Thread: 2013 Dragon Worlds - Weymouth!

Default 2013 Dragon Worlds - Weymouth!

78 boats and most of the usual suspects. I like seeing Lawrie Smith sailing the Dragoni. Markus. Hoj-Jensen. Lars. Good sailors.

SEVEN boats from OZ, which is pretty amazing when you think of it. Only one boat each from Ireland, Denmark and Finland is a bit of a surprise. I am also surprised that American Ted Sawyer isn't sailing, but the word was he was retiring this year (even though he has sailed in a few events on the Med).

As usual, I will keep you updated. Today was the practice race day, and they haven't listed finishes. Starts in earnest tomorrow.

Mickey Lake
    USA149 'Scarlett'
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Default Re: 2013 Dragon Worlds - Weymouth!

What's the Corinthian division all about Mickey? Are there two classes now or are there separate scoring systems?

Rick

They all race together, but the Corinthian class are boats with no pros as crew or driver. The Dragon class is heavy with paid sailors, so they decided some time ago to begin awarding Corinthian trophies. For example, at the recent Gold Cup in France, the highest scoring Corinthian team were 6th overall. When I was the Grand Poobah of the US fleet I voiced some displeasure over this setup, but the Euros don't really care what we say, and really, since we don't race over there any more (except upon very rare occasions), I guess they can do what they want.

Mickey Lake

Thanks! I'd never heard of any of this.

Rick

Oh yeah. Ted Sawyer had Martin Payne (known as 'Stavros' to the sailing world) as a regular crew for years. I have no idea what the financial arrangement was for Martin, but in the Stars and Dragons it is not unusual at all for the crew to pick up a couple thousand dollars for a three day event. Of course, at one time the pay was for delivering and setting up the boat, not sailing (of course not!). Now it's pretty much straight forward that most of these guys are getting paid.

Mickey Lake

Well, it would cost a small fortune to take a Dragon to England, and it costs a lot to keep a boat at the Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron. The whole question of ameuterism vs professionalism in sport is a vexing one!

Rick

I would imagine that all the Australians are sailing charters, but I agree that it's a stack of money. For this event you are talking several thousand dollars to use someone's boat (as much as $10K US?). Just the entry fee for most of these things runs to $1000 euro, and that's with them being fully sponsored.

All that being said, I want to do it. At least once. I want to, but most likely never will. I could never justify spending more on a two week trip than I spent on all of my boats combined!

Mickey Lake

They have already had a general recall for race 1.

I am being bombarded with Facebook updates. I mean, like 50 a day. The press releases are coming hot and heavy!

Mickey Lake

Can't see any wooden vessels in the fleet:

Looks like good sailing though!

Maybe there needs to be a Corinthian Classic fleet race: Not open to plastic professionals! I note Italy has two such fixtures.

I've just checked that the Australians are al in the Corinthian Class aside from the entry from The Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron.
    “For masterpieces are not single and solitary births; they are the outcome of many years of thinking in common, of thinking by the body of the people, so that the experience of the mass is behind the single voice.” Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

The Dragon in Europe occupies a sort of odd niche, as the 'small' racing keelboat of choice for many countries. They hold regattas in really spiffy places, with royalty not only in the spectator fleet, but out there racing, champagne fountains and petit fours, etc, etc. It truly is grand prix sailboat racing, and many of those guys aren't there for the enjoyment of the day, but to win, and if they don't win then they look at it as having failed somehow. I would most likely wet myself just walking through the boat park every morning, looking at those high-dollar racing machines, but as far as me sailing with those guys, well, let's just say I am in more for the fun than for any other single reason.

There was a time when I had a goal of sailing in the Olympics, and I could see just enough of a light at the end of the tunnel to keep me believing. If we could only get to the point where we were always using new sails, the best boat, could spend more time practicing, etc. I qualified for the Olympic Trials by finishing second in the Gulf Coast Championships when the regatta was in Savannah, but gave up my place to another guy because some sponsorship I had hoped for didn't materialize. Then we were in an event down in Florida, with new sails, a very fine Mader Star, my best buddy and longtime crew and I. We had great starts and sailed smart and were fast......and we finished fifth of 20 or something like that. In that fleet were two guys who had sailed in the Olympics before and we beat them easily. But that one regatta of the hundreds I have sailed is most memorable to me because it was the drive home and the thoughts racing through my mind that I had done my very best, and finished fifth, that almost drove me out of the sport. I mean, I couldn't sail any better. I just couldn't. And I finished fifth. It absolutely broke my heart, and it broke something inside of me forever. After that I decided that if it wasn't fun then it wasn't for me. Not any more.

And since then we have had a lot of fun. A lot of fun. We don't do that well these days since I don't dedicate my every waking hour into trying to figure out how to get better, and I enjoy just sailing for sailing's sake a lot more than I ever did before, but we do go race and we enjoy it and I can't imagine ever stopping now. I'd love to give one of those sporty Petticrow's a try one day, just as a test, but I am not serious enough to be a winner at it, and that really doesn't bother me very much.

Mickey Lake

I think most of the Australians are from the Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron - not to be confused with the Sydney Amateurs where no royals are allowed!

Rick

Actually, the RSYS boats are in the minority - outnumbered (just) 4-3 by the Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club entries.
    However, it is worth noting that one of the RSYS boats is skippered by Gordon Ingate, an 87 year old(!) Australian sailing legend, veteran of multiple Americas Cups, Admiral's Cups, Olympics and a Dragon sailor for nearly his entire sailing career.
    I should be so lucky to have a sailing life like his.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    Actually, the RSYS boats are in the minority - outnumbered (just) 4-3 by the Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club entries.
    However, it is worth noting that one of the RSYS boats is skippered by Gordon Ingate, an 87 year old(!) Australian sailing legend, veteran of multiple Americas Cups, Admiral's Cups, Olympics and a Dragon sailor for nearly his entire sailing career.
    I should be so lucky to have a sailing life like his.
    How interesting! I saw the Ingate name there and assumed it was the same family but didn't think for a minute it might be THE Ingate! How amazing!

Rick

Yes, Gordon was sailing last time I was at RSYS for a look at the Dragons

Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

I missed that one: And he's skippering a pro crew too!
    “For masterpieces are not single and solitary births; they are the outcome of many years of thinking in common, of thinking by the body of the people, so that the experience of the mass is behind the single voice.” Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Ah, I posted yesterday's results in the other Dragon thread. Hoj-Jensen won the first race.

They are drifting around now, waiting on breeze.

Mickey Lake

That's an awesome website, by the way. It shows that they are in the sequence for race 1 for the day, that it's 19C with a 17 knot breeze. Pretty cool.

Mickey Lake

Apparently when the wind filled in it would not stop shifting. They got a start off but had to abandon, and came in for the day. One race in two days? Not good.

Mickey Lake

After today's two races the fleet just got back to the harbor. Provisional results after three races:

1. Poul Richard Hoj-Jensen (GBR)
    2. Andrey Kirilyuk (RUS)
    3. Hendrik Witmann (oddly enough, UAE).

Haven't seen Markus Wieser or Lars Hendricksen's names listed at the top of the list as of yet. Lawrie Smith was in 10th after two races. Still a long way to go.

Mickey Lake
    Last edited by bamamick; 09-11-2013 at 02:43 PM.

One race done today:

1. Andrey Kirilyuk (RUS) 14 points
    2. Klaus Diedrichs (UK) 35 points
    3. Hendrick Witzmann (UAE) 37 points

Hoj-Jensen fell to 4th with a 34th in today's race, but once they get to the throwout he should be top three again. Kirilyuk has been amazing consistent.

Today's race was what we have come to expect in these things, with Lars Hendricksen winning and Markus Wieser 2nd.

Top Aussie is still Markus Blackmore, at 31st (136 points).

Mickey Lake

Ugly skies and little wind at Weymouth this morning. They don't sound too hopeful.

Mickey Lake

It's fascinating to follow their blog on the racing. They started this one under a black flag right off the bat just to keep from wasting time.

From the photos it looks like it's freezing out there! I don't even own the kind of gear they are wearing, and it's mid-September!

Mickey Lake

Race 5 results:

1. Ferenic Kis-Szolgymi (HUN)
    2. Peter Heerma (NED)
    3. Martin Palsson (SWE)

The top three places overall did not change in that race. Willy Packer got a 6th in that race representing Australia. Top Aussie is still Marcus Blackmore, but he has fallen to 38th overall.

Race 6 is underway, once again under a black flag start.

Mickey Lake

Race 6 complete:

1. Hugo Steinbeck (SUI)
    2. Mark Dicker (GBR)
    3. Klaus Diedrichs (GBR)

Shortened course in this race, through for the day. I can't say this has been an ideal championship regatta.

Mickey Lake

Yep, with the throwout now being figured in, Wieser moves to 3rd and Lars Hendricksen moves up to 5th. These guys know what they are about!

But it almost looks as if Kirilyuk has an unbeatable lead!

Mickey Lake

Mickey, what are the other race groups about?
    I see Corinthian, Charity and Charity Corinthian groups listed, with some entrants being listed in both Charity and Charity Corinthian.
    The prize-giving ceremony is going to take about 3 hours with all those divisions

Chris, I am going to be honest with you and say I have no clue what the Charity thing is. I guess I will try and find out.

Mickey Lake

Wow! They had a long race this morning to finish of the World's, and Klaus Diedrichs was THE BOAT ahead of Andrey Kirilyuk to win the title by one point! Amazing finish. They don't have the complete results posted, but I will post again later when they are up.

Mickey Lake

More accurate information:

Final race (#7):

1. Mark Dicker (GBR)
    2. Tommy Muller (GER)
    3. Poul Richard Hoj-Jensen (GBR)

Going into the last race Kirilyuk was two points ahead of Klaus Deidrichs (they are crediting Andy Beadsworth as co/skipper). In that race Deidrichs finished 9th and Kirilyuk 12th, so the British flag will be at the head of the podium. 34 total points for the winner (which excludes their throwout), 35 points for the 2nd place Russians, with 3rd place finisher Markus Weiser (UKR) scoring 56 points.

To give you an idea of how great this fleet really was, former World and Gold Cup champion Poul Richard Hoj-Jensen had to count two races in the 30's in his score, but he still wound up 8th overall. Other notable sailors and their finishes: Lars Hendricksen (DEN) 7th, Lawrie Smith (GBR) 9th, and Tommy Muller (GER) 11th. Former 6mR World champion Hugo Steinbeck (SUI) finished in the 30's.

For the Australian's, Willy Packer finished very strong to finish a creditable 18th.

So that's it for the summer, I guess. Congratulations to everyone who sailed, and especially the winning crew on the Diedrichs/Beadsworth boat.

Mickey Lake

I've just read through this thread and a number of questions were raised, but not answered, so I thought I would do my best to do so. I was on the organising committee for these World Championships. We were all volunteers (or press-ganged into joining!) on that committee and we worked out the team invested 52 weeks of time, a man-year, into running the regatta, alongside doing our day jobs and own sailing!

The entry fee was £550 (around $900), which was within the guidelines of the International Dragon Association regatta regulations.
    Sponsorship was, of course, key to laying on some of the main aspects of an international regatta and took up a good deal of time, both finding it in the first place but then also keeping the sponsors happy.

All IDA regattas now have a Corinthian division, defined as the entire crew being ISAF Sailor Classification Grade 1. We had an ISAF official to check Corinthian boats had Corinthian crews. Ten years ago there was much debate about the growth of professionalism within the class. Although it caused some anxiety things have now settled down and Corinthians enjoy the opportunity to beat the professionals. And they do, surprisingly often. Of course there are also separate Corinthian trophies now too, and they are as hard fought for and as well respected as the main event trophies.

The charity aspect is not unusual at major international Dragon regattas. It is normal that the practice race has a charitable element to it. Some regattas ask for an entry fee for that race, which is then donated to the chosen charity. We chose to ask for voluntary donations and raised £580 for Save The Children Fund. There were no trophies connected with the charitable race.

Mickey, I understand why you wrote what you did about the North Americans not being listened to. However, my feeling is that is changing, albeit slowly. Anne attending the IDA AGM was a great way to get heard and serious thought is being given to holding a major event in NA again. As far as I am concerned, the sooner, the better!

The cost of hiring a boat depends on who you hire from! Stavros, mentioned above, has a fleet of several Dragons for hire, though he charges several thousand Euros per day since that is his business and how he earns a living. I hired out our Dragon to the lovely Sandy Anderson of Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club; my fee to her was a fraction of what Stavros charges and included the loan of my 4x4 to tow with. Other club sailors also hired out their Dragons for around £1-2,500 for the ten days. We hope we might be able to hire boats in Australia for the Worlds in 2019.

Mickey already has a long-standing invitation to come and race in the UK from me. It would not be hard to get a crewing job on a Dragon at most of the big regattas, so if you do fancy giving it a go, contact the relevant organisers and let them know of your willingness and availability.

Gordon Ingate has done quite a few regattas in the UK over recent years and is always a welcome competitor. He is a delightful guest and very well respected by all who race against him. The youngest competitor at the Worlds was 12 years old. A good age spread! Ted Sawyer is cutting back his Dragon racing and last year sold his lovely cold-moulded Dragon 'Clairvoyant' to Stavros.

I'm not sure how you would define an 'ideal' regatta Mickey! The trouble of course is that organisers end up always being at the mercy of the weather. In the end the regatta was hard raced with a nail-biting finish. Most of the star helms had both good and terrible days, so there was no walk-over by one single boat. After it was all over we had many, usually hard to please, owners and crew congratulate us on what they felt to have been an excellent regatta. Despite the inclusion of Morris dancers at one of the socials!

I am responsible for producing the British Dragon Association annual magazine and we have recently published it. You can view an online copy of it here, courtesy of the NA Dragon Association: http://www.nadragons.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37 It has a regatta report as well as an article on what it was like to organise the Worlds. The web site set up for the Worlds is still available here:
    http://events.sailracer.org/eventsit...eventid=124443

Tim

Thanks for posting facts where I could only post speculation, Tim. You did frighten me a bit in that I was afraid I had said some things I'd need to apologize for, but having re-read everything I wrote I don't think so. My reference to an 'ideal' regatta was only in terms of the weather, and those of us who race know that you seldom have ideal conditions for the length of a championship regatta. I remember a Star Bacardi where did have what most would call ideal racing conditions for a week (15-20 every day except the last one), and by the end of that we were all ready for some more calm conditions.

We'll see what kind of attention North America can draw in the next couple of years. The proposed World's regatta in Barbados I am opposed to and have let my voice be heard on the subject, but I am just one guy. And of course, if it's not to be in Barbados then we need to offer a 'better' alternative, and Vancouver is the only option that's even worth discussing right now. They will be hosting the 6mR World's in 2017 and may not be interested in doing a Dragon event, so this all may be a moot point, but we will see. I am going out there in May and we can discuss things then.

As far as me racing in Europe goes, well, the clock seems to be ticking for me now. I have this long-standing invitation from Tim (for those who don't know, Tim and I have been friends for a long time, going back about ten years now), and I also have invitations to sail on metre boats in Scandinavia. The smart thing for me to do would be to retire as soon as possible and then take a summer over there and get it all done. We will see. I still have ambitions of owning a metre boat myself, which would shift my focus to the PNW for as much time as I could spend there. Still, it would seem that I MUST do at least one big Dragon event in Europe before it's too late.

Mickey Lake

Absolutely no need for apologies Mickey! I just felt I could answer some posers in the thread and wished to be helpful, that's all.

A fair few years back I arranged to collect a load of old Dragon sails and sent them over to Mickey to distribute around North America to those restorers who might be in need of motive power. There are still old sails laying around our fleets in the UK so if anyone on here has a need, just drop me a line.

Tim