Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida Beg-Meil

Default Re: Florida Beg-Meil

Thanks again everyone for the advice and encouragement. Have a merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Nice work! I now have plane and spokeshave envy. The long groove-soled plane in the post above and the little bronze spokeshave from a ways back. This looks like a wonderful boat. I'm starting to really love Vivier's designs. Keep it up and good luck!
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Nice seeing your boat come together, I must look into Viviers designs a bit more. Hope you had a good Christmas too

Cheers
    My First Boat Build:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...acgregor-Canoe
    Iain Oughtred - Macgregor Canoe - 15 foot

The panels are glued up:

Quote Originally Posted by simonmags View Post
    Nice seeing your boat come together, I must look into Viviers designs a bit more. Hope you had a good Christmas too

Cheers
    Thanks Simon, Christmas was great and I found some time to enjoy some boat-building. I can't say enough about Vivier's designs - the kits, from what I have read, are fantastic for accurate assembly. Even building from plans and mylar patterns, as I am doing, has been a great (but slower) experience so far. Vivier includes a great amount of detail and is readily available for questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    Nice work! I now have plane and spokeshave envy. The long groove-soled plane in the post above and the little bronze spokeshave from a ways back. This looks like a wonderful boat. I'm starting to really love Vivier's designs. Keep it up and good luck!
    Thanks Falcon. The Lie-Nielsen spokeshave was a birthday gift. I have had great luck on ebay and flea markets to find planes. On Ebay I have found a lot of sellers who have done the clean up work already to make a nice 'user' plane. At big markets there are often dealers in old tools and I found that long plane in decent condition, only needing a little clean up and sharpening.

Here are a few shots of the mylar patterns for the strakes and the transferred lines on the panels. My thought on cutting them is to secure two of the big panels sandwiched together and rough cut with a circular saw; then cut both layers to the line with the bandsaw. that way, only have to trace the pattern once, and get two strakes - one for each side - that are identical. Happy New Year everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    A fine job of scarfing. How do your arms feel after that workout? I've found that scarfing each plank on the boat itself saves a lot of ply instead of making a 4'x16' sheet of plywood. Does FV suggest which way to go about it in his plans?
    Rich - seeing the results now, your point about scarphing each plank individually makes sense, but I can't seem to reconcile how to do that with my use of the mylar patterns. and how is it done if spiling? In short, can you elaborate on how you do this? I am sure that this Beg-Meil will not be my last boat, and although my approach served me well for my first build, I am more curious about your suggestion the more I think about it.

Oh she is going to be a sweety

I use the truss system to determine plank shape, then transfer it onto the plywood. I used to scarf and glue the planks on the workbench, but it's very hard to move that long, floppy plank without it snapping at the joint, especially when using 4mm ply. I now glue the planks right on the building mold. Seems to work out OK.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I should point out that I trace one part of the plank on the ply, carefully marking the scarf area on the plank and the pattern, then re-position the pattern on the ply before tracing out the second piece. Being a 13' boat, I'd have one 8' section and one 5' section. I alternate the joints so they don't line up with each other on the boat.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I should point out that I trace one part of the plank on the ply, carefully marking the scarf area on the plank and the pattern, then re-position the pattern on the ply before tracing out the second piece. Being a 13' boat, I'd have one 8' section and one 5' section. I alternate the joints so they don't line up with each other on the boat.
    Thanks! I will have to give that a try. So many ways to approach a build, different problems and solutions. That is part of the appeal of boatbuilding for me. Plus at the end you get a beautiful artifact that is fun to use.

I secured two layers together with 3/4" screws and rough cut the plywood into "plank-like" shapes, ready for the bandsaw. My hope is that a) I only need trace the pattern once; b) the planks I cut will be identical; and c) there will be little to no tear-out from cutting on the bandsaw. We'll see how it works!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
    I secured two layers together with 3/4" screws and rough cut the plywood into "plank-like" shapes, ready for the bandsaw. My hope is that a) I only need trace the pattern once; b) the planks I cut will be identical; and c) there will be little to no tear-out from cutting on the bandsaw. We'll see how it works!

When I got to this point on a couple past builds, I clamped and nailed a batten to the line and smoothed everything up with a router. Used small nails and the holes tend to be right where you are gluing the laps anyway. Sometimes depending on how the planks lay out on the plywood, you can put the batten on the other side of the line and not worry about holes. The batten tends to fair up any squiggles from tracing the batten, and the router produces perfect edges. I used a 3/8 inch spiral bit that sent all the sawdust down and out of the way, but I think today I would use a pattern cutting bit to keep the batten on top of the work. Also, I got pretty close to the lines using a small cutoff-type circular saw so the router bit had less work to do.

Just found your thread. I'll look forward to seeing you progress. Looks like you're doing great so far!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything"

Roosevelt, Theodore

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kessinger View Post
    When I got to this point on a couple past builds, I clamped and nailed a batten to the line and smoothed everything up with a router. Used small nails and the holes tend to be right where you are gluing the laps anyway. Sometimes depending on how the planks lay out on the plywood, you can put the batten on the other side of the line and not worry about holes. The batten tends to fair up any squiggles from tracing the batten, and the router produces perfect edges. I used a 3/8 inch spiral bit that sent all the sawdust down and out of the way, but I think today I would use a pattern cutting bit to keep the batten on top of the work. Also, I got pretty close to the lines using a small cutoff-type circular saw so the router bit had less work to do.
    Paul - thanks for that advice. The more I think and read about it, the more I am inclined to cut them just as you described. Last night I read something to the effect that "no one will know your plank isn't exactly right, but everyone will see that it is an unfair line." As soon as I carve out some time to give it a try I'll post the results. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Armstrong View Post
    Just found your thread. I'll look forward to seeing you progress. Looks like you're doing great so far!
    Thanks Ed, I appreciate that. I wasn't quite sure how the whole build process would go, but so far it has been an incredibly rewarding and enjoyable process.

I took Paul's advice and sprung battens along the lines of the planks. The battens not only smoothed out little bumps, they acted as a guide for the flush cutting router bit. I can see now this was by far the best method - both planks mirror images, fair lines, and I was able to do this as a one-man operation (the bandsaw was a 2-person job minimum.)

I still have a few more to go, but here are the results so far:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kessinger View Post

Thanks Paul!! Great advice, it worked very well.

Paint!!

At each step the building of the strongback and setting up the bulkheads seems at once closer and still so far away.....

This one looks a bit rough, but I am just going for the moisture barrier, not looks...it is not a visible part. Gotta fill those counter bore holes, though....
    Could you just run a router around that inside edge?
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
    Could you just run a router around that inside edge?
    I definitely could (and should.) Given the precious little build time I manage to squeeze out from life, I tend to de-prioritize the parts that are "good enough" and hidden from sight. But then again, I recently heard the quote "how you do anything is how you will do everything" so maybe I need to break out that router.

Wheels!

Although many seems to recommend against wheels, enough seem to have built fine boats of similar size on mobile bldg frames. and it sure is convenient.

planks! all ready and waiting for planking.....

I recognize those plank shapes. I like them very much. Onward!

Hi Jason, great work you're doing. Every FV build i see makes me envious with the amount of detail in those plans, even plank shapes. just one thing that came to my little mind was that you may want to paint marks on the garage floor in the location where the strongback is level, cos maybe the floor isnt level everywhere. Then you can wheel boat into level spot and glue on another set of planks and move it out the way once glue has set.

Well done
    Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I think that is a great idea. I've been thinking about "levelness" - the frame is square and level, but I do know that my entire garage slopes ever so slightly towards the door (water drainage, or just how builders build houses, I guess...) So, I was thinking that I would reference everything to the building frame. Not sure I've got this right though and will need to (re)read some of the standard books on this.

making progress towards planking:

Jason just something to think about... I wish I'd rounded over the outside edges of my planks before gluing onto boat. Stop about a couple of inches shy of gains so you can finesse it after gluing. Good luck.
    Last edited by andrewpatrol; 04-16-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Progress has been slow of late but I am still at it as time permits
    Last edited by JasonD; 04-16-2014 at 09:19 PM.

more progress, inch by inch….

Last edited by JasonD; 04-26-2014 at 07:58 PM.

another bulkhead secured to the building frame...

looking great Jason, cept youre quickly running outta shed

Another bulkhead tackled, next are the transom and centerboard case...

I am enjoying seeing this take shape, and noting the differences between the Beg Meil and the Ilur.......please keep up the good work, and keep the pictures coming!
    Cheers,
    John