Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 89

Thread: My winter projects for this winter.

Default Re: My winter projects for this winter.

Having got the lower half of this MerCruiser outdrive unit it was in a sorry state

Full of dirt and other rubbish

After undoing the bolts and nuts holding down the water pump upper housing found the root cause of the engine cooling problem, the water pump impeller totally U/S little or no blades left behind

Even the upper housing is U/S as it got hot and as mis-formed itself and so as the lower plate

Now got the new parts on order should be up and running again

Had an away day in Kent, fitting a new set of Windows and seals in a Hardy Family Pilot, In my job you can get called to do jobs all around the country. One it could be Kent like today. Other times I have been asked to go to Scotland before now to sort out boat repairs. So I am truly nationwide when it comes to doing boat repairs and restorations having been in the marine industry for over forty five years , there is not much I have not come across and have been able to repair or restore. Long may it continue, I always like a daily challenge from every it comes. It keeps your mind active.

The condition of the impeller when the leg was removed from the boat, one melted and misshaped impeller

The boat getting a quick wash down before going back to its owner

Just be getting a wash and polish

It got a small auxiliary outboard for getting into small spaces

The engine leg back on the upper outdrive unit this was a challenging job

`

First shape the moulding pattern to fit and then cut the moulded baffle plate

The moulded baffle plate released from the plywood panel

The baffle plate cut to fit the inside faces of the tank

The top panel released from the moulding panel and ready to cut to size and shape

The pattern being used to make the pattern the correct size and shape before cutting the panel. I cut the inspection hatch holes to be able to fit the top in the correct place once it is cut to size.

First stage of fitting the baffle plate in the water tank

Having set up the position of the baffle plate in the water tank it was time to sand down the faces of the baffle plate and the water tank face where the baffle plate is going to be fibreglassed in position

The next job was to mix up some epoxy resin with filler powder into a thick paste

Then spread it so it makes a radius at the base of the baffle plate so that the fibreglass can go round the radius curve and adhere correctly to both faces

The Enterprise dinghy to get spruced up ready the sailing season, along side the Enterprise dinghy is the Mai Star Class dinghy which needs a sprucing up has well, The Mai Star Class dinghy also need to have a mast and boom and gaff making along with a rudder and tiller. Then it5 will be ready to go sailing as well.

Another job awaiting restarting is the Cornish Crabber which had to be stopped over the winter and spring as the cover was destroyed in the winter gales and I am awaiting a replacement cover to arrive so that the cover can go back over the boat so the work can be started and the beams can be fitted and the refit can continue.

Some of thepartsd out of the boat that need sorting and repairing as necessary

The Morgan Giles 30 hull painting to continue doing with more layers of Hi-Build Epoxy Primer until the hull is fair and ready to paint its final orange paint

The deck fairing to continue until it is fair and ready to get painted with Hi-Build epoxy primer and then a deck non slip covering

This pilot 14 is getting a overall colour change to be yellow all over

This former sailing whaler, which for a time was a lady's rowing gig is now being converted into a motor launch for its latest owner to explore the local rivers and estuaries around North Essex.

These have all been long term projects which hopefully will be coming to a close in the near future and so to make room for further projects to come into the yard.

First job was to mark off the waterline before starting painting the white undercoat

It a large area when you have to paint the whole of the hull and the superstructure

Just about halfway round and it is looking better, when this is done leave for a couple of days and then paint the yellow gloss paint

The superstructure finished off

Now back to where I started. Just got to wait for the paint to dry.