Thread: dumbassedness

Default dumbassedness

A 24-year-old man was snatched by a crocodile in front of at least 15 onlookers as he swam across a northern Australian river with a friend, police said Sunday.
    Northern Territory police said the man was with a group celebrating a birthday at the Mary River Wilderness Retreat, about 110 kilometres (70 miles) from Darwin, on Saturday when he decided to plunge into the water.
    "They were watching him swim across," senior sergeant Geoff Bahnert told AFP of the group.
    "And they just saw a crocodile with him in its jaws."

Police conducted a search for the man, but were unsuccessful. The search was continuing Sunday, Bahnert said, adding that the largest crocodile at the site had been shot and killed as a precaution.

worthy precaution?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: dumbassedness

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    worthy precaution?
    No, you can't teach gators / crock's to not eat stupid people , at least he was close to Darwin when he applied for his "Darwin award".

should be safe now.

Not the crocs fault at all. If I strap on a backpack full of raw meat and walk into bear country I should expect unfavorable results. This isn't much different. Habituated animals are far different than those doing what comes naturally in their native habitat.
    Nosce te ipsum

so much for crocs having 'full protected status' in australia. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Maybe a dumbass preserve is in order? Round them all up and put them someplace where they can't hurt themselves.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Maybe a dumbass preserve is in order? Round them all up and put them someplace where they can't hurt themselves.
    Crocs gotta eat to, a win win!

Can Paul be the first resident?
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    Will there be Beer? Count me in.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Well someone needs to make sure the beer is cold. I'm afraid he might just a little too bright to go willingly though. But if you put this into the preserve where he could only see it at a distance, it's sure to lure him through the gates.

No sharp corners or edges for him to hurt himself on either.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby of Tulsa View Post
    Will there be Beer? Count me in.
    Tequila too!

Nosce te ipsum

Sometimes it seems as there's no limit to the stupid things even smart people will do.

This election vote for the party that believes in Evolution, Climate Change, a woman's right to maker her health decisions, raising the minimum wage, equal pay for equal work, more people having health insurance is a good thing, and thinks voting should be made easier to do.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Umm wanta to bet there was a sign that read " Caution Crocs! No swimming!"
    Last edited by S.V. Airlie; 08-25-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Umm w!anta to bet there was a sign that read " Caution Crocks! No swimming!"
    Probably a safe bet.

This is from the Mary River Wilderness Sanctuary website were the attack took place.

A true wilderness
    The park boasts a 3 kilometres of Mary River frontage and is a sanctuary for both woodland and wetland flora and fauna.
    The Mary River is approximately 300 kilometres in length with a catchment area of over 8,000 square kilometres. There are few permanent residents in the Mary River region, but it is home to a huge variety of wildlife including birds of prey, waterfowl, wallabies, water buffalo, dingos, lizards, snakes, salt water crocodiles and many species of fish.
    Nosce te ipsum

You'd win that bet. My understanding is that there were indeed warnings.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against every Republican, for every office, at every level. Be patriotic.

It's a shame about the crocs being shot, "in an effort to find the body". They know where the body is, and not inside the croc yet, it'll be wedged under a log somewhere to soften up. But humans don't like to be reminded they are still part of the food chain.

Not far from where we train American marines about the harsh realities of life
    Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Well someone needs to make sure the beer is cold. I'm afraid he might just a little too bright to go willingly though. But if you put this into the preserve where he could only see it at a distance, it's sure to lure him through the gates.

No sharp corners or edges for him to hurt himself on either.
    Right about now Paul is the least bright person I know.

Spill the beans. We won't tell him that you told us

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

I don't think so Phillip. At least, I wasn't in the twenty you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Spill the beans. We won't tell him that you told us
    HE knows what he did.

Still can't find that transit I guess?
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby of Tulsa View Post
    Will there be Beer?...
    There MUST be Beer - because 'Hold my Beer and watch this!' is a vital part of dumbassedness.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    aren't you guys the same guys who got after me because I thought it was stupid to take chances jumping off mountains and bridges and such?
    Well, I'm Chairman of the GOT.... and I dunno what you're on about. Care to elaborate, since you seem to think this thread is about you?

GOTCHA

Here's a photo taken where "dumbass" met his end, just 15 minutes before he went swimming. This is a 5 metre long croc...

RIP Sean Cole

A survey three weeks ago recorded four crocodiles over 4m and 10 to 12 salties measuring more than 3m.

He said any crocodile over 3.4m could have taken the man.
    Ms Bayard said all visitors were told not to go within 5m of the river and there were crocodile warning signs throughout the camp.
    There's been a few similar occurrences in recent years - many involving kids:

SATURDAY: A crocodile attacks Sean Cole while he is swimming with a mate, during a birthday party camp near the Mary River Wilderness Retreat, about halfway between Darwin and Kakadu National Park.

DECEMBER 1, 2012: A 4m crocodile killed a nine-year-old boy who was swimming with friends at a Territory beach at Port Bradshaw near Dhania outstation, 100km south of Nhulunbuy.

NOVEMBER 16, 2012: A 3m crocodile killed a seven-year-old girl who was swimming at a waterhole at Gumarrirnbang outstation about 110km southwest of Maningrida.

FEBRUARY 20, 2011: A crocodile killed a 14-year-old boy playing in a creek with his brothers in Milingimbi 450km east of Darwin.

APRIL 2009: Father-of-two Keith Parry, 20, was killed by a 4m croc while trying to swim across the Daly River, south of Darwin.

MARCH 2009: 11-year-old Briony Goodsell was killed at Black Jungle Swamp at Lambells Lagoon in Darwin's rural area while swimming with her sister and two friends.

JULY 2006: A 5m crocodile killed an eight-year-old girl as she fished with her family on the Blythe River.

SEPTEMBER 2005: Darwin man Russell Butel, 55, was killed off the Cobourg Peninsula, while diving with a mate in Trepang Bay.

SEPTEMBER 2005: A 4m croc killed Russell Harris, 37, while he snorkelled off Groote Eylandt in the Gulf of Carpentaria.

DECEMBER 2003: A 4m croc killed Brett Mann, 22, while he cleaned his quad bike in the Finniss River, 100km south of Darwin. His two friends spent 22 hours up a tree waiting to be rescued while the croc stalked them below.

OCTOBER 22, 2002: Isabel von Jordan, a 24-year-old student from Germany, was killed by a 5m saltwater crocodile in Kakadu National Park's Sandy Creek billabong while swimming with a group of tourists.

DECEMBER 23, 1998: Peter Munkara, 34, an artist from Melville Island, was found near the island's Paru boat ramp with crocodile bite marks on his body.

AUGUST 7, 1998: The body of a man in his 20s was found in the Roper River, 500km southeast of Darwin.

DECEMBER 13, 1997: A man was killed trying to swim across the Daly River, 230km south of Darwin.

MAY 11, 1990: Albert Juzelionas, 43, a Jabiru Telecom worker, was killed while swimming off Groote Eylandt.

OCTOBER 1988: Alex Bururru, 25, of Maningrida, was killed in Cato River near Nhulunbuy, NT.

MARCH 17, 1987: Kerry McLoughlin, 40, a Jabiru storeman, was decapitated by a 5.1m crocodile while wading at Cahills Crossing on the East Alligator River in Kakadu. He threw a beer can at its head to try to escape, which did little to deter the animal.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/201...17_ntnews.html

Meanwhile... it seems the crocs are on the walkabout....

The Birdsville croc in far south-west Queensland caught on the weekend has arrived at his new temporary home at a theme park on the Gold Coast.

The croc was caught on the weekend after a team had spent almost two weeks trying to catch him.

The 1.4 metre freshwater crocodile had been living in the Diamantina River, which is up to 1,000 kilometres away from its usual habitat, but there were concerns about the animal's welfare.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-2...e-park/4911552

Amazing.

Now... I have to admit... I used to surf at beaches where there'd been attacks by great white sharks. But the attacks were exceedingly rare, and only late in summer when there was the unusual push of warmer water up from the California coast. People in California surf in such waters all the time... and attacks are still rare. But CROCODILES???? Not for all the bauxite in OZ.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Amazing.

Now... I have to admit... I used to surf at beaches where there'd been attacks by great white sharks. But the attacks were exceedingly rare, and only late in summer when there was the unusual push of warmer water up from the California coast. People in California surf in such waters all the time... and attacks are still rare. But CROCODILES???? Not for all the bauxite in OZ.
    You can go a long way without seeing one. When we did Cairns-Cape York-Cairns, I clocked up 3,000 km (its only 1,000 each way, but we didn't go the direct route) we only saw 4 of them between us.... and a couple of them were splashes as we went past.

edit... here's the signs that are seen multiple times every day

We all went for a bit of a swim in this creek... well away from normal saltie territory, but were told later that there's supposedly a big salty just around the corner

We rode across this river at the start of that trip... and I've definitely seen crocs in it... but further downstream

No warning signs at either of those crossings... but plenty around most of the billabongs and creeks all the way north...

Not here though... and the guys saw two of "our" four here. A small one behind where I stood to take this and a medium size one in here. We hung around for ten minutes or so... but couldn't spot them again.

Pick your spot though... and the swimming's great

Read your guidebooks for travel in a lot of places though, for example, Timor-Leste, and they'll warn about salties. Lonely Planet said that when they visited the south of Timor-Leste, three villagers had been taken by salties that month.... and that's why we didn't wade through this creek to get to the wreck of HMAS Voyager.

precaution? just a tad late, doncha think?
    "And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Nietzsche

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.

Nanner's Website.
    Nanner's Blog

Cole's body has been recovered.

Dumb asses can't be saved from themselves. When you meet one, run the other way! Don't do like I did and marry their king.

Ouch! Bad day, Katherine?

Dumb asses can't be saved from themselves. When you meet one, run the other way! Don't do like I did and marry their king.
    Which would explain why you are now their Queen.
    Tom

Just tired of his Bull $hit!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Which would explain why you are now their Queen.
    Quite possibly, lol

Quite possibly, lol
    All Hail - the queen of the dumbasses!!!

It's good that you still have your sense of humor. Much more fun than homicide charges!!

Sounds like you just might need a larger Riding Crop, however???
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Cool Re: dumbassedness

When I was 9 years old in 1967, my family went camping in Everglades National Park in Florida.
    Gators everywhere and no fences, warning signs said camp at your own risk.
    One of our neighbors lost his dog to them.

This song came out a few years later.

We call it the dumbass anthem.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Anyone catch 60 minutes last night? They had a segment on diving with Nile crocs and Anderson Cooper actually got in the water with them.
    Tom
    http://www.ccmanuals.com

'Don't fart, and then point at the dog'

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    All Hail - the queen of the dumbasses!!!

. . .

Sounds like you just might need a larger Riding Crop, however???
    Careful there. You keep up that kind of talk, next thing you know, she'll be Governor of Alaska.

Chris W said it best.