Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: useing a tablet as a chart plotter.

Default Re: useing a tablet as a chart plotter.

The iPad GPS seems very accurate to me. We used it with Navionics to navigate from Woy Woy through to Pittwater at night and it was spot on. I used it from Nelson to Newcastle too, and it seemed fine. Not that you can really tell out there but it seemed to always agree with our Garmin GPS. I had a Nexus 7 too, with a very basic nav app, as Navionics wasn't available for Android then. But its GPS seemed fine too. I don't remember seeing many phone towers.

Rick

What is cellular functionality anyway? Does that mean you can make phone calls with a tablet?

Rick

There you go, then.

I wasn't trying to argue with you, Bruce. Just retelling what I found when I dug around a bit last year. I haven't been conned by salespeople because; 1. Salespeople usually don't know anything so I tend to ignore them, and 2. I haven't bought any of these things. The iPad is the one my wife happened to choose for using at home. The iPad Air has only WiFi. The iPads with 3G/4G also have GPS it seems.

Also, I'm not claiming the cellular has to be *connected*, just the hardware present, as the same chip does cellular and GPS (supposedly they're more accurate and/or faster when using both, but who knows). Do your two tablets have an empty slot for a SIM card, Bruce?

I'll revisit all this when I have a floating boat, because it seems a tablet with GPS is the easiest way to go with some of this stuff. I'll now have to actually do some more research on the chips they use, because I hate not knowing how stuff works. :-)

Rick, you could probably make calls with them given the right software (although Apple may have decided they don't want you to). The cellular connection is for internet when you're away from WiFi.

Right, that makes sense. I don't want to make calls on my iPad.

Actually, my iPad doesn't have GPS at all. The one I used to have belonged to work and in a fit of stupidity and ethical behaviour, I returned it. The one I have is one I bought for my mother-in-law. She found it too difficult to use so I took it back and bought her a Kindle thing. I should start using the Nexus 7 more often. It's a good little thing and cheap!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    There you go, then.

I wasn't trying to argue with you, Bruce. Just retelling what I found when I dug around a bit last year. I haven't been conned by salespeople because; 1. Salespeople usually don't know anything so I tend to ignore them, and 2. I haven't bought any of these things. The iPad is the one my wife happened to choose for using at home. The iPad Air has only WiFi. The iPads with 3G/4G also have GPS it seems.

Also, I'm not claiming the cellular has to be *connected*, just the hardware present, as the same chip does cellular and GPS (supposedly they're more accurate and/or faster when using both, but who knows). Do your two tablets have an empty slot for a SIM card, Bruce?

I'll revisit all this when I have a floating boat, because it seems a tablet with GPS is the easiest way to go with some of this stuff. I'll now have to actually do some more research on the chips they use, because I hate not knowing how stuff works. :-)
    There's no access slot or hatch in the cases. I'd have to get the jackhammer out to open the cases up to check. From the users' point of view, no, but that doesn't mean the chip is not a combo chip. For info, the 'location services' settings on the android tablets allow for GPS, WIFI, or both. There isn't any option to set it to use mobile networks, unlike the android phone (also running Navionics and other navigation software) which obviously does have access to mobile network functions, and has listed location services GPS, WIFI and mobile networks.

Having said all that, and having looked at various options, I'd probably opt for an iPad instead of an android tablet as I said earlier, and I'd probably have to wear the cost of the iPad's GPS + cellular ombo functionality, because that's what they sell.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I haven't actually tried this, but that Garmin thing I linked to at #69 should get you a proper GPS + GLONASS system that your non-GPS iPad will talk to, and they're a true GPS receiver which are supposedly much more sensitive than the combo chip all the phones and tablets use. It's not absurdly expensive, but I don't know if it's cheaper than the iPad upgrade to a cell/GPS version.

I'll report back as soon as I get 'round to getting one and trying it. I like the idea mainly because I tend to like discreet devices that do one task properly rather than devices that try to do absolutely everything and end up doing some/all of them poorly. Also, the laptop could use the standalone GPS receiver too.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    What is cellular functionality anyway? Does that mean you can make phone calls with a tablet?

Rick
    Sure, I can.

This is good. Great to get real world info.
    We all know that an ipad only has a gps function if its cellular, I thought that was well established.

The reason that I thought the same applied to samsung android type tablets is because of the will work won't work difference in the ipad, because any shop tech goes glassy eyed and can't answer the question because they don't know ,because its common belief amongst cruisers, because if you search for GPS v AGPS you'll get conflicting answers of which some will say AGPS won't work without cell towers and some will.

I just want to know one answer, and because its part of a safety and navigation system albeit a backup to other nav solutions , I want to know unequivocably 100 % guaranteed , that a non cellular wifi only samsung android tablet will recieve GPS signals to its internal AGPS from satelites 500 miles out to sea. Where there are no cell towers to triangulate off.( assumiming of course that there is a satelite signal to be picked up in that area ie ,other devices can see them)
    Bruce says yes it will and he sounds like he knows, and one other person out of quite a few I've asked also says yes. So its great its been tested well out to sea and is absolutely reliable info.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    This is good. Great to get real world info.
    We all know that an ipad only has a gps function if its cellular, I thought that was well established.

The reason that I thought the same applied to samsung android type tablets is because of the will work won't work difference in the ipad, because any shop tech goes glassy eyed and can't answer the question because they don't know ,because its common belief amongst cruisers, because if you search for GPS v AGPS you'll get conflicting answers of which some will say AGPS won't work without cell towers and some will.

I just want to know one answer, and because its part of a safety and navigation system albeit a backup to other nav solutions , I want to know unequivocably 100 % guaranteed , that a non cellular wifi only samsung android tablet will recieve GPS signals to its internal AGPS from satelites 500 miles out to sea. Where there are no cell towers to triangulate off.( assumiming of course that there is a satelite signal to be picked up in that area ie ,other devices can see them)
    Bruce says yes it will and he sounds like he knows, and one other person out of quite a few I've asked also says yes. So its great its been tested well out to sea and is absolutely reliable info.
    Hi John, I can't claim I was 500 miles out to sea, just doing a diagonal crossing of Bass Strait. I reckon it would take a Tasman crossing to do a definitive test If you're planning a crossing like that, I'd love to come and bring some tablets to play with. I'm cheap, and I cook. I'm told I swear and snore, but that's obviously dirty lies.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

heh heh, the Tasman scares me a bit. When we go it'll be that soft option , the Pacific. Pacific means calm, right?

Slightly off topic but ... looking for redundancy on redundancy I've just bought an ex lease laptop and have downloaded openCPN onto it.
    All open source software, and so far its working , a bit surprising given the technophobic nature of the operator. Just a GPS receiver puck to buy and it'll put me on it.
    Quite a learning curve for moi but I want tons of time to get familiar with it and then go the next step with overlay grib files, overlay AIS etc.

Slightly off topic but ... looking for redundancy on redundancy I've just bought an ex lease laptop and have downloaded openCPN onto it.
    All open source software, and so far its working , a bit surprising given the technophobic nature of the operator. Just a GPS receiver puck to buy and it'll put me on it.
    Quite a learning curve for moi but I want tons of time to get familiar with it and then go the next step with overlay grib files, overlay AIS etc.

Share with us when you buy a GPS antenna, I need to get one for my laptop too.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..."

Got it , it goes! Its a miracle I tell ya.

The trick is to get one compatible with your operating system I'm told, so I did that .I have win 10 on that machine and bought a Global sat G star IV.

I had to configure a port but that was about all.

low centre left is a red spot and thats where it is. And coincidentally, so am I.

Last edited by John B; 03-23-2016 at 08:03 PM.

FWIW, I have an original Samsung Galaxy 10.1 (very slow processor) that was WiFi only. It has an amazing GPS chip in it that is my primary navigation device. I've used it in remote spots in Canada, the Chesapeake, and the North Channel. I use Navionics and the combo is pretty amazing. I bought a newer WiFi only Samsung Galaxy TAB 4. IT is much faster and has a built in GPS.

I have Boston Whalers, Kayaks, Whitehalls, and a Offshore Sailboat, (way to many boats, small sigh) So I wanted something I can easily move from boat to boat.

If it helps anyone I use the following:

Pantech Element pad, supposed to be waterproof, sells for around 80.00 on Ebay, I downloaded the MX Mariner of US Waters (one time cost), and Navionics APP for the greater Caribbean, (47.00 yearly fee) The Pantech is a Android based pad that was sold by ATT

KYOCERA Android Phone from ATT, supposed to be waterproof, shock proof and all that. Replaced the old Clam shell Rugby rough service phone. I have MX Mariner for US waters on that one.

On the Cabin Sailboat is an old Durabook, with OpenPC, The free US charts, and inexpensive Raster charts of the Caribbean pulled from various sources.

The Pantech and the Kyocera phone have built in GPS. The Durabook uses a Puck style GPS antenna

I purchased a used Dell Latitude laptop for home use, it is supposed to be daylight viewable (and is, kind of) When I get newer laptop, I will move the Dell to the Cabin sailboat.

The Pantech Element is barely daylight viewable, I normally have to shade the screen while in bright sunlight, The Kyocera phone is daylight viewable.

My goal was inexpensive system(s) that would be easy to move from boat to boat (or home). And.......I use the Pantech pad as a Kindle e-reader. And the Durabook for normal laptop use.

I work offshore Tugs, and have checked all three systems out while at work, no problems, they work way offshore, and around the greater Caribbean, Atlantic and Pacific. I have only checked North of the Panama Canal, but would assume they also work on southern waters

.I never thought about night time operations with Pantech Notepad, or the Kyocera phone, I will have to check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I'm gonna have to join the new century soon.
    I was wondering whether you'd ever catch up with last century. I'm not sure I recommend it...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I just bought the Navionics app for the US for my 4G capable IPad. Seems to work great. I noticed you can add a wifi transducer to a boat that will create its own hotspot and transmit to the iPad depth, bottom and fish finder information to be displayed on a split screen. Pretty slick.
    Its $150 for the transducer, mount and wifi transmitter.
    Anybody tried this? I'm at a point of mounting a transducer in the Rambler. Also to use the iPad in another boat would just require the outlay of another $150 for an additional unit. Pretty cost effective.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

This ain't cheap, but a very slick solution to the GPS and battery life issues of the iPad.

https://n2b.goexposoftware.com/event...9445796288.pdf

If you had more than one boat you needed nav/depth info on it looks like a great solution.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by riversailor92 View Post
    I have used iSailor on by iPhone with decent success. Block Island to the Canadian Border, the full chart book, is only $5 and the app itself is free. Not a bad deal when you consider that the actual book is $125-$200 depending on where you shop. I have been thinking about picking up a cheap laptop (non-mac) and using it exclusively for some really nice navigational software, like Nobeltec or something. In this day and age that amount of fragile electronics on a boat seems ridiculous but when properly cared for and used it is well worth the money/trouble/effort.
    I use both OpenCPN (on a Macbook Pro) and iSailor (iPad mini and iPhone 5). I like OpenCPN for planning; I sail an Alberg 35 with a 5.5 draft on the Chesapeake, where the water can get shallow. But on board, it's nice to have the mini or the iPhone at the helm, especially for single handing. The mini doesn't have built in GPS. I use a Garmin GLO which broadcasts GPS via bluetooth. iSailor had a charge for charts for the Atlantic Coast / Chesapeake; I believe it was $24. The app is free. I did find more of a learning curve with it and you have to pay extra to interface AIS and instruments; I don't have either so not an issue for me.

I found iSailor to have a learning curve but I'm getting better at route planning on it. The charts are great though, and it's great to have it right at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    This ain't cheap, but a very slick solution to the GPS and battery life issues of the iPad.

https://n2b.goexposoftware.com/event...9445796288.pdf
    I like that as a solution. A multi-trick pony. I use an Ipad Gen 2 with Nobeltec software. It's connected wirelessly to a Digital Yacht Class B AIS system that collects GPS data. Works a treat, but I'm not comfortable with having just one way to get GPS info to the tablet. This solution would give me redundancy at a quite reasonable cost. (BTW, I have other GPS on board built-in to the VHF radios, but they don't talk to the iPad.)

I bought a used Pansonic Toughpad running Android for this exact purpose, its the Military spec waterproof smashproof thing mine is a JT-B1 picked up on Ebay for $150 abouts. USB or 5v Charging, very clear screen in bright sunlight. The fact its waterproof is a big bonus, various automotive mounts available too. Has standard provision for a sim card which is handy & all the usual wifi bluetooth etc

Its this one

Just downloaded the iSailor app to my iPad Air. App was free, $15 for charts from NYC to Cape Cod. Used it today from CT over to Greenport Long Island and back. Good charts, relatively intuitive to use. My tablet came with cellular capability, although I no longer have a cellular contract. Since it worked, I guess that means I do have GPS inside.
    Controls do include a day/night switch to preserve your night vision.
    It did use almost half my battery capacity in 4 hours, so a 12v charging cord is a must.
    So, at first blush, 4 stars.

Cellular Ipads have a GPS. Non cellular do not. Android do.

I had a Google/asus Nexus 7 tablet, wifi only. The internal GPS worked well, no wifi or cell connection for the independent GPS to function flawlessly in remote locations. The downside: last December my Nexus 7 became stuck in a continual nonfunctioning start up loop. This occurred after a routine (non user controlled) android software "upgrade" by Google. This has happened to hundreds, perhaps thousands of Nexus 7 tablets. If it's out of warranty you're sunk - $200 to repair.

The lesson here: the 1St and 2nd generation Nexus 7 tablet and its internal GPS are great when they are working, but the goddam thing us unreliable and subject to failure, and Google and Asus could care less. Don't waste your money on one, and if you already own one don't depend on it.

So, after the Nexus 7 crapped out I bought Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, 7" tablet, wifi only, with internal GPS. It worked great in remote locations and was not subject to Google's reckless and flawed routine software updates. However, after 4 months I noticed that the GPS was hunting to find a location and couldn't. I'm guessing that if I revert the tablet to factory settings the GPS might start functioning again, but I don't know for sure, and I'm reluctant to save all that I have on the tablet somewhere else and then do a factory reset.

The lesson here: You can't depend on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, 7" tablet, it may stop working for no apparent reason.

In contrast, my old clumsy, clunky, pocket Lowrance GPS ALWAYS works, and it's very old, I can't remember how old.

Cheap android tablets are great, but for dependability they're not worth a damn. I have no experience with iPads. I suspect that they may have better build quality and reliability based on my first generation iPod touch which is still functioning. Who knows?
    Last edited by Dave Wright; 09-14-2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Clarified Galaxy Tab 4, 7" tablet

Cellular Ipads have a GPS. Non cellular do not. Android do.
    Some (most?) Androids do - some (few?) certainly do not.

I Have a Samsung galaxy tab3 - which does - if you go into Settings/Location you get the GPS only option and an option to refine this with Wi-Fi - when this option selected it offers to send data back to google, lord alone knows what google does with it.

Lacking the cell comms facility, I cannot imagine how any device would use cell towers to derive a position - however fuzzy.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    I had a Google/asus Nexus 7 tablet, wifi only. The internal GPS worked well, no wifi or cell connection for the independent GPS to function flawlessly in remote locations. The downside: last December my Nexus 7 became stuck in a continual nonfunctioning start up loop. This occurred after a routine (non user controlled) android software "upgrade" by Google. This has happened to hundreds, perhaps thousands of Nexus 7 tablets. If it's out of warranty you're sunk - $200 to repair.

The lesson here: the 1St and 2nd generation Nexus 7 tablet and its internal GPS are great when they are working, but the goddam thing us unreliable and subject to failure, and Google and Asus could care less. Don't waste your money on one, and if you already own one don't depend on it.

So, after the Nexus 7 crapped out I bought Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 tablet, wifi only, with internal GPS. It worked great in remote locations and was not subject to Google's reckless and flawed routine software updates. However, after 4 months I noticed that the GPS was hunting to find a location and couldn't. I'm guessing that if I revert the tablet to factory settings the GPS might start functioning again, but I don't know for sure, and I'm reluctant to save all that I have on the tablet somewhere else and then do a factory reset.

The lesson here: You can't depend on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 tablet, it may stop working for no apparent reason.

In contrast, my old clumsy, clunky, pocket Lowrance GPS ALWAYS works, and it's very old, I can't remember how old.

Cheap android tablets are great, but for dependability they're not worth a damn. I have no experience with iPads. I suspect that they may have better build quality and reliability based on my first generation iPod touch which is still functioning. Who knows?
    Not just cheap ones either. I had an iPad just die for no reason. Apple replaced it but I wouldn't like to have been relying on it for navigation. I think tablets are great for day to day navigation but I wouldn't rely on any of them for critical navigation or passages. I do rely on GPS though.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Not just cheap ones either. I had an iPad just die for no reason. Apple replaced it but I wouldn't like to have been relying on it for navigation. I think tablets are great for day to day navigation but I wouldn't rely on any of them for critical navigation or passages. I do rely on GPS though.

Rick
    Glad I am not the only one confused I just bought an IPad Air cellular for 517.00 after asking many of the above listed questions. I like the compatibility with the IPhone and the ability to use a dedicated navigation program without necessarily having to be bound to a service provider through a cellular connection.

What ever happend to just keeping an accurate DR and one sextant on board, not that I would remember how to work out a fix let alone shoot it accurately .
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 10-05-2016 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Confirming that Navionics for mobile devices doesn't have a night mode. They do however suggest that a third party app could be used to dim the screen beyond the limits of the devices' settings. I have downloaded such an app and will see how it looks in the dark. I've looked for an app that dims and changes all the screen colours to shades of red, or something similar to mimic night mode on proprietary cockpit nav devices, but I haven't found anything yet.
    I use an app called "Blue light Filter" on my Samsung tablet for night navigation. Works well with the red filter. Has adjustable filter rates too.

So on a kayaking trip last weekend my 11-year-old Garmin "waterproof" handheld took on water and died. Looking for a better option, especially a bigger better screen but in a portable handheld size, I went shopping. I settled on this, a Samsung Tab A with the 7" screen. $150 plus another $55 to load the Navionics package. The Samsung has a daylight screen setting, active in the photo below. I find it plenty bright enough in the sun, even wearing polarized sunglasses. It's not waterproof so I've ordered a shockproof/waterproof case for another $16. Total cost less than a replacement Garmin once the maps were purchased, and a much better display. But yes, it doesn't have all the routing calculations and tools that the Garmin does. On the other hand, it's a Droid so I can download lots of tools not available on the Garmin or similar. Battery life is supposed to be good for a full day on the water. I can plug it in on the sailboat; for kayaking I'll have to recharge it in the car or carry a battery pack. Not sure it's the best solution, but right now it looks workable.

-Dave

Woxbox, that screen brightness looks ideal.

If you find you need a little more battery power but not a whole lot more you might be able to connect up an external battery extender, which is basically a battery with a USB cable attached. It would retain the portability aspects of the unit. I do this with my phone which runs Navionics, and house both phone and external power pack in a zip lock bag. Unfortunately my phone screen is on the small side and brightness is a little bt of an issue.
    Paperback E-book

If Yiu use a ziplock bag as a waterproof case, place a tennis ball in the bag with the phone. That way it will be waterproof and float.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

One note about the Galaxy Tab A I've discovered. It does have GPS, but it does not have a compass, apparently because the case has a lot of steel in it. This only means that the compass apps don't work. Everything else does so far as I've found.

Kevin, I like the tennis ball idea. The case I ordered won't allow for that, but I can and will attach a strap and a float of some sort.

Bruce, yeah, that's what I was thinking when I said battery pack. There are some pretty big ones available now. I'll use this unit awhile to see what I need.
    -Dave

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I ended up buying a Samsung galaxy tab S . Great little thing, has a USB port .....'magine that.
    Navionics seems to work OK , Its just a backup for the plotter but , its good. has a USB port , did I mention that.
    Its only the cellular ipads that have gps in em as far as I can work out Rick. The other ones have assisted GPS ( I think its called ), which is just pinging off cell towers. Not much good at sea. I bought a cellular samsung for the same reason.
    I need to get a lifeproof case for the tablet.
    Further to the above John B if you're there. How would a GPS dongle go as a solution to the cell tower GPS ?Something that could suddenly stop being helpful close off shore .

http://www.expansys.com.au/globalsat...FYSXvAodtTkPjg

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead