Page 1 of 13 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida Beg-Meil

Default Florida Beg-Meil

After much time lurking and just reading about all of the fun to had by building my own wooden boat, I finally took the plunge and started my build of Francois Vivier's Beg-Meil.

Per Vivier's site, Beg-Meil is a traditional gaff-rigged sloop day sailor. It is elegant and seaworthy with its half-deck and varnished wood coamings. I love the traditional look, and there are ample opportunities to make it very "yachty" with a laid deck and just the right brightwork.

One of the best things I read on the forum was to select your boat according to your criteria. I needed to sail single handed or with a crew of up to 3 or 4. She is easy to launch and recover, even for a single person. And at 4.5 meters, she'll fit (tightly!) in my garage if I had to store her there.

She is planked over plywood bulkheads using marine plywood lapstrakes. Although I took a great lofting class at the Great Lakes Wooden Boat School, I wanted to actually sail a boat in this lifetime; build time is scarce balancing with family and work. So I opted to buy the full size patterns. They give the shape of planks, stem, transom, bulkheads, and many other parts.

Last edited by JasonD; 11-23-2015 at 10:28 AM.

Default Re: Florida Beg-Meil

Using Vivier's mylar full-sized patterns was fairly easy to trace bulkheads.....but it took 6 bosch 20 TPI jigsaw blades to cut them!!

If you don't loft, cutting the transom is that moment when you first start to visualize your boat in the physical world! Notice I forgot to cut the notch on the starboard side? The Sapele grain is wild but pleasing to my eye.

Welcome to the Forum. A big help will be reading John Hartmann's thread, "An Ilur in Vermont" right here in Building and Repair. It's the same hull as yours, but not gaff-rigged. He's building his from a kit. Check it out and keep us up to date.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

As much as I wanted to slap everything up on the strongback, I followed sage advice and began coating with epoxy (and later paint) now. It is much easier, I am sure, on an unencumbered, open, flat horizontal surface!! I am using West System with the 206 slow hardener (Florida is HOT!!) and 207 Special Clear for the stuff to be finished bright. Not too shabby for a 100% newbie with epoxy.....

Looks like the start of a great thread. Keep those photos coming!
    -Dave

My plan, as it stands now, is to keep the visible bulkheads fore and aft finished bright. So far the final coats of West System 207 are looking fairly decent - in this pic the bulkhead on the right is all sanded with the final coat of epoxy. Who knows, I may also paint it, it is just okume....I have interlux 2-part perfection paint in white, so we will see how that looks whenever I can get to it (after clearing out all the dust!! I guess having a finish room is a stretch for a home/garage shop....)

More pieces and parts....here is the inner stem and transom knee (I think that is what it is called....). There are a bit rougher, but very sturdy, as they are not visible parts in the finished boat.

The False Stem.....Vivier's plan is to laminate one from umpteen pieces of 3 mm pieces of wood. Two things happened: 1) I got a piece of Sapele with grain I absolutely fell in love with, and 2) I imagined the slippery, sticky mess I would have laminating all those pieces. The sawn false stem seems plenty strong, and there is mention of this method in more than a few books (Outread, Brooks, Rossl, etc.), so I am reasonably confident. Any opinions on this decision? P.S. This pic doesn't do the grain justice....I will wet it down after a good clean up and post a better pic when I can....
    Last edited by JasonD; 09-20-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Welcome to the Forum. A big help will be reading John Hartmann's thread, "An Ilur in Vermont" right here in Building and Repair. It's the same hull as yours, but not gaff-rigged. He's building his from a kit. Check it out and keep us up to date.
    Thanks Rich!! I can use all the help I can get, so I will read that one. I enjoyed Gary Davis' thread and many great pictures as well. Maybe we can get an Ilur/Beg-Meil racing class started here States-side!!

The center board case was interesting, and my very first experience with fiberglass cloth. All in all not a horrible experience. But I did glue up one of the sides wrong - they have to be mirror images of each other, so each 'inside' (with the groove) matches with the other 'inside' piece. They can't be identical, but rather mirror images of each other. I didn't pay attention and had that stomach-sinking feeling as I mumbled "hey....., that is not gonna fit right.....Aw #$!@#@%!!" In any event, cranking out another side was quick. And now I have "Dry Fit!" along with "Think" and "Measure Twice, Cut Once" hanging up in the shop.

Another gut-wrenching event: after a pleasant evening milling the white oak for the frame inside this C.B.C., I then read with much horror several stories about how impossible it is to epoxy white oak. After a small panic, I consulted West System's great web page and followed their advice: some good sanding with 80 grit and a wipe with denatured alcohol, and viola! a joint I would trust my life with. The wood will shear before that joint breaks. So white oak can be epoxied after all......
    Last edited by JasonD; 09-20-2013 at 06:00 AM.

I'd be a little suspect of that false stem with the cross grain where it turns. Laminating stems isn't so bad. I've done it many times. But, you've got a long way to go before you'll be needing that piece of the puzzle.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

All built, just needs a bit of clean up around the edges and installation of the hardwood trim...I plan to use more of the Sapele

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I'd be a little suspect of that false stem with the cross grain where it turns. Laminating stems isn't so bad. I've done it many times. But, you've got a long way to go before you'll be needing that piece of the puzzle.
    Yes, I was too, so sandwiched inside two outside layers is 1/4" piece with grain running perpendicular to what you see. So in a way, it is laminated....not sure if that changes the assessment, but either way, as you say, I have a long time until this is needed. Thanks for the feedback.

Looks great. Please keep us posted. Where are you? There is green stuff outside so you must be up north?

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the build. I'll be watching with interest
    cheers
    Greg
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Looks great. Please keep us posted. Where are you? There is green stuff outside so you must be up north?
    I'm in central Florida - lots of lakes but little predictable wind. However, both coasts are only an hour away, give or take. And Tampa Bay is a phenomenal sailing area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I'll be following this thread with a lot of interest. I've purchased plans for an Oughtred Sooty Tern (it'll be a while before I can start building) but Vivier's Seil 18 was a close second choice. They both design beautiful boats with what I think is a fantastic blend of traditional designs and modern construction techniques.

In anticipation of getting around to building my boat (gotta clean out the garage first!) I've been wondering about the inner stems a lot. Oughtred's book says something along the lines of: you can laminate a stem, but it's a lot of work and mess and waste, or you can use a sawn stem, built up in layers like yours with the inner layer grain perpendicular, which is simpler, faster, and just as strong. But I've read a lot of posts on this forum and seen a lot of blogs and videos, and it seems like nearly everyone favors the laminated stems. I don't understand why.
    …it was not unusual for English boatbuilders to submerge teak logs for 25 to 30 years before sawing them into planks and drying them, a practice that enhances the wood's dimensional and color stability. -"Woodenboat" #234, p. 76

Deadlines and boats don't go well together. -Bill Thomas, boatbuilder

Tagged.

Good luck, always thought the B-M was a very sexy boat for the length.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

I've been wondering about the inner stems a lot. Oughtred's book says something along the lines of: you can laminate a stem, but it's a lot of work and mess and waste, or you can use a sawn stem, built up in layers like yours with the inner layer grain perpendicular, which is simpler, faster, and just as strong. But I've read a lot of posts on this forum and seen a lot of blogs and videos, and it seems like nearly everyone favors the laminated stems. I don't understand why.[/QUOTE]

I have just started the sawn stern post for Mariette. A fully laminated section will be somewhat stronger due to the extra gluelines, but how much stronger do you need it to be? One of the main reasons i chose this method was i dont enjoy working with epoxy and the idea of a dripping great slippery mass of thin timbers on a jig being pulled into shape is real messy. I have done it both ways.

Jason D, welcome and good choice of boat, you look to being doing great so far.

Nice..........thanks for sharing and looking forward to updates.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

You know,this ain't fair! You guys starting your builds before me!
    Ian bet you wish you were building in Florida rather than Sweden! Hope your shop is heated!
    Even here in yorkshire it can get quite nippy but nothing like Sweden does.
    if i am fortunate or not will begin building end Oct will have catch up!!! No problem once you see the design!?
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesh View Post
    You know,this ain't fair! You guys starting your builds before me!
    Ian bet you wish you were building in Florida rather than Sweden! Hope your shop is heated!
    Even here in yorkshire it can get quite nippy but nothing like Sweden does.
    if i am fortunate or not will begin building end Oct will have catch up!!! No problem once you see the design!?
    James
    Ahh....Yorkshire in the fall is nice. I am Univ. of Leeds alumnus...spent a year roaming around Yorkshire in the mid nineties. It sure does get dark early, but that is just more time for boatbuilding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

You're off to a good start. Another thread worth following.

Nice work, a very nice design. Don't rush... just progress along where you feel comfortable and are having fun. Keep posting pics...

thanks for a nice thread.

RodB

http://

The Beg-Meil is a beautiful boat! It amazes me how "shippy" she looks with a deck and the gaff sloop rig. You made a fine choice; thanks for sharing the pictures of your build. Doing the encapsulation and some of the painting before assembly is a good idea. I did some while the Ilur was in skeleton stage, especially in the places which will be hard to reach after planking. Keep up the good work, and keep the pictures coming!

Thanks for all the great feedback. It is surely true that a boat build project is as much about the journey as the destination. I needed 40- some years of life (and lots of sloppy work from rushing) to teach me patience, to take the time to do it right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I spent a few hours today putting a second coat of epoxy on some things, and finished off by gluing together the transom. One of Vivier's options for the transom is to glue together two pieces of 9 mm plywood. They seem thin but with two plys and epoxy, it is deceptively strong for the weight. It took six 'pumps' of resin and six of hardener, plus silica to get enough goop on all the surface to ensure sufficient squeeze out. I used clamps plus the old paint can weight trick.

One thing that keeps bugging me, though, is what to do about the end grain plywood showing on the top edge of the transom. Not so much about water getting in, but how it will look. I guess I will have to see it when it is done, but I keep having thoughts about hardwood trim, veneer, something....but maybe that is crazy and the exposed plywood edge will look fine. We'll see.... Anyone have experience with this "dilemma?"

http://

On the sawn frames for FV's Ilur kit, I followed his instructions, and glued 3mm mahogany trim pieces to cover the ply edge grain.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
    One thing that keeps bugging me, though, is what to do about the end grain plywood showing on the top edge of the transom. Not so much about water getting in, but how it will look. I guess I will have to see it when it is done, but I keep having thoughts about hardwood trim, veneer, something....but maybe that is crazy and the exposed plywood edge will look fine. We'll see.... Anyone have experience with this "dilemma?"
    I surprised myself on my Echo Bay Dory Skiff which has ply end grain...it looks OK. Seal it up extra good with epoxy sand it smooth to 180 and it will look OK, IMHO.

You'll love how BM sails. She is truly beautiful.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

I dont have issue with seeing end grain ply, but an alternative is to router off say a 6mm depth and cap it with a hardwood of your choice.

Hey Jason. I'm in Bhutan for a few weeks more and will get in touch when I return.

Looks great so far. Keep it up.

Gary

Paint!!

At each step the building of the strongback and setting up the bulkheads seems at once closer and still so far away.....

This one looks a bit rough, but I am just going for the moisture barrier, not looks...it is not a visible part. Gotta fill those counter bore holes, though....