Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Macgregor Canoe

Default Macgregor Canoe

Some time ago I decided building a wooden boat might be a good idea, since then I've looked at many different designs, my favorites seem to be the big Lobster boats. Figuring that something smaller and somewhat more practical could be a fun place to start I landed on Iain Oughtreds Macgregor Canoe.

At least that's what it could look like So after ordering the plans from the wooden boat store and staring at them for some months, it is finally time to start doing things with wood.

To start with I'm working on getting the Stem laminated, having a little bit of trouble finding some hoop pine at the minute but we'll get there. More pictures to come.

I'm building as per the plans, i.e. no modifications intended. I'll be building the canoe as long as possible too, so that I can take a passenger out some days.

If you have built a Macgregor I'd love to see photos of your steering setups.

Cheers

Default Re: Macgregor Canoe

I built a Mac as my first boat, and recommend it as a great place to start learning. I also began with the thought to try it out as drawn, but I changed the tiller and leeboard arrangement as fast as I could after the first sail.

The leeboard was very, and I mean very awkward as a loose bit tied by a string to the center-line. I made another board, and secured the two using a cam-lock similar to what holds a bicycle wheel. There's enough tension to hold the boards up as desired.

I also installed a slave tiller, using the one thwart as the base. Hopefully the image shows enough of what I did.

I also made her as an open boat (for storage space), and with a canvas cover (for safer sailing), as we used her extensively to camp in the Adirondacks.

Hey Andrew, thanks for the reply, I'd be interested to see some closer photos of the way you have the leeboard setup with the camlock if you have time one day.

So my building really started in earnest the other week, September 26th ish saw the beginning of the first laminations being dry bent around a form. The Macgregor canoe being a double ended lapstrake design there are 2 apron stems, this is the first one.

after the first couple of dry bends i was happy. I had the wood grain oriented all the same way just to make it a little easier to shape later and marked out my points. I did also change my clamp setup, I got the hole saw out and put some 40mm holes through both layers of MDF to stick the clamps into. I also waxed the mold so that the Epoxy wouldn't stick to it as much,

Taken back off the molds and most of the baking paper removed. these are still a little long and thick at this stage, but a bit more shaping to come on these later.

On the weekend found some time to plane off some of that clue. I messed up a little in that one stem i only used clear Epoxy, the second stem after re-reading the Gougeoun Bros book, I used some fillers. The fillers did make it a little harder to plane off some of the big lumps, but the rasp made short work of them.

Tuesday, exciting day. First day of real boat building. Thanks to Duck Flat Wooden Boats in Adelaide for having a Spring school that I could join in and build more of this boat.

Up goes the frame and on goes the string line and cross spalls. After that get some station frames cut out.
    My First Boat Build:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...acgregor-Canoe
    Iain Oughtred - Macgregor Canoe - 15 foot

Next day, up go the frames on our new building jig.

Which was bolted to the floor to give it some stability.

After some pfaffing about it was time to have a look and see how the planks were going to sit on the frames.

This is still a work in progress shot, but it gives a great idea of the overall shape and size.

Now onto fairing in the keelson and the stem while the freshly glued plywood scarf joint, which i didn't take many photos of dries...

Slowly creeping up on the angles needed,

And after the scarf joint dried and had been lightly sanded back to remove any excess glue, this was the result.

Now for some scariness, with some help we made up a template and marked, this was screwed down the the frames and the first plank landing was marked on the template. The template was then checked / faired out with a slightly stiffer batten and some minor corrections made, a nail was driven through the template into the plywood at each station frame landing point, as marked on the template and the template was then removed. the batten was once again sprung around the nails on the plywood panel and checked for fairness and a line drawn of the first plank.

A Japanese backed saw was used to cut to the line and then it was sanded with some reasonably course sandpaper on a long block.

The stems were also glued to the keelson and the excess glue cleaned up, thats enough for today really

Tomorrow more planking...
    My First Boat Build:

Quote Originally Posted by simonmags View Post
    Hey, fun! That's my old MacGregor, pic taken at a Port Townsend Festival back at the dawn of time itself. I had no idea that the WoodenBoat Store was using it, but of course I'm pleased as punch.

I used foot pedal steering, just like a sea kayak. You've already got plenty to do with your hands, sailing such a beastie.

Great-looking boat already, Simon! Keep the pics coming.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

While look for batwing sail configurations I found this incredibly sweet morsel.

http://sailsaltsawdust.blogspot.com/...ing-canoe.html

Hey Paul, cheers for the link, I think I'd spotted that macgregor before I started mine. He's done a very nice job. Okay Thorne, here are a couple more photos to amuse you for the weekend

Yesterday I started working on the gains and lands, and learning some more boaty terminology... After getting the first plank done out came the template again to make a template of the second plank. Then early this morning the template came back out to do the third plank. I still need to go back and do the lands and gains on these planks.

But pushing right along this now gives me 3 planks that I can coat with Epoxy and then do some more sanding on Monday and maybe screw them down... Anyway since a picture is worth a thousand words, here are a few more...

Cutting the planks out. Since it is only 4mm ply it's very easy to do by hand. Still getting used to the Japanese saw, but it does a marvelous job.

First three planks on the first dry fit. Still some trimming and adjusting to do, but it's coming along nicely.

All the planks then came back off and were lightly sanded to remove any pencil marks etc and pre coated with Epoxy.

Amazing how much you can get done when you have some very clever and confident people around you pointing you in the right direction. I've managed to avoid having station 6 come after 7 and a few other fun little things this week thanks to them It's also fantastic having such a big and well setup work space with all the tools and wood on hand. Good Times.

Cheers
    My First Boat Build:

Hey James, yes that's a great shot of your boat they are using Do you have any more shots of the interior and steering etc? It looks like your boat was not decked over just had a spreader type thing for the masts to sit in to? It'll be fun for me, learning to sail in this little number and I imagine your dead right about having enough to do without adding rope steering systems
    My First Boat Build:

Hey there,

Sorry for taking so long to respond, you know how that goes...

I glued a block to the outside of the sheer strake, and filled the through-hole with a brass bushing.

On the inside, I screwed a bronze plate to keep the wood from getting crushed. You might be able to see that the hole is octagonal. I experimented with having the cam on the outside as well as on the inside. The board has a bronze plate with the same octagonal hole to hold the head of the bolt and keep it from moving. I ended up liking the cam on the inside.

Here you might be able to just make out the cam on the opposite side.

And an indulgent shot of her, pre-toddler days, when Jenny and I were able to get out and camp. Little Ella may be getting old enough where we can start this up again.

Thanks for that Andrew, Is the brass half round strip in the rubbing strake more for looks or does it stop the lee board from running too much on the boat?

Great to see a few pictures of the different Macgregors out there. I'm at the stage of just choosing some colours. At this stage it sounds like it could be green outsides, possibly something like British racing green, with an off white interior, clear gunnels and clear rub rail. The interior features of the boat like the floor beams and soles i will most likely leave clear too.

One of the other guys in the duck flats (http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/) spring school this year bough a new Lie-Nielsen plane for cutting the gains, it made light work of it. After trying to do one plank on the boat it was quickly determined that it was far easier to just take the planks back off the boat and cut the gains on the bench.

When his plane was back in use I went back to an old wooden bodied skew rebate plane that I got a while ago and just setup a fence with a block of wood. It was far coarser than the wonderful little Lie-Nielsen plane, but it did the trick for me.

So after getting the first few planks dry fitted I marked out the next couple of planks then started gooping (Glue-ing) the first two planks down.

after some initial clean up and some checks for fairness and additional screws place here and there to hold the planks in a nice shape it was onto a further cleanup with some Acetone, so glad I did that as I went along now.

This is the hull as it stands currently as it has had a little bit of initial sanding completed, but is by and large done. so I'm at least a third finished building this canoe now, I'd like to hope Here is a shot from the stern looking to the bow.

This one is on the port side looking from bow to stern.

Took me a few minutes to work out which was starboard and portside since the boat was upside down. But a good man once told me "there is a little Port Left in the bottle" It stuck with me

No progress expected for a couple of weeks now as work is back on, but hopefully come November I can devote a few Saturday mornings to this fun project.

Cheers
    My First Boat Build:

The half round on the side is so I don't chew the wood up too much. I have a plate on the leeboard too. The two slide against each other. These parts work against each other quite a bit, and I didn't want to have to resurface them each year.

So a few questions for anyone out there that can answer

Should the cockpit of Mr Oughtred lovely Macgregor Canoe be extended a little to make it more comfortable for my passenger when cruising around, and I guess that would neccesitate some movement of where the normally fixed seat thwart would go?

I see some old posts where skuuthorp tried out standing on the gunnel and sailing the Macgregor hard. It's an interesting image. I don't think I'll be going that hard for a while yet at least. But I'm leaning towards having a sail setup with a Mizzen mast and probably Balanced lug rig, just for ease of use and setup for me a rank novice at sailing.

Where does a guy store the sails and masts etc when just paddling?

Water tight hatches in the bulk heads of some form I see as being a very good thing. There seem to be a few different designs about the place, at this stage if possible just for the look, I'd like to stick with wooden hatches, but I'm open to different options.

Cheers
    My First Boat Build:

If you're bringing the rig, I figure you'll sail when you can, and paddle when you need to. We most often rolled up the main onto the mast for paddling, and sometimes also the mizzen. Often we kept the mizzen out to help, as it doesn't really get in the way. If the forecast was for some seriously heavy weather, we left the rig ashore.

Here's a shot showing the end of a camping trip, where we intended to paddle back. With the wind on our beam or further aft, it was nice to simply glide under mizzen power, to soak up the last few peaceful moments of quiet before reaching the ramp...

Not too much been happening of late, I have managed to do only a couple of little jobs on the Canoe.

I've screwed on the first few layers of the outer stem, they set last week and have now been removed, I'll get some photos of them as they are being shaped, I left them a little big so there will be a reasonable amount of excess to remove from them too.

I've also managed to fill almost all the screw holes now and give them a rough scrape back. This saturday was spent doing some filleting of the first 2 planks on either side. I found this a much slower process than I had envisaged. I've bought some low tack masking tape so that when I do a bit more this Saturday hopefully I will be a little faster, most of my time this weekend seemed to be spent cleaning up the excess from the filleting...
    My First Boat Build:

It's looking good!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I am going to get around to building a lapstrake canoe again. This design seems like perfection, although I like the Butternut for a 13 footer. Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by simonmags View Post
    So a few questions for anyone out there that can answer

Should the cockpit of Mr Oughtred lovely Macgregor Canoe be extended a little to make it more comfortable for my passenger when cruising around, and I guess that would neccesitate some movement of where the normally fixed seat thwart would go?

I see some old posts where skuuthorp tried out standing on the gunnel and sailing the Macgregor hard. It's an interesting image. I don't think I'll be going that hard for a while yet at least. But I'm leaning towards having a sail setup with a Mizzen mast and probably Balanced lug rig, just for ease of use and setup for me a rank novice at sailing.

Where does a guy store the sails and masts etc when just paddling?

Water tight hatches in the bulk heads of some form I see as being a very good thing. There seem to be a few different designs about the place, at this stage if possible just for the look, I'd like to stick with wooden hatches, but I'm open to different options.

Cheers
    I extended the cockpit about 30cm aft for the same reason, to make it more comfortable for two. Masts and sails are difficult when paddling, mine is a single 50sq. ft. balanced lug sail and in retrospect I should have gone for the two masted version and maybe even then a smaller main and mast for those reasons. I do not have a fixed seat because the sailing characteristics are so much effected by where you position your own weight. I just have a big sealed foam pad.
    I use a non standard rudder, longer and not as deep, because of the excessively shallow water in Western Port Bay. I find a long handled single paddle is almost essential on an extended sailing trip. I also row mine a lot, it's quick but you have to overlap the handles because of the narrowness of the hull.
    As for my attempting to sail a Mac like a skiff, it doesn't work well, and recovery is awkward enough with the rig up without courting trouble. But you can make a sort of platform seat to fit over the cockpit combing that can also double up for a brewing up platform when out on the water. I don't like flame inside the boat, it's too small. (remember to tie the stove to the boat though).

Work still progressing along slowly, the filleting takes the longest for me to get used to. I started on saturday morning and struggled a bit as I'd wet out the end grain with some unthickened epoxy and then almost immediately afterwards started trying to fillet. The problem being that the gooey thickened epoxy just slid along on top of the unthickened epoxy. So it took a lot longer than it should have to do the first few planks. The next side I let the unthickened go a lot tackier before proceeding to put on the thickened filletting mix.

I did manage to save some time as I went and bought some low tack masking tape (I didn't want to have any residue from regular tapes ending up on the wood before I paint etc). The filleting tool then tended to push any excess globs off onto the tape which could then just be peeled off leaving a pretty clean surface.

I've bought a special beer for the rollover next week Ambitious maybe, but it should be fun if I make it...

I've also been emailing a few other people with similar canoes for ideas on various things. Tom Regan (http://www.grapeviewpointboatworks.com/) was kind enough to send me a few pictures of his setup and good enough to allow me to re-post them.

I am picturing that when I finish my Canoe I will go with a very similar coulour scheme. Clear deck, probably green outside hull, off white inside and clear floor soles. What I found interesting is the method in which the leeboard is attached to the boat. Tom made up some lovely little hinges on either side to hold the leeboard in place, the leather on the hinge and the rub rail serves to create enough friction to hold the leeboard in place once set. I'd imagine if it took a hard enough hit it would move without causing too much damage as well.

A closer up shot of the hinge assembly.

One more of Toms boat:

Well other than getting the filleting done on Saturday I also managed to get the bulk head roughed out and I have a the outer stems in my little shed at home, ready to be roughed down to size. More photos of that to follow as it happens Still need to work out how to put some hatches into the bulkheads, so a bit of googling to do this week...

Thanks for watching, extra thanks for commenting
    My First Boat Build:

Doh! Don't you hate it when you gorget to add some photos and then type out a reply and click the wrong button and it goes missing. Ah well.

So this is my boat as it lies down currently. You can see the delightfully coloured green low tack masking tape that the stray bits of thickened epoxy slid off the fillet onto...

You can see my scraper sitting up on top in the next photo and an old tuna can that serves as the disposable can for any excess epoxy scraped off the boat.

I have the outer stem at home which I will be doing some rough shaping on this week, and I hope to make a could of boat stands for the canoe to sit on after I roll it over on Saturday...

Again I must thank the patient people up at Duck Flat Wooden Boats for letting me spend a bit more time building my canoe up at the yard after the boat school where all this fun building happened to begin with Now I see they have plans for a school in Autumn and I'm trying to work out how much time I have left in this build... If I finish it before Autumn maybe I could start a whole new boat in the Autumn school, this boat building sure is a bit addictive. I don't see myself ever having as many boats as some of the guys on this forum, but I sure looking forward to building a few more.
    My First Boat Build:

Default Re: Macgregor Canoe - Water Tight Flush Mount Bulk Head Hatches

Water Tight Hatches... They seem to be a thing a person could spend an inordinate amount of time working on. Dennis Rioux posted these on a another thread on this forum and I think I am going to try and do something very similar.

keyhavenpotterer posted the below pictures of some very similar hatches...

Anyway that gives me a few ideas, now just to find a design that can work for me on the Macgregor Canoe... The idea being to be able to stow a small amount of gear in the forward bulkhead compartment, like a tent if I go camping and the like. At the very least it'll be a handy spot to put the car keys
    My First Boat Build:

Default Re: Macgregor Canoe - Water Tight Flush Mount Bulk Head Hatches

Hi Simon,

After having used my Wee Rob for a while I took her top off! Details here: http://in this thread http://forum.w...86#post3720686

I response to your query regarding the bayonet hatches detailed in this thread. They turned out to be less practical than expected for a number of reasons:
    - the finger holes were too shallow and didn't provide enough leverage to be able to fully tighten or when properly closed, to again open them with just fingers alone
    - the forward bulkhead and hatch is also located under the deck which makes it even more difficult to get to
    - the bayonet flanges required small ramps to allow them to engage and then screw tight. Not easy to add this feature after they had been constructed
    - as a result of all of this, despite the foam seal, they were not water-tight!.

Having said all that, they did look nice , did not have any protruding knobs and with a little more engineering, I think could have been made to work a bit better.

If I had to do it again, I'd either install plastic screw-on hatches or make a foam sealed, recessed version of this.
    Last edited by Songololo; 12-13-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    "Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors". African Proverb

Bump. Just because they are such elegant craft. And so it's easier to find!

Okay Skuthorp, here are a few updates that have been in the works lately. Lets start by laminating a few pieces of ply together to get some rough shapes for the rudder assembly:

Thats in the vaccuum bag until the epoxy goes off, so the air compressor was running the venturi for a while. It was a warm day and I used the West fast hardener so it was pretty well hard within about 4 hours, hard to mark with your fingernail...

So after making a cardboard template up to see how best to cut my shapes we end up with this

A bit of cleaning up and some more rough shapes are getting closer to finished shapes

While we are in the shed it's time to have a look at doing some shaping on the outer stems

My First Boat Build:

Happy Christmas to me, ( and you ) the boat is now at home so I can work on it over the break.

Meaning I could glue down the stems after I dry fitted them a week or two ago up at Duck Flats.

I spent some time and taped off along next to the stem(s) and the keel before getting my glue mixing station ready. Once I was pretty clear on how I was going to do it all I got straight into it. Thickened epoxy this time cleaned up and filleted as best I could at the time, I backed the screws out and soaped them so they would release easier too.

The keel bevel was just cut on the table saw and will be adjusted if needed later with some hand tools.

unfortunately a number of screws (all but 2) were reluctant to come out. Fortunately though the soldering iron would sit by itself allowing me to read 2 or 3 pages of a book while the screw came up to temperature and could be removed. Slow and stead worked best to avoid snapping any screws here.

More to come
    My First Boat Build:

Then I got really carried away with myself and wanted to look around on the inside and drink a cold frothy beverage

Half way ovebr />

All the way ovebr />

And the Finale

Ahh that was nice.Happy roll over day.

Now I've discovered a minor problem that i suspected might happen about now. I need to finalise my sheer line and I am close to 10mm low on the port side around station 3. I suspect I might be able to do something tricky with the sheer clamp, I just haven't worked out what yet. Stay tuned for more fun to follow with that. All advice appreciated.
    My First Boat Build:

Now onto dry fitting some bulkheads as that's something easy aside from sanding that I can do right now. Starting to get close with the template. Thanks to the clear explanation on how to get a template close using a compass from the Gougeon Brothers book.

Getting close with the actual 5mm ply that will make up the bulkhead (station 2.5)

The remainder of the week will probably be spent sitting in the closest moaning chair and contemplating how that gunnel rail, sheer clamp, thingamajig goes on and where will look best. That and getting some wood to make the floor beams up and sanding and ....

Merry Christmas All
    My First Boat Build:

Still scratching my head about how to tackle the sheer plank being a bit low just on one side, but i don't think i will really see it and how to fix it until I get the wood for the inner and outer gunnels together...

In the meantime something else to amuse me, made the round piece of DF i had in the backyard a bit smaller and put a taper on it which is probably a bit hard to see. But anyway I now have a main mast Just need to cut and shape the ends a little more and this piece is done.

My First Boat Build:

Very cool Simon. You are making quick work of it. Been appropriating
    the soldering iron to do the same myself. I'll be following with interest, particularly for the on the water review. I've got this boat on my list too. Keep-a-going!
    My Sooty and other boats: https://lingeringlunacy.com/

It's been a smidge on the warm side over here this week, so progress has slowed to a crawl. That and I don't have a thicknesser to get some of my old Oregon (DF) stock down to size so I can cut it for the floor beams...

So I managed to make a start on laimating the leeboard and I have some lead sorted out that I will add to it as well. John Rollit used about 5 pounds of lead in his leeboard according to his neat little website. (That's about 2.2kgs to us Metric system people).

Anyway here is another photo of the vacuum laminating in progress, the other thing you can see in the bag is a part of a new bike seat for my sons balance bike, he needed a longer one as he outgrew the original.

Next on the list is to start something more serious than thought for the bulk head hatch. Thanks to songolo and a few others on this forum for some great ideas. I've started making this proto type to play with before I start butchering the marine ply

I went with an oval shape as that seemed to be what would fit best. I did look at buying a hatch but the round ones would be a bit harder to get a tent through and the sqaure/rectangle ones didn't leave much of the bulkhead left in place as this is such a small boat.

You can see my cutting skills with the old jigsaw could use some refinement but anyway, here it is from the bottom of the lid.

The next part of the plan is to find some rubber that can act as a compression seal which means going outside at lunch time on a day when it's not 42 degrees Celsius and visiting the shops. Incidentally one of my friends took an egg outside this week and cooked it on the footpath just for giggles. Fun Times

Stay Cool

Simon
    My First Boat Build:

Great progress, re hatches, like songololo I had great difficulty getting the hatches as designed, or as modified to seal well enough to keep water out if swamped, (it happens). In the end I reluctantly installed large plastic screw hatches. I have just completed a renovation of the Mac for a Wooden Dinghy Regatta (http://www.mysailing.com.au/news/sou...n-boat-regatta) over the Australia day weekend. I am also taking a just restored Australian Sailfish of early 1960's vintage.

One of the annoying things I found was a group of 'stainless steel' screws that weren't quite right and had rusted. Gave me some trouble removing them. The week of heat we've had is very frustrating, two boats ready to sail, no wind and just too much sun. Over 40c on a mirror flat and very warm and salty bay would be no fun at all. Change through tonight finally.

Sadly it will be a little while longer before I remove my last few frames and permanently install the bulk heads. I think I'll be as happy as can be with a good compression seal. We have a local rubber place called Fitch the rubber man, I'm hoping he has something very good. I tried a few of the round plastic hatches and they must have been cheaper ones as they seemed to be very hard to undo once done up, no finger leverage. That and the seals didn't look great on them either. Anyway I will persist for a bit longer, If I have no joy with Fitch then I will certainly switch over to the tried and tested round screw in hatches. Cool change is just coming through here now, thankfully.
    My First Boat Build:

Re plastic hatches, you have to be really careful fitting them, with the lid screwed in is best. Being plastic they tend to flex if not fitted absolutely square or too tight in their hole. I used a bedding compound and was careful not to tighten the screws too much. But as far as watertight is concerned I have had no trouble at all.
    My Mac was built in 2002 and other than fair wear and tear is good as new after some overdue work. There have been mods that I contemplated but they are probably for a new build. One thing I noticed at regattas and shows is a reluctance by others to take her out for a sail. They look at her shape and narrowness and presume, somewhat correctly, that she is very tender.
    If alone I sail her with couple of bags of sand as ballast which tames her somewhat.
    I am thinking of replacing the rudder yoke with a rod though. Someone with a mizzen rigged model laminated a very complex curved tiller to go round the mast, a push pull arrangement to a rod on one side of the rudder. The mechanical effort seemed to be a bit much to me for the tiller as built.
    I discarded the foot pedal steering as I built it. Nowadays the flooring lives in the shop roof, and I use a 'disposable' cheap canvas beach chair if a seat is needed. Cost for a new one about $7.00 a year. Not for the purists possibly.

One more thing, about 'hiking out'. A mac is not designed for it but maybe with a fixed leeboard. But a platform seat designed to sit over the cockpit combing to get your weight outside the boat can be a useful and at times quite exciting thing on a broad reach. A Mac can be a very fast boat in a blow.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 01-17-2014 at 06:11 AM.

Need some photos of your new Rudder

I'd been thinking I'd use something like this for the chair.

http://www.surftosummit.com/images/p...s/KGT314p2.jpg

So it probably wont look all that traditional anyway. I didn't realise you had removed the floor entirely from your canoe though, I hadn't even considered that.
    My First Boat Build:

Will do with the rudder, mods to come still I think. Re chair, I seldom stay in one place in the boat and often sit sideways with my feet over the side, the chair business was because of the pedal steering I reckon.
    I used the floor for a while and just forgot to take it one day. Hah, I even forgot the mast one day and sailed with a bush pole!
    Did I say I row my Mac? Very quick with her shallow draft and a profile like an old fashioned planked rowing shell. I made a sliding seat with an old skateboard, worked well but was unnecessary and It's in the discard corner as well. Just sit on a block of expanding foam these days. I do carry a mooring/punting pole however in our very shallow bay, more useful than a folding anchor for me.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 01-17-2014 at 06:29 AM.