Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 67

Thread: My winter projects for this winter.

Default Re: My winter projects for this winter.

Sorting out the fuel tank position in the bow. The locker was the original bow seat which will now be the base for the fuel tank. There should be enough fall to the injector pump on the engine for the engine to be gravity fed.

Once it is braced in position, then a deck beam will be made and a small foredeck will be fitted to cover the fuel tank and for the filler to be fitted.

The last of the floor bearers to be bedded on to the hull and then fibreglassed into position. The floor bearer behind this floor bearer will be fixed to the aft bulkhead

The spline curved into position to pattern up the shape of the top of the locker / seat and give an impression of the size and shape it needs to be

A photo of the shape looking aft showing it is going to be a good size for a seat and a locker for storing fenders and warps

The old floor boards cut to a size which will be large enough to fit the engine in its final position when it is bolted in position

The last three floor bearers getting glassed in position.

Once they all have the correct layers of fibreglass then the lockers will be made up to run down both sides

After the floor bearers are done the aft locker /seat will have the beams made up and the new lids will be made

Having made a start the last time as was up at Chance. I have made inroads into reducing the weight within the boat by removing the paneling from both ends of the boat which was stopping air circulating around the inside of the hull.
    This dismantling job as high lighted the position of the original aft cabin berths and also in the fore cabin the position of the forward heads in the fore cabin with its single berth.
    It would appear that the fore cabin was laid out as a single crew cabin with its own fore hatch and ladder.
    After removing the modern berth arrangement in the aft cabin it appears that this cabin had to single berths and a small chest of drawers or a double berth to starboard and a small settee to port. When I am able to get hold of a set of plans for Chance I will be able to be sure of her lay out and put her back the way she was originally build.
    The largest job to come is the removal of the engines out of the boat. At present there is no visible way of getting the engines out of the boat other than removing the wheel house roof and craning them out that way. So when the time comes it is going to be a major job in its own right to remove her engine.
    Once the engines are removed then I will be able to remove the fuel and water tanks which from dipping the tanks will need replacing with new tanks.
    Once all the loose gear is off the boat it will be possible to transport her down to my Boatyard in Essex to continue the restoration.

Having made a start the last time as was up at Chance. I have made inroads into reducing the weight within the boat by removing the paneling from both ends of the boat which was stopping air circulating around the inside of the hull. This dismantling job as high lighted the position of the original aft cabin berths and also in the fore cabin the position of the forward heads in the fore cabin with its single berth. It would appear that the fore cabin was laid out as a single crew cabin with its own fore hatch and ladder. After removing the modern berth arrangement in the aft cabin it appears that this cabin had to single berths and a small chest of drawers or a double berth to starboard and a small settee to port. When I am able to get hold of a set of plans for Chance I will be able to be sure of her lay out and put her back the way she was originally build. The largest job to come is the removal of the engines out of the boat. At present there is no visible way of getting the engines out of the boat other than removing the wheel house roof and craning them out that way. So when the time comes it is going to be a major job in its own right to remove her engine. Once the engines are removed then I will be able to remove the fuel and water tanks which from dipping the tanks will need replacing with new tanks. Next Time at Chance I will take photos of the engine compartment and the work needed to get the engines and tanks out of the boatOnce all the loose gear is off the boat it will be possible to transport her down to my Boatyard in Essex to continue the restoration.

Now that the aft bench bulkhead has been fibreglassed in place, it is time to make a start on building the framework for the side benches. Fitting the upper rail to the same curve as the side of the hull as requested by the owner has he wishes to keep the same curves throughout the inside of the boat.

Clamping down the second rail into position and marking out the width and depth the aft end of the rail needs to be set in position and the same at the forward end

The forward end will have a block fixed to the thwart on its aft face and a cutout made to fix the forward end in place.

Once these rails are in position then the lower rails will be made and fixed in position and the vertical posts with be made to fit between the upper and lower rails to give the framework its strength and the plywood panels will have some where to be fixed too.

Now that all the old rotten plywood is removed it is just a matter of cutting back the old fibreglass matting and grind the hull flat again and working out the height of the fuel tank and glassing supports for the base of the fuel tank and then glassing in a couple of supports to hold down the fuel tank below the new foredeck Before any work is done we have to insect the inner apron to see if it needs replacing The port side as a thwart support that goes to the bow however the starboard support is missing The starboard support rail is missing as is therail all the way along the starboard side.

Now that all the old rotten plywood is removed it is just a matter of cutting back the old fibreglass matting and grind the hull flat again and working out the height of the fuel tank and glassing supports for the base of the fuel tank and then glassing in a couple of supports to hold down the fuel tank below the new foredeck

Before any work is done we have to insect the inner apron to see if it needs replacing

The port side as a thwart support that goes to the bow however the starboard support is missing

The starboard support rail is missing as is therail all the way along the starboard side.

All the old rotten plywood removed and just the fibreglass matting to remove and the clean up the area

Cutting back the fibreglass matting with a diamond edge multi tool blade to cut it back as close to the hull as possible to cut down on the amount of grinding needed to flat the surface back to the original hull surface.

All the fibreglass matting removed and ground back to the hull

Time to sort out the missing starboard seat stringer that needs to be replaced to support the two remain thwarts

Hi folks,Back to work after seems like a long time, I know it as only been a couple of weeks, however, it feels longer because of what when on between leaving to go on a part working holiday and family holiday. the first part was straightforward. Going to Chance as often as possible, first part of the plan, that when okay. it is not always easy as this last two weeks as shown. About a month ago, I was able to buy a caravan to live in while up in the north West of England where Chance is presently in storage and in a condition that it is not suitable to move in her present condition. So to make things easier I bought a large touring caravan. However, before I could use the caravan, I had to do a few things to the caravan to be able to tow it to be near Chance. Good plan, at first everything was going to plan, Bedding and other things needed to fit out our new home from home were sorted. Then the day we had set to go up country to where Chance is presently in Storage came around. The trip up country when well for the most part apart from the part over the Pennines, this part proved to be a major headache as the traffic on the motorway was going at about 10 to 15 mph for the best part of 8 to 10 miles. My transit van was more than capable of towing our new home from home caravan. So I thought, I spent the first four days working on Chance with the aid of my brother John who had come over from his home in Yorkshire for the four days we were planning to work on the boat. That part of the week when well and we got a fair bit done and made plans for the next time I was going to go up to work on Chance. Then the fun or not so fun part of the time up at Chance. When had found a place near to Chance to have the caravan for the time we were up there and also a place to keep it when were not working on Chance and we could move the caravan between the two places when we were up working on Chance. Then the Transit developed a problem with changing gears. At first I put it down to my tiredness. However, the problem got worse until the Transit broke down going for some shopping for breakfast, little did in know that this was going to take all day to get sorted out. My wife was with me and she was able to go back to the caravan while I stayed with the Transit until the recovery man and vehicle arrived. The first recovery man came and said he was not able to fix it on the roadside, however he was able to take my wife back to our caravan to get things sorted at tat end. Then I had a long wait until the second recovery man came and he was able to recover the Transit to our caravan so that it was with the caravan. Next morning they removed the Transit to their depot and the caravan were able to put our caravan into their storage area until it will be possible for me to get up to the North West of ~England to move the caravan to its storage area that we had arrange for it to be in while not working on Chance.So with Chance all covered over with sheets to keep the weather out of the boat and the caravan sorted at the caravan site in the their storage area, it was time to say farewell to Chance for a little while. Then make the 285 mile trip back home to North Essex and back to work or so I thought. We were a day late leaving the North West and before the trip up to the North West our car was in the local garage for repairs. When I got back home I when round to the garage to ask if the car had been repaired, only to get told that an electrical problem had developed and that they were trying to resolve the problem ASAP. So the next chapter starts, had to hand back the lease car after we had made it home. The company said it should be able to find another car, but were unable to help out at this time. So then we had to find another car, this proved to be a problem as every local company we phoned did not have any available vehicles. Until at the eleven hour one local company came through and we now have a car until Thursday evening. By which time either my Transit van will be fixed or my wife's car will. As on Friday we have to go to a close friend's funeral. So I am hoping that the car problems are behind us. Then I can make fresh plans for the next time I go up to Chance to work on her .In between times it is back to my day job being a boat builder, repairing other peoples and keeping their boat in good order.

Having steamed the rails yesterday and leaving to cool over night, they held most of the steamed shape.

The next job to do was shape the backs which lay against the hull so the top edge sat level along its length. That way it has the most support on the thwarts as possible

The aft end scarfed joint to give the best possible strength

The first part of the rail held in position with props, so when I glue the joint and the back face of the support rail with thickened epoxy it will stay in position until I glass over the rail

The front rail in position, just got to put a radius on the inside edges top and bottom before gluing it in position

Hi Folks,
    This is the first time in over a week since my emergency Hernia operation I feel whole again. After the operation it has taken sometime to come to realize life is going to be a lot different from before when I did not have care too much about how hard I pushed myself to get things done by myself. This past week as given me time to think about my future, one thing that it has shown me that I can not do everything by myself. At least for the next couple of months at least while my body comes to terms with its new way of doing things.

So now I am on the lookout for a couple of young experienced boat builders to help me out in the short term and if it works out may be take over the more hands on part of the business in the long term. My main priorities around the yard are to get the work in the yard and workshop cleared. so that I can start with a clear run at the end of year ready for the new year.

Hi folks,I had a day back at the workshop today it felt good to be in and around the tools and sawdust, I miss the boat work, I feel like a fish out of water when I am not there. I did not do much in the way of heavy lifting has that is off the cards for the moment. A little light bench work sorting out small jobs I have been putting off. So now I have a chance to get them done. It is amazing how small jobs take up so much time and it appears you have done nothing fo all the time you spent doing the job. However, after you done a few it starts to clear the mess up and you can see a chance coming round from the fog.So having done a 6 hour day with the help of a good friend I feel I can make a fresh start on Monday and see how things go.

Set out the position for the fuel tank with a couple temporary beams to work out height and how far forward the tank can be positioned in the bow Just setting up a spline to check the deck camber to see how much of a camber the deck beams need to have in themThe position to the will be finalized once the tank beams are fitted along with the plywood shelf is fitted and glassed in position.

Set out the position for the fuel tank with a couple temporary beams to work out height and how far forward the tank can be positioned in the bow

Just setting up a spline to check the deck camber to see how much of a camber the deck beams need to have in them

The position to the will be finalized once the tank beams are fitted along with the plywood shelf is fitted and glassed in position.

Setting up at the right height

Make a plywood pattern to the correct shape and size to make the fuel tank base

Cut the plywood base roughly to size

The cut out the hole for the fuel tap and sump drain in the plywood base

Just a bit of trimming and the base can be fixed and fibreglassed into position

Three weeks and counting down the days until I can get back to my normal self

Next time I am up at Chance, my first job will be to continue on removing these butterfly hatches and bring them back to my workshop so that I can rebuild and restore these beautiful hatches back to their original condition and complete with their original fittings back on the opening. So far I have cut through the screws holding down the hatches to the deck.

However, the butterfly hatches are not fitted on top of the deck planking, they are screwed up through to the deck beams and through their own carlins that are set into the deck beams. So the next job will be to clean out the deck caulking around the four sides of the hatch upstands to release the sides from the deck planking and the seam compound. Then hopefully with the aid of some small oak wedges lift the hatches off of the deck beams and carlins and then off the boat. Then cover the hole that is left with a piece of plywood until it is time to refit the hatches back in their positions.

This fore cabin hatch is past being saved as it is rotten and falling to pieces as you try to remove the steel nails that somebody nailed it closed a sometime in the past.
    So, this will have to be carefully removed from the forecabin deck beams and the carlins and removed in as much as is possible in one piece and careful measurements taken to make a new hatch to the original design.

Hopefully next time I am up at Chance I will have my brother and my son and wife all helping me with jobs on the boat. There is not left to take out of the main saloon has it is only the "L" shaped port berth to expose the hull as far back as the engine room forward bulkhead and the remaining old floorboards. Then the same job to remove the starboard lockers and top to expose the hull as far back as the engine room forward bulkhead. That will be the forward end of the boat interior that will have access to the hull planking so that the work can start on sorting out which hull planking and any frames that need replacing.

Although the toilet is now out of the aft head compartment the rest of the lockers are still to be removed, so then that area will cleared of any wood in the way of getting to the hull and not being able to do repairs to the hull planking and frames or bulkheads which will possibly need replacing. The toilet compartment will be redesigned back to as much as original as possible as over the years this area as been messed about as different owners had different ideas about how to use the space.

Then comes the last major job before we set about sorting the hull out. The engine room and removing the two 1948 3.0 litre diesels which are past their working life and only produce 20 hp each. I am hoping to replace them with modern hybrid engines which are going to be more environmentally friendly. Any money made from the old engines will go into an engine fund to purchase the engines when it is time to refit the new engines in the boat.
    So all I am waiting for is the all clear to get back to the boat and restart the work on it.

Back to the Picnic boat again and fitting the fuel tank and deck beams and breasthook and quarter knees

Today saw the end of scraping the cupboard doors,locker doors and cabin doors I have presently in my workshop down in Essex. So far just one cabin door is going to need renewing as there are areas of rotten wood in the lower half of the door and it will better to source a good supply of the Mahogany that is as close as it possible to the original wood.

The next job on the doors will be to sand back the surface to original colour and then put a thin coat of varnish on the surfaces to seal the colour of the wood until it is time to varnish the doors ready to refit the door furniture and re-hang the doors in the boat.
    That job is now put to one side has I get on with the picnic boat and fitting the fuel tank in the bow and also making the foredeck beam fit into the top of the gunwales and make the new breasthook and then make up the patterns for the quarter knees. Also I will have to make up a aft deck beam like the foredeck beam to lay the new plywood aft deck which in turn will be covered in a thin layer of teak planking. The teak is recycled so no new wood is being used to make the teak covering of the fore and aft decks
    So tomorrow it will a matter of getting out the oak after I have finished making the knee patterns and then cutting and planning the oak ready to start fitting the knees into position. Then get some thin strips of mahogany to bend over my deck beam jig and glue them up to make the aft deck beam while working on the rest of the boat refit.

The foredeck beam is now fitted and also the support under the fuel tank base to which the bulkhead will be screwed once it is made

The first of the knees being cut out roughly to shape so that it can be put through the planer / thicknesser to get to its finished size

The second knee get the same treatment on the bandsaw before being put through the planer / thicknesser

Finally the breasthook

All cut and ready to be thinned down to the correct size

The stern of the boat where the quarter knees will be fitted when fitted to the gunwales and the aft trim of the boat

Setting up the deck beam jig with plastic sheet to protect the deck beam from sticking to jig when gluing it together and clamping in position

All the strips planed to thickness ready to glue together on the deck beam jig

Starting to glue up the strips with epoxy resin glue to make a very strong deck beam

All glued up and covered over to to protect the deck beam and the glue while it cures over night ready to remove to clear off the glue and then fit in position at the back of the boat.

Having cleaned up the deck beam of the glue it was then positioned on the gunwales after removing the gunwale capping to the correct position along the sides

Cutting the correct angles on the ends of the deck beam to fit into the gunwales once the gunwales have had a section cut out to fit them into so that they will be flush with the top of the gunwales

Setting the deck beam in the correct position to cut the gunwale to the correct depth to take the deck beam.

Deck beam now in position and screwed into position

Just the knees to get fitted and then the aft deck can be covered with 6 mm plywood and then a laid deck glued on top to finish the job.