Page 340 of 341 FirstFirst ... 240290330339340341 LastLast
Results 11,866 to 11,900 of 11920

Thread: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

  1. #11866
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norwich,United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,707

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Another non-red Alfa.

    DSCN2635.jpg

  2. #11867
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    32,600

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    In the US, pavement refers to the material: a road or a sidewalk can be paved.
    And "paved" can imply pavers which could be a patio

  3. #11868
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norwich,United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,707

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Any interest in a yellow Maserati ?

    DSCN1247.jpg

  4. #11869
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Isle of Mull, Scotland
    Posts
    8,997

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    No, I prefer blue!

    maser.jpg

  5. #11870
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Greater Northern Arizona Republic
    Posts
    743

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    A track that no longer exists: Flemington Speedway. Now a Lowe's.


  6. #11871
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norwich,United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,707

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    This could be the first Honda on this thread.

    SAM_3296.jpg

  7. #11872
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    29,277

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    ^We might have had an s600 or two, but no matter..

  8. #11873
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    29,277

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Currently overcome with desire to bug this..
    Screenshot_2021-10-28-10-46-15.jpg
    Bug is auto corrected from buy , or just my fingers stabbing the wrong letter. Nevermind , it's appropriate.
    The fact I post this means I ain't gonna, but..dammit.

  9. #11874
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    41,883

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    That hardtop might work. I had a bugeye for a while & the top of the windshield was just about nose level for me. Yes, I wore goggles.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  10. #11875
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    29,277

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    You just take it off and leave it off. I bought a hardtop for my MG, scratched the paint putting it on one day , disliked it ever since. And , like you imply Garret , claustrophobic.
    I (gasp) left the property today for stuff, one thing was to dice with the prince of darkness after a winter of lockdowns . He rose from his cloth insulated wiring tomb as expected, teased me by setting the horn off as I connected the last terminal, caused trepidation as he failed to ignite the fuel pump brushes and then smirked as finally after no work apart from looking , kicked it in.
    The pit of ' what possibly could go wrong'
    20211028_121727.jpg
    The car goes anyway.
    Last edited by John B; 10-27-2021 at 10:08 PM.

  11. #11876
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    41,883

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    and then smirked as finally after no work apart from looking , kicked it in.
    Definitely a visit from the Prince.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  12. #11877
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Co
    Posts
    8,591

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    The hardtop for my 450SL is quietly gathering dust on some saw horses in the corner of the shop. I would rather go full Shackelton than drive with it on.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues



  13. #11878
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    29,277

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Currently overcome with desire to bug this..
    Screenshot_2021-10-28-10-46-15.jpg
    Bug is auto corrected from buy , or just my fingers stabbing the wrong letter. Nevermind , it's appropriate.
    The fact I post this means I ain't gonna, but..dammit.
    This car appeared to me to be listed for a day. Gone.

  14. #11879
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    29,277

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Bump
    First drive of summer in the red non Ferrari today.
    20211102_084042.jpg

  15. #11880
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA
    Posts
    24,795

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Who can ID this?

    S.jpg

  16. #11881
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    3,661

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    My first thought was Borgward...but not.

  17. #11882
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA
    Posts
    24,795

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Another clue

    S 1100 TV.jpg

  18. #11883
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    113,958

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    a fiat, carrying this coachwork's badge

    F3BBC855-8A76-4CFE-BE3B-F99CB5CC7D35.jpeg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  19. #11884
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA
    Posts
    24,795

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.


  20. #11885
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA
    Posts
    24,795

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.


  21. #11886
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Indian Land, SC, USA
    Posts
    4,056

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Currently overcome with desire to bug this..
    Screenshot_2021-10-28-10-46-15.jpg.
    John B, is that actually a functioning parking meter on the end of that wooden 'bridge' , between the Bug eye and the red car ahead of it ? - I just noticed it on reviewing the thread - seems to be in an odd location !

  22. #11887
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Billings, Montana
    Posts
    999

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    #11882 - it shows a Montana license plate. What's up with that?

  23. #11888
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    29,277

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    John B, is that actually a functioning parking meter on the end of that wooden 'bridge' , between the Bug eye and the red car ahead of it ? - I just noticed it on reviewing the thread - seems to be in an odd location !
    Car dealer having a joke there Hawkeye, good spotting. As one would expect.
    Reminds me of a bay we used to visit, parking meter concrete into the rocks at the edge.

  24. #11889
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    113,958

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    but the car is a fiat and it does have vignale coachwork emblem on the quarter panel
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  25. #11890
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    3,661

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Was SIATA not the Spanish based arm of FIAT? That's what I'd always thought.

  26. #11891
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Isle of Mull, Scotland
    Posts
    8,997

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Was SIATA not the Spanish based arm of FIAT? That's what I'd always thought.
    That's Seat, now part of Volkswagen.

  27. #11892
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    3,661

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Thanks! I'm corrected. Now I have to research the actual history of Siata

  28. #11893
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA
    Posts
    24,795

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Davis View Post
    #11882 - it shows a Montana license plate. What's up with that?
    Evidentially, it belonged to someone from there. I photographed it in Atlanta after it was returning from the Mille Miglia.

    Siata (Societ Italiana Auto Trasformazioni Accessori in English Italian Car Transformation Accessories Company) was an Italian car tuning shop and manufacturer founded in 1926 by amateur race car driver Giorgio Ambrosini.

    Siata initially sold performance parts to modify and tune cars manufactured by Fiat. After World War II, the company began making its own sports cars under the Siata brand until its eventual bankruptcy following the first Arab oil embargo in the mid-1970s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siata

  29. #11894
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Seattle Washington USA
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Just dug up these photos of my 356B, bought in 1968 at age 18 with my own hard-earned money. I grew up in rural NorCal (Humboldt) where any kind of sports car was rare, so my dad drove with me down to SF and we looked at Porsches. There was a ratty yellow speedster I wanted but my dad thought the chocolate brown coupe looked better. I think I paid $1100 or $1200 for it.

    I drove it hard - 2 engine rebuilds, 1 transmission, couple clutches, lots of tires, front suspension after going airborne - but never wrecked it.

    Lots of memories in that car. I would go out on the back roads above Santa Clara/Palo Alto after the bars closed and the roads were empty, and drive too fast until daylight, then head to class. A couple of times my friend and I put chains on our tires (his car and mine) and raced through the muddy farmer's fields in San Jose. Squeezed 6 people in it once, along with some camping gear.

    Jack


    IMG_2471.jpg

  30. #11895
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    29,277

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Loudon View Post
    Just dug up these photos of my 356B, bought in 1968 at age 18 with my own hard-earned money. I grew up in rural NorCal (Humboldt) where any kind of sports car was rare, so my dad drove with me down to SF and we looked at Porsches. There was a ratty yellow speedster I wanted but my dad thought the chocolate brown coupe looked better. I think I paid $1100 or $1200 for it.

    I drove it hard - 2 engine rebuilds, 1 transmission, couple clutches, lots of tires, front suspension after going airborne - but never wrecked it.

    Lots of memories in that car. I would go out on the back roads above Santa Clara/Palo Alto after the bars closed and the roads were empty, and drive too fast until daylight, then head to class. A couple of times my friend and I put chains on our tires (his car and mine) and raced through the muddy farmer's fields in San Jose. Squeezed 6 people in it once, along with some camping gear.

    Jack


    IMG_2471.jpg
    And you've still got it tucked away in the garage eh Jack.

  31. #11896
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    113,958

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    jack loudon! that is a great story
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  32. #11897
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Seattle Washington USA
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    And you've still got it tucked away in the garage eh Jack.
    I wish!!! Sold it after a few years to do the 'Europe on $5 per Day' thing...

  33. #11898
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    29,277

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Loudon View Post
    I wish!!! Sold it after a few years to do the 'Europe on $5 per Day' thing...
    I sold a 34 Ford for a mortgage repayment about 1985 and a 39 deluxe coupe for the same a decade later. 240 zed to go travelling, Jailbar for a change, E type for a change and to go cruising. Actually the E type needed restoration , which figured in the decision. Just the MG quad bike now.

  34. #11899
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Seattle Washington USA
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I sold a 34 Ford for a mortgage repayment about 1985 and a 39 deluxe coupe for the same a decade later. 240 zed to go travelling, Jailbar for a change, E type for a change and to go cruising. Actually the E type needed restoration , which figured in the decision. Just the MG quad bike now.
    I drove an early E Type back in the day, was surprised that in spite of its 4-wheel discs and DOHC engine, it still had non-synchro first gear. A thing of beauty though and a pleasingly shocking transition from the XK150. I'd love to have owned one, and also your 240-Z. Nice that you hung on to the MGB; great car and fairly easy to work on, I would think. Also interesting you call it your quad bike, as that how I thought of my Miata.

    I have weaned myself off of sporty vehicles, though the demon still lurks within, searching for a chink in my armor.

    Jack

  35. #11900
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    29,277

    Default Re: Vintage sports and racing cars pictures.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Loudon View Post
    I drove an early E Type back in the day, was surprised that in spite of its 4-wheel discs and DOHC engine, it still had non-synchro first gear. A thing of beauty though and a pleasingly shocking transition from the XK150. I'd love to have owned one, and also your 240-Z. Nice that you hung on to the MGB; great car and fairly easy to work on, I would think. Also interesting you call it your quad bike, as that how I thought of my Miata.

    I have weaned myself off of sporty vehicles, though the demon still lurks within, searching for a chink in my armor.

    Jack
    I'm a coupe guy who doesn't do red, Jack. With the exception of a model A roadster that was never road legal (another sold to fund a mortgage) I'd never had an open top. The MG was a roadster and red. I had to take the red to get the car I wanted and to try out this convertible thing, which was an 80's restoration with provenance. I don't dislike the colour but would have preferred others.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •