would make sense that those frames going across would have bolts going up into them. I can't see them but I bet they are there and when I lower the keel weight they bill be visible. Denise asks a good question what would they have put on the weight as a barrier?

I think that the FLOOR timbers are only bolted up to the KEEL. ( KEEL is the oak , which you are calling the "keel shoe").
    The BALLAST is bolted to the KEEL , not the FLOORS. ( the floors are the "frames "going across the KEEL)
    There may , or may not , be a GASKET of felt and tar ( I cannot see any, so I doubt there is) between the KEEL and the BALLAST. There should have been .
    The floor bolts do not appear very rusty. Are the steel or bronze? Mixing metals would be a mistake from the git go , and may explain the heavy corrosion damage.
    Nick, You know boats and you know which end is up , have you seen many boats built like this?
    bruce

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Nick, would they have used a tar like fabric between the iron and wood?
    Nick, I think I'm begining to understand how it is being held together. That would make sense that those frames going across would have bolts going up into them. I can't see them but I bet they are there and when I lower the keel weight they bill be visible. Denise asks a good question what would they have put on the weight as a barrier?
    Tarred felt is a good traditional gasket, but some builders might have used tar on its own, others read lead putty. It depends on how flat the top of the casting was when they assembled the backbone.
    Donny, if you look at your own pictures you will see the bolt ends on the top of the floors, two per floor.
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 10-28-2013 at 01:26 PM.

heydon , are you familiar with "ospho"?
    It is a brand name for phosphoris acid. I would get a gallon and start spraying it all through the floors, keel and rusty bits , sooner the better.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Nick, You know boats and you know which end is up , have you seen many boats built like this?
    bruce
    No, I have never seen this combination of construction techniques, nor have I seen a boat with such an extreme tight turn of the bilge planked down to the keel. Weird rudder shape as well.

Those wooden pieces that the keel weight bolts are going thru are actually an after thought by the previous owner. He figured it would help give everything a little more strength to have those pieces going across. I imagine they did help but most have since split in half. I am really looking forward to getting the boat plans from the Seaport on how this boat was built. I had a wooden Chris Craft and this boat is a 180 difference from that.

Bruce-Just placed the order for Ospho, should be here in a couple of days, sson as it arrives I will apply it to the keel area. Do you think once I scrape down the weight it would be a good idea to apply there too?

I still don't see much rot at all Donny, Me thinks you have a Keeper!

I think the ballast keel , the iron , has to come OFF. It is heavily scaled , so A chipping hammer and a pair of goggles , and a bottle of rum , will be the tools for that . but yes, absolutely ,wet the ballast with the ospho , over and over . The top edge of the iron , especially , needs to be cleaned and de rusted. It will bring the white color back to the oak as well . ALL that oak will love many wettings with ospho . By n by , before you start with any epoxy , the ospho remnants need to be hosed off and thoughly scrubbed out with a hose. Then dried again . but drying is free, just time.
    later, when she goes back together , epoxy coating and epoxy fairing, and a good gasket between the oak keel and iron ballast keel , will be a good recipe .
    Also , the holes through the oak keel will need some TLC . That could be running CPES in there , and actually FILLING them with epoxy and "404" , then re boring the holes .
    but again , that is to think of now , to do later.
    This is a pleasure for me to be able to "help" with your fine boat. there are few boats on the forum now that i feel qualified to help with , and helping folks with their old boats is why I come here.
    The pieces added by the PO , under the keel bolts , they are just "spacers , and yes, they spread the keel bolt load transversly across the oak keel , and are a fine idea . But they are "no big deal , as far as I can see.
    bruce

Those wooden pieces that the keel weight bolts are going thru are actually an after thought by the previous owner. He figured it would help give everything a little more strength to have those pieces going across. I imagine they did help but most have since split in half. I am really looking forward to getting the boat plans from the Seaport on how this boat was built. I had a wooden Chris Craft and this boat is a 180 difference from that.

I'm talking about those planks on edge with the three small bolts through the frame timbers. I don't think that they are what you are referring to when you talk of "Those wooden pieces that the keel weight bolts are going through are actually an after thought by the previous owner."
    Those planks on edge with the limber holes, bolted to the frame timbers with two bolts running down with their ends visible on top are called floors. Their role is to tie the timbers together, joining one side of the hull to the other, and are bolted down to the structural keel. Some of them have had additional cross pieces planted on top for some reason.

Hey Donny how about some photos of the rest of the boat? topsides cabin decks etc...

Nick, those "additional cross pieces" are the ones the PO put on to make it stronger. Like I said I am a rookie and I am learning a great deal from ALL of you and I really appreciate all of the help. Now it is making sense that the keel is actually bolted to those floors that makes me feel a lot better on how the whole thing was built. I can't believe I didn't notice those bolts going up thru the floors, next time I will try using my good eye lol

Bruce-I ordered a cool tool from the Snap-On guy, it attaches to my air chisel and it has about 20 steel prongs on it and it is used to remove scaly rust from frames of trucks, can't wait to give it a try this weekend. And the Ospho is on the way, I'm trying to get as much done as possible before Winter sets in. Hopefully I will be able to find some good winter projects to do on her. I read the West Systems book on restoring wooden boats and that too is helpful, I know I will be looking for some help on how exactly to fix those holes in the keel, or if there is another thread on the forum that might have that information.

Hey Denise, I will have to get those pictures this weekend, when I leave for work it is dark and when I come home it is dark But that is at the top of my to do list.

In the interest of clarity, here's some correct terms for what we are discussing. - Norm

In simple terms:

The planking is fastened to the frames,
    the frames are fastened to the floors,
    the floors are fastened to the keel, and
    the keel is fastened to the ballast.
    Last edited by outofthenorm; 10-28-2013 at 06:41 PM.

needle gun , the thing with the magic fingers .
    here is my thread on building my strip planked boat . it speaks a bit to the power and strength of strip planking . Post #7 shows the "garboard plank " fastened to the keel , how I would do yours
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...tch&highlight=

More input. BTW, I would do exactly as Bruce suggests. Do it right and it will be bulletproof. I also agree that you should consider dropping the keel completely. I suspect that failing floor bolts are the cause of the failed garboards.

Norm that is great!!! When I get to work tomorrow I am going to print that out in color so I can learn it and actually be a little more educated when trying to understand what you all are talking about.

Bruce that is amazing the boat you built!!! Seeing that strip planking makes me want to strip plank my boat. When you strip plank do you use epoxy and nails or did you just fasten it with nails and then epoxy over it? That might be a good winter project for me cutting all of those strips.

Norm I went down and checked, those bolts are underneath those top floor pieces, the (well here we go again lol not knowing the correct terminology) floor that you actually walk on, rest on those top pieces. That's why I didn't understand how the whole thing was held together. Sneaky boat builder hiding things on me.

No problem Heydon. Don`t be too quick to decide on a solution. Nothing wrong with putting it back the way it was built, only stronger. - Norm

Norm I went down and checked, those bolts are underneath those top floor pieces, the (well here we go again lol not knowing the correct terminology) floor that you actually walk on, rest on those top pieces. That's why I didn't understand how the whole thing was held together. Sneaky boat builder hiding things on me.
    LOL. If those pieces on top support the cabin sole (what you might call the floor at home) they are called stringers or cross-beams or .... something else that I`ve forgotten

thank you donny .
    Do not pre cut any strips . They might be made a bit too thin or a bit too thick . Ripping planks is just a short job on the table saw. But collecting a few hundred board feet of suitable wood would be good.
    The planks are dry fit , one at a time , clamped in place , then holes drilled. a pencil "strike up mark" is made . The plank is taken off and 'buttered ' with WEST and 404 fillers . The plank is carefully set back to the strike up mark , and clamped back into place , then the nails are driven . Then a putty knife is employed to push back any smoosh out or squeeze out and clean up. They do not need to be "mashed " down hard . gap in epoxy is good . The vertical nails act to make the planking much , much stronger , akin to putting rebar in cement . This is a fundamental difference between "strip built" (canoes and small craft) and "strip planked . the vertical fastenings .
    Consider that if you strip plank the bottom part of your boat , the bottom will be easy , but the "marriage " to the hull will be a small challenge .
    I think I would work a bit up from the bottom , then a bit down from the top , "marrying" the planking in the middle , toe nailing them .
    But , again , just thinking aloud for now.

Mandurah, Western Oz....or Wongawallan Qld......or....er..somewhere in-between

What a fascinating boat!!! I'll be watching this with interest and paying attention to the solutions you come up with.

Re dropping the keel, do yourself a favour and get it sandblasted or shot blasted, then fair and prime it so that it can then sit and wait until you are ready to put it back on …..either hire a sandblaster and do it yourself or chuck it in a trailer and pay someone to do it. A needle gun will do the trick but sand blasting/shot blasting will do it better and it'd be a good job to palm off to a shop to allow you to get on with work on the boat.
    Larks

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind.... don't matter."

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Mandurah, Western Oz....or Wongawallan Qld......or....er..somewhere in-between

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    thank you donny .
    Do not pre cut any strips . They might be made a bit too thin or a bit too thick . Ripping planks is just a short job on the table saw. But collecting a few hundred board feet of suitable wood would be good.
    The planks are dry fit , one at a time , clamped in place , then holes drilled. a pencil "strike up mark" is made . The plank is taken off and 'buttered ' with WEST and 404 fillers . The plank is carefully set back to the strike up mark , and clamped back into place , then the nails are driven . Then a putty knife is employed to push back any smoosh out or squeeze out and clean up. They do not need to be "mashed " down hard . gap in epoxy is good . The vertical nails act to make the planking much , much stronger , akin to putting rebar in cement . This is a fundamental difference between "strip built" (canoes and small craft) and "strip planked . the vertical fastenings .
    Consider that if you strip plank the bottom part of your boat , the bottom will be easy , but the "marriage " to the hull will be a small challenge .
    I think I would work a bit up from the bottom , then a bit down from the top , "marrying" the planking in the middle , toe nailing them .
    But , again , just thinking aloud for now.
    Bruce, you wouldn't continue the strip planking all the way up overlapping the glue joins of the old strips? Perhaps gradually going to thinner strips once you've passed the join? I'm thinking that with the age of the hull there may be a chance that some of the glue lines may have failed by now anyway, or be close to it.

What about splining the seams prior to strip planking as Michael Wick has done to provide a stronger monocoque type substrate to the strip planking below the water line?

Heydon, re all of the nail holes, perhaps gut some pegs and plug them where the frames are still solid enough to not warrant replacing. I cut square tapered plugs on the band saw (per a James McMullen recommendation that I can't find the link to) and they worked well:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-rebuild/page8
    Larks

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind.... don't matter."

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I suppose I would check to see that the strip planked part of the original boat is vertically fastened.
    If she is , then i would not fret over some glue lines opening up . If she is not , well , I would be surprised if she is not .
    a strong glue and mechanical connection to the keel rabbet and the "inside chine " , or whatever we are going to call it , toe nailed somewhere in the center, that looks good in my mind eye , for now of course.
    2 layers of dynel for the whole boat , and CPES for the inside , but lets not scare Donny too badly this early on haha .
    bruce