Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: Macgregor Canoe

Default Re: Macgregor Canoe

I built several sets of lugsails for those boats over the years, all with a modified panel layout for the mainsail. The layout shown on the plan would be cheaper to build, but it violates one of the basic principles of sailmaking. You generally line up the weave of the fabric square to the leech edge of the sail. Otherwise the leech will be prone to stretching out over time and flapping. Building the sail properly will both work better and look better.

mac-plan-mods.jpg

macgregor-lugs.jpg

Good to see she is progressing. Did I mention I still have mine and her sailing rig is a lateen made from an old Mirror jib?
    Only had it non the water once however. My 40 year old wooden Sabre needed some TLC over winter, I was buildung a pond yacht and there is a half restored Cadet in my shop that has to be on the water by January for the Classic Wooden Dinghy Regatta of which I am part of the committee.

Thanks Todd and Skuthorp for the tips, I had some sails made up a little while ago by a local sail maker, you can see them here, where I have just finished my first or second attempt at tying them on. I was running low on line length so the Mizzen is a couple of different colours and uses robands secured with a simple reef knot.

The bottom is loose footed.

Back to the pedals for a moment, and I decided to attach them in a piece of that 4mm stainless rod, which necessiated having a hole right through the pedals... This caused my some concern as the drilling of said hole needed to be done pretty accuratley. A simple Jig was setup to facilitate some straighter than normal drilling.

With the end result being a couple of pedals that were able to be slid onto the stainless round bar.

Getting closer
    My First Boat Build:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...acgregor-Canoe
    Iain Oughtred - Macgregor Canoe - 15 foot

Quote Originally Posted by simonmags View Post
    Thanks Todd and Skuthorp for the tips, I had some sails made up a little while ago by a local sail maker, you can see them here, where I have just finished my first or second attempt at tying them on. I was running low on line length so the Mizzen is a couple of different colours and uses robands secured with a simple reef knot.

When you get some more line, robands have a short leg and a long leg that makes a round turn around the yard before being tied off. These days they are cow hitched through the cringles around the head roping.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

After a bit more head scratching about how to make this all work together, the pedals have progressed forward again.

so now that's underway onto one of those other jobs waiting patiently to be finished, here's the final shaping on the mold for the midway seat back.

I didn't get any photo's of the glue up, I vacuum bagged it again, tried to get some video, but I was busy chasing some small leaks in the Bag. So here's the seat back after it came off the mold and was offered up to the bandsaw for some initial shaping.

You can see some little pieces to go around the mast hole in the deck there too.

Add a bit of Varnish to everything and voila, pieces looking a bunch more finished (prepped with a couple of coats of Epoxy before the Varnish and some more sanding, because who doesn't love sanding!)

A bit of fitting to see how it works in the boat and make sure my clearances are all okay still after the varnish was added. and things got screwed and glued into place

My First Boat Build:

Here we can see that the Pedals have been fitted and the midway seat is in place and the Varnish has all been done. I've even started tying some lines in place to make the rudder work

I stole some little plastic toggles from my old tent to make the lines adjustable, and as the seat overhangs a little it makes a handy spot to route the lines under.

A while ago I made up a couple of little toggle handles to go at the bow and stern to make lifting the Canoe a bit easier, after looking at the sail plans again, I dug around in the shed and found an old pulley that looks like it may be suitable, we'll see how it goes for now anyway.

Must get some Liquid dip or something similar for the end of all those cut lines too...

One last photo, because I can and for your general amusement.

Hope you are enjoying the thread and the progress half as much as me.
    My First Boat Build:

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    When you get some more line, robands have a short leg and a long leg that makes a round turn around the yard before being tied off. These days they are cow hitched through the cringles around the head roping.

Hey Nick, thanks for the reply, can you give us some more information on lacing the sails, this being all new to me, and having only read about these things on the Internet and the few boating books that I have. I haven't seen much information on rowbands, but am interested to know more about the method you are talking about here. I'm using Spectra for my lines which is probably overkill.

You can see the main sail in that photo too, which I have laced as per the picture below, which is probably wrong as well.

That's from:The Gaff Rig Handbook: History, Design, Techniques, Developments

By John Leather
    My First Boat Build:

It is generally a better idea to lace a sail to the yard using individual robands than with any sort of continuous lacing. If a roband fails, it is not a big deal, if a spot fails with continuous lacing, then they all can fail. Individual robands also don't allow the tension to migrate in use, which tends to change the sail shape, and seldom in a good way.

Blimey, I look at your pics of a pristine new build and then at Felicite and realise what 15 years odd wear and tear does despite irregular maintenance. Of course mine is a salt water craft, I expect that on a fresh water the weathering would not be so extreme. My floor boards lasted about 6 months and are up in the loft, the seat and pedals even less. The 'waterproof' hatches were never satisfactory despite several efforts and were replaced with screw types, that are not waterproof in a swamping. If I was sailing her more I'd move the hatches to the deck, but I have 2 other (soon to be 3) sailboats. I think that next winter she will get a complete strip and restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Blimey, I look at your pics of a pristine new build and then at Felicite.
    Hey skuthorp, do you have any pictures of your sailing rig? Looking for some pictures of how any one has the uphaul and downhaul lines setup and where they are attached to the main mast and how etc.

Cheers
    My First Boat Build:

Finally have something to send into the Launchings section of the Magazine. Yay!

Now all I need to do is learn how to Sail and fix up a few things like how the downhaul lines are affixed and I'm done.
    My First Boat Build:

Quote Originally Posted by simonmags View Post
    Hey Nick, thanks for the reply, can you give us some more information on lacing the sails, this being all new to me, and having only read about these things on the Internet and the few boating books that I have. I haven't seen much information on rowbands, but am interested to know more about the method you are talking about here. I'm using Spectra for my lines which is probably overkill.

You can see the main sail in that photo too, which I have laced as per the picture below, which is probably wrong as well.

That's from:The Gaff Rig Handbook: History, Design, Techniques, Developments

By John Leather
    Better than spiral lacing, but not the best. You should alternate clockwise and anti clockwise. So where those lacings go straight down the luff they should come back round on the same side.

laceing.jpg
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    I built several sets of lugsails for those boats over the years, all with a modified panel layout for the mainsail. The layout shown on the plan would be cheaper to build, but it violates one of the basic principles of sailmaking. You generally line up the weave of the fabric square to the leech edge of the sail. Otherwise the leech will be prone to stretching out over time and flapping. Building the sail properly will both work better and look better.
    Thanks for this Info Todd, I had indeed seen it previously on one of your threads or on this thread. Not knowing much about sails and not being willing this time around to have a go at making them, I left it with the sailmaker. Next set I get though I will certainly hope to have learned a bit more and to be able to tell the leech from the clew

I've has some little Hatch dogs to hold down the 2 internal bulkhead hatches on the Canoe for a while, it's now time to modify them a little bit. These are great little Delrin dogs and the only modification is to give my fingers some more purchase when closing or opening them when they are under some pressure.

so out comes the little vice and some suitable stainless is found in the shed and voila we have an 'improved' hatch dog...

And here's another shot of the Canoe out on the water with the mainsail down, it's lovely to paddle but I must look at getting a double bladed paddle for it.

On the To Do List still:

- The line to pull up the rudder isn't working so great because of the angles involved, need to modify the way the line runs to pull up more effectively on the rudder when I want it up out of the water.
    - Fix up the Canoe pedal mounts, I broke a bit off so haven't been using them for the last few trips but would like them back in the boat.
    - Design, make and mount some fishing rod holders.
    - some little deck cleats to tie off the uphaul/downhaul lines on the rudder.

Cheers and happy boating
    My First Boat Build: