Thread: Tarp building shed?

Default Tarp building shed?

I am about to get hit with rain here in Northern CA and once it starts I could have days and weeks on end. I got so many damn projects all happening at once that I just can't get a proper boat- building shed going until next summer (I have a 10 month old, a 4 year old, a cabin that I just finished a complete ceiling re-do on that now needs re-wiring in two of four bedrooms as well as heater work, kitchen issues, and it goes on and on) (for one thing I would have to terminate two skiff builds I have going and one of them is completely exposed outdoors). I was gearing up to put up at least a roof-on-sticks -shed, but the canvas/portable garages might be a solution until next summer. I was thinking a 24x12, primarily for storing built boats, and a few floor machines like a Bellsaw planer I got for free from a sawmill. Anyone use these? http://www.amazon.com/ShelterLogic-C...ortable+garage Or, perhaps better, http://www.amazon.com/ShelterLogic-1...ortable+garage A little small but..http://www.amazon.com/King-Canopy-HC...ortable+garage Opinions? I still have a two car garage set up as a shop.... On the other hand, anyone build in these? WIth a few electrical cables and some lighting, might not be bad.
    Last edited by davebrown; 09-27-2013 at 02:22 AM.

Default Re: Tarp building shed?

I have one that I used to build my 15 ft. runabout. I believe I had it up for at least three years. This was in Florida with lots of rain and hot sun. It worked great and stayed quite dry. I strongly recommend the white covering. I have seen ones with green or gray covers. These become extremely hot as the cover gets got and then radiates the heat inward.

I believe the one I used was identical to the one shown in your photo. I recommend them.

Alan

I don't know where you live,but some are snow rated others are not. I built mine last year from 2x2's and 2x4's with a poly tarp cover and it works good for storage. I didn't build it high enough to work in as I wanted it low key.

It definitely seems like a good option for storage at the least, even if you still use your "garage" for your working shop.
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I have one , it has a 60 pound chunk of lead on each post .I got mine with a boat , used and leaky , but I just put a costco tarp over the fitted white one , no problem . Putting a sacrificial second cheap top over it will probably extend it's life.
    bruce

Anchor it well both top and bottom - wind damage is the most common cause of failure that I've seen. I use long rebar stakes on the bottom and rope ties to trees and fences on the top. Buy a cover kit for it while available, but a sacrificial tarp is also a good idea.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

We live on a street that is the boundary between two municipal jurisdictions. On our side of the street there is a bylaw against them. Our motorhead neighbour directly across the street had 4 of them to store his various car projects

Or you can buy/rent a cargo container and then have them haul it off once you are able to build a real shed. Just a thought.

I need something bigger than that Bob, and I also might find the canvas sheds suitable for building. I seem to always have not one but two boats in progress lately.

I got a cheepy from Pep Boys - 10x20. I think I paid about $120 for it. Built a 17' skiff inside it. Was up for 4 years; was just starting to show signs of deterioration (pin hole leaks, etc.) when I dismantled it. It was in a protected location and I had it tied down very well. Color was a very light tan outside/white inside. I hung a 4' shop light off the pole forming the peak of the roof, which gave very nice illumination. Overall, I was very pleased.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I made a temporary building shed 30x14 using cheap 1x4's, sheet rock screws and glue I made up 6 trusses using scrap plywood gussets, 2x4"s at each truss for "legs" and covered the roof with white plastic corrigated siding. The ridgebeam, purlins and plates were all 1x4's The sides were covered with used white sails cut to shape. It cost about three hundred bucks, was built in two days and lasted for about ten years... until I built a real barn.
    About 6 guys could pick it up and move it.