Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789 LastLast

Thread: My winter projects for this winter.

Default Re: My winter projects for this winter.

Clean the deck down and then mix up the epoxy and filler powder and apply to the deck
    the foredeck

Port side side deck

Starboard side deck

Forward end of starboard side deck

Cockpit seats and aft end of side decks

Then finally the aft end of the cockpit seating area and the aft deck

Then the fun starts with the sanding down of the filler to get the deck smooth again before painting it again with a second coat of hi build epoxy primer.

The decks are getting smoother and the places that need extra filling have shown up now the first fillings have been sanded back level with the base deck level

A new tool is making the flatting off a all better as it covers a better long area and is good at flatting larger areas

Good progress being made along the side decks

The old chain locker top needs a little more filling apart from that the rest of the foredeck just a bit of fine area filling

The side deck have flatten off quiet well and just a bit of fine area filling needed in a few places

The same with the port side deck

A bit more sanding after the second filling of the areas which were not filled on the first round of filling

Just the cockpit and the aft deck to do and back to filling and fairing again, however, this time not so much filling to be done.

Now we are all looking forward t​o the new year and carrying on with the projects we put to bed for the Christmas break. It is now time to dust off the sheets and uncover the boats and get to grips with the boat job lists on the work in the workshop and out in yard. The main job at the moment that needs most of my time is sanding down the decks which were filled with epoxy filler before the Christmas break and now needs finishing off so that I can move on to the next stage on the deck repairs, which is to do the second layer of filling to get the deck to a flat and uniform shape with the correct camber.

There is other work is being done on the Morgan Giles 30 other than the epoxy filler is curing off on the decks , one major jobs is to make a custom shaped GRP water tank to fit under the new bunk in the main cabin which is a custom shape that the owner as design to make the best use of the space in the main cabin. there is going to be a fair bit of brainstorming of ideas to best workout the best way to make the plug and then make the tank to as close to the maximum size available to fit inside the space available to fit the new tank.

Some of the other jobs in the workshop that need working on, the Picnic boat and its ongoing refit which is at a stage where major parts are going into the boat, such as the plywood fronts and tops for the aft seating, an engine box surround and top, plywood sub deck which after they are laid down will have a thin mahogany laid deck glued over the sub deck which will have white seams. Other jobs on the picnic boat are to fit the fuel tank and make the aft locker into a usable space. The space under the two remain thwarts will be made into lockers as well. After the floorboards are made and fitted down in place. Then there will be the engine alignment and finish fitting the stern tube and making the keel to fit round the external part of the stern tube to protect it from damage.

Once all the work is done of the boat, it will be time to repaint the boat in the owners colours and modify the trailer to fit the new underwater design of the boat. However, that is a few months into the future before we have to think about that stage.

The another job in the workshop is the 8ft. GRP dinghy which now as the major hull repairing done. There are a number of small grp hull repairs that still need to be done before any painting of the outside of hull. Other jobs on the dinghy are to make a new aft seat/buoyancy locker, make a new centre thwart as the old thwart was missing and a new pair of gunwales and inwales and rowlock blocks to fit the new rowlocks in and finally a new pair of oars made to fit the dinghy. When the boat is finally finished off and it is painted and varnished, then the deck fittings will be fitted and then the dinghy will ready for the new season.

Other work jobs in the workshop is to do grp repairs to a Mark I Lotus Europa while its owner is working on chassis. The grp repairs are in a number of different places all over the bodywork so it is going to be interesting work.

So the first few months of the year are going to be busy.

Last edited by jstarboats; 12-29-2021 at 08:07 AM.

First day back in the New Year and the aft seating area front panels are being fitted

Cutting out the panels after the patterning up was done to ensure the front were made to fit, just a matter of transferring the marks off the pattern plywood to the marine plywood

Cutting out the individual panels as they are slightly different sizes as with boats the two sides are not always the same size and shape

Temporarily fitting the first of the panels just need to take some final measurements to make them fit.

The aft edge angles taking a little while to fit correctly up to the aft locker bulkhead

Clamped into position ready to mark off the screw holes and them epoxy the back faces before fitting permanently.

The aft seating area becoming along well

After fitting the two front panels it was time to put a coat of epoxy on the inside faces of the locker front , so that before they are fixed in place they will get a coat of grey bilge paint to finish off the inside of the lockers

All the edges sealed with epoxy, then whem the backs are painted then they will be turned over and the fronts will get a thinned coat of varnish.

The first of the lid panels fitted, then they will be cut into three separate lids as the owner as requested

The port side getting patterned up ready to make the port side lids

The starboard seat lid panel showing there is a good size area to sit on in comfort.

The backs of the front panels now got their coat of epoxy

Now been coated with gery bilge paint so now they just need to dry and then be ready to screw in position.

Patterned up the top panels , so they can be fitted along the edge the faces the inside of the hull and then they will be epoxied on the under side and the top will have a thin teak laid decking glued on the top face.

Both top panel fitted,now just need to cut into three parts each side to make them into individual lids for the different section of the lockers

Before the Christmas break, I filled these areas of the hull where the chainplate bolts were through the hull. They are a bit lower than the rest of the hull around the bolts, so there had to be a bit of filling with epoxy filler to bring the areas level with the surrounding area. Once these areas are sanded back level then the rest of the hull will be sanded ready to be given its second coat of epoxy primer.

The other sanding job is the area of the cockpit seating area which needs to be levelled up and any areas that need second filling can be done when the whole area is sanded back.

Most of the cockpit seating areas is spot filling as most of it is good condition

Back to sanding again on the Morgan Giles 30, this time the cockpit area and the aft deck.
    So it was to sand back the filler and the first coat of hi build primer to make it all level once more and find out the areas that were missed the first time around

The big different in the cockpit it is not completely flat and it all angles to the middle and so having to use a smaller sander to do this area

Much of the area is filled, just a few small areas to fill the second time around

On the picnic boat front, the front are put back into position and just need screwing in position and then the top can be fitted to the inside face of the hull and the inboard faces trimmed and edged

Back to the Morgan Giles 30 and starting to sand back the areas of filler and smooth off the hi build primer before giving the hull and second coat of hi build primer and then do any small areas of fine filling.

The area round the chain plate fixing will need more filling before the area is smooth enough to give the hull a second coat of hi build primer.

At last the first sanding back of the first coat of Hi Build epoxy primer is now finished it is time to second fill areas as necessary and then sand that back and then give the hull a second coat of Hi Buld epoxy primer

These areas on both sides of the hull are the areas that need profile filling

Most of the hull is fairly fair just a few areas that need fine filling

The hull is going to need a few more coats of Hi Build Epoxy primer before it is ready to have its first coat of orange undercoat

On the hull the only major filling and fairing is amidships on both sides

Along job, however, it is done now. Time to tackle the decks and get them faired up.

A couple of years ago the inside of the Morgan Giles 30 looked like this, an empty vessel with just the bulkheads in place.

amd the same under the cockpit floor

Now fast forward up to the present day and there has been a transformation. The owner has transformed the inside to a living space that will meet his needs for his next adventure. A lot of the interior is custom made to his individual requirements and will be used not only for sailing, but for his other passion climbing as many of the spaces are designed to hold his climbing equipment while of passage.

The engine compartment is made larger than normal to fit a larger engine to push the yacht through any foul weather he will experience in his voyages to the northern latitudes where his is going to explore when the yacht is finished.

Many of the items such as a diesel cooker/ heater that are going into the yacht will be able to be used while many miles form without having go into harbours to resupply the yacht.

A good sized galley area to make preparing and servicing food easier when underway

Under this locker/berth there is going to be a custom made water tank to increase the water capacity of the yacht. the yacht will also have more water capacity around the boat and also a system to collect rain water to fill the water tanks as well.

The icebox glassed into position in the bottom of the photo and more storage for gear ahead of the icebox.

A good sized chart table area, close to the cockpit companionway so can give the helmsman instruction without leaving the chart table.

The next job to make the custom water tank to fill this space

Making the panels up to make it into a plug to make the water tank as largest possible size

Making the end panels as deep as possible to get the largest possible volume

The long panel to fit as close as possible to the shape of the hull and at the front end sit on the floor bearers

Should be large enough to go on long voyages

The top brace to keep the shape while fitting the curved panel that will round the curved lower face of the tank the only part that is going to be a head ache will be the area where the bottom of the tank changes direction.

Making the bracing to be the same shape as the finished water tank to make the water tank the largest it can be in the given space available

Skinning the the tank to give is finished shape

The water tank plug in position to get the owner's okay on its design and size then make the water tank off the plug, once the plug as been coated and polished to take a moulding off the plug.

Fitting the space closely so there will be little chance of movement

The bottom of the plug showing there is just enough room to fit the feed line in the bottom of the tank at the lowest point just forward end of the tank

The water tank in position a good fit in the available space.

The space the new water tank as to go into under the port berth in the main cabin.

First make a rough plan of what it needs to be

The put in all the measurements and angles on to make the patterns for the tank

Start to make up the plug after taking the measurement of the patterns and transferring on to the plywood to make the plug

Having made the two ends and the centre brace to get the correct curve in the wall of the water tank against the hull, it was time to skin the tank framework in a piece of thin plywood make the wall of the water tank.

Once that was done, then placed it in the space to ensure it fitted the space neatly and made the best use of the available space

The second half of the week was spent sorting out the workshop and the outside yard to make it easier to move around the outside yard and put away bits of boat work that is not being worked on at present. So that first job was to be ruthless with what was in the workshop and out in the yard and getting rid of any bits that were not ever going to be worked on or was of any use.

The main job I did this on the Chance front was to sort out the doors and drawers and put them on their own shelf which will be the shelf for all the pieces of equipment and woodwork which are going to be worked on over the coming months as work progresses on the restoration of the boat.

Also during the week it gave me time to look around the workshop to make the best use of the available space and set out the workshop into work stations for different operations with their own sets of tools to do the different work the company does. Designated work stations to do thickening and planning wood and crop sawing the wood as necessary and set of holesaws and their mandrills, next a small engineering workstation with bench grinder, cleaning bath for degreasing parts, a complete set of metric and A/F spanners and various wrenches and small and large hacksaws and copper and plastic headed mallets and a small MiG welder for small fabrication work. A large pillar drill for working on larger metal drilling work.

Then we have a wood turning lathe for any wood turning work needed on the boats, be it a wood or nylon bush that is needed to as spacers of runners to set up cutting of shaft logs and other wood work needed in and around the workshop or out in the yard. Next a wood working bench to set out work that needs a large flat area to set work out to assemble parts of cabinet work.

Then a area for mixing standard wood glues and epoxies and polyester resins and gelcoats to be used on the many different types of repairs we undertake over the course of a year. and finally shelves with Clamps and drills and other power and hand tools needed on a daily basis.

Out in the yard areas around the yard for timber storage and other equipment that is not needed to be stored in the work. Presently working on dividing the yard in to designated areas to store items so that they are easily to hand without the need to move to much to get them out and into the workshop or on to a job out in the yard. So that over the next few weeks we will get the workshop and yard into a position where working will be a lot easier than it as been for sometime.

The locker lids now fitted and cut into three lids so you do not need to lift the whole of the top to get into the lockers

Just got to edge the edges after they are painted so they can be lifted without having to put finger holes in the tops

Sealing the plug with a coat of epoxy resin and then filling and fairing the plug after it as cured over night

radiused the edges to aid the bi-axial cloth to go over the edges to make a fair surface to be what will be the surface of the water tank which will be moulded off this plug.

Second filling of the main decks of the Morgan Giles 30

When this has cured then the whole of the deck will be sanded down again and any final filling will be done and then the deck will be givenits next coat of Hi Build Epoxy primer

The chain plate areas getting there second filling with epoxy filler which will be sanded and then the hull will get its second coat of Hi Build Epoxy primer as we build up the primer coats on the hull.

Sorting out the height and the correct level for the top of the forward seating area and extra locker space in the front of the Picnic boat.

Starting to the top rails into the same distance off the inside of the hull as the aft seating area

Fitting the lower rails to mirror the curve of the top rails so they are a fair curve like the top rails

Setting up the bracing between the top and bottom rails to add strength to the top rail when people stand on the lockers when they are stepping in and out of the boat.

Doing the areas where when the decks were sanded after the first filling with epoxy filler highlighted the low points in the decks

The second filling of the chain plate areas

Covering the thin plywood curved area to harden up this area when the water tank is made over this area to stop any distortion in this area of the plug when laying up the water tank.

Today was getting the on picnic boat refit, Getting the framework for the forward locker/ seating area finished off ready to clad the framework with plywood fronts and split locker lids on the top. The starboard hand side front will have removable section to get access to the fuel tank tap and drain. That way it will be able to be checked on a regular basis. Once the lockers are finished it will be time to make up the sole boards through out the boat. Then the engine box can be made and the rest of the engine installation can continue.

A photo of the locker framework being made, which is now finished

The water tank plug being coated with thin bi-axial cloth and epoxy resin to strengthen up the thin plywood panel, the rest of the panels are thickener. they just need another couple of epoxy and flatten off and then coated with release wax before laying up the water tank over the plug until it is the correct thickness. then a lid will be moulded and then glassed to the tank base moulding and the inspection holes cut into the lid and the tank fitted into the boat inside the locker that was build to fit it.

So tomorrow more work on both the picnic boat and the Morgan Giles 30.

Making the front panel and locker lid for the forward seating area and skimming the water tank plug with low density epoxy filler

Making the first of the two lids for the front lockers/ seats

Using the patterns that made the starboard panels

The starboard lid in one piece before it is cut in two to access different parts of the locker

The front panel cut in two so that the front part can be removed to gain access to the fuel tank stopcock

The water tank plug for the Morgan Giles 30 getting a coat of low density epoxy filler so that this can be sanded back to give the surface a smooth finish to make the water tank from once it is polished and waxed.

The water tank plug now got its sealing coat of clear epoxy. Now it has to cure over the weekend and then be wet & dry sanded down and then polished and then coated in release wax and the the water tank will be moulded over the plug.

Then the top will be made and fitted and glassed in position and then fitted in the space in the main cabin berth.

The water tank plug is now release waxed and is now ready to be gelcoated as the first stage in building up the water tank for the Morgan Giles 30

A well waxed and polished plug, so the next stage is to gelcoat the surface to build up the thickness of gelcoat and then apply several layers of fibreglass matt over the plug to build up the thickness for the wall of the tank and then make a top to fit over the tank base and then fit all the fitting to the finished tank

The shape is to make the most of the available area under the berth to get as largest tank volume as possible for extended cruising.

The white gelcoat to get applied to the plug to start the moulding process and then four layers of fibreglass to make up the walls of the tank.

Two ongoing project jobs, the water tank for the Morgan Giles 30 and the seating/ lockers for the Picnic boat

The second coat of white gelcoat going on to the plug and then when this is cured off then one last coat of gelcoat and then build up the layers of fibreglass to make the water tank

Looking better with every coat and will be good when the whole plug is covered in fibreglass matting

The Picnic boat seats and lockers getting their lids fitted and the then it will be time to make bases for the bottom of the lockers

Starting to fit the deck edge trims

After sanding and polishing the plug it was ready for its first coats of Gelcoat

Then it was coated with three coats of White gelcoat

Then it was fitst covered with a thin layer of bi axial fibreglass matting

Then the first of many layers of CSM to build up the walls of the water tank until it is 12 oz lay up and then left to cure before releasing from its plug and the fitted to the port side berth in the main cabin of the Morgan Giles 30

Now that the lockers are panelled and fixed in position it is time to paint the inside of the lockers with primer so then they can be painted with grey bilge paint

So they are painted out and the bottom of the lockers have to have bottom panels made to finish off the lockers so they can be used for storage when the boat is used as a picnic boat

The inside of the picnic boat is now all the same colour on the inside of the hull in the bottom and the sides

A view from aft looking forward showing the lockers now all finished with lids and fronts,

Just got to fit end panels to the ends of both sets of lockers and make floors for the forward lockers

Quite a transformation from the old rowing boat we started out with some time ago

Starting to fit the covering boards around the edges of the foredeck and aft deck

Port side deck now flatten back ready to be wiped down and cleared ready for its next coat of Hi Build Epoxy Primer

Now that the deck is flatten back and the last of the depressions in the deck are filled it can be painted with the next coat of epoxy primer to build up the protection on the deck surface

The cockpit will get a sanding and then it will get the same treatment as the rest of the decks.

The starboard side deck now sanded back so it is ready to get coated with Hi Build Epoxy Primer

Now just got to sand back the fore deck and the fore cabin and the main cabin roofs and then they can be painted with Hi Build Epoxy Primer, once this is done it will then need more coats to build up a good thickness of epoxy primer before the deck is painted with its final coat of deck paint.

The foredeck sanded back and now needs wiping down with acetone to clean off any dirt and then give the deck its second of Hi Build Epoxy Primer. Before that need to sand back the fore and main cabin roof and then paint the whole area of deck in one go.

Just cut the edge from the building jig and now turned it over to start to break the plug from the water tank

Breaking off the bracing off the plywood that made up the walls of the plug

Release the thin plywood edge to help loosen the other sides off the plug

One panel removed and now to remove the other sides and then clean up the top edges of water tank to make the top of the water tank.

Now release and now for the trimming and making the top for the water tank

Now its released the next stage can begin

Starting to mark out the cut line for the top of the water tank

The cut line being marked off on the outside of the water tank so it can be cut with a diamond edge disc cutter. The fitst got to make a jig to sit the tank in

Setting up the tank ready to mark off the cut line on the top edge of the water tank

The excess Fibreglass off the top of the tank and now ready to make up the panel for the lid and the baffle plate

Setting up the plywood panel to make up the template panel to make the lid of the tank

Giving the lid panel and the baffle plate templates to fibreglass panels their first coat of epoxy resin to use them to lay up the lid and the baffle plate on and the once the baffle plate is made glass this into the tank and then glass the lid on to the edge.

Setting out the size of the lid for the water tank after the top edge was cut to the finished height

The open of the water tank at the finished height and set up in its jig so that the tank lid canbe made to fit and the baffle plate fixed in position once it is made and cut to size

The two plywood panels which the lid and baffle plate will be fibreglass up on and then fitted to the tank

Once this are made and dry fitted the fittings will be fitted to the water tank and also the inspection hatches will be fitted and then the water tank will be fitted in the man cabin berth and the bunk base will be fitted over the water tank