Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Macgregor Canoe

Default Re: Macgregor Canoe

By the by, I realised I'd missed a photo of the Ellipse Router Jig I made up. If I was doing it again I would take more time working out how to make it more adjustable.

This is one of the first images when you google image search on "Ellipse Router Jig"

Was very handy in building my version

Cheers
    My First Boat Build:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...acgregor-Canoe
    Iain Oughtred - Macgregor Canoe - 15 foot

Happy New Year everyone,

Does anyone have any tips on how to clamp the deck down while the glue sets?

That's my next challenge, I've seen some good attempts, but they mostly used push down stick to clamp from the roof down to the deck, which isn't such an easy option for me in the canoe's current location.

Will post some photos soon as I managed to get a couple of little things done over the Christmas break.

This is a quick photo of the leeboard rub rail, with the boat back upside down for fitting

My First Boat Build:

Well I said I would put a new couple of pictures up and here are a couple, I started work on pouring the lead for the leeboard a few days back. I started with finding a suitable shape to cut out, I settled on this fairly simple shape ang glued it down with some PVA.

I then cut out the basic shape and drilled out some slots for the lead to key into...

Applied a piece of scrap ply to the bottom and started pouring in some lead...

My First Boat Build:

Then started out doing a little bit of shaping of the leeboard

After most of the shaping was completed

I went back to doing some filleting and sanding and the like to make a nice clean surface for the paint to be applied too.

I also started some work on the remaining spars, I have them all down to 8 sides, now it's just working out the easiest way to get them to 16 sides. At this stage I'm just planning to use a handplane...

Filled in a few little knots and holes with Epoxy and some black pigmentation.
    My First Boat Build:

Then put 3 coats of wet on wet epoxy down for the topside of what will be the deck.

After sanding it back, I managed to fit the, currently, bif square deck in between the stems, I have since rough cut it out, leaving it a little large.

So now we are pretty well up to date, still need to work out the best way to have the deck clamped down, I am trying to avoid using too many screws as I want to finish the deck in clear, with a white/cream inside and racing green outside type paint scheme.
    My First Boat Build:

''with a white/cream inside and racing green outside type paint scheme.''

That should look good Simon but I have murmur in the back of my head suggesting a spot , plank ? of bright yellow on the centre of the bottom for visibility should things end up the wrong way up ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I used bungies to pull down my Wee Rob's plywood decks. The plywood was cut oversize and trimmed back after the epoxy had set:

"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors". African Proverb

Brilliant, thanks Songolo, I have enough excess on the deck sides most of the way around that this should be an easy solution for me Hadn't even though of pulling down on the excess.
    My First Boat Build:

I might add that all of the Mac's shown here put mine to shame in finish standard, especially after a decades use in a shallow volcanic bay and some touring in the excessively salt Koorong. Plays heck with a wooden boat.

Hey , at least your`e using it !

Isn`t that also called " patina "?

They are all nice boats.

Nice work Simon.

So I got my final coats of epoxy down on the outer hull on Sunday. Had a few friendly visitors over the day.

So it temporarily looks nice and shiny, until I start sanding it again to get rid of some of the runs and drips in the glue. I did 3 coats of wet on wet to avoid sanding between coats.

Next is some light sanding to the outside, and another coat or 2 on the inside.
    Happy Monday
    My First Boat Build:

Not too much been happening on the boat latley, started rounding down the spars from 8 sided to round(ish)....

Just for fun started working on making a wooden paddle too, with a slightly curved blade just to make it interesting.

Also managed to get a hold of a neat little manual bilge pump that I'll be able to keep in the boat for just a few beers

Also took the boat up to Duck Flats to get it painted as I didn't want to set myself up for spray painting with 2 pack paint. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm happy to give it to someone who has a dedicated painting room and the requisite painting guns and saftey gear. I decided it was a job for the too hard basket to try and set anything like that up for myself. That and it would be a long time between needing to use it for actual painting, it'll be quite a little while before I need to paint another boat.

Anyway so very happy with the undercoat on the inside of the boat which is a plain white currently, it will be slightly creamier when the next coat goes down. The outside will be British Racing Green.

This base coat got a light sanding before the final inside coat was ready to go on. More pictures of the final paint later on.

Cheers All
    My First Boat Build:

Quote Originally Posted by simonmags View Post
    So I got my final coats of epoxy down on the outer hull on Sunday. Had a few friendly visitors over the day.

It is their only chance at immortality.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Bump...

How's the build coming on?
    "Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors". African Proverb

Hey Songolo, Yes the Canoe is still coming along. I picked up a bag full of sails, I say full of sails, but really the bag looked bigger than the mizzen sail probably is

The inside of the boat has been undercoated and final painted, I was hoping to get the deck glued down, but will wait until the bottom has been painted now I think. So we have our delightful cream coloured insides all done, now onto the undercoat on the outside.

Anyway they say pictures are good, so here's one I prepared earlier which shows me doing some light sanding of the areas where the deck will need to be glued down and or there was some raw wood that needed to be epoxy coated.

So this is with just the undercoat down:

And this is with the finished cream coat down.

Very happy with the finish, made me think about doing a high build primer coat next time, but very happy with the finish currently.

Must go and look at some different varnishes too, as the deck and the spars etc all need some clear coats.

Been a bit slack updating this build thread as I've been enjoying reading through chuck's thread and a few others, lots of good reading on the forum

Cheers
    My First Boat Build:

Got the deck glued down and rolled the canoe over ready for painting the outside. Can't wait to see how it comes up. Ended up just taping the deck down after cutting it out very close to finished size. Will post a photo on Monday when I'm back at the computer.

Arms are feeling less fresh than normal after a little bit of sandpapering on the exterior of the hull.

Need to buy some varnish for the sparse and the deck. What do people use? Single pack or two pack?

Sent from my HTC_PO582 using Tapatalk
    My First Boat Build:

I used 2 pack on the rowing scull. It has lasted quite a few years.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Thanks for the tip Bruce, I'll start looking around for some 2pac Varnish and see what it's worth.

Picture of the deck being glued down as promised.

And something to do in the boat if I get finished sometime this year Go do some fishing, it has a little free spinning handle to make winding the line back on a little easier.

Cheers
    My First Boat Build:

That is a beautiful job Simon, really lovely and looking as if you are on the home run!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Also managed to get a hold of a neat little manual bilge pump that I'll be able to keep in the boat for just a few beers

I'd say that will handle more than just a few beers!

Gorgeous boat, btw!

Cheers,
    John.

Hey Simon, when is Launch Day?

Thought i should show some pictures of the paint job, have been a bit slack updating the thread lately.

Tonights job is to do some resawing, last nights job was to make a fence and a featherboard for the bandsaw table./

Hopefully this goes well and I can use the planer and or stationary sander on the weekend to clean up and resaw marks.

This will make up part of the floor (sole) boards, with a bit of luck.

I also got round to drilling a hole in the kick up rudder and temporarily am using a nail is the pivot pin, but will probably get some stainless stuff made up when I work out the rudder hinge mechanism.

I even went so far as to purchase some Silicon Bronze screws to make it easy to screw on the gunnel rail.

Sadly there is some more sanding in the future for me, as the tape got left on for a reasonable amount of time during the painting process, so will be sanding it lightly to get rid of any masking tape residue.

Cheers
    My First Boat Build:

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Hey Simon, when is Launch Day?
    Good Question

My Answer, No idea. I was hoping to have it all done and in the water for summer, but it seems summer has arrived here already and I still have some things to do...
    My First Boat Build:

So I've started scratching my head about how to complete the floor boards, I'm hoping they just need a taper on one side to make them fit a little better in the bow section where it starts to curve a bit more.

I also cleaned up the rear of the cockpit with the following bit on the router then cleaned it up with a little block plane after I managed to dig in a little too much in one place. It happens.

I also got the outer gunnel, gun wale, gunnel rail, bit of wood that goes on the outside of the boat, pre drilled and counter sunk ready for attaching to the boat with some Epoxy and screws.

Also started pre-bending the pieces of wood that will be used for the cockpit coaming, they seem to be bending pretty well even though they are probably a little on the thick side. The smallest piece of wood on top is just sacrificial and allows for more even pressure on the pieces below. You can hear it cracking sometimes when adding pressure. The wood has been clamped like this for a few days in the hope that it might relax a little bit into the final shape...

Did some varnishing on my paddle too, it certainly looks better in the photo than in person, although it's not too terrible. Not my best work though.

Happy enough to use it for a few years when the wind isn't about though.

Cheers for Looking
    My First Boat Build:

Looking very nice. Similar hull color to my Wee Rob.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything"

Roosevelt, Theodore

Did get a little bit more done on the weekend, spent far too long procrastinating over drilling some holes through the Deck for the Main and Mizzen masts. I thought I would be able to read the locations easily enough after the desk was glued down and do it from underneath, where I already had a hole drilled through the kingplank/mast partner. I was wrong :| Turns out the main mast was easy enough, drilled a pilot hole then used a following bit on the router. It came out very nicely.

The mizzen was a little harder as I needed to use the hole saw, so up went a pilot hole, followed by some approximate measuring (whilst lying inside the boat reaching through the bulkhead working semi upside down). Followed by a hole saw through the deck from the top. The result seems pretty good, will check the main mast when I get the Canoe back out of its current location and have some more head room...

Maybe tonight I will get some photos of the Cockpit Coaming which got glued up over the weekend as well, will see how we go.

Cheers
    My First Boat Build:

I don't know if this would have helped or not, but I set up my boat fairly level, made approx. measurements, drilled a small hole and then ran a string and plumb bob up from inside. The plumb bob told me how far off I was from the existing mast step and so I could measure above and drill accordingly.

Beautiful looking job none the less btw.

Paul M

I'm enjoying watching your fine work Simon. I have the plans of one of these stashed somewhere. Should be a fun sail.
    you don't have too far to go now, keep it up

What Andrew said .

It`s a fine looking craft.

Thanks for posting the updates.

Amazing how much you can get done when you have some very clever and confident people around you pointing you in the right direction.
    Most of us can only imagine!

I'm starting to feel like the slowest builder around...

Lately I've been contemplating the rudder gudgeon and pintle (hinge). I'm thinking of going with some stainless as it is a little more readily available and I can weld it etc a little more easily.

I've seen this one which Dennis used and looks very good and was going to try and do something about the same.

This is the setup that Dennis is running which I would like to copy

I think he's done a brilliant job, which I hope to copy

I'm interested in details on how to actually bend the stainless or bronze into the right shapes if anyone has details handy or more pictures and details of rudder assemblies etc...

Thanks
    My First Boat Build:

I use a long trailing rudder due to the extremely shallow water I often sail in, just a few inches at times.

And I have long abandoned my floor boards and repurposed them.
    Boat looks great, mine is due for stripping and some repairs this winter coming. !4 years or thereabouts.

I'm pretty hesitant to abandon the floor boards this early on particularly as I used 4mm ply for the hull. I really don't want to accidentally put my foot through it or something like that...

But I gather the weight savings and the slightly lower centre of gravity would be a good thing.

For now I'll persevere with fitting the floor boards in place. I made a little progress on the weekend, started planing down the inner coaming to get it level and the excess squeeze out of epoxy cleaned up. Should with a little luck finish that tonight and be able to dry fit it again.

Cheers
    My First Boat Build:

I started with the boards, and the pedal rudder arrangement but in any sort of a breeze I found that unsuitable. Anyhow an important part of sailing her involves moving about, shifting the lee board back and forth and at times you don't actually need the rudder. The bottom boards just seemed to be left out as a natural course after a while. Rather like the amah I made for rough weather and only used twice. I do have the standard rudder hanging on my shed wall.
    Have I said earlier I carry sand bags as ballast when sailing alone. She's not so tender and twitchy.

Hello Simon, how is it going?

I've been following your progress for few years now. I started building my MacGregor canoe about half a year later than you but I've been too lazy to create an account to woodenboat forum an report my progress...

Now that is corrected, I started my own MacGregor build thread and you can see some pictures of my progress here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/136710...57664811132171

I hope I'll be sailing by the end of the summer...

Juho

Hi Juho,

Yeah the canoe is still going along, got to do a little few bits and pieces on it a couple of weeks ago, have been a bit distracted lately as i bought a new jigsaw puzzle and have been spending some time doing some work on that.

But here's a picture from the other day, this is of the outside gunnel rails, which will be screwed and glued into place on the outside of the sailing canoe.

Then I started redoing the cockpit coaming, as the first lamination that I had done wasn't any good, only had 3 lams in it of different thicknesses and it just all went bad and split in multiple places, cut it up for kindling

Here's the new one in process.

I started getting some bits ready to put a final epoxy coat and some varnish on as well.

Of course straight after that I needed the workbench for something else so had to clear it all off again.

more to come...
    Last edited by simonmags; 04-12-2016 at 01:42 AM. Reason: edit to add text in relation to first photo and spelling
    My First Boat Build: