Thread: A Brief History of Fish Sticks

Hope no one sees this as SPAM...

Who in America doesn't know the Gorton Fisherman? But who knew all this stuff?? Excellent site, IMO. Check out the topics on the left side of the page. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.gortons.com/about/glimpse.php

I'll never again crack a joke about that salty old dog. Man, the Gordan's fisherman rules!
    Seriously though, those guys were tougher than us. Because they had to be, I guess. I don't know anyone who could handle the conditions on one of those boats.

Some credence here is lent to the idea that families of fishermen many generations old produce better fishermen, because the ones who were not good at it died along the way.

So by the time you get to 5th generation, you've got some pretty hale boys. Now taken in context with the times back then, and the fact that 1/2 of our population would be dead if life and medicine were at the 'then' equivalent, you start seeing why this is true.

In other words, although medical establishment hates to acknowledge this, the human race in the west is physically weakening every generation.

3 generations of easy living and you have asthma and peanut allergies all over the place. And low endurance.

Give me the Gorton's fisherman any day against a modern man for endurance. These are people for whom feats equivalent to Lance Armstrong's Tour de France win(s) were not rare. Not common, to be sure, but not unheard of.

Hmm... maybe I don't eat enough codfish! [img]smile.gif[/img]

--T

Good point Timothy, sort of going from 'survival of the fittest' to 'survival of all'.
    I've always had the highest regard for the commercial fishing industry. A tough life & a tough situation the industry is in now. I've spent some time offshore schalloping of the N.E. US. That'll teach a person some respect! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-11-2003, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: nedL ]