Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51415

Thread: Florida Beg-Meil

Default Re: Florida Beg-Meil

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    Looks great! She's going to be a lovely boat. Will you do a sawn piece right next to the coming up front?

Also, is that a little lead potpourri down there on the left?

Cheers!

Mike
    Thanks Mike! I like your idea: I'll bend them as long as I can, and then the last small piece will be sawn to fit.

Yeah, that is my lead melting pot, and those shavings came off the piece inserted into the rudder. I probably should cover that up to avoid an early senility.

Thanks for looking!

Jason

There's some very nice work there Jason, well done !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Yup, gotta add my "nice stuff, looking good" Jason!

Cheers,
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    There's some very nice work there Jason, well done !
    Quote Originally Posted by dsimonson View Post
    Yup, gotta add my "nice stuff, looking good" Jason!
    Peter, Dale - Thanks very much! I appreciate your following along and commenting.

Regards,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    Looks great! She's going to be a lovely boat. Will you do a sawn piece right next to the coming up front?
    Cheers!

Mike
    Grabbing scraps of time where I can, I am making slow progress to finish the deck. To finish the starboard side by the coaming, I made a little plywood pattern and then made up a piece of fir that fits.

Pattern:
    [IMG]Untitled by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

Fir:

kinda sorta how it will look finished:
    [IMG]Untitled by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]s

Almost done with the deck! Today's work was to fit the king plank into the deck. For the fir strips: I did not trust my ability to cut all the ends accurately, plus I needed extra length to bend them into a fair curve. So, I ended up with ends to clean up. I had the foresight to not glue them after they crossed the line of the king plank area.

Even though I did not trust my ability to cut all the ends accurately, I am fairly confident that I can cut a straight line with a knife wall........

First, I used a washer to draw a straight line with consistent spacing that matched the other caulking joints.

Then use a steel straightedge and a marking knife to score a line; start with a light touch and subsequently deepen the cut with 2-3 more passes:

(Take a break, coffee, and then sharpen a good chisel)

Then cut into the knife wall. I really love the tactile nature of hand tool work: if that knife wall is there, the chisel when cutting sounds/feels like "slice, slice, thunk." And you know you're there, stop. (Acknowledgement: thanks Paul Sellers for great videos on this; knife wall joinery really helped amp up my accuracy when it counts.)

Break out a saw and saw in the established knife wall :

And it's in:

One last tiny cut piece to add on the port side, and the all the doug fir laminate is laid! Woo-hoo. Like all milestones, I never thought I'd see the day: "Wow, I con't believe the hull is done" "Holy crap, it's painted" "Wow, I never thought I would see the deck on the boat" etc. etc. etc.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I think that on a traditionally built (i.e., no ply nor epoxy) deck, the planks are shaped and laid down, then the king plank is worked out with a pattern? But for those of you that may have done a laminated deck over plywood like I did here, what was your method to accomplish the above task? I am curious how others may have tackled it, and how it worked out. I am pretty happy with the results with this method.
    Last edited by JasonD; 01-12-2018 at 04:06 PM.

The rear deck was considerably easier, and I cut each piece to fit - far less bending into curves back there.

There's quite a bit of clean up and adjusting to be done, but for now I am going to sit back and enjoy looking at the fir deck.

Thanks Jason. I just looked at the Paul Sellers blog and learned the word knifewall. A useful term, and a good reminder to keep tools sharp so that we're not just compressing the fibers of the wood.

Carry on!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Next up are the rub rails, made from sapele. The same stock that the coamings came from provided the starting point. 12mm x 28 mm, with a bit of bend similar to the sheer strake. I needed to steam them to safely bend (yes, snapped one), and now they are relaxing into the bend and cooling off. At this stage, it is just about adjusting to the curve.

Last edited by JasonD; 01-19-2018 at 05:13 PM.

She's a beaut! Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by ahamaywine View Post
    She's a beaut! Good work.
    Thanks! I appreciate you following along and commenting.

It seemed like a good day to varnish!

The varnish is Epiphanes high gloss, thinned 50% for the first coat. Above you can see the difference between first coat on raw wood (tiller) and first coat over 3 coats of clear-coat epoxy. The tiller really drank it in.

Above is the center board trim that had a few coats of oil rubbed in. But Jason, how's that going to work? Varnish over oil? Yeah, I don't know, but I will report back the results.

Same with the above.

Sometimes I do stuff that seems like it will work out great but without having any actual facts or previous experience. So, if this doesn't work out, don't let me complain.