Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida Beg-Meil

Default Re: Florida Beg-Meil

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    Looks great! She's going to be a lovely boat. Will you do a sawn piece right next to the coming up front?

Also, is that a little lead potpourri down there on the left?

Cheers!

Mike
    Thanks Mike! I like your idea: I'll bend them as long as I can, and then the last small piece will be sawn to fit.

Yeah, that is my lead melting pot, and those shavings came off the piece inserted into the rudder. I probably should cover that up to avoid an early senility.

Thanks for looking!

Jason

There's some very nice work there Jason, well done !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Yup, gotta add my "nice stuff, looking good" Jason!

Cheers,
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    There's some very nice work there Jason, well done !
    Quote Originally Posted by dsimonson View Post
    Yup, gotta add my "nice stuff, looking good" Jason!
    Peter, Dale - Thanks very much! I appreciate your following along and commenting.

Regards,
    Jason

Looks great! She's going to be a lovely boat. Will you do a sawn piece right next to the coming up front?
    Cheers!

Mike
    Grabbing scraps of time where I can, I am making slow progress to finish the deck. To finish the starboard side by the coaming, I made a little plywood pattern and then made up a piece of fir that fits.

Pattern:
    [IMG]Untitled by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

Fir:

kinda sorta how it will look finished:
    [IMG]Untitled by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]s

Almost done with the deck! Today's work was to fit the king plank into the deck. For the fir strips: I did not trust my ability to cut all the ends accurately, plus I needed extra length to bend them into a fair curve. So, I ended up with ends to clean up. I had the foresight to not glue them after they crossed the line of the king plank area.

Even though I did not trust my ability to cut all the ends accurately, I am fairly confident that I can cut a straight line with a knife wall........

First, I used a washer to draw a straight line with consistent spacing that matched the other caulking joints.

Then use a steel straightedge and a marking knife to score a line; start with a light touch and subsequently deepen the cut with 2-3 more passes:

(Take a break, coffee, and then sharpen a good chisel)

Then cut into the knife wall. I really love the tactile nature of hand tool work: if that knife wall is there, the chisel when cutting sounds/feels like "slice, slice, thunk." And you know you're there, stop. (Acknowledgement: thanks Paul Sellers for great videos on this; knife wall joinery really helped amp up my accuracy when it counts.)

Break out a saw and saw in the established knife wall :

And it's in:

One last tiny cut piece to add on the port side, and the all the doug fir laminate is laid! Woo-hoo. Like all milestones, I never thought I'd see the day: "Wow, I con't believe the hull is done" "Holy crap, it's painted" "Wow, I never thought I would see the deck on the boat" etc. etc. etc.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I think that on a traditionally built (i.e., no ply nor epoxy) deck, the planks are shaped and laid down, then the king plank is worked out with a pattern? But for those of you that may have done a laminated deck over plywood like I did here, what was your method to accomplish the above task? I am curious how others may have tackled it, and how it worked out. I am pretty happy with the results with this method.
    Last edited by JasonD; 01-12-2018 at 04:06 PM.

The rear deck was considerably easier, and I cut each piece to fit - far less bending into curves back there.

There's quite a bit of clean up and adjusting to be done, but for now I am going to sit back and enjoy looking at the fir deck.

Thanks Jason. I just looked at the Paul Sellers blog and learned the word knifewall. A useful term, and a good reminder to keep tools sharp so that we're not just compressing the fibers of the wood.

Carry on!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Next up are the rub rails, made from sapele. The same stock that the coamings came from provided the starting point. 12mm x 28 mm, with a bit of bend similar to the sheer strake. I needed to steam them to safely bend (yes, snapped one), and now they are relaxing into the bend and cooling off. At this stage, it is just about adjusting to the curve.

Last edited by JasonD; 01-19-2018 at 05:13 PM.

She's a beaut! Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by ahamaywine View Post
    She's a beaut! Good work.
    Thanks! I appreciate you following along and commenting.

It seemed like a good day to varnish!

The varnish is Epiphanes high gloss, thinned 50% for the first coat. Above you can see the difference between first coat on raw wood (tiller) and first coat over 3 coats of clear-coat epoxy. The tiller really drank it in.

Above is the center board trim that had a few coats of oil rubbed in. But Jason, how's that going to work? Varnish over oil? Yeah, I don't know, but I will report back the results.

Same with the above.

Sometimes I do stuff that seems like it will work out great but without having any actual facts or previous experience. So, if this doesn't work out, don't let me complain.

Sometime creative clamping solutions are needed in boat building:

An amazing building! The wood on the centerboard box is beautiful. Which wood is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by PierreDesvaux View Post
    An amazing building! The wood on the centerboard box is beautiful. Which wood is it ?
    Thanks! The wood here (and all the mahogany-shade wood on my boat) is sapele. I have a plank that has pommele grain when ripped. From the wood DB, "Besides the common ribbon pattern seen on quartersawn boards, Sapele is also known for a variety of other figured grain patterns, such as: pommele, quilted, mottled, wavy, beeswing, and fiddleback.

That board was the result of surfing eBay and finding a treasure, saying “yeah, I can use that someday” so I snagged it and held on to it.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Oh, and the side trim was put on because of a cosmetic issue (aka mistake!), proving the old adage “it’s not the mistakes you make, but how well you deal with them.”

Default Double rub-rail?

What do y'all think of two rails on the sheer strake?

Default Re: Double rub-rail?

What a beautiful build!!!

I love the double rail. I had considered installing one on my Ilur but then opted against it... I can't even remember why... perhaps I thought it would be too tricky to do well. Clearly you won't have a problem.

Default Re: Double rub-rail?

Quote Originally Posted by cmosheh View Post
    What a beautiful build!!!

I love the double rail. I had considered installing one on my Ilur but then opted against it... I can't even remember why... perhaps I thought it would be too tricky to do well. Clearly you won't have a problem.
    Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it! I am going to try it, as well as a bit of bow carving....we'll see how that all works out.

My stock for the main thwart was too thick by more than a 1/4 inch, and it seems such a waste to turn all that ribbon-grained sapele into little chips via the thickness planer. Also, I need a bit of nice looking stock for the back rest coaming that separates the rear deck from cockpit. So, I decided to re-saw the thwart to get a veneer I can add to some unremarkable sapele to make it remarkable. I usually have issues with re-sawing, and often I rip a kerf with the tablesaw first then follow along with the bandsaw. But not enough thickness on this piece. So I installed a new 1" carbide still blade with a 2 tooth hook pattern. I happened to get this one from Grizzly....

It worked great! Got a thick veneer as planned and the remaining stock for the thwart is darn near flat on the cut side - just some light planing will clean it up. Lots of tension on this blade to provide the beam strength to keep it from bowing. And an improvised add-on to the fence helped support the wood as I made the cut.

The cut side of the thwart looks pretty good, not my usually wobbly lookin' terrain that needs significant planing:

Guess that proves again that with the right tool (in this case the right blade, and sharp!) things just work out much better. All in all it worked well and I am glad to have saved the nice looking grain for a useful piece of the boat rather than the sawdust bin.
    Last edited by JasonD; 01-24-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Um... you might need to show us more pictures of that bench...

Nice rub rails too!
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Um... you might need to show us more pictures of that bench...

Nice rub rails too!
    Dude, no one ever had to ask me twice for pictures of my bench! (Yeah, I am a little bit proud of it) My wife jokes that I have more pictures of my bench on my phone than pictures of my kids! Other than dimensioning the stock, I did all the other work by hand - really trying to build up the skills and craftsmanship. I guess I'm hooked - hand tool bug (when appropriate - still love my tablesaw and bandsaw!) and boat building bug. Between those and sailing, I am all set for hobbies for the rest of my natural life......

[IMG]IMG_2161 by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2177 by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2186 by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2183 by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

part 2

[IMG]IMG_2172 by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2170 by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2166 by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2185 by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2163 by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

So thanks for asking! If anyone is thinking about building a bench, I highly recommend it. Improved my skill via the build experience....and now it improves my results through unparalleled work holding. When that leg vise is clamped shut, that wood is not moving! really allows for accurate work, more than I really knew....so I knew that clamping stuff to rickety saw horses wasn't good, but I really didn't appreciate how much good work holding improves every aspect of things.

Benchcrafted hardware - wood spend the $ again, totally worth it.

Emmert vise - mostly just because I wanted one, could do without it, but when I found one on ebay for less than $175 I jumped..(Yeah, I probably spend too much time on ebay.)

Primary wood is Movingui (also called Nigerian Satinwood) - found a huge lot of it on ebay for soft maple bf pricing. I think this lot wasn't figured enough to saw down to veneers and gunstock blanks; really only that front piece is really nice, the rest was pretty plain. So, it was sold as 8/4 lumber - perfect! The drawers are made from Sapele, had more than what was needed for the boat.

OMG, nice bench!! No wonder that boat looks so good! ;-)

Cheers,
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by dsimonson View Post
    OMG, nice bench!! No wonder that boat looks so good! ;-)

Cheers,
    Dale
    Thanks Dale! I appreciate your following along and commenting.

About the time I think I do fairly decent work, some one comes along to make me feel like a complete amateur. (I wanted to say hack!)That is absolutely stunning, as well as practical work. Can't imagine what that might cost on Ebay! You could make a living just selling those! Well done doesn't begin to say it!

Quote Originally Posted by KenStocker View Post
    About the time I think I do fairly decent work, some one comes along to make me feel like a complete amateur. (I wanted to say hack!)That is absolutely stunning, as well as practical work. Can't imagine what that might cost on Ebay! You could make a living just selling those! Well done doesn't begin to say it!
    Ken - thanks for your kind words! I too am an amateur, someone who does this out of the love of it rather than to make a living. If any work of mine is of good quality, it benefits from the great teachers I've had (in person, virtual, and via books)..... Harry Bryan and John Brooks at WBS come to mind, Paul Sellers and Geoff Kerr via internet, Off Center Harbor videos, and too many books to name (but Chappelle of course, and I really liked Greg Rossel's). And thank you to the universe for teaching me the value of patience, not rushing, taking the time to do it right.

Edit: and how could I forget all of the great build threads on this forum! To name just a few that I benefited from - John Hartman's Ilur in Vermont, Gary Davis Montana Beg-Meil, Rich Jones Building the Hvalsoe 13, Building the D18 Myst, A 21' South Bay Catboat By William & John Atkin, made in france, Building the Maid (just darn good inspiration), and so many more....

But I am also benefiting from selective photo angles! I rarely focus in on the sloppy fairing (or really lack of fairing) I did in the beginning on my plank scarfs. And I never photograph the botched glue-line on the portside sheer-strake (I still cringe when I recall sanding too long on the glue line, opening up the ugly scarf......yeah, I am still noodling, years later, how I plan to cover that up, as I just can't bear to cut out the plank and do it again.) All these things have taught me as well.....with a bit of emotional turmoil, but a good lesson in the end. Perhaps the next boat will benefit from them.

But most of all, I am grateful for the love of the craft, that love that makes us all amateurs. < French, Middle French < Latin amātor lover,(stem of amāre to love)
    Last edited by JasonD; 01-28-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Default Rub Rail Port Side

I had an hour this morning so I attached the rub rail on the port side. The first iteration was just rounded on each edge facing outboard, but it looked inelegant, clumsy. I kept the round on the top, and put a severe chamfer on the bottom and also rounded. I thought the second shape looked better....boatier....sexier. I also trimmed the height of the piece as it approached the bow, from about 15" back, so it would have the appearance of "swooping" upwards like the plank and boat.

I don't like screw heads on a rub rail, so I guess I get to pick out the bungs down the road when it needs replaced.

Thanks for following along, and happy boat building / sailing / forum-surfing.

Last edited by JasonD; 02-04-2018 at 11:36 AM.

I so agree with you about the love of the craft. (Yes, both crafts!) I have often said that one of the things I love about woodworking is that God makes wood in so many beautiful and amazing variations, and then I come along and shape them a little and look like a genius! You've got some gorgeous stuff there, and are doing a great job of "shaping them a little"!

Just a bit of time to work on the boat, so I finished shaping the starboard rub rail. I was really pleased, the compound angle cut to meet the stem worked out really well right off the bench using a bevel gauge......usually with me there is the first rough hack and then lots of adjusting.

Last edited by JasonD; 03-03-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Also, I need a bit of tackle for the steel centerboard, so I have been looking all over for merriman bros. blocks disguised as junk. I have been pretty successful finding them cheap and then making them look a bit flashier:

The two on the left need a bit more work, but so far I am pleased with how they look. And of course, they spin like the day they were made. Merriman Brothers made some quality stuff it would seem.

darkness covers the land...

A lot of sanding in my future......