Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12312 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida Beg-Meil

Default Re: Florida Beg-Meil

Also, here is the inner side (not visible on assembled boat) of the transom....

The other side will get the meticulous sanding and the 3 coats of clear epoxy.

Is that a toy dump truck next to that beach ball? Get any white paint on that and you're in BIG trouble from the owner!

I also have an issue with ply end grain on my glued lap boats. The top of the sheerplank can always be seen between the inwale and the outwale. My boats all have finished bright trim, so I can't paint it. But, I just live with it and life goes on. I've considered a thin cap piece of solid wood, but felt it would be too vulnerable a spot for a thin piece of wood. Too easy to ding.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I see exposed ply end grain so much in furniture that it just doesn't strike me as wrong anymore. Sure, it's not a traditional look, but if we're talking quality hardwood ply that's finished well, it's not a bad look either. Chairs, tables, counters, you see it everywhere. And as long as it's properly epoxified, nothing bad will happen.
    -Dave

I capped mine with brass half-round. Looks good, caps the end-grain and since the boat lives upside down when not in use, adds some protection.
    Below is a picture of me pre-bending the brass that capped my skeg ( hardwood not ply; capped for abrasion protection), but you get the idea.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Kevin, that is a nice detail. The Ilur has a three piece transom, with a solid plank topmost, with a rabbet to recieve a 9mm piece of ply as shown here:
    http://
    The planking which forms seating is tucked below the rabbet formed by the seam of 9mm and 18 mm ply. Interesting that the same hull has two different approaches to this construction detail....

Quote Originally Posted by John hartmann View Post
    The Ilur has a three piece transom, with a solid plank topmost, with a rabbet to recieve a 9mm piece of ply.... The planking which forms seating is tucked below the rabbet formed by the seam of 9mm and 18 mm ply. Interesting that the same hull has two different approaches to this construction detail....
    That is interesting! Same hull, very different approach to the transom. That explains the different look on some of the Ilur's I have seen pictures of....I thought I was just seeing the owner's modification, but it turns out to be the design.

Over lunch I took some shavings off the inner stem. A few pics here show how Vivier's mylar sheets give the bevel lines and lines for strakes, easy to trace.

Mylar:

I will follow this thread with great interest as a Beg Meil kit is waiting for me in the basement... I will start working on it as soon as I finish my Gartside Riff and... the boat shed (hopefully next Spring).

René

While I am getting the paint on the bulkheads, I am also working on the hardwood trim for the centerboard case. There probably are a few better ways to do this, but here is my attempt. Still debating if I will cover the joint with a small strip of hardwood laying on the case side....

Last edited by JasonD; 09-25-2013 at 11:42 PM.

I know this looks EXACTLY the same, but I swear, there is a second coat on these!!! Forward progress, little by little....

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Is that a toy dump truck next to that beach ball? Get any white paint on that and you're in BIG trouble from the owner!
    My five year old son got a kick out of that, Rich. He grinned and said, "That's right Daddy, you WILL be in trouble if you get any paint on my dump truck."

Have you ever made a part three times? Needless to say, it is quite frustrating. Tonight I thought I would make the cap for the center board trunk, and I remembered a concept to do this by using a router. The cap is secured on to the case, and one uses a trim/cutter bit to route the inside pattern. Here is a picture of a boatbuilder in france doing exactly that, apparently quite happily.

And the next picture shows a couple of attempts: in the middle was the successful test piece, routed. Above that is the first piece meant to be the final but it split in half. Then, below, another split, and you can see where I tried to see what piece-patching it together would look like. Luckily I cam to my senses and milled up another piece of Sapele and made it again

This time I abandoned the router and picked up the handy jig saw. world of difference:

it just needs a bit of trim on the inside with a good rasp.

I cant imagine why you had that problem with the router. Its a tool i shied away from for a long time (witnessed a router incident), but now it gets used all the time. Did you have a sharp bit?

Freehand plunge routing like that is tricky, even more so when you are balancing the router on a narrow piece like your centerboard cap. Now that the hole has been open up, it should not be a problem going back and using the router to trim the edge back to the case.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I cant imagine why you had that problem with the router. Its a tool i shied away from for a long time (witnessed a router incident), but now it gets used all the time. Did you have a sharp bit?
    The router bit was a Bosch, brand new out of the box. I think there was too much vibration and/or I was not taking my time. And now that I think about it, perhaps the other builder was just trimming not cutting the hole with the bit. I really never liked cutting with routers, and will stick to round overs and such.

Tonight I finished and glued the troublesome cap to the centerboard case, as well as made up some wooden plugs to fill the counter-bored holes for the screws. The Lee Valley counter-bore and plug cutter worked pretty well, although it can be a bit tough getting the plug out of the cutter.

OK, if there are any other Beg-Meil builders out there who went with the two-layers of 9 mm ply for the transom, I could use some help. Vivier's mylar sheets has the outer layer smaller than inner layer, presumably to avoid gluing up material that you will just plane off anyway to create the bevel. But what is the best method to get the right bevel and not take off two much elsewhere? Any ideas?

Jason, just on the plug cutting, if you use a thicker piece of wood the plugs will stay put then you pop them out with a screwdriver. If no thicker piece is available glue it together with some scrap as a backer then the plugs will stay put.
    Last edited by andrewpatrol; 09-30-2013 at 05:06 AM.

Jason, you could ask FV. He has been quick to reply to my technical queries during the build of Ilur. The kit came with a half pattern to trace the outline for the transom bevel. Instructions were to pre bevel the entire transom with instruction to take care not to remove material from the inner face of the transom. I did the bevel in the section of transom where the planks had full gains ahead of assembly in the building jig, and did the bevels for the upper strakes as I fit them. Similarly, the bevel in the transition area at the foot of the stem was finished after the planking, as I fit the outer stem. Hope that helps, keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by John hartmann View Post
    Jason, you could ask FV. He has been quick to reply to my technical queries during the build of Ilur. The kit came with a half pattern to trace the outline for the transom bevel. Instructions were to pre bevel the entire transom with instruction to take care not to remove material from the inner face of the transom. I did the bevel in the section of transom where the planks had full gains ahead of assembly in the building jig, and did the bevels for the upper strakes as I fit them. Similarly, the bevel in the transition area at the foot of the stem was finished after the planking, as I fit the outer stem. Hope that helps, keep up the good work!
    Thanks John, that picture is very helpful and I do plan to reach out to FV. He has been very helpful and responsive so far, another great reason to build one of his designs. I almost would rather have the two pieces of plywood the same dimension and trim it all down, as it makes more sense visually to me. Thanks for continuing to follow along, and continued good luck on your build.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    Jason, just on the plug cutting, if you use a thicker piece of wood the plugs will stay put then you pop them out with a screwdriver. If no thicker piece is available glue it together with some scrap as a backer then the plugs will stay put.
    That is AWESOME! I just used that piece because it was the same grain and it would have been wasted otherwise; but I sure did wonder why it was such a pain to pry those little plugs out! Thanks for that valuable tip, I am sure that will save me hours in the future.

Finding time to build has been difficult, especially with work issues non-stop over the last several weeks. I did get a chance to put a coat of epoxy on the transom and worked on some trim for the center board case.

Jason, it is looking great; it is so satisfying to see progress in a build, the distractions of work notwithstanding...that small palm sander in the background is exactly the one I have found that works brilliantly as I have been sanding the primer coats on the exterior of my boat. Keep up the good work!
    John

Looks to me like you were going the opposite direction that you needed to. This would cause fairly significant tearout and a loss of control. This should be the ideal situation for usuing a router and should give a very controlled and precise cut.

What were you using to guide the router. The router pictured has an edge guide attached but a bearing (pattern) bit would work well. Thats what i'd use to clean up that inside edge.

(sorry, just noticed that my reply to the router/centerboard slot was a little late)
    Tom

Thanks everyone for all of the great feedback and suggestions so far. Posting the progress here on the forum really does make the whole build process more rewarding.

Question for everyone: the centerboard case and the transom will be varnished, and they already have multiple coats of West System 207 Special Clear epoxy. Is it better to pause now, clean up the garage and put several coats of varnish on now, or wait until she is upright with lots of trim to varnish, and really have a varnishing party. first way has the pieces flat on a workbench, but second approach might be more efficient. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Looks to me like you were going the opposite direction that you needed to. This would cause fairly significant tearout and a loss of control. This should be the ideal situation for usuing a router and should give a very controlled and precise cut.

What were you using to guide the router. The router pictured has an edge guide attached but a bearing (pattern) bit would work well. Thats what i'd use to clean up that inside edge.

(sorry, just noticed that my reply to the router/centerboard slot was a little late)

I think that is it, I let the router go opposite direction. Don't use a router often, and haven't in a long while. The edge guide was from another builder - I used a bearing, and I suspect it would have worked well if I kept it to the right direction. Next time I suppose.

Finally had the chance to work on the project, and I had a helper:

This picture shows the completion of some pommele saepele used as trim on the centerboard case.

Scarphing the panels for planks

before:

after:

I did not get to the point of applying the epoxy, but that is next. I found that laying out 8 panels was an efficient way to get 90% of the scarph planed out, but a few did need a bit more planing with just the one other mated panel, in order to get a very clean joint.

A fine job of scarfing. How do your arms feel after that workout? I've found that scarfing each plank on the boat itself saves a lot of ply instead of making a 4'x16' sheet of plywood. Does FV suggest which way to go about it in his plans?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Thanks Rich. Arms are tired! FV gives a nice 'nesting' layout for the planks and seems to recommend scarphing the full panels together. Based on what I can see in the diagram, and the fact that it is 13.5' boat, there doesn't look like I would be able to save much, at least not enough to make it worth the terror of scarphing them right on the boat. I would fear getting it wrong and creating some very un-fair lines (first boat and all.....) But you are right, there will be some waste. On that topic, I was thinking today of making up a bunch of planking clamps, as described in "The Boat Builder's Apprentice." That will help with some of the plywood remnants.
    Last edited by JasonD; 12-24-2013 at 10:26 AM.

If you will be needing clamps for the glue up of the hull, the 9mm ply works well for "clothespin" style clamps....

Have a merry Christmas!