Page 1 of 38 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: Building the D18 Myst - 18' Beach Yawl

Default Building the D18 Myst - 18' Beach Yawl

Here goes… I'm a novice builder, but I hope you enjoy another build thread. I welcome your comments and constructive criticisms. Just kidding, I don't really want any criticism.

Several years ago, I found that I could not shake the idea to build a sailboat. I had four years experience as a carpenter when I finished college back in the 80`s and I could read a blueprint so I figured I was up to it, and had previously built 3 Chesapeake Light Craft kayaks from plans and had enjoyed the experience. However I live about a hundred miles from decent sail-able water and my family heritage is Pennsylvania Dutch (german) - a group not exactly known as a seafaring people.

Boating history:
    1. AMF Flying Fish sailboat. Fun but uncomfortable for anyone older than a teenager, and has no way to reduce the large sail, and no auxiliary power so sailing conditions have to be just right. Still have it.
    2. O`Day 192. Loved it, but too big to launch at the shallow boat ramp on the upper Chesapeake and too heavy to tow behind my mini-van, and took too many people too long to set up.
    3. Thistle. . A beautiful wooden boat, though I don't know what I was thinking since Thistles are racing boats and I didn't want to race. Need crew, no reefing. Too much boat for a leisurely day sail with the wife, so I sold that to a young fellow who races her regularly.

I assigned my sons the job of finding a design to build that had all the features that I needed. The requirements were as follows:
    1. It had to be pretty (I'm sure you understand) Yes it is number 1.
    2. Reasonably traditional in design- but modern building methods and features are fine.
    3. Provision for a small engine - engine AND oars even better…
    4. Versatility in the sail plan. Ability to sail in a range of wind conditions with crew or single-handed.
    5. Less than 6 feet wide. (that's the width of my shop doors)
    6. Easily trailered and able to be set up by one person.

My son Bryan found the D18 Myst- designed by Don Kurylko http://www.dhkurylko-yachtdesign.com (already famous on this forum for his cutter build of biblical duration). An 18' beach cruiser with a lug yawl rig and all the features that I required. Since I began the build I found that it also has the added feature of having a designer of great patience and encouragement, willing to answer any question and correct any faults.

I began the project in December of 2010 and hope to be finishing up in December of 2014. Future plans for her are for sailing the nearest water- the Chesapeake, and eventually the Maine Island trail if I don't get too old first.

Specifications:
    LOA 18'-3" 5.5m
    LWL 17'-4" 5.3m
    Beam 5'-7" 1.7m

Draft at LWL:
    Board up 0'-9" 0.23m
    Board down 4'-0" 1.22m

Displacement:
    LWL 1200 lbs. 544kg
    Weight (hull and rig) 400lbs. 181kg
    Sail area: 160 sq.ft. 14.86 sq.m.

Power: 3 - 5 hp outboard motobr />

Stay tuned, I'll be posting pics as I get the time. I will start at the beginning of course, but this is what it looks like now.
    Last edited by dktyson; 09-21-2013 at 07:11 AM. Reason: learning to post

Default Re: Building the D18 Myst - 18' Beach Yawl

I can't see any more pictures?
    Can anyone else?
    Is my tablet functioning ok?!!!!!!!
    James

James, I just started the thread this morning- only one picture posted so far but many more to come later today.
    Last edited by dktyson; 04-04-2015 at 05:25 AM.

Hooray! Looking forward to seeing more. I think this is a very attractive boat.

I shall be checking in. Its an interesting boat, nice choice.

Wider than Alaska. Looks like a good sailer.

Sorry our old English humour is a little dry!!!!!
    Looking forward to this build thread.
    Tips and advice on the strip planking with be much appreciated.
    James

Excellent. I've long-dreamed about the design. Can't wait to see more.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesh View Post
    Sorry our old English humour is a little dry!!!!!
    Looking forward to this build thread.
    Tips and advice on the strip planking with be much appreciated.
    James
    Dry humor is my specialty. Caught me with my guard down...
    Last edited by dktyson; 09-21-2013 at 03:15 PM.

This is the boat I almost decided to build! I went with Don's Alaska instead when I realized I wanted to row a lot, but Myst is sure a beauty. Enjoy your build!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

subscribing ...I've been waiting for this thread !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Now, starting at the beginning…

Full size patterns take the guess work out. Note to self, next time use solid pine for the 4 molds toward the bow and maybe the last 2 at the stern. End grain of particle board does not hold screws well enough for the torque of twisted and curved plank strips. Particle board is fine amidships.

I had about 30 hours just setting up the molds on the strongback, due to never having done such a thing before. Checked every measurement several ways and wore a path to the plans table. Paranoid about screwing it up before I even started. The compulsive behavior has paid off though since subsequent parts always seemed to fit.

Philippine mahogany plank keel.

3 layer laminated stem

Mahogany transom. All structural parts are Philippine Mahogany, planks are Western Red Cedar, and spars will be Sitka Spruce with an Ash bowsprit. MAS epoxy used throughout.

January in southeastern Pennsylvania, getting ready to rip a stack of cedar boards into 1" X 5/8" strips

The dust made my camera malfunction... no more focus. Bushels of sawdust and a pile of strips

I think you people in the southeast got more snow last winter than we did in Central PA (west of the Susquehanna). I'm building a 12' Gartside dinghy now.

True. We have a cabin west of Lock Haven and there was less than here. Actually though, the picture above was from Jan. 2011 I believe.

Great choice. I like that design a lot. Will be really keen to see it come together.

Dave
    Sooty Tern Build Thread: Another Tern in the Works!
    Sooty Tern Blog: http://xflow7.wordpress.com

Planks need to be scarfed together for a total length of 19'. Photo of my primitive scarf cutting jig for a 1 to 6 scarf.

Bundles of scarfed plank sections sorted for gluing. Carefully sorted to stagger the scarfs on the final product

Ready on the gluing jig

6 planks glued per winter evening... need total of about 90

Stem and keel installed on moulds. Beginning the lamination of risers and sheer clamps - also scarfed to length and laminated in 4 layers for the risers and 5 layers for the sheer clamps

A wise man once told me that you can't have too many clamps... I didn't have enough at this point, but since then I've visited a local flea market regularly and as a result, I've just finished a gluing job that used 55 clamps- and I still had a bunch in the drawer.

Riser fitted, but not glued to stem. It will need to be removed after the hull is rolled.

Risers and sheer clamps completed. A piece needs to be added to the riser approaching the transom so it doesn't have to be forced into an impossible bend.

Transom in place, Ready to fair for planking.

Fairing the moulds. I painted the edges black so I could better tell what I was taking off.

Watching with considerable interest !
    Grateful Dead

Very intresting!

/fredrik

Nice job on that transom,fine bit of timber.

Transom faired for planking.

Keel Ready

Ready stem to stern

On to planking. Not sorry the fairing is done...

Thank you! The job was accomplished with much fear and trembling. That was 2 1/2 years ago when I had very little idea what I was doing. I'd be much more comfortable doing it now.

Planking commenced. The job is deceptively easy at this point. Very little bend or twist and no extra imagination needed to make the clamps work. At this point I remember saying: "this is a breeze- I'll be done in a week (working evenings)..." Turned out not to be true.

I like planking pictures, sorry.

Now the clamping becomes interesting- gotta improvise.

Dry fitting 6 more planks. 6 per evening was about all I could manage with fitting, gluing, installing and clamping. More than 6 would not clamp very well, and I couldn't do the other side at the same time since I didn't have enough long clamps.

Curves are starting to get difficult...

Drilled and drove in 1/8" dowels to align difficult planks. Nails would have been much easier, but could cost me the edge on my hand planes in the future if they angled out.

Dry fit planks

Nice curves...

Here the planking becomes difficult- 2 or 3 strips at a time is all I could manage. Lots of bend and twist at the same time. Really aggravating to have a glued-up plank snap when you try to screw it fast. Learned to discern which of my strips were more likely to take the torque- fortunately there were only 3 or 4 per side that were really inclined to break.

Torque em`- hold your breath- and screw them fast. Found that the really twisted planks could not be screwed through, but had to have the screws placed between the strips with fender washers to do the holding.

Only two of the "stealers" required on each side to make continued planking possible.

I think the tongue and groove on the transom is wonderful. What glue did you use on the strips?

Thanks. I like the tongue and groove- but on subsequent steps I've switched to splines. Much easier but not quite as elegant. Don said to spline the transom together... I had no idea what that meant so I assumed he meant tongue and groove. Glad I did, but I've gotten lazy here later on.

I'm using MAS epoxy with the slow hardener for everything . I wet out the dry wood with unthickened epoxy and then thicken with cab-o-sil or cell-o-fil, and I use wood flour sometimes for fillets and cosmetic work.

Successfully past the trouble spot on one side.

Reached the keel and it's very satisfying to plane it flat.

Fighting my way through the second set of difficult bends.

Quote Originally Posted by dktyson View Post

Planks need to be scarfed together for a total length of 19'. Photo of my primitive scarf cutting jig for a 1 to 6 scarf.

Bundles of scarfed plank sections sorted for gluing. Carefully sorted to stagger the scarfs on the final product

Ready on the gluing jig

6 planks glued per winter evening... need total of about 90

Could you explain the setup here , particularly the 1/2'' x 1/2" strips under the plastic wrap ? Did you need to run a pin through the slippery scarf to stop it sliding out of alignment ?
    Grateful Dead

The scarfing jig was a work in progress. Shown is my second, final and simpler method. The 1/2" by 1/2" strips were originally just there to ensure that the strips stayed straight when laid flat with the scarf horizontal. I would clamp a board across all six strips. When I did that, I had to drive a pin through to hold the slippery scarf. I concluded this was "over engineered".

The final method shown was simply to align the strips and scarfs vertically and use 2 spring clamps on each scarf. Much simpler and no problem with slippage. At the point, I no long needed the half by half strips. I think I laid something across the strips farther out to keep them flat on the board. I'll see later if I have any better pictures.

Thanks, I'm planning build using strips of a similar dimension and am mentally working through my jigs . I've found it very easy to get a marginal misalignment .
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 09-23-2013 at 06:58 AM.
    Grateful Dead

Hi, thought you might like a photo of the finished boat. This boat was built by Ted Cody and was sailing at the Small Reach Regatta this past summer.
    http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/go...d6d27.jpg.html
    By the way, I live three hills east of you, in Kutztown!! I have a Caledonia Yawl that I sail mostly on the Cheasapeake.
    have you been to St. Michael's an the Mid-Atlantic Small Craft festival? It is coming up in a couple of weeks.
    "I am what I am and I am what I am that I am." - Popeye 20th Century A.D.

Great looking build. I love that shop! How do you heat it in winter?
    The transom has a cutout for an outboard, but what's the approx. 2" diameter hole in the transom on the other side? Or am I just seeing something that's not there?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Fantastic! I just bought the plans for Myst. Will be watching with eagerity.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.